XY UU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
Alright, my two cents here.

Infernape: A+
There are no safe switch-ins to the LO mixed set, meaning you are going to often have to sac off something and bring in a check. This means that every time Ape gets a safe switch, it is going to contribute assuming you predict correctly. However, Infernape also shines with its versatility, as it can easily be a dedicated lead, a full physical wallbreaker, or a scarf revenge killer. This makes predicting Infernape's attack even harder, and switching in all the more difficult. I feel that all of these pros are easily enough to warrant Ape in A+.

Volcarona: A
Yeah, the thought of Volcarona in UU last generation may have seemed a bit ridiculous, but it's here now, and we have to deal with it. Needless to say, it is very difficult, because very few Pokemon can take any of Volcarona's hits at +1, barring dedicated special walls such as Blissey and AV Snorlax. Plus, given its moderate bulk, setting up a QD shouldn't be hard, assuming you don't try to set up on Aerodactyl. Plus, there are many variations on the classic Volcarona set, such as a Roost variant, a ChestoRest variant and a Sub + QD set. However, I do not feel this 'mon quite deserves the elite tier of A+ rank, due to its counters (rock types, scarf Mirnshao), its serious 4MSS (can't run coverage and recovery) as well as its 4x rock weakness. Nevertheless, Volcarona is one of the biggest threats in the meta, and is definitely deserving of rank A.

Alakazam: A+
Wowie, what a wallbreaker. And a fast one at that- base 120 outruns non-Scarf Mienshao, Infernape and Galvantula just to name a few threats. However, as said before, Alakazam has potent offensive power to back up its speed, possessing powerful Psychic STAB off a very high base 135 SAtk, which is enough to put a serious dent in anything that isn't a pink blob. Combine that with perfect unresisted coverage in Shadow Ball, Focus Blast and Dazzling Gleam, and you have one of the best Pokes in the tier. And, just as the icing on the cake, its ability Magic Guard makes it immune to things such as hazards and Poison damage. And while its nonexistent bulk and one-dimensionalness keeps it out of S rank, anything lower than A+ is a crime against humanity.

---->
Mega Alakazam: S
I really don't feel like restating what others have said already, so I'll keep it short and concise. Honestly, Mega Alakazam is, bar none, the most threatening offensive Pokemon in the tier right now. Why you may ask? Well, look no farther than base 175 SAtk and base 150 SPD. This means that Mega-Sam is hitting the highest speed tier in UU, only speed tying with Aerodactyl. Plus, that SAtk stat means that this thing can leave massive dents in even the sturdiest of walls. However, the main reason that this thing is so scary, is its new ability, Trace. The amount of beneficial abilities that can be traced is RIDICULOUS. Want examples? Bring Mega-Zam in on a safe switch against a Nido. Trace Sheer Force. Yeah, now they're in trouble. Or, maybe you come in on P-Z and snag Adaptability. Yeah, enjoy taking Psychic now. Honestly, I could not find a reason to put Mega-Zam anywhere other than with the best of the best in S Rank.
yeh I completely agree with infernape. People think its best set is scarf, which is still good no denying, but its mixed life orb set is awesome, it legit has no safe switch ins.

What is the moveset and Evs for the mixed life orb set?
All I remember is that the EVs for Mixed LO is 252 Att / 4 Sp Att / 252 Spe with a Hasyt/Naive nature or 180 Att / 76 SpAtt / 252 Spe with a Hasty/Naive nature. Moveset is Overheat/CC/Thunderpunch/ and your choice of Mach Punch or U-Turn.

However, Slowbro is a somewhat safe check to Mixed LO Infernape:

180 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 140-166 (35.5 - 42.1%) -- 89.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 148-177 (37.5 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Infernape: 230-272 (78.4 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
However, Bro's 2HKOed with Grass Knot, so you could try that. Considering that most of the important bulky waters in the tier are Physically invested, Grass Knot hits hard.

It's Gen IV all over again, guys.

Infernape is definitely an A+ right now. As for the Blissey hypetrain, I would definitely say that Blissey is A or even A-. Yeah, Blissey is fat. We get it. In all of her fatness, she still has two fatal flaws that make her bad.

1) Shit-tier defense
2) Massive set-up bait

The first is self-explanatory. With no resistances to make use of, her Defenses is what they are. Thus, she gets trucked by even the weakest of Neutral hits. The second one really just talk about how she can wall take hits but can't do anything back. The best way to explain this is through Florges and Umbreon. Both of these Pokemon have tools that allow it to seriously hurt the Pokemon they're walling. Florges' Moonblast fucks up most Dragons and Foul Play just fucks up a lot of switch-ins looking to capitalize on Umbreon's weaker Defense. Blissey can't really do much besides just Seismic Tossing things. It's a good consistent source of damage that really helps in stall wars, but against high-paced offense metas (like now), she can't hold up. If anything, I can say that her presence has helped Stall a bit as a playstyle by combining multiple roles into one Pokemon and is a godsend against the shitton of Specially based wallbreakers in UU, but in a metagame where MegaZam is on every single team, she's gonna sit on the back burner a bit.

Unless Alakazite is going to be banned (obviously) before Koko/Limitless change the Viability rankings, Blissey imo is A/A-.

Blissey for A- While there is no doubt denying that she is by far away the best special wall in the tier, she is absolutely monstered by any physical fighting attack which are very common in UU. Heracross, Lucario, Infernape, Mienshao and Machamp can all OHKO while she can do very little back. Not to mention, she is absolutely fantastic set up bait as well. Umbreon can foul play, Florges can do decent damage with moonblast while all Blissey can do is either toxic or seismic toss which both allow at least 1 turn of set up and several turns to wreck havoc. She can literally not do a thing to Lucario, the last 3 games I have encountered one my Lucario has swept 4, 4 and 5 pokemon as all she can do is 35% with Seismic toss.

There is no doubting she is good at what she is meant to be used for, but the flaws are way too big for her to be in A+ and IMO A as well

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
Blissey for A- While there is no doubt denying that she is by far away the best special wall in the tier, she is absolutely monstered by any physical fighting attack which are very common in UU. Heracross, Lucario, Infernape, Mienshao and Machamp can all OHKO while she can do very little back. Not to mention, she is absolutely fantastic set up bait as well. Umbreon can foul play, Florges can do decent damage with moonblast while all Blissey can do is either toxic or seismic toss which both allow at least 1 turn of set up and several turns to wreck havoc. She can literally not do a thing to Lucario, the last 3 games I have encountered one my Lucario has swept 4, 4 and 5 pokemon as all she can do is 35% with Seismic toss.

There is no doubting she is good at what she is meant to be used for, but the flaws are way too big for her to be in A+ and IMO A as well
I don't think you understand blissey to well. You say it has a crippling fighting weakness, well that is what teamates are for and is what is holding it back from S but not by too much, seriously tho, aegislash dies to bisharp in OU and its still S, not that good of an argument. Blissey can twave incoming lucs and cripple them and blissey will always be paired with something that can take fighting types, aswell as that, luc hates to lose 35% of its health on switch in and if rocks are up 40%. Blissey can than switch to a fighting counter and then luc is pretty much useless. The fact that blissey completely stops most of the special attacks in the tier, has amazing utiliity in twave, stealth rock, heall bell and wish aswell as reliable recovery in softboiled aswell as a very reliable damage output in stoss really make it an A+ defencive threat IMO.

I don't think you understand blissey to well. You say it has a crippling fighting weakness, well that is what teamates are for and is what is holding it back from S but not by too much, seriously tho, aegislash dies to bisharp in OU and its still S, not that good of an argument. Blissey can twave incoming lucs and cripple them and blissey will always be paired with something that can take fighting types, aswell as that, luc hates to lose 35% of its health on switch in and if rocks are up 40%. Blissey can than switch to a fighting counter and then luc is pretty much useless. The fact that blissey completely stops most of the special attacks in the tier, has amazing utiliity in twave, stealth rock, heall bell and wish aswell as reliable recovery in softboiled aswell as a very reliable damage output in stoss really make it an A+ defencive threat IMO.
The problem is though that Blissey will get 2HKO'd by most physical threats and it cannot rely on team mates for that long. Just about every team carries something that forces Blissey to switch out and then your team starts taking far too much damage. You cannot repeatedly switch anything into pokemon like Heracross, Mienshao and Infernape that will OHKO Blissey without wearing your whole team down. And then all the bonuses that you state come with a horrible 4MSS, there's probably about 7 moves that you want to run. While Blissey can stop things from setting up with t-wave, it most likely has to lose its main way of doing damage or healing team mates.

yeah but i guess since florges gets 2hko'd by 3/4 of the physical tier i guess that's a shitty wall too amirite?? the fact that blissey pretty much walls any special attacker not carrying psyshock in the goddamn tier and can stall set-up users out with toxic is more than enough to warrant it A or A+. You pretty much have cover all those mons you mentioned with Gligar and Slowbro, which is 3/4 of the new pink core (assuming Blissey stays anyway). How the hell does Blissey have a bad case of 4MSS? you're either running toxic / softboiled or wish / protect in your other slots, depending on the team you're running, and both moves can be covered p easily by other pokes on BO / Stall.

and if you're saying that blissey is set-up bait, that's only true in terms of physical setups since iirc volc doesn't even 2hko Blissey at +3 and at that point Volc just becomes Toxic bait. A good portion of physical set-ups (in other words luke) get walled by gligar if lukes running crunch, and slowbro if itsrunning ip (i think crunch doesnt even ohko at +2 which is risking the scald burn / paralysis). i can see it in A but there's no way in hell its A- lmfao

I've made up my mind about Blissey:
- It can fit onto defensive cores extremely well: Slowbro and Mew cover its Fighting-type weakness, while Florges resists the Dark-types that aim their moves in Slowbro and Mew's way. Gligar supports it by taking any physical hit thrown at Blissey while providing a Fighting resist. Also notable is Blissey's coveted Ghost immunity, enabling it to effortlessly absorb Ghost-type moves for Slowbro and Mew.
- It provides sublime offensive support thanks to its enormous Wishes, ranging from 325 to 357 HP. This means it can restore almost ANY UU Pokémon to full health.
- It's extremely easy to slap on teams due to the immense amount of support it brings: cleric (Heal Bell/Aromatherapy, Wish) and SR support.
~ Flaws are its pathetic Defense and it being setup bait for some Pokémon, as well as being outright countered by Sableye. However, the aforementioned Gligar, Slowbro and Mew can take physical hits.

Due to all of this, I believe Blissey deserves A+ Rank.

What niche does Electivire have in UU?
The physical set can as far as I can see OHKO Durant and the mixed set is outclassed by any offensive 'mon in the tier because nothing relevant seems to be threatened. Aspecially now with all the big special walls in the tier, WoW should be almost everywhere.

What niche does Electivire have in UU?
The physical set can as far as I can see OHKO Durant and the mixed set is outclassed by any offensive 'mon in the tier because nothing relevant seems to be threatened. Aspecially now with all the big special walls in the tier, WoW should be almost everywhere.
Well that is exactly the thing mertyville, it really has no worthwhile niche in UU. And why are you mentioning Durant who almost non-existent in UU? But yeah, Electivire doesn't fit too well in the UU meta at all really :/

Well that is exactly the thing mertyville, it really has no worthwhile niche in UU. And why are you mentioning Durant who almost non-existent in UU? But yeah, Electivire doesn't fit too well in the UU meta at all really :/
Because both are listed in the viability ranking and it should have 'mons that are worth playing in the tier what I "fail" to see with Electivire.

Because both are listed in the viability ranking and it should have 'mons that are worth playing in the tier what I "fail" to see with Electivire.
Yeah, it probably doesn't deserve to be on the list at the moment. But it may have had a better niche pre-tier shift with more Electric Pokemon such as Manectric and Magnezone if you can grab a Motor Drive. Do keep in mind that the list is rather behind though, and isn't that up to date. Quite a few Pokemon are ranked a bit higher than they should since certain changes to the tier and losses of any worthwhile niches.

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
The retests are going to be interesting. I think maggy will rejoin uu because blissey stops it in its tracks, the same could happen with thundy t. Not sure about the others though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)