XY Sky Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, if Aerodactyl isn't packing Crunch Bronzong completely walls it and can Gyro Ball for a possible OHKO. Even Crunch off of Mega Aerodactyl can't hit it for more than 70% without any boosts.

I'd like to see Cryogonal moved up at least one rank. It is one of only three pokes with access to rapid spin, which not only rids your team of stealth rock, but also keeps your own up, which is huge in a metagame compromised by mainly flying types. It also had decent special bulk, status, recovery and also STAB ice beam/freeze dry, with decent speed to back it up. With the only spin blockers being Rotom, Haunter and Driftblim, it has a very easy time of it. It can come in on top tier threats like Thundurus lacking focus blast, Zapdos, Uxie and Cresselia.

I'd also suggest moving Zapdos up a rank. While not as bulky as Cresselia, and having a weakness to stealth rock, it has STAB tbolt/voltswitch, better recovery, a non-useless ability and more importantly, defog.

Bronzong is also really fantastic, being one of a tiny number of Pokemon that actually resists Stealth Rock, and the only one of those that isn't vulnerable to any of Ice, Rock, or Electric, and in fact it resists two out of three. Furthermore, the majority of things in the tier are really fast, so Gyro Ball is very reliable as a high-power move, and since a lot of the tier is relatively fragile, even many things that resist Steel take a shocking amount of damage from it. And of course Cryogonal and Aerodactyl are both important Pokemon that are actually in danger of being one-shotted by Gyro Ball. (With no Attack boost at all against maxed HP and Defense and a Defense boosting nature Cryogonal is OHKOed, every time)

Since pretty much anything that can be STAB super-effective on Bronzong is physically weighted (Exception: Mega Charizard Y, but most people prefer to use X) you can dump EVs into Defense and not worry overmuch about being comparatively weak in Special Defense too. Since very little is actually vulnerable to Psychic while several important threats resist it, you can feel free to dump Zen Headbutt in favor of some form of coverage, such as Rock Slide.

It does hurt that Charizard and Skarmory are widely used and both present problems for Bronzong. Nonetheless I have, however ridiculous it might sound, swept teams with Bronzong that were not actually terrible teams and were prepared for the broader meta but had apparently not accounted for Bronzong.

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
In regards to the Viability Rankings: I'm confused as to why Rotom-W is not ranked. It's an excellent glue Pokemon checking the Talonflame, Landorus's, and M-Gyara. Rotom-W can't reliably check Charizard-X, however it can put a dent in it with a Hydro Pump while being able to take at least a +1 Dragon Claw. STAB Volt Switch is also amazing in this tier, being one of the better pivoters in the metagame. Rotom is easily worn down however so it can't reliably check everything all match if you decide to use it. Surprise Freeze-Drys also suck from Articuno and Cryogonal. For this reason, Rotom-W should be A-Rank however you can make an arguement for B-Rank.

Also agreeing on Cryogonal being moved up. The best offensive spinner, and an excellent offensive typing to smack a lot of stuff around. It's frail but eh and the weakness to SR is also annoying, but 105 Speed and getting rid of SR without getting rid of your own is cool. Honestly from my experience with it, it's a B-Rank 'mon but if people want it in C-Rank it's ok.

Alright, my thoughts on this tier. Mega Gyarados and Mega Charizard X are both so dangerous. One dragon dance and you can say goodbye to your weakened team. I suggest you move Mega Gyrados up to A rank. Scarf Latios is also pretty good as it can check +1 Zard X, Landorus(-T), Thudurus Therian, and many others. I havent actually used this but I think Choice Scarf Salamence could be interesting. Simply revenge a weakened poke, get a moxie boost, snowball effect.

EV

Banned deucer.
The leadership team has decided to remove the permanent Sky Battles ladder from the simulator due to its low activity level on Showdown and Smogon. It will be replaced on the daily tour roster as well.

Well, I wanna be disappointed, except it really is low activity -and it's low activity because it's kind of boring.

Time to delete some teams!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So since this thread has been rather inactive, here's a mini-Viability Rankings. Approved by The Eevee General

S Rank:

A Rank:

B Rank:

C Rank:

D Rank:
Cryogonal shouldn't be D rank. It effectively deals with Thundurus-T/-I (the latter sometimes), Zapdos, Togekiss, Landorus, and Gyarados (Freeze-Dry, if not DD'd). I used a Life Orb set with Rapid Spin/Freeze-Dry/Ice Beam/Recover (i think) and it was great. Was on a team that kept me in #1 position for a while too, but that was a long time ago and probably irrelevant lol.

edit: dam, rip sky battles. :[

Due to Sky Battle's lack of activity, and our low opinion of this format made by Gamefreak, we are closing this OM. The format will remain on Pokemon Showdown, only because it is an in-game format, but will now completely follow the in-game rules and bans.

Yes this also means it isn't eligible for OM of the Month.

EDIT: Well I just found out that it is only an XY thing and ORAS allows all Pokemon in the sky. No point in keeping it as a format on Pokemon Showdown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)