XY OU Suspect Process, Round 3 - BATON PASS [READ POST #590]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're mixing up "competitive" and "broken" or "viable". Competitive is that thing that makes people compete for wins. Baton Pass turns it more into a game of "Rock Paper Scissors", which is the exact opposite of what we want.
Just injecting to say that this is a great metaphor, but is a little bit more intricate.

Imagine a competitive version of Rock-Paper-Scissors. Rock is the default metagame, a regularly used good team from a high-tier OU Trainer. As such, it is used the most. Paper is Baton Pass teams, seeing more use as of late. Scissors is a complete counter to Baton Pass that walls every team that uses the strategy, but at the same time is very weak to Rock. People are now resorting to having to use Scissors to counter Paper, meaning Rock wins more often than not because of the overcentralization of Paper.

It's not a good meta-game, and it doesn't promote healthy playstyles in any way. Saying "But we want everybody to use what they want and doing something about BP would be the opposite of that" is just silly. If more people are using Baton Pass, then more people will be forced to run counters such as Haze Quagsire, meaning that they won't be able to use as many pokemon they want either.

I don't quite think you understand what "over centralizing" means. It would be over centralizing if it had one or two counters, and only one or two counters, that everyone had to use to not lose terribly on the ladder. Mega-Khangaskhan was terribly over centralizing because its number of viable counters were extremely few resulting in a lot of the same team compositions being forced to be ran to deal with it.

Your options being obscure, and I know UU mons are way off the wall and out there to suggest, are not over centralizing as long as they are still varied for multiple builds of team construction to remain viable without them being copy pastes of each other. As long as that is avoided then there are no over centralizing issues, you're just using one move or one pokemon to cover a threat just like you do everything else on your team, UU or no.

Over centralizing it is not.
*sigh*
The irony. . .

I'd agree with you, if you were giving me a definition for Broken.
Kangaskhan was not only Broken, it forced you to carry a counter centered around stopping it, if you ever hoped of doing so.

Over Centralizing the meta is when something, be it a play-style or Pokemon, forces you to carry a counter whose sole purpose is to stop said play-style or Pokemon.

*sigh*
The irony. . .

I'd agree with you, if you were giving me a definition for Broken.
Kangaskhan was not only Broken, it forced you to carry a counter centered around stopping it, if you ever hoped of doing so.

Over Centralizing the meta is when something, be it a play-style or Pokemon, forces you to carry a counter whose sole purpose is to stop said play-style or Pokemon.
Still when building a team I make sure I always have a way to deal with things such as talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Bisharp, MegaMawile, Lando, Keldeo, ZardY
If I don't I will lose vs a competent player.
Granted stoping most of these things you can use pokes with other uses, but the good stops to baton pass Gardevoir, MegaPinsir, Thundurus these among other stops to baton pass have numerous uses.

Gothitelle's sole purpose is to break stall, yet despite its limited role lots of ppl still us use it.

A pokemon can have a limited role but still be useful

Still when building a team I make sure I always have a way to deal with things such as talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Bisharp, MegaMawile, Lando, Keldeo, ZardY
If I don't I will lose vs a competent player.
Granted stoping most of these things you can use pokes with other uses, but the good stops to baton pass Gardevoir, MegaPinsir, Thundurus these among other stops to baton pass have numerous uses.

Gothitelle's sole purpose is to break stall, yet despite its limited role lots of ppl still us use it.

A pokemon can have a limited role but still be useful
For the umpteenth time, let us not compare an entire team of 6 to one pokemon. It's not one pokemon setting up in your face, it's 6. It's easier to counter one pokemon; I.e tflame, mPinsir etc than it is an entire team of six.

The differwnce is, Rotom W is a good counter to mang mons, where as trevs is not. You can argue this all day, but you and I both know a lot of these "counters" are off the wall and are simply taking up a slot for a better mon.

First let me address that Baton Pass is a team of 6 Pokemon. It is not a playstyle; it is literally one team with 6 defined Pokemon, defined EV spreads, defined movesets, defined abilities, and defined items. Therefore I don't think that the slippery slope argument makes any sense here, as no other play style has achieved this level of perfection.
Is something not a play style because you deemed it not a play style and for no other reason? Second, there are 17 variations on Baton Pass just from the suggested moves alone under the C/V of Deniss' team. This is discounting people experimenting with BP and its makeup themselves. Baton Pass is not a "perfected" archtype, even by its own creator.

I won't say that no one is arguing that one requiring more than one countermeasure for Baton Pass on a team is a ludicrous option, because they are, and I'm going to come right out and say that that's the wrong mindset. However, the issue becomes that in a battle, only one of these checks/counters is relevant. When you switch out to something, you have forfeited your momentum and basically lost because now the opponent is probably behind a Substitute, and can boost past whatever your threat is, and you have lost.
Not true. There are early chain checks to BP like Trevenant, and late chain checks like Roar Mega-Gyarados. It is entirely possible to handle BP at any step of its setup if you build to accommodate it.

It is ludicrous to expect a stall team to carry a Curse Trevenant or Haze Quagsire. For one, stall needs all six of its members to handle the metagame as it is. It can hardly afford to run a Baton Pass counter.
Have you considered the possibility that, as everyone is complaining, the average team may lose a bit of relative power in relation to being able to account for Baton Pass themselves, resulting in them staying even with, or even making it easier for Stall to keep them in check?

All in all, Baton Pass is not befitting of a metagame based on skill.
I consider teambuilding a very important skill in this game. BP was masterfully crafted by the person who built it. Likewise, the Suspect Ladder proved those that simply copy/pasted the list didn't do so hot with it, meaning even its use required experience and execution to pull off successfully just like anything else

Im pretty sure you just repeated what i said:. You also missed that i said how you need multiple pokemon to beat a specific team of six (which is what bp is). Usually you can easily counter a given team of six, but it is stupidly with bp as well as being able to hit the other 90%(or whatever the % is) of the meta
Interestingly, if the meta builds to actually start checking BP it won't counter 90% of it anymore. Likewise, you don't need multiple pokemon to check Baton Pass, you, at most, need one dedicated pokemon and your team built to compliment it. Haze on a stall team will do next to nothing because a Stall player can't pressure the substitutes or rack up residual damage as a result. Couple Haze with a high damage infiltrator or damaging sound attacks like Mega-Gardevoir and you're much better off. It isn't as simple as "This move will beat BP" and it shouldn't be. Think about your options and how they work with your team.

Bp is broken because it requires less skill to beat a player with more skill, it also requires gimmick/less viable mons/sets to beat (eg trevenant or haze quagsire).
It requires less skill to beat something you hold a advantage over. When Baton Pass builds to counter a metagame and that metagame refuses to counter Baton Pass, than Baton Pass will dominate it easily. This is basic. Skill is not only in play and execution, but also team building. If you refuse to have a counter in place at team creation then you are less skilled for leaving yourself unprepared. Especially against a threat that, for all accounts, you consider nothing more than copy/paste.

my replies are in bold
This makes this such a pain in the ass to respond to.

So trevenant being useful against a specific team, but trash against every other makes it viable?
See Gothitelle. If you can name anything this pokemon does except break Stall that something else does not do better I would love to hear it. This pokemon is still BL, last I saw.

Well manaphy has a lot of VIABLE counters and checks, most stall teams will be running chansey/blissey, however most standard teams dont want to run a specific check, such as trevenant especcially because it is shit
No, Manaphy does not. Before the advent of Mega-Venusaur Manaphy had no counters in Stall. That is why it was Ubers in gen 5, Stall literally could not fight it. As for counters now a-days I believe Mega-Venu is still the only thing that can counter the standard Manaphy sets.

[Seismic Toss] doesnt break vaps sub . . . [You can swap out of Curse] so you just invalidated your argument and your reason for running trev.
Vaporeon has no natural recovery side to Leftovers and does not keep Trevenant out, allowing it to come in freely and apply a curse which Vaporeon has to hard swap out of, giving you a free turn to Leech Seed instead. Likewise, if they're hard swapping out of whatever into Vaporeon to ditch a curse and in preparation of Seismic Toss pressure they open themselves up to status (in this case, Toxic) because Vaporeon will not benefit from the protection of a sub upon entering play. In either case it renders Vaporeon's impact negligible. Likewise, for being able to swap out of curse, a turn in which you do not Baton Pass with a sub up to ditch Curse is a turn in which you get Leech Seeded, or Toxiced. (At best you have an Espeon that is going to eat a Seismic Toss to the face) in addition to a good amount of residual damage from Rocks and Spikes if you have them up from forcing all the switches. It is not an enviable Catch 22 for the Baton Pass team.

Have you not seen the amount of hate your posts have got?
. . . you clearly dont dislike being an ignorant idiot
I flipped the order of these two to make things more apparent. A discussion about numbers and pixels for the competitive meta of a video game designed for children does not generate hate, hateful people find an excuse to vomit vitriol where they can.

This will be my final post as it is killing me how stupid and stubborn you are.
The pleasure was mine.

You're mixing up "competitive" and "broken" or "viable". Competitive is that thing that makes people compete for wins. Baton Pass turns it more into a game of "Rock Paper Scissors", which is the exact opposite of what we want.

And it's not that people refuse to change their teams to fit Baton Pass in, it's that they can't. There are limited ways to avoid auto losing to baton pass that are not outright inferior against your standard teams. Since standard teams are more common, a lot of people choose to take a loss here and there in order to not compromise their ability to keep up with everyone else.
This is a natural byproduct of competition and something other competitive games actually cycle through constantly. If A is the current dominant style, then people will flock to A for the highest chance at success. Eventually someone comes along and develops B(p) which beats A. Now, as more people find out about and start using B themselves B will rise in usage until it is more common than A by virtue of beating A and being even with itself. After that someone will develop C(ounters), which beats B but will often times lose to A. Now, while B is most common C will begin to rise in trend until it is consistently performing the best and, in turn, A will rise in popularity as well because it beats C. They will cycle like this in perpetuity until something changes with the system fundamentally.

In this case, A is the current metagame, B is baton pass which counters it, and C are slightly weaker (relative to A) standard teams that have an advantage over BP. If we left things as they are the current A+ standard teams would begin to phase out as Baton Pass teams picked up in favor to beat them for easy rides to the top of the ladder until the A teams are converted to C teams to compete with them, then the metagame would, hopefully, stabilize with a balance of roughly a third of each if they are in harmony with each other. At worst it would be that consistent cycle where one of the triad is at an upswing in popularity and the style it beats is at a low swing keeping in a rotation.

Just injecting to say that this is a great metaphor, but is a little bit more intricate.
Imagine a competitive version of Rock-Paper-Scissors. . . .
This is why I should not read and reply to only one post in sequence. After I just wrote out that wall of text on competitive theory. Anyway, this is close, only we have no reason to believe this R-P-S scenario would stay stagnant with Rock on top when all other real life situations where this effect has been evoked remains fluid between the trifecta.

Order of severity. A lot of offensive teams run a Stallbreaker to do just what it says on the tin, break stall, but that doesn't mean Stall is over centralizing. Just as long as the options to it are varied as to prevent stagnation and repetition then it is not unhealthy for the Meta. Now, if the only answer to stop Baton Pass was something silly like Haze Quagsire, and everyone had to run Haze Quagsire in order to stop baton pass, like Rocky Helmet Garchomp to stop Khanga, then yes, it would be kind of silly. Baton Pass counters are much more varied than that, though they could stand to be just slightly more-so. This is why option #2 is very viable to remove a little bit of Baton Passes built in redundancy that mitigates its checks.

For the umpteenth time, let us not compare an entire team of 6 to one pokemon. It's not one pokemon setting up in your face, it's 6. It's easier to counter one pokemon; I.e tflame, mPinsir etc than it is an entire team of six.
Case in point for the need to reduce BP's redundancy. If you remove a key component like Scoliopede so it can't Iron Defense, then it should have to sacrifice something to retain the capacity to boost its defenses still later in the match. As it is, in order to actually remove a capability you have to often knock out two pokemon to remove their access to that one specific kind of boost it provides, which isn't impossible, but is a little much.

The differwnce is, Rotom W is a good counter to mang mons, where as trevs is not. You can argue this all day, but you and I both know a lot of these "counters" are off the wall and are simply taking up a slot for a better mon.
I heartily maintain that something is not "better" if it does not perform the job of the thing "inferior" to it. As long as a pokemon handles Baton Pass better than its predecessor then it can stand on its own feet with that merit.

Last edited:
This is a natural byproduct of competition and something other competitive games actually cycle through constantly. If A is the current dominant style, then people will flock to A for the highest chance at success. Eventually someone comes along and develops B(p) which beats A. Now, as more people find out about and start using B themselves B will rise in usage until it is more common than A by virtue of beating A and being even with itself. After that someone will develop C(ounters), which beats B but will often times lose to A. Now, while B is most common C will begin to rise in trend until it is consistently performing the best and, in turn, A will rise in popularity as well because it beats C. They will cycle like this in perpetuity until something changes with the system fundamentally.
s to prevent stagnation and repetition then it is not unhealthy for the Meta. Now, if the only answer to stop Baton Pass was something silly like Haze Quagsire, and everyone had to run Haze Quagsire in order to stop baton pass, like Rocky Helmet Garchomp to stop Khanga, then yes, it would be kind of silly. Baton Pass counters are much more varied than that, though they could stand to be just slightly more-so. This is why option #2 is very viable to remove a little bit of Baton Passes built in redundancy that mitigates its checks.
What you just said is fine on a small scale, but do you realize how stupid it would be if we let this happen to the metagame as whole?

I don't see why your arguing anyway, as you actively say you want #2, but all your arguments are the same retarded things that got brought up in round 2. Why don't you go read that instead of confounding the issue?

What you just said is fine on a small scale, but do you realize how stupid it would be if we let this happen to the metagame as whole?
This has happened to the metagame as a whole. It has been this way for five previous generations. Certain styles like Stall > Balanced > Hyper Offensive > Stall are all ready common place.

I don't see why your arguing anyway, as you actively say you want #2, but all your arguments are the same retarded things that got brought up in round 2. Why don't you go read that instead of confounding the issue?
#2 is preferable to #3 which is in correlation to my position "It's bad, but it's not that bad." Seeing as voting is largely over, all of this is pretty meaningless and I am a day late and a dollar short, but discussion is always fun.

Wait Tactical ... you're for Option 2 but you're arguing for BP. Logic ?_?
Option 2 is fine, option 3 is overkill. I'm arguing against the mass of "countering Baton Pass is impossible because I don't want to slightly weaken my team" because it is entertaining. I trust the voters will make an educated decision.

Just do what I did; stop reading anything he says and assume he's talking out of his ass.
A paragon of intellectual discussion walks among us.

This has happened to the metagame as a whole. It has been this way for five previous generations. Certain styles like Stall > Balanced > Hyper Offensive > Stall are all ready common place.

#2 is preferable to #3 which is in correlation to my position "It's bad, but it's not that bad." Seeing as voting is largely over, all of this is pretty meaningless and I am a day late and a dollar short, but discussion is always fun.

Option 2 is fine, option 3 is overkill. I'm arguing against the mass of "countering Baton Pass is impossible because I don't want to slightly weaken my team" because it is entertaining. I trust the voters will make an educated decision.

A paragon of intellectual discussion walks among us.
Well first off, you're completely ignoring the fact that good Balanced teams can beat Stall with smart playing pretty easily. Same with the other two, but Stall can't beat BP without seriously weakening itself.

And secondly, the options aren't really organized like that. Option 3 is the one I'd prefer because it addresses the breaking element, automatic speed boosts, reliable defense boosts, and a limited number of counters. I support option 3 because I think it's the most appropriate for dealing with what's broken, but a genuine argument about collateral damage does exist. I personally think option 2 is kinda lazy as you just say "IT'S ALL BROKEN!" and just ban it, when it's not that hard to look closer. It has nothing to do with overkill, that's what round 2 was for. Again, try reading that thread before posting here, you'll save us a lot of time explaining this to you.

God the stupidity in this thread just increases as each day passes. I jumped on the regular ladder today with a new team I had built that included SD Diggersby. I hadn't built my team with any specific way of dealing with BP as I didn't have any room to do so (well actually I had a DDMegados but I rather using coverage over Taunt or lol Roar) and I was feeling optimistic that I wouldnt run into any BP. I was on for literally 4 battles and I ran into 2 BP teams. The first player clearly had no idea what Diggersby did as he simply allowed his Scolipede to die, The second wasn't so stupid, although considering he/she actually used BP in the first place I would assume their abilities concerning the use of a brain are lacking. Even though Diggersby was at +6 he could not break through the boosted team and was KOed by scald. What every single anti-nerf user seems to forget when they argue is that sure, there are like 4 (don't you dare say how theres more than 4 as some bs counter-argument, this is an estimate) decent checks that aren't useless in the meta, but you always have to use a subpar move over something that could be vital to KOeing a threatening mon. BP restricts teambuilding like no other on both BP and non BP teams and if left in would create a stale metagame of literally the same 10 mons, I don't see how anyone can possibly think that a metagame like that could be even remotely enjoyable.

Also Tactical regarding what you said about the development of the metagame, that's not quite how it works. While yes, the masses have and will always flock like sheep to the next big thing, in every other case there was still room to be creative and make original teams that could still be effective even if they weren't focused on either following the flock or hunting the flock, a BP infested metagame doesn't allow this to happen.

Well first off, you're completely ignoring the fact that good Balanced teams can beat Stall with smart playing pretty easily. Same with the other two, but Stall can't beat BP without seriously weakening itself.
Well played anything can beat anything, to a degree. That does not mean the inherent strengths of certain playstyles against others does not exist.

And secondly, the options aren't really organized like that. Option 3 is the one I'd prefer because it addresses the breaking element, automatic speed boosts, reliable defense boosts, and a limited number of counters. I support option 3 because I think it's the most appropriate for dealing with what's broken, but a genuine argument about collateral damage does exist. I personally think option 2 is kinda lazy as you just say "IT'S ALL BROKEN!" and just ban it, when it's not that hard to look closer. It has nothing to do with overkill, that's what round 2 was for. Again, try reading that thread before posting here, you'll save us a lot of time explaining this to you.
If you remove Scolipoede and Espeon then you gut the core of the build, which is less that desirable, in addition to the collateral damage that would be inflicted. Option 2 doesn't just ban everything, it brings it down to its core and will force BP to field other answers to compensate for its lack of redundancy to keep the chain going when it is broken or threatened.

I jumped on the regular ladder today with a new team I had built that included SD Diggersby. I hadn't built my team with any specific way of dealing with BP as I didn't have any room to do so (well actually I had a DDMegados but I rather using coverage over Taunt or lol Roar) and I was feeling optimistic that I wouldnt run into any BP.
So you built a team, explicitly knowing it had a gaping hole in its ability to battle another relevant team in the meta and when you just had to make a very simple adjustment to one of the mons all ready on your team to compensate, and just assumed you wouldn't see the team you were weak to?

I was on for literally 4 battles and I ran into 2 BP teams.
And then were surprised when you saw that very competitively viable team you just assumed you wouldn't fight?

although considering he/she actually used BP in the first place I would assume their abilities concerning the use of a brain are lacking.
Mmm. I wouldn't use this time to sling insults about intelligence.

Even though Diggersby was at +6 he could not break through the boosted team and was KOed by scald.
A mold breaker roar ends the chain, guaranteed and if the Vaporeon was running scald then it more than likely lacked Roar to remove your boosting Mega-Gyarados. A small alteration you consciously decided not to make lost you a game. I don't think this was Baton Pass' fault by any stretch of the imagination.

(don't you dare say how theres more than 4 as some bs counter-argument, this is an estimate)
Ahh. I think I'll just leave this argument where all ass pull "estimates" come from. If you want to actually provide substance behind your argument I would love to discuss its validity.

Also Tactical regarding what you said about the development of the metagame, that's not quite how it works. While yes, the masses have and will always flock like sheep to the next big thing, in every other case there was still room to be creative and make original teams that could still be effective even if they weren't focused on either following the flock or hunting the flock, a BP infested metagame doesn't allow this to happen.
I'm not quite sure why running one check forces you to run five other identical pokemon to go with it in the rest of your team. This would be about as pervasive as "run a spinner/defogger" and that certainly doesn't define teams, despite rocks being more omnipresent than BP ever will be.

Well played anything can beat anything, to a degree. That does not mean the inherent strengths of certain playstyles against others does not exist.
Hence the suspect test, because Baton Pass is the degree that it can't. Glad you're finally up to date!

If you remove Scolipoede and Espeon then you gut the core of the build, which is less that desirable, in addition to the collateral damage that would be inflicted. Option 2 doesn't just ban everything, it brings it down to its core and will force BP to field other answers to compensate for its lack of redundancy to keep the chain going when it is broken or threatened.
What are you talking about? The core is arguably what is "broken," and when something's broken, we ban it. We never could come to an agreement about whether it's the core or the whole team together that needs to go, hence the 2 ban options instead of one.

Seriously, what mind set are you going into this discussion? You haven't been part of this for that long, so I'd suggest listening a bit more. Flamer is entirely justified in insulting his BP using opponent because, with a few exceptions, BP is a bad player's ticket to high ranks, and anyone who uses it can be considered for that description.

Last edited:
Hence the suspect test, because Baton Pass is the degree that it can't. Glad you're finally up to date!
"Up to speed" and as said, if the suspect test showed anything it was that Baton Pass, when not played competently, is a joke.

What are you talking about? The core is arguably what is "broken," and when something's broken, we ban it. We never could come to an agreement about whether it's the core or the whole team together that needs to go, hence the 2 ban options instead of one.
The core is strong, it is not broken. Having a free backup in the way of Vaporeon or Mr.Mime to break Perish Song or the like is a bit more overbearing then most are comfortable with. Thus why I prefer option #2.

Seriously, what mind set are you going into this discussion? You haven't been part of this for that long, so I'd suggest listening a bit more. Flamer is entirely justified in insulting his BP using opponent because, with a few exceptions, BP is a bad players ticket to high ranks, and anyone who uses it can be considered for that description.
I'm not quite sure what your point here is. "Flamer is justified in insulting the intelligence of another competitive player because Baton Pass is dumb"? Well, ok then. Whatever works for you.

"Up to speed" and as said, if the suspect test showed anything it was that Baton Pass, when not played competently, is a joke.

The core is strong, it is not broken. Having a free backup in the way of Vaporeon or Mr.Mime to break Perish Song or the like is a bit more overbearing then most are comfortable with. Thus why I prefer option #2.

I'm not quite sure what your point here is. "Flamer is justified in insulting the intelligence of another competitive player because Baton Pass is dumb"? Well, ok then. Whatever works for you.
You really don't get it, do you?

Fine, all you need to know is, "Baton Pass is dumb," and it's getting banned.

So you built a team, explicitly knowing it had a gaping hole in its ability to battle another relevant team in the meta and when you just had to make a very simple adjustment to one of the mons all ready on your team to compensate, and just assumed you wouldn't see the team you were weak to?
I made the decision to not affect DDMegados' ability to sweep what I believed the majority of teams were by removing Ice Fang. Thats the whole point, I can counter it, but I'll regret not being able to cover things that I need Ice Fang for.

And then were surprised when you saw that very competitively viable team you just assumed you wouldn't fight?
Of course I was surprised to see it twice in 4 matches. I don't think I've ever played against the same team like this (Even the mindless masses who seem to copy whatever new team pokeaim uses)

Mmm. I wouldn't use this time to sling insults about intelligence.
I'm not insulting anybody who can understand anything more than basic English so I don't see the problem. Oh and don't Americans have that thing they always say, what is it? Oh that's right FREEDOM BITCH! (now I know why Americans enjoy that so much)

A mold breaker roar ends the chain, guaranteed and if the Vaporeon was running scald then it more than likely lacked Roar to remove your boosting Mega-Gyarados. A small alteration you consciously decided not to make lost you a game. I don't think this was Baton Pass' fault by any stretch of the imagination.
Like I said, MB Roar forces me to lose needed coverage so that I can maybe beat BP, I took an optimistic risk thinking BP wouldn't be as prevalent anymore. And no, its not a guaranteed win at all, even with MB Roar. Sylveon exists and can beat any variant of Megados, guaranteed. Before you say "but how does he bring it in", don't forget that BP has switch initiative so the only time you can bring it in is on a revenge KO, not the best way to check something is it?

Ahh. I think I'll just leave this argument where all ass pull "estimates" come from. If you want to actually provide substance behind your argument I would love to discuss its validity.
I didn't list a bunch of mons that "counter" BP for two reasons. One, everyone and their mother have said what they are, I cannot be fucked listing them again and Two, true "counters" to BP don't actually exist. There's things that can do well vs. the average idiot who uses BP but with half a brain they can be played around.

I'm not quite sure why running one check forces you to run five other identical pokemon to go with it in the rest of your team. This would be about as pervasive as "run a spinner/defogger" and that certainly doesn't define teams, despite rocks being more omnipresent than BP ever will be.
I don't think you get it. There are 6 mons who are used on BP and the "4" mons (again, an estimate) who can check BP.

6 + 4 = 10

That will become the majority of the metagame, most currently OU mons will fall below the 3.14 (wait, thats pi, meh close enough) cutoff due to the fact that in a BP centered Meta, nothing else is viable. The OU viability ranking thread will only have these 10 mons listed, all of them in S, and no discussion on the matter will occur. Teambuilding will be the most boring affair you could imagine, with a simple Ctrl+C Ctrl+V sufficing. This is an overdramatization but close to this will happen, it already is seeing as roughly every 1 in 2 battles I have are against BP

Order of severity. A lot of offensive teams run a Stallbreaker to do just what it says on the tin, break stall, but that doesn't mean Stall is over centralizing. Just as long as the options to it are varied as to prevent stagnation and repetition then it is not unhealthy for the Meta. Now, if the only answer to stop Baton Pass was something silly like Haze Quagsire, and everyone had to run Haze Quagsire in order to stop baton pass, like Rocky Helmet Garchomp to stop Khanga, then yes, it would be kind of silly. Baton Pass counters are much more varied than that, though they could stand to be just slightly more-so. This is why option #2 is very viable to remove a little bit of Baton Passes built in redundancy that mitigates its checks.
Stall breakers exist, and they are fairly abundant when compared to the amount of BP chain stoppers.

Yea, because Haze Ninja/Gengar isn't silly. . .

I heartily maintain that something is not "better" if it does not perform the job of the thing "inferior" to it. As long as a pokemon handles Baton Pass better than its predecessor then it can stand on its own feet with that merit.
Ah, so (insert offensive mon) isn't better for a HO team than Quagsire since it "doesn't perform the job of the thing 'inferior to it".
I'm done here. I'm hoping you're trolling, but I know you're not.

Fine, all you need to know is, "Baton Pass is dumb," and it's getting banned.
Long as it's #2 that's perfect.

I made the decision to not affect DDMegados' ability to sweep what I believed the majority of teams were by removing Ice Fang. Thats the whole point, I can counter it, but I'll regret not being able to cover things that I need Ice Fang for.
The concept of a tradeoff is staggering.

I'm not insulting anybody who can understand anything more than basic English so I don't see the problem. Oh and don't Americans have that thing they always say, what is it? Oh that's right FREEDOM BITCH! (now I know why Americans enjoy that so much)
... What? Are you saying your opponent did not speak English? What does this have to do with freedom?

Like I said, MB Roar forces me to lose needed coverage so that I can maybe beat BP, I took an optimistic risk thinking BP wouldn't be as prevalent anymore. And no, its not a guaranteed win at all, even with MB Roar. Sylveon exists and can beat any variant of Megados, guaranteed. Before you say "but how does he bring it in", don't forget that BP has switch initiative so the only time you can bring it in is on a revenge KO, not the best way to check something is it?
Keep in mind any turn he is not creating a sub or is activly boosting is a turn in which he can't Baton Pass. Break his sub on something not named Sylveon and bring Gyara in. Outplay your opponent and predict his actions, he can't do everything on the same turn.

That will become the majority of the metagame, most currently OU mons will fall below the 3.14 (wait, thats pi, meh close enough) cutoff due to the fact that in a BP centered Meta, nothing else is viable. The OU viability ranking thread will only have these 10 mons listed, all of them in S, and no discussion on the matter will occur. Teambuilding will be the most boring affair you could imagine, with a simple Ctrl+C Ctrl+V sufficing. This is an overdramatization but close to this will happen, it already is seeing as roughly every 1 in 2 battles I have are against BP
Wow. That is some kind of world you live in. Even in your base argument here it will be baton Pass and four other pokemon to deal with them. Presumably each of those four will belong to an archtype that will still have all of their own variations in build that they essentially do now? I'm still not seeing how there will be 10 and 10 only when, even by your doom saying standards, that's 30 pokemon assuming each of the four counter BPers have the other 5 pokemon on their team completely locked in.

Ah, so (insert offensive mon) isn't better for a HO team than Quagsire since it "doesn't perform the job of the thing 'inferior to it".
For hyper offense? How about something like a Crobat with Infiltrator and Haze? A set like Brave Bird, Taunt/Toxic, Haze, U-Turn/Substitute/Roost with Black Sludge? You can wipe their boosts consistently thanks to Haze, you don't care if they bring up a sub due to infiltrator so they're largely only harming themselves and, thanks to keeping their speed consistently unboosted, you have the option to either outspeed and Taunt Smeargle before he can spore you or you can run Toxic to heavily cripple their Zapdos switchin and essentially remove their Crobat counter completely. When they do bring in Zapdos U-Turn out to something like Diggersby or Garchomp and keep pressure on its subs until it swaps out. At that point you can bring in Crobat for free again because all they can have are subs, which do nothing, one, maaaybe two Special Defense boosts, which do nothing, and the hardest things they can hit you with is a 20 to 40 base power Stored Power or a not very effective Hyper Voice.

Think of it like a stallbreaker. Sound better than Quagsire?

I'm done here. I'm hoping you're trolling, but I know you're not.
Live long and prosper.

Last edited:
Keep in mind any turn he is not creating a sub or is activly boosting is a turn in which he can't Baton Pass. Break his sub on something not names Sylveon and bring Gyara in. Outplay your opponent and predict his actions, he can't do everything on the same turn.

Wow. That is some kind of world you live in. Even in your base argument here it will be baton Pass and four other pokemon to deal with them. Presumably each of those four will belong to an archtype that will still have all of their own variations in build that they essentially do now? I'm still not seeing how there will be 10 and 10 only when, even by your doom saying standards, that's 30 pokemon assuming each of the four counter BPers have the other 5 pokemon on their team completely locked in.
You just said it, you have to be 100% at predicting each and every move of the BPer for each of the 25-40 turns, there's nothing wrong with that except predictions can and often will be wrong, its impossible to guarantee a prediction.

God I can't even be bothered responding to you, suspect ends soon and I hopefully never have to see BP again.

You just said it, you have to be 100% at predicting each and every move of the BPer for each of the 25-40 turns, there's nothing wrong with that except predictions can and often will be wrong, its impossible to guarantee a prediction.
No? Did you guess correctly once when they were going for a sub or a boost? Congratulations, you broke their chain with Mega-Gyarados. It really isn't that difficult, and it is, by no means, 20 consecutive correct predictions. Getting their chain broken with their sub taken down is a huge deal for BP.

I'll leave my opinion... The fact that teams based on full BP chains limits the teambuilding for me is enough reason to restrict their use in the current metagame, now everyone in OU suspect is carrying taunters and dedicated counters to this style of play but outside there is something very different. In addition, this kind of teams make stall teams unviable if you do not have a dedicated counter which is difficult to fit into a team of these characteristics, more than enough reason to limit BP, so my vote goes to Forbid the use of the move Baton Pass on more than 3 Pokémon on the same team (complex ban).

No? Did you guess correctly once when they were going for a sub or a boost? Congratulations, you broke their chain with Mega-Gyarados. It really isn't that difficult, and it is, by no means, 20 consecutive correct predictions. Getting their chain broken with their sub taken down is a huge deal for BP.
You've seriously never played against a decent baton pass abuser, have you? Here's an interesting fact; that's not how it works.

Honestly when I read this thread I've come to realize most people arguing for the ban of baton pass are relatively bad at Pokemon. If you play smart and predict you can win against baton pass without a true counter. But because you folks are mostly awful at Pokemon and can't predict even once, you assume the whole play style is broken. Baton pass plays the same way every game, yet you people can't predict how to beat it..

As Tactical said, a well played anything can beat anything, clearly you all aren't playing well.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honestly when I read this thread I've come to realize most people arguing for the ban of baton pass are relatively bad at Pokemon. If you play smart and predict you can win against baton pass without a true counter. But because you folks are mostly awful at Pokemon and can't predict even once, you assume the whole play style is broken. Baton pass plays the same way every game, yet you people can't predict how to beat it..

As Tactical said, a well played anything can beat anything, clearly you all aren't playing well.
You say it's mostly bad players, but you don't see anyone good arguing for Baton Pass, do you? There's a reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)