XY OU Suspect Process, Round 3 - BATON PASS [READ POST #590]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly see no point in talking about some hypothetical solution to a problem because that gets us nowhere. We can abstractly discuss how slight modifications to one's team allows them to efficiently deal with BP without losing significant ground to other playstyles. However, such a conversation would be absolutely useless unless we can actually apply it, which would require us to discuss actual options.
I'm not quite sure why that gets us nowhere given that the basis of something being banned based on its lack of consistent and available counters relies on actually developing theories on its consistent and available counters. Granted, even if Gengar were a sure fire counter to BP most anyone could slap onto a team, it still wouldn't be enough to avoid a ban on BP due to strict over centralizing in team building in regards to not only itself, but also what can be used against it.

I'm hoping there will be more serious investigation on the matter of BP counters once everyone gets the "I'm tired of dealing with it, ban it so I can stop worrying about it" out of their systems.

I'm not quite sure why that gets us nowhere given that the basis of something being banned based on its lack of consistent and available counters relies on actually developing theories on its consistent and available counters. Granted, even if Gengar were a sure fire counter to BP most anyone could slap onto a team, it still wouldn't be enough to avoid a ban on BP due to strict over centralizing in team building in regards to not only itself, but also what can be used against it.

I'm hoping there will be more serious investigation on the matter of BP counters once everyone gets the "I'm tired of dealing with it, ban it so I can stop worrying about it" out of their systems.
Talking about a hypothetical situation in which a team is edited to counter BP while doing just as well against other playstyles as they had done before the edit is pointless, especially when so few cases of this have been reported and, the only times they have been reported, there is nothing to back-up these claims other than a person's own experiences, which we agreed where useless.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything but, as of now, the only person lingering on that idea is you. Multiple times throughout this thread that argument has been brought up as a way to avoid actually arguing the points being presented, instead passing them off as people not wanting to deal with something. Very few times, if ever, has anyone actually posted saying they want it banned for that reason alone. So, it would be much more productive if you stopped trying to say that that is what people are saying because nobody apart from yourself is even discussing such a topic.

I'm going to have to retire from this thread for the next 10-12 hours because I have a paper to write that is due in 12 hours and, given my attention span and previous history, I'll need all of that time.

Was there any kind of collection from the high tier OU suspect ladder match replays? It would be nice to have actual broad matchup data pulled from the exercise.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything but, as of now, the only person lingering on that idea is you. Multiple times throughout this thread that argument has been brought up as a way to avoid actually arguing the points being presented, instead passing them off as people not wanting to deal with something.
To be very clear, I am not proposing that as an actual point of argument against those pro-ban. Just an expression of dismay with the general idea of banning something and refusing to making a concession in one's style of play to counter it and that somehow being commendable.

God speed on your paper.

Last edited:
Was there any kind of collection from the high tier OU suspect ladder match replays? It would be nice to have actual broad matchup data pulled from the exercise.

To be very clear, I am not proposing that as an actual point of argument against those pro-ban. Just an expression of dismay with the general idea of banning something and refusing to making a concession in one's style of play to counter it and that somehow being commendable.

God speed on your paper.
As far as I know, nobody was saying that you couldn't or shouldn't run Trevenant or whatever you were proposing. Rather, the argument was being made how either unreliable the method was or how inefficient it was outside of BP.

Being a exprienced Baton Pass player before the denissss incident, I can tell you that none of the "counters" or "checks" listed can stop baton pass. If there's a problem, Smeargle spores you and puts your "counter" or "check" out of action unless you want to waste a few turns waiting for it to wake up. Worst case scenario you sac Smeargle and restart the chain. The only real counter is Sheninja which isn't viable in OU and is practically deadweight against any other well-played team. And even then Baton Pass players like myself can squeeze in a toxic user. So please stop suggesting "counters and checks" that are useless against any other style other than Baton Pass. If you think one pokemon to beat a style is worth it, wait till you lose to any other well-played style because you are essentially playing 5v6
HO has no checks because sash Breloom can just come in and put your check to sleep.

Stall/Balance have no checks because Mega Venusaur can just come in and put your check to sleep.

Please. Everybody knows sleep beats everything and is one of the most broken shit in the meta. That's what we have a sleep clause for. Abuse it. Also Smeargle is extremelly vulnerable to a single layer of rocks.

And stop with this "X doesn't count because it isn't guaranteed to beat BP 100%". I've said before, this kind of argument is bullshit. Nothing should be guaranteed to beat an entire playstyle 100%, or such a playstyle wouldn't be viable.

Perish Song Azumarill actually seems like a pretty good idea. It's not like Superpower/Knock Off are used that much, specially on the CB set. Seems like a good trade to beat BP.

HO has no checks because sash Breloom can just come in and put your check to sleep.

Stall/Balance have no checks because Mega Venusaur can just come in and put your check to sleep.

Please. Everybody knows sleep beats everything and is one of the most broken shit in the meta. That's what we have a sleep clause for. Abuse it. Also Smeargle is extremelly vulnerable to a single layer of rocks.

And stop with this "X doesn't count because it isn't guaranteed to beat BP 100%". I've said before, this kind of argument is bullshit. Nothing should be guaranteed to beat an entire playstyle 100%, or such a playstyle wouldn't be viable.

Perish Song Azumarill actually seems like a pretty good idea. It's not like Superpower/Knock Off are used that much, specially on the CB set. Seems like a good trade to beat BP.
I think you entirely missed the point of that post by focusing on one line out of context. He specified that the counters you had then mentioned were not true counters to BP because they simply threatened a portion of the chain and could easily be remedied by Spore from Smeargle assuming they would rather not switch out. As for your counterexamples(?), they aren't even comparable because the number of checks/counters HO and Stall have far outnumber the number for BP, making it much more unlikely that your mentioned Pokemon could simply switch in and put stuff to sleep.

As for your disliking of the argument you claim people are making, I hardly see how your calling it BS simply because nothing will 100% beat a playstyle is supposed to refute such arguments. To begin with, you are once again calling BP (5+1) a playstyle and trying to compare its situation with other playstyles. It has been established more times than you repeated what you said you repeated that BP is not a playstyle in the same sense as HO/Stall/Balance. As such, a 100% check or something very close is much more likely for BP than it is for other playstyles so trying to reference other playstyles to explain why 100% checks are irrelevant is an inaccurate comparison.

I am pretty sure Superpower/Knock Off are used significantly more times than Perish Song would be currently used. Do you have any reason to say that it is a good trade-off apart from the fact that you don't think people use Superpower/Knock Off?

Last edited:
As far as I know, nobody was saying that you couldn't or shouldn't run Trevenant or whatever you were proposing. Rather, the argument was being made how either unreliable the method was or how inefficient it was outside of BP.
Another poster condemning my opinion as worthless because I dared to suggest something like Trevenant as a viable answer was a bit souring. Regardless, I propose it isn't that inefficient and that there are viable options to deal with BP that don't remove team power too much.

I am pretty sure Superpower/Knock Off are used significantly more times than Perish Song would be currently used. Do you have any reason to say that it is a good trade-off apart from the fact that you don't think people use Superpower/Knock Off?
I looked this up, actually. Superpower is strictly used for one pokemon. Ferrothorn. I think it is completely acceptable to lose at attack designed specifically to hit a single pokemon out of 719 in order to better fight a team archetype.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I looked this up, actually. Superpower is strictly used for one pokemon. Ferrothorn. I think it is completely acceptable to lose at attack designed specifically to hit a single pokemon out of 719 in order to better fight a team archetype.
If the opponent has a chance to switch Ferrothorn into a CB Waterfall or Play Rough, then they WILL. Of course, they'll have to deal with opponents predicting it and using Superpower, but that's just part of the game. Ferrothorn isn't "a single pokemon out of 719", it's one of the most reliable switch-ins to any of Azumarill's STAB moves. The point is, you cannot portray this as being any less important than being able to "beat" (CB Perish Song, seriously?) Baton Pass chains with Perish Song, because Ferrothorn is far more relevant threat that Azumarill will want to be able to deal with. Giving up the ability to hit a would-be counter is a very big deal, and that's exactly what running Perish Song would do.

How much of a liability sacrificing Superpower or Knock Off is can only be decided by the player building the team. For you, I can assume that you don't think that it's a very big deal, but I very highly doubt that the majority shares your opinion. Most would not want to use something as ridiculous as Choice Band Perish Song in order to "beat" such a wild-card strategy.

Of course, there are more viable ways of preparing for Baton Pass, but the problem lies in the fact that games are determined solely by how much you are willing to prepare with your team for Baton Pass. The outcome of games depending on the use of otherwise questionable strategies such as Perish Song is not something that I would find healthy for the metagame.

option 2, MAKE IT HAPEN

I think you entirely missed the point of that post by focusing on one line out of context. He specified that the counters you had then mentioned were not true counters to BP because they simply threatened a portion of the chain and could easily be remedied by Spore from Smeargle assuming they would rather not switch out. As for your counterexamples(?), they aren't even comparable because the number of checks/counters HO and Stall have far outnumber the number for BP, making it much more unlikely that your mentioned Pokemon could simply switch in and put stuff to sleep.

As for your disliking of the argument you claim people are making, I hardly see how your calling it BS simply because nothing will 100% beat a playstyle is supposed to refute such arguments. To begin with, you are once again calling BP (5+1) a playstyle and trying to compare its situation with other playstyles. It has been established more times than you repeated what you said you repeated that BP is not a playstyle in the same sense as HO/Stall/Balance. As such, a 100% check or something very close is much more likely for BP than it is for other playstyles so trying to reference other playstyles to explain why 100% checks are irrelevant is an inaccurate comparison.

I've used CB Azumarill before and I rarely used Superpower/Nock Off because I would end up being locked into weaker moves, and the opponent would switch into things that resisted them. I also don't see Azumarill using them most of the time, they usually spam Water/Fairy moves. Actually, most Azumarills I see have Belly Drum instead, because they can afford not to have a coverage move. Water/Fairy is just that good of a combination.

So if I have to sacrifice a bit of coverage they offer to get coverage against BP, why not? If BP is a prominent playstyle, I need to have something to fight against it just like against every other strategy.

And yes, it is a playstyle. It's a legitimate way to build a team just like any other style. Why shouldn't it be? Because you hate fighting against it? This is the same thing I've been saying it for a long time, people are trying to create an ideal metagame where BP doesn't exist, and saying BP is broken because it doesn't belong to said magical metagame. Instead, they should accept that BP exists and adapt the meta to it. BP is part of the meta, will be part of the meta until it's nerfed (and may still be after it's nerfed), and will be until the end of the gen if it's not nerfed. The people who actually recognized that and prepared their teams against the real meta didn't have problems against BP in the suspect ladder. The people who want to play an artificial dumbed down meta instead of the real one are the ones who have trouble against BP teams. That's like refusing to prepare a team against stall because you hate stall, then ask for it to be nerfed because your team is not prepared against stall.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Since we're back on CB Perish Song Azumarill...

The thing is, though, is that both Knock Off and Superpower not only do damage, but also hit multiple things. Perish Song on a choice set is probably one of the biggest and worst gimmicks out there. It does no damage and hits one thing and one thing only, only for the chain to restart after the weakest link (usually Smeargle) has been KOed. Also...

28 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 288-342 (71.2 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 28 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 432-510 (106.9 - 126.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That pretty much guarantees that this can only happen once, which assumes that there are zero boosts involved (which if thats the case, they just manually switch and you get absolutely nothing). And if there are boosts, G_g.

If youre gonna suggest a counter/check to BP, for the love of god PLEASE dont resort to terrible gimmicks. CB Perish Song Azu is high up on the list for a terrible gimmick.
So on top of that, I'll add in my personal experience with CB Azu. A lot of my teams use her. The wallbreaking power of the set cannot be denied, as she hits everything like a truck. There are only a few safe switching to it, and bein as to beat one of them with coverage has more uses than you give it credit for. Superpower is mandatory. Simple as that. The only exception is when my team has at least two other pokes that can kill Ferrothorn. If that's the case, then I'll run Knock Off. Why? Because it provides utility. It cripples opposing Pokémon that rely on their items and is really the ONLY reliable way for CB Azu to hit Aegislash. On top of that, Chansey is on every stall team, and Knocking Off that Eviolite has saved my ass more than once. The utility it provides is a hell of a lot more than I'd get if I were to use fucking Perish Song. I haven't once in my entire XY OU career wished that I had Perish Song. Not once, even when facing Baton Pass. Why? Because it's a shitty gimmick that holds no merit. In my post I quoted, it's basically shown that it only works ONCE. And on that fateful third turn, the BP player simply sacs the weakest link on the team and restarts the chain as if nothing had happened. You gain nothing, and now you have a near dead/dead mon that's not only useless against the BP team, but also severely limited in its effectiveness against the rest of the meta. I have no desire to be locked into a shitty move. No one does. And when that shitty move fails to beat the thing it's supposed to beat, then that shitty move becomes even shittier.

And I don't want any of the 'you're just unwilling to adapt to beat a team' bullshit. Because it's not true. I've had to alter more than one team to deal with Baton Pass. And these teams just simply aren't as good as they could be, simply because I have to run something in order to have a CHANCE against BP. If my counter is gone, GG no re. It's not like that against any other playstyle. If I'm facing Sand Offense and my Azumarill goes down, I can still play around Sand Rush Excadrill. If I'm facing DeoSharp and I happen to Defog against Bisharp and trigger Defiant, I can still beat it by playing around it. If I'm facing stall and I happen to lose my stall breaker, I can still beat stall if I outplay my opponent. Sure, my victories aren't guaranteed if I lose my win condition, but the chance is still there. If you lose your counter to Baton Pass, your chance is gone unless the hax gods reign in your favor.

Unless you can prove me wrong by providing sufficient evidence that beating Baton Pass is easy once you lose your 'counter' to it, do so. Provide replays. Prove that you're not just talking out of your ass. Because that's what it looks like right now with the CB Perish Song set.

And yes, it is a playstyle. It's a legitimate way to build a team just like any other style..
It's literally one team though. Why build a team, when you've got the perfect one carved in stone? (especially since Deniss dropped the Mime for Zapdos, which was literally his only change)

people are trying to create an ideal metagame where BP doesn't exist, and saying BP is broken because it doesn't belong to said magical metagame. Instead, they should accept that BP exists and adapt the meta to it. BP is part of the meta, will be part of the meta until it's nerfed (and may still be after it's nerfed), and will be until the end of the gen if it's not nerfed. The people who actually recognized that and prepared their teams against the real meta didn't have problems against BP in the suspect ladder. The people who want to play an artificial dumbed down meta instead of the real one are the ones who have trouble against BP teams. That's like refusing to prepare a team against stall because you hate stall, then ask for it to be nerfed because your team is not prepared against stall.
But... creating the closest thing to the "ideal metagame" is exactly the purpose of suspect tests?? Not doing anything and just letting it "fix itself" is kind of defeating the whole purpose of the exercise of suspect tests in general, and it really doesn't go

It's clear that Baton Pass is having a deleterious effect on the meta, but I don't just think, it's the team alone. In fact, people are already adapting to Baton Pass in the real meta by running multiple Taunters and inherently advantageous matchups like Landorus and Pinsir, most of which are offensive in nature, as well as the HO team in general. The overall result is hyperoffence, already out of control with things that have no welcome in OU, becoming ever more powerful, while styles with inherent disadvantages against BP like stall receiving the chilling effect on both fronts.

And despite people's attempt to adapt to BP, Deniss is still making top 10 of the ladder up to this day, because you fight an uphill battle everytime you face that team. Which goes into the other problem, which is of course the team itself, and the last 25 pages have explained, why it's imbalanced as fuck and just terrible. What I'm saying is, it's really more stifling to the meta than you would think.

This is not to say that nerfing BP will magically result in a happy balanced meta (there's still a lot work to do) but at this point, leaving it be will only make the problem worse imo.

Since we're back on CB Perish Song Azumarill...
I like how you sit in the corner until you hear this one phrase you can key in on, not saying a thing when other more valid options were mentioned, only to hop in again when you can get another cheap shot in on something we've moved past. It shows character. Very respectable. +1 like.

It's literally one team though. Why build a team, when you've got the perfect one carved in stone? (especially since Deniss dropped the Mime for Zapdos, which was literally his only change)
But it isn't perfect. Denisss made the change to Zapdos because people weren't pressuring his team with a move that shuts it down pretty hard, consistently. If more people ran Perish Song in prep to counter BP do you think he would come onto the forums asking for Perish Song to be banned because he has to use the "inferior" version of his team with Mr. Mime on it to compensate? We know no one wants to "weaken" their team in order to account for an opponent's advantages, after all.

And despite people's attempt to adapt to BP, Deniss is still making top 10 of the ladder up to this day, because you fight an uphill battle everytime you face that team. Which goes into the other problem, which is of course the team itself, and the last 25 pages have explained, why it's imbalanced as fuck and just terrible. What I'm saying is, it's really more stifling to the meta than you would think.
For a "balanced and ideal metagame" do you think Baton Pass is as dominating and polarizing as Drizzle + Swift Swim was in Gen 5?

Likewise, should Deniss not be in the top 10? If he is maintaining his position he more than likely deserves it, imho, simply for being a good player who built a good team and plays it well. If the suspect test showed anything it was that BP was a joke if you do not play it with some kind of skill.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tactical

I haven't really felt the need to say anything, but if you insist...

Perish Song Gengar:
This isn't Ubers. Mega Hengar isn't a thing here. Gengar doesn't have the bulk nor the moveslots to use Perish Song. He can't trap anything, and right now, the two best sets are Stallbreaker and LO Attacker. The Stallbreaker set does just that: Stallbreak. But on top of that, it also maintains offensive presence, and it has the opportunity to cripple HO by using Will o Wisp. The LO attacker set does that: attack. STABs + Sub/Pain Split + Focus Blast is really all he can afford to use. There's no room for a shitty move on their. Sure, you can create your own customized Perish Trapper set, but what does that accomplish against other playstyles? Practically nothing. Go to Ubers if you want that. Prove that Perish Song is viable. Otherwise, it's almost as laughable as CB Azu.

Curse Trevanant:
Yeah no. If you can for it on your team, +1 to you. It only fits on stall, and stall has better things to do and better things to use. Amoonguss/Mega Venusaur outclass Trevanant as defensive grass types. Harvest LumRest/Harvest Sitrus isn't as annoying as it was when XY first came out.

Everything else:
I don't feel like I have to say what's been said dozens of times a page. If yu want my response, the. Read what the others have said in regards to your arguments. It's basically the same.

The Gengar Trapper set has existed since Gen 2. Saying it doesn't accomplish anything against other playstyles is a bit laughable when it has been a proven veteran of a build for generations. If you can absolutely think of no possible applications for him, stallbraking better than the stallbreaker set and removing support pokemon from balanced teams are his two highest appeals.

Though, if you feel like you don't have to say what's been said, you may feel free to not say anything at all. I'll take your known opinion into consideration, don't worry about it.

The Gengar Trapper set has existed since Gen 2.
"has existed since Gen 2"
LOL
Please tell me more on how Curselax, Drumlax, Growth Vaporeon, Thick Club Marowak, Agility + BP Jolteon, etc. have existed since GSC and are still viable. Perish Song wasn't even the most viable set on Gengar (it was outclassed by Misdreavus, so Perish Song Gengar would only be used for surprise value at best).

Saying it doesn't accomplish anything against other playstyles is a bit laughable when it has been a proven veteran of a build for generations.
You should really be more informed when making analogies of this mold, esp. about old gens, something completely foreign to most players (lel gsc ez stall). Perish Song Gengar was only somewhat viable in ONE generation, which is COMPLETELY different from now. How can you compare XY OU to GSC OU? LOL. You might as well run Body Slam / Hyper Beam / Earthquake / Blizzard Tauros, because that was a proven veteran of RBY. You might as well use Calm Mind Blissey because ADV. Or even something as recent as Hidden Power Bug Keldeo. Is that viable because it was proven good last generation? You might say that it was viable several generations. In that case, Knock Off is still a terrible move, Hypnosis is a great move, and Mean Look + BP is an effective way to get rid of roadblocks. You're comparing Granny Smith apples to $5 footlong subs.

If you can absolutely think of no possible applications for him, stallbraking better than the stallbreaker set and removing support pokemon from balanced teams are his two highest appeals.
What does this even mean? Getting rid of useful moves against ALL team archetypes just to deal with one/two different teams (with slight EV and moveset variation and Zapdos / Mr. Mime flip-flop at most)? That's an effective way to play 5v6 most games, isn't it? Like running Shedinja.

Though, if you feel like you don't have to say what's been said, you may feel free to not say anything at all. I'll take your known opinion into consideration, don't worry about it.
Comparing XY Baton Pass to GSC sets, misrepresenting them even, is beyond stupid. If Jorgen, Borat, Mr. E, Royal Flush, etc. ever see this thread... (don't want to tag)

EDIT:
Also, a bit of old gen history. Perish Song has been historically useful mainly on defensive Celebi in ADV (Gen 3 / RSE), occasionally on Politoed in BW(2). In the former's case, it was mainly meant to put a full stop to last-Pokemon sweepers, namely Curselax (lol) and CroCune. It's completely absurd to analyze something's effectiveness in an entirely different metagame and relate it to today's as useful.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Gengar Trapper set has existed since Gen 2. Saying it doesn't accomplish anything against other playstyles is a bit laughable when it has been a proven veteran of a build for generations. If you can absolutely think of no possible applications for him, stallbraking better than the stallbreaker set and removing support pokemon from balanced teams are his two highest appeals.

a proven veteran of a build for generations
Just because a poke was good one gen doesnt mean it is the best. Like others said, stuff like drumlax, drum clef arent good. I have enough experience with older gens to say persh song (non-mega) gengar is utter shite, taunt gengar would be better as it hits espeon hard before boosts. Then azumarril, giving up a move in a 4mmss for a perish song is not worth it. Why are you people talking about perish song when bp has a mon solely to beat it: Mr mime.
If your going to mention perish song users, seel is where it is.

Also, from your earlier posts, dont mention trevenant. It got rejected from qc and isnt even on the viability rankings (you might want to pay a visit there).

Using gimmicks to beat a strategy show how bp is broken, your basically helping pro-ban side.

Another poster condemning my opinion as worthless because I dared to suggest something like Trevenant as a viable answer was a bit souring. Regardless, I propose it isn't that inefficient and that there are viable options to deal with BP that don't remove team power too much.

Honestly, I had to reread my quote three or four times to try and understand what you were crying about. I said that people, myself included, were condemning Trevenant, not saying that your opinion is worthless because of that suggestion alone. By trying to play the victim, you are essentially attempting to avoid actually answering the point brought up. Once again, your personal experience alone isn't sufficient to say that Trevenant isn't inefficient, especially since we can call bias as we could in any other similar situation involving anybody else doing something similar.

I was waiting for you to go read the analysis to see why they recommended using Superpower so that I could respond. Your assumption is that people only use Superpower for that one thing mentioned in the analysis which is, as common sense would dictate, a silly assumption to make. Regardless, you are dropping Superpower, which supposedly is only used for Ferrothorn, to hit BP, which is far less common than Ferrothorn. Also, you refuse to address the other options for that moveslot and instead just focus on what you can respond to, Superpower.

I've used CB Azumarill before and I rarely used Superpower/Nock Off because I would end up being locked into weaker moves, and the opponent would switch into things that resisted them. I also don't see Azumarill using them most of the time, they usually spam Water/Fairy moves. Actually, most Azumarills I see have Belly Drum instead, because they can afford not to have a coverage move. Water/Fairy is just that good of a combination.

So if I have to sacrifice a bit of coverage they offer to get coverage against BP, why not? If BP is a prominent playstyle, I need to have something to fight against it just like against every other strategy.

And yes, it is a playstyle. It's a legitimate way to build a team just like any other style. Why shouldn't it be? Because you hate fighting against it? This is the same thing I've been saying it for a long time, people are trying to create an ideal metagame where BP doesn't exist, and saying BP is broken because it doesn't belong to said magical metagame. Instead, they should accept that BP exists and adapt the meta to it. BP is part of the meta, will be part of the meta until it's nerfed (and may still be after it's nerfed), and will be until the end of the gen if it's not nerfed. The people who actually recognized that and prepared their teams against the real meta didn't have problems against BP in the suspect ladder. The people who want to play an artificial dumbed down meta instead of the real one are the ones who have trouble against BP teams. That's like refusing to prepare a team against stall because you hate stall, then ask for it to be nerfed because your team is not prepared against stall.
As I've said to other people before, why do you think your individual experiences alone should matter whatsoever? I rarely use Giga Drain when I use Mega Venu, does that mean it should be replaced? As for BD Azu, I think that further goes to support how Perish Song CB Azumarill isn't the type of fix we need. The majority of Azumarills are BD (41% vs 30%), so trying to propose switching to CB Azumarill solely for Perish Song because, unless people are idiots and just use something because it is fun or something, there is a reason BD is more common than CB.

Two things: 1. Who said BP was prominent? 2. Has anyone, in these 26 pages, every tried to refute the argument that BP is not a playstyle?

Now, before you say something like, "If it isn't prominent, then who cares" let me cover that (once again x5). Things are tested because they are broken, uncompetitive etc., nowhere is there a minimum usage requirement for those definitions. SwagPlay usage was under a percent and it still got suspected. Trying to argue that nobody uses it so there is no reason to pay attention to it is entirely foolish in its attempt to avoid the actual arguments because it proposes that we should wait until something becomes a serious problem to take care of it, at which time many people, yourself possibly included, will complain about how something like this was left unchecked for long enough to become a problem.

This last paragraph literally asked a question and did exactly what people have been doing for the last Arceus knows how many pages as they attempt to refuse to address the actual points brought up. You asked a question. Then you answered the question. And, in doing that, you have demonstrated clearly why it is best not to waste time trying to argue with you. I think I said it just last page and here you are, proving me insanely right. You apparently think that people think that BP isn't a playstyle because they don't like playing against it. In other words, you demonstrated how little you pay attention to or retain other people's arguments as you repeatedly argue in circles, refusing to address the actual arguments at every step. BP is not a playstyle in the same sense as HO and stall, which is the context people have been using that term in, because it is literally one team with maybe one point of variation. The "core" is Scolipede/Vaporeon/Sylveon/Espeon/Smeargle, so all of the team but one Pokemon. The "options" are Mr. Mime or Zapdos. So it is literally 5+1. If, even after this, you come back in the next couple of pages saying people just don't want to deal with it, then you have made it clear that you have no intention to address arguments apart from the ones you make up and, in that case, I would propose that people just stop trying with you as it would be proven to be futile.

I like how you sit in the corner until you hear this one phrase you can key in on, not saying a thing when other more valid options were mentioned, only to hop in again when you can get another cheap shot in on something we've moved past. It shows character. Very respectable. +1 like.

But it isn't perfect. Denisss made the change to Zapdos because people weren't pressuring his team with a move that shuts it down pretty hard, consistently. If more people ran Perish Song in prep to counter BP do you think he would come onto the forums asking for Perish Song to be banned because he has to use the "inferior" version of his team with Mr. Mime on it to compensate? We know no one wants to "weaken" their team in order to account for an opponent's advantages, after all.

For a "balanced and ideal metagame" do you think Baton Pass is as dominating and polarizing as Drizzle + Swift Swim was in Gen 5?

Likewise, should Deniss not be in the top 10? If he is maintaining his position he more than likely deserves it, imho, simply for being a good player who built a good team and plays it well. If the suspect test showed anything it was that BP was a joke if you do not play it with some kind of skill.
Just to make sure I understood that first part correctly, you were crying about people undermining your opinion because of Trevenant earlier and now you degrade another person's opinion simply because, in your limited experience, they only reply to specific topics? You are, once again, attempting to downplay arguments by either playing the victim or bringing up irrelevant points yourself. How about you try to respond to actual arguments rather than trying to circle around them to make it look like you got where you were supposed to get.

Honestly, it would be in your best interest to not try and bring up Denisss's actions because then you'd have to take into account everything he has said, unless, of course, you would like to continue selectively choosing what you see and acknowledge. Denisss made it clear that BP needs to be nerfed, so by listing off all these possible fixes and then quoting Denisss for points, you are making two contradictory arguments. If these checks were so evident and not problematic, then Denisss probably wouldn't be advocating a nerf.

Great comparison except that this goes back to the point that BP hasn't reached a high enough usage for everyone to prepare for it or play it. Even though that is the case, the increase in less specialized counters, such as Taunt, which can only stop the chain late game, have seen an increase in use. Seeing how this is by no means effective, the metagame will have to adapt further with specialized counters, leading to polarization. This exact topic of adaptation was covered about 17 pages ago, I am now legitimately curious as to if you have read this thread in its entirety.

That point is pretty meaningless, it only sounds as if it has a point. The Gengar Trapper set was created in Gen II so, yes, it has been around since Gen II but it most certainly hasn't seen routine use since Gen II. It was listed under Other Options two generations in a row, so it was used Gen II and III and not recommended after that. So, your claim is completely invalid because it is only a veteran in that it has seen four generations, not because it has been played that time.

As for your last point, you once again attempt to undermine a person's opinion because of something irrelevant, such as when they post, so soon after you cry about people supposedly saying your opinion was meaningless because of Trevenant. I strongly recommend that you avoid further attempts to point fingers and avoid arguments by playing the victim because a) it is unproductive seeing how you leave chunks of arguments unaddressed and b) you are making yourself look like a fool when nobody is saying what you are crying about except for you to an extent.

Last edited:
[missed the point completely]
[pretty much said the same thing] ... [though he was correct in that seel is the bomb]
The point was that there was a precedence for Perish Trapper Gengar before the Baton Pass team existed as a concept, that this was not a "customized perish trapper set" as Cloneblazer suggested as the pokemon actually has been used in a capacity strictly to optimize the use of the move in question in the past, not just something haphazardly thrown onto its moveset and called good.
Getting rid of useful moves against ALL team archetypes just to deal with one/two different teams (with slight EV and moveset variation and Zapdos / Mr. Mime flip-flop at most)? That's an effective way to play 5v6 most games, isn't it? Like running Shedinja.
I, personally, dislike playing against Perish Trappers a lot more than standard stall breaker sets. I know, meaningless, not indicative of anything as Perish Song obviously has no applications outside of Baton Pass and only Baton Pass and will kill the pokemon using it instantly if used otherwise in addition to deleting your Showdown account. But seriously, sarcasm aside, it isn't worse in "every other matchup" as much as all of you want to insist. Less optimal? Sure, in some cases, but it lends itself to different strengths in others that can have its own merits. As a bonus it even lets you do more against a team one may struggle against instead of rave about how it should be banned and is unfair because there are no counters to it.
I said that people, myself included, were condemning Trevenant, not saying that your opinion is worthless because of that suggestion alone. By trying to play the victim, you are essentially attempting to avoid actually answering the point brought up.
What actual point brought up? "Trevenant is bad" to be countered with "Nah, it's all right if you work with him." That is where that discussion ends. What more is there to say that you won't attest to personal experience and thus automatically disregard?
Just to make sure I understood that first part correctly, you were crying about people undermining your opinion because of Trevenant earlier and now you degrade another person's opinion simply because, in your limited experience, they only reply to specific topics?
You seem to have missed that he ignored my counter point "Gengar should be fine and much more flexible with Perish Song" to continue to rant about CB Azumarill and Superpower for two more posts before finally addressing it. If he was going to ignore my replys and focus on something I'de said a page ago then I will absolutely point it out in a snarky way. He then replied to my current point and the discussion is now continuing as normal.

Welcome to the thread. I'm glad I could catch you up. Did you finish your paper?
Honestly, it would be in your best interest to not try and bring up Denisss's actions because then you'd have to take into account everything he has said, unless, of course, you would like to continue selectively choosing what you see and acknowledge. Denisss made it clear that BP needs to be nerfed, so by listing off all these possible fixes and then quoting Denisss for points, you are making two contradictory arguments.
Why wouldn't I quote Denisss? I am in accordance that it needs a nerf. I have stated I am in support of option 2 multiple times to allow for counters to BP to be made more general and less specialized. Talk about selectively choosing what you see.
As for your last point, you once again attempt to undermine a person's opinion because of something irrelevant, such as when they post, so soon after you cry about people supposedly saying your opinion was meaningless because of Trevenant.
"You lost all credibility when you mentioned Trevenant" is a pretty strong indicator of someone actually completely disregarding a possible answer because it wasn't OU enough. Just because something is not strictly the top of its relative power bracket does not mean it can not be made useful if its strengths are built upon by its team. Quagsire would be a good example of this, just reaching OU now despite being much lower previously. Before it proved itself in its ability to handle a specific threat soundly, and perform adequately as to not be dead weight in other circumstances, was Quagsire just a gimmick? Is Quagsire still just a gimmick?

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
The point was that there was a precedence for Perish Trapper Gengar before the Baton Pass team existed as a concept, that this was not a "customized perish trapper set" as Cloneblazer suggested as the pokemon actually has been used in a capacity strictly to optimize the use of the move in question in the past, not just something haphazardly thrown onto its moveset and called good.
There is no standard Perish Trapper set right now because it sucks. Plain and simple. It is a customized set because there is no set that exists in Generation 6, unless you look at Ubers, where Mega Gengar is a thing. Youd have to create your own which takes into account the current threats of the metagame; somethign an older Perish Trapper simply cant do. Precedence doesnt mean shit if it doesnt do well in the current metagame. Plain and Simple. You seem to be missing the point here.

You seem to have missed that he ignored my counter point "Gengar should be fine and much more flexible with Perish Song" to continue to rant about CB Azumarill and Superpower for two more posts before finally addressing it. If he was going to ignore my replys and focus on something I'de said a page ago then I will absolutely point it out in a snarky way. He then replied to my current point and the discussion is now continuing as normal.
You called me out and I responded, even though I didnt feel the need to. Yet with you calling me out, you completely ignored what I said. I ignored Gengar because it wasnt a viable Perish Song user, which is what I asked for. You gave me a shitty response, so I didnt respond period. And now, when I do respond, you miss the point entirely and instead bring up something that really doesnt affect Gen 6 in any way.

There is no standard Perish Trapper set right now because it sucks. Plain and simple. It is a customized set because there is no set that exists in Generation 6, unless you look at Ubers, where Mega Gengar is a thing. Youd have to create your own which takes into account the current threats of the metagame; somethign an older Perish Trapper simply cant do. Precedence doesnt mean shit if it doesnt do well in the current metagame. Plain and Simple. You seem to be missing the point here.
It is my understanding that there is still much ongoing discussion for pokemon sets and viability this gen. Just look at the Gengar thread, less then four posts ago from the time of this writing was not only a Parish Trapper set suggested, but also complimented and eager to be tested not only for its viability against BP, but Stall as well. Are you going to tell them that the build sucks and to stop wasting their time and make something viable?

You called me out and I responded, even though I didnt feel the need to. Yet with you calling me out, you completely ignored what I said. I ignored Gengar because it wasnt a viable Perish Song user, which is what I asked for. You gave me a shitty response, so I didnt respond period. And now, when I do respond, you miss the point entirely and instead bring up something that really doesnt affect Gen 6 in any way.
I said you may stop talking now, if you wish. Your opinion has been mentally documented.

In the event that you do wish to continue discussion, it is generally considered normal fare to both reply to the points presented by your debate partner when they are actually presented and to drop previous points when they are conceded. A new point has been presented, the Gengar thread is exploring Perish Trapper options right now and seems to be yielding positive results. Is there a reason this shouldn't be taken seriously?

There is also precedence to run Thunder Punch on Gengar, so why don't we see that anymore? Maybe, just maybe, because the situation has changed. It wasn't a physical attack then and now it is, so it is no longer viable. Perish Trapper Gengar worked before because it was much simpler to pull it off. Now that is not the case, Gengar can hardly expect to stay in long enough to to setup that combination. On top of that, the trapping mechanisms used by it are bypassed by Baton Pass, so it isn't even as efficient anymore. You claim that the fact that there is precedence means that it isn't some set you made up as someone accused you of. To be quite frank, nobody cares because it doesn't matter. By focusing on this irrelevant detail, you have, once again, ignore the arguments being brought up as to why the set is ineffective and just cry about how it has been used before.

I, personally, dislike playing against Perish Trappers a lot more than standard stall breaker sets. I know, meaningless, not indicative of anything as Perish Song obviously has no applications outside of Baton Pass and only Baton Pass and will kill the pokemon using it instantly if used otherwise in addition to deleting your Showdown account. But seriously, sarcasm aside, it isn't worse in "every other matchup" as much as all of you want to insist. Less optimal? Sure, in some cases, but it lends itself to different strengths in others that can have its own merits. As a bonus it even lets you do more against a team one may struggle against instead of rave about how it should be banned and is unfair because there are no counters to it.

And this is completely irrelevant because Perish Trapping isn't common anymore. I would love to hear all the merits that Perish Trapping has against every other team apart from BP where its set up is easily stopped.

What actual point brought up? "Trevenant is bad" to be countered with "Nah, it's all right if you work with him." That is where that discussion ends. What more is there to say that you won't attest to personal experience and thus automatically disregard?

The actual point is that the general consensus of people vastly more knowledgeable than you is that Trevenant is most certainly not good in OU. So, your claims of making it work versus their knowledge is the point.

Welcome to the thread. I'm glad I could catch you up. Did you finish your paper?

So, now that CB Azumarill is no longer seeming like such a good idea, you want people to pretend that you never made the suggestion and move on to talk about something you feel you have a better chance with?

Why wouldn't I quote Denisss? I am in accordance that it needs a nerf. I have stated I am in support of option 2 multiple times to allow for counters to BP to be made more general and less specialized. Talk about selectively choosing what you see.

It seems that you have, once again, failed to realize what was being said, primarily just so that you could respond in what you feel like is an adequate way. You quote Denisss for support while provide seemingly good counters that are viable, while Denisss wants it nerfed presumably because that is the best option as opposed to suggested potential counters.

"You lost all credibility when you mentioned Trevenant" is a pretty strong indicator of someone actually completely disregarding a possible answer because it wasn't OU enough. Just because something is not strictly the top of its relative power bracket does not mean it can not be made useful if its strengths are built upon by its team. Quagsire would be a good example of this, just reaching OU now despite being much lower previously. Before it proved itself in its ability to handle a specific threat soundly, and perform adequately as to not be dead weight in other circumstances, was Quagsire just a gimmick? Is Quagsire still just a gimmick?

Seeing how you essentially acknowledge that Trevenant is not OU material although you do try and downplay it, it is pretty clear that you are simply trying to convince yourself that Trevenant is good. Quagsire is hardly comparable to the Trevenant, although it does fit your trend of bad examples. Quagsire is good because it has more general use in that it stops setup sweepers efficiently because it ignores their boosts in damage calculation, meaning that it can be brought in at any time and still be effective. Trevenant would need to be brought it early on against BP chains or against something with no attacking moves. On top of that, Curse Trevenant has marginal usefulness outside of BP chains seeing how setup sweepers are aptly prepared to deal with it in general and have a much easier time switching out of it as well. So, your argument with Quagsire literally is just, "It wasn't used then, now it is used, does that mean it is a gimmick?" which is an entirely foolish and ignorant argument.
Throughout this post you complained about selective choosing and disregarding points. Rather than reply to it each time in the quote, I decided to just address it here because reading your entire post is required to understand the irony. To begin with, let's look at what you responded to here. Since your post before this, multiple posts have been made providing different arguments, although there is notable overlap, as to why your points are invalid, specifically in reference to Gengar and Azumarill. In this reply, you hardly addressed all of them, even leaving out chunks of responses in your quotes, making it so that you quoted what you wanted and replied to that alone. You began with trying to justify your silly Perish Trapper point in regards to Gen II then you moved to a completely irrelevant point of playing against Perish Trappers. After that, you complained about something that was said earlier based off of your Trevenant post and then proceeded to complain about how people were still talking about Azumarill when you didn't want to. You didn't even admit that your Azumarill set was a bad idea, you simply refused to acknowledge it any more and wished for others to do the same. You ended off with saying someone else was selectively choosing what they responded to as well as bringing up Trevenant once again.

So, you essentially complained, told people to stop talking about what you didn't want to talk about and then complained some more. Not once did you actually defend the effectiveness of Perish Song Gengar, which was brought up, and you also refused to continue defending Azumarill. On top of that, you didn't even defend Trevenant, you just complained that people were judging you based off of that, which they had full right to do seeing how you just left it when you couldn't argue it anymore. You quoted specific parts of arguments, mainly the parts that weren't addressing the actual topic, and tried to play the victim once again. Then, you proceed to tell me that I am selective in what I respond to. Note how I quote everything and respond to everything, not just what I can.

At this point, I am going to retire from this thread because 15+ pages of repetition is more than enough for me and now, with the latest addition of Tactical, I can see that this argument is only going to become more one-sided as the the other side primarily ignores whatever they cannot refute and then cries a lot. Before you say that you are in favor of Option #2 and that I haven't been reading or whatever, I am referring to the other side of the current argument, not of BP in general, so try to take context into account when you post.

May I request you not do the reply in bold in a quote thing? The formatting is enough of a nightmare to keep straight without losing anything as is.

1st, the point of referencing Gen II Trapper sets was to say that Perish Song has seen use outside of Baton Pass, which did not exist at that time. Saying that times have changed from then until now and comparing it to thunder punch of all things is not relevant as the things it was useful for then it is still useful for now. The only difference is what it is used for is a much smaller cut of the metagame.

2ed, Most predominantly it can completely hose a Stall team by removing key points of their defensive formation. Trapping and killing Chansey or Quagsire, for example, would then leave the stall team largely helpless against the threats they were meant to counter. Perish Trapper is also much more effective than Stallbreaker in this capacity because it guarantees a kill, as opposed to just being an annoyance. Against less defensively inclined teams it can still be very useful in isolating and removing problematic support pokemon from a given balanced team, most notably clerics which would greatly increase the durability of the team otherwise, thus making the opposing team easier to breakdown overall than the stallbreaker set. Against hyper offense it is absolutely at its weakest and lacks the utility of Will-o-wisp to neuter physical threats.

3rd, OU is a usage statistic. If there was no reason to run him over anything else, as there was no particular thing he excelled in in comparison to other defensive pokemon, then it stands to reason no one would consider him for the tier. Now, when he does have an answer to something that is better then what most pokemon can do, why should he be automatically disqualified simply because he wasn't used enough before that point? Niches in the metagame develop based on threats, and the pokemon that best fulfill those niches can be played when it is called for without detracting from a team as a whole, as long as they are one of the best at fulfilling that specific purpose. Once again, case in point, Quagsire vs powerful setup sweepers. If you would actually want to listen on his other virtues side to strictly the viability of Curse against BP, I'de be happen to expand on them.

4th, If I have stopped repping CB Azumarill it is because I concede it is not a strong position, only an off the cuff example. As I explained. A couple times. Continuing to harp on it now is meaningless.

5th, Even if BP is nerfed, it will still likely need counters discussed and explored. Least, I would hope it won't be completely destroyed, just reigned in a bit to be more manageable.

6th, Trevenant does have more general uses and I can tell you it isn't stopping Setup Sweepers. It is fulfilling a niche capacity and can function in other circumstances adequately in my own experience. If you have no experience with the pokemon then he is going to seem like a waste of space. Nothing I say to you will lend you my experiences and you have none of your own, presumably, so continuing on this line of discussion is, once again, meaningless.

7th, I apologize for cutting a few of the quotes short for responses, but I didn't really feel your "you were crying" and "you were complaining" comments reiterated two or three times each was relevant to the discussion. Unless you feel that those statements were a keypoint of your argument, in which case I apologize to leaving them out. Actually, everything outside of the quote block just seems to be a critique of myself as a poster. I'm pretty sure there is nothing here relevant to the discussion, correct me if I am wrong.

At this point, I am going to retire from this thread [. . .] as the the other side primarily ignores whatever they cannot refute and then cries a lot.
Arrivederci.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
May I request you not do the reply in bold in a quote thing? The formatting is enough of a nightmare to keep straight without losing anything as is.

1st, the point of referencing Gen II Trapper sets was to say that Perish Song has seen use outside of Baton Pass, which did not exist at that time. Saying that times have changed from then until now and comparing it to thunder punch of all things is not relevant as the things it was useful for then it is still useful for now. The only difference is what it is used for is a much smaller cut of the metagame.

2ed, Most predominantly it can completely hose a Stall team by removing key points of their defensive formation. Trapping and killing Chansey or Quagsire, for example, would then leave the stall team largely helpless against the threats they were meant to counter. Perish Trapper is also much more effective than Stallbreaker in this capacity because it guarantees a kill, as opposed to just being an annoyance. Against less defensively inclined teams it can still be very useful in isolating and removing problematic support pokemon from a given balanced team, most notably clerics which would greatly increase the durability of the team otherwise, thus making the opposing team easier to breakdown overall than the stallbreaker set. Against hyper offense it is absolutely at its weakest and lacks the utility of Will-o-wisp to neuter physical threats.

3rd, OU is a usage statistic. If there was no reason to run him over anything else, as there was no particular thing he excelled in in comparison to other defensive pokemon, then it stands to reason no one would consider him for the tier. Now, when he does have an answer to something that is better then what most pokemon can do, why should he be automatically disqualified simply because he wasn't used enough before that point? Niches in the metagame develop based on threats, and the pokemon that best fulfill those niches can be played when it is called for without detracting from a team as a whole, as long as they are one of the best at fulfilling that specific purpose. Once again, case in point, Quagsire vs powerful setup sweepers. If you would actually want to listen on his other virtues side to strictly the viability of Curse against BP, I'de be happen to expand on them.

4th, If I have stopped repping CB Azumarill it is because I concede it is not a strong position, only an off the cuff example. As I explained. A couple times. Continuing to harp on it now is meaningless.

5th, Even if BP is nerfed, it will still likely need counters discussed and explored. Least, I would hope it won't be completely destroyed, just reigned in a bit to be more manageable.

6th, Trevenant does have more general uses and I can tell you it isn't stopping Setup Sweepers. It is fulfilling a niche capacity and can function in other circumstances adequately in my own experience. If you have no experience with the pokemon then he is going to seem like a waste of space. Nothing I say to you will lend you my experiences and you have none of your own, presumably, so continuing on this line of discussion is, once again, meaningless.

7th, I apologize for cutting a few of the quotes short for responses, but I didn't really feel your "you were crying" and "you were complaining" comments reiterated two or three times each was relevant to the discussion. Unless you feel that those statements were a keypoint of your argument, in which case I apologize to leaving them out. Actually, everything outside of the quote block just seems to be a critique of myself as a poster. I'm pretty sure there is nothing here relevant to the discussion, correct me if I am wrong.

Arrivederci.
Ya see, most of us don't really wanna hear somebody telling us that trevenant is viable in OU again, because decent players understand that the huge popularity that trevenant saw was mostly the "new mon hype" surge. You could relate this sorta with whimsicott, people were gasming over how amazing leech seed was in conjunction with Prankster which was thought to be the most broken thing in the world until they realized that whimsicott could literally do jack squat to any given grass type mon. I'm comparing this to trevenant because they were both pretty popular at first and then people realized they suck and stopped using them too much.
As you can see, by the end of the generation whimsicott was pretty low in RU, and trevenant is already in UU (idk how its doing there tho, i don't play UU)

So, instead of alla these rather personal attacks lets try and expand upon why and how trevenant is really worth using on a respectable OU team. Because quite frankly, i don't understand why you'd ever use trevenant right now, much less curse on it.

So since I gracefully changed the topic (i hope) i guess i shud start shitting on trevenant share my opinion on trevenant now.

Allright let's look at this things base stats: 85 hp/110 attack/76 def/65 sp. att/82 sp. def/66 speed.
Incredibly sub par stats for a defensive pokemon. In fact, Keldeo is literally bulkier than this thing :I

Its main method of recovery consists of leech seed and harvest, both of which are rather unreliable. One stray knock off and this thing is done too.
If this thing actually had speed to utilize Will-o Leech seed and sub (like gourgeist-s (use this guy its gud)) it might be decent.
On top of this, it basically has two sets: the shitty sitrus one and the slightly better Lum+Rest one, and both of the sets have pretty much the same answers. It's an easy as hell switch-in to basically any fire type in the world and super predictable.
It lacks the base stats or speed to really pull its weight and its somewhat decent attack stat is pretty much wasted.

So on top of the fact that this thing sucks in every way, you're using curse on a defensive mon (which has less bulk than keldeo) with unreliable recovery. you're literally just cutting your hp in half in hopes that you get that sitrus berry, and this isn't even to mention that baton pass variants carrying mr. mime can just encore you into curse as you are forced out and weakened. Meanwhile, they can easily restart the chain against stall, so curse trev, while being horrible outside of games vs baton pass, also loses to some baton pass teams itself.

And finally, you're expecting a stall team to run this shit. LOL

TL ;DR trevenant sucks dix and curse trevenant sucks more dix

Ya see, most of us don't really wanna hear somebody telling us that trevenant is viable in OU again, because decent players understand that the huge popularity that trevenant saw was mostly the "new mon hype" surge. You could relate this sorta with whimsicott, people were gasming over how amazing leech seed was in conjunction with Prankster which was thought to be the most broken thing in the world until they realized that whimsicott could literally do jack squat to any given grass type mon. I'm comparing this to trevenant because they were both pretty popular at first and then people realized they suck and stopped using them too much.
As you can see, by the end of the generation whimsicott was pretty low in RU, and trevenant is already in UU (idk how its doing there tho, i don't play UU)
This is completely understandable and something I was keyed in on when XY first went through. (Even comparing it with the release hype of Whimsicott) I don't particularly like the critter on my team but my position isn't influenced by that initial hype.

Allright let's look at this things base stats: 85 hp/110 attack/76 def/65 sp. att/82 sp. def/66 speed.
Incredibly sub par stats for a defensive pokemon. In fact, Keldeo is literally bulkier than this thing :I
Also very true. It is an incredible shame Trevenant doesn't have the defenses of its cousin, Gourgeist, despite having a more effective defensive ability. Still, Sableye can function with subpar defense and Trevenant does have useful resistances it can use to come in on when warranted.

Its main method of recovery consists of leech seed and harvest, both of which are rather unreliable. One stray knock off and this thing is done too.
If this thing actually had speed to utilize Will-o Leech seed and sub (like gourgeist-s (use this guy its gud)) it might be decent.
On top of this, it basically has two sets: the shitty sitrus one and the slightly better Lum+Rest one, and both of the sets have pretty much the same answers. It's an easy as hell switch-in to basically any fire type in the world and super predictable.
It lacks the base stats or speed to really pull its weight and its somewhat decent attack stat is pretty much wasted.
There are two reasons I prefer Trevenant to other ghosts in regards to perform curse to stifle a baton pass team. First, Sableye can not use the attack. Second, Sitrus recovery keeps it healthy without actual loss of momentum on your own part. Trevenant can keep cursing on helpless targets like Smeargle or Vaporeon and generally won't wear itself down. At minimum you always get three Curses, which is on par with every other ghost. At maximum it'll keep itself consistently at 75% health with no upkeep on your part.

So on top of the fact that this thing sucks in every way, you're using curse on a defensive mon (which has less bulk than keldeo) with unreliable recovery. you're literally just cutting your hp in half in hopes that you get that sitrus berry, and this isn't even to mention that baton pass variants carrying mr. mime can just encore you into curse as you are forced out and weakened. Meanwhile, they can easily restart the chain against stall, so curse trev, while being horrible outside of games vs baton pass, also loses to some baton pass teams itself.
Mr. Mine has nothing to keep you in play after you curse it, making encores ineffective in this regard. Trevenant doesn't have to stay in play after perform its duty, it is free to switch out to other pokemon, and is highly suggested to do so to keep pressure on the BP player to keep creating subs further stifling their ability to actually boost.

And finally, you're expecting a stall team to run this shit.
It can function as a spin blocker against common spinners like Excadrill, in addition to being able to cripple pursuit mons like TTar on switchin with a will-o-wisp. Likewise it is also a handy counter to Breelom, since it is immune to spore and the mushroom doesn't normally appreciate a burn, or it gets cursed on if it set itself up a substitute. Being able to take a Specs Keldeo Icy Wind with little investment and afflict it with a status is also very valuable. There are a few matchups it excels in and most it performs fine in if you setup a sub while your opponent switchs to their appropriate counter. Generally, more than just something like a fire pokemon, Trevenant is painful taunt bait and that has been one of the largest liabilities I've found in running it. If the opponent does not have a taunter then they are normally hard pressed to uproot him, I find.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Also very true. It is an incredible shame Trevenant doesn't have the defenses of its cousin, Gourgeist, despite having a more effective defensive ability. Still, Sableye can function with subpar defense and Trevenant does have useful resistances it can use to come in on when warranted.
Oh come on now, comparing sableye to trevenant? Come ooooonn
Sableye has priority recover, priority wisp, and priority taunt.
They may both have sub par stats and a ghost typing, but guess what sableye has that makes him 10x better?
MOTHERFUCKING PRIORITY!!!!!!!!!!
There are two reasons I prefer Trevenant to other ghosts in regards to perform curse to stifle a baton pass team. First, Sableye can not use the attack. Second, Sitrus recovery keeps it healthy without actual loss of momentum on your own part. Trevenant can keep cursing on helpless targets like Smeargle or Vaporeon and generally won't wear itself down. At minimum you always get three Curses, which is on par with every other ghost. At maximum it'll keep itself consistently at 75% health with no upkeep on your part.
At min? harvest is a 50% chance to recover your berry, so theoretically, you could just curse and never even get your berry back. Which is what makes trevenant sorta suck. Also, who said you have to attack to beat baton pass? A prankster taunt is a MUCH more consistent and reliable way to cripple baton pass at basically any step of the way, and there's no reason to use trevenant on stall when sableye exists basically (in terms of stopping baton pass anyway)
Mr. Mine has nothing to keep you in play after you curse it, making encores ineffective in this regard. Trevenant doesn't have to stay in play after perform its duty, it is free to switch out to other pokemon, and is highly suggested to do so to keep pressure on the BP player to keep creating subs further stifling their ability to actually boost.
Mr. mime can baton pass in as you curse, and then encore you into curse. You will then use curse again and kill yourself if you dont' activate sitrus, and even if you do, you're encored, so you keep using curse and KEEP cutting your hp in half. The point IS to make you switch out, and when you do you're weakened because you had to switch out lest you keep cutting your hp in half.
Also, this so called "pressure on the BP player" is pretty hard to maintain when you're using a stall team.
It can function as a spin blocker against common spinners like Excadrill, in addition to being able to cripple pursuit mons like TTar on switchin with a will-o-wisp.
First off: Why is ttar switching into trevenant.
Second:
252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Trevenant: 165-195 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Hardly spin blocking :I
If stall wants a spin blocker, I'd like to think sableye or gourgeist-s is a pretty good place to start, but I can gaurantee you (especially after the above calc) that no decent stall player will use trevenant as a spinblocker.

Likewise it is also a handy counter to Breelom, since it is immune to spore and the mushroom doesn't normally appreciate a burn, or it gets cursed on if it set itself up a substitute.
Sub breloom hahaha
Also as if breloom isn't easy enough to check that we need to rely on trevenant of all things to stop that beast. Amoong, Mega Venu, Latias, and many more pokemon i dont' wanna take the effort to find can easily check breloom.

Being able to take a Specs Keldeo Icy Wind with little investment and afflict it with a status is also very valuable.
Mantyke can switch into keldeo too, and then proceed to scald burn or toxic the switch-in. We gotta get out there and use mantyke man its op
There are a few matchups it excels in and most it performs fine in if you setup a sub while your opponent switchs to their appropriate counter.
The incredibly few matchups it DOES miraculously win in are quite easy to cover, and by no means is trevenant the only pokemon to be able to check the things it does. In fact, the things it does check are shut down by almost any given stall ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)