Yveltal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is LO really a good idea on this Yveltal set combined with substitute? I know Oblivion Wing provides a lot of recovery but isn't that still counter productive?
no it isn't, the recovery from obvlivion wing is massive, and you will either recover the health kill with its coverage. although taunt is better, as it helps more then sub.

I am really liking the LO taunt+3 attack set. My Ybird is Timid, with max IVs in HP, spAtk, and Speed, BUT 0 IVs in defense :(
I'm using the standard 252satk, 224 speed spread, but that defense stat always makes me nervous.

Thoughts on dropping some EVs to no longer outspeed Jolly Rayquaza, and moving the 32 from HP to defense to get a respectable score there? I've only run into 1 rayquaza so far, and it was DD anyway so speed was futile. Although I guess another 60+ EVs in defense probably won't save me from most rayquaza attacks I wouldn't survive now, but hitting a weakened SR and LO'd rayquaza first might. Hmm.

Last edited:
I use
Yvetal @ Leftovers
Jolly
0att
70hp 252def 186spe
Taunt
Toxic
Foul Play
Roost
Up the speed to out speed pos natured base 90's and get the taunt/toxic off first in the mirror.
Enough def to survive +2 life orb arceus e speed after rocks damage

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I use
Yvetal @ Leftovers
Jolly
0att
70hp 252def 186spe
Taunt
Toxic
Foul Play
Roost
Up the speed to out speed pos natured base 90's and get the taunt/toxic off first in the mirror.
Enough def to survive +2 life orb arceus e speed after rocks damage
Why jolly?
Why that awkward speed?

I usually use a hone claws Mixed set.
Yveltal @ Life orb/Leftovers
Trait: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 HP/ 28 Atk/252 SAtk/224 Spd
Hasty/Naive Nature
-Hone Claws
-Sucker Punch
-Hurricane
-Dragon rush/Focus blast
When I run dragon rush I give more EVs in atk (156)

So far I've had success with this set.

Why jolly?
Why that awkward speed?
He explained that running 186 spd to outspeed positive natured 90 Base pokemon. (such as Dialga and Kyogre)

Last edited:
I am really liking the LO taunt+3 attack set. My Ybird is Timid, with max IVs in HP, spAtk, and Speed, BUT 0 IVs in defense :(
I'm using the standard 252satk, 224 speed spread, but that defense stat always makes me nervous.

Thoughts on dropping some EVs to no longer outspeed Jolly Rayquaza, and moving the 32 from HP to defense to get a respectable score there? I've only run into 1 rayquaza so far, and it was DD anyway so speed was futile. Although I guess another 60+ EVs in defense probably won't save me from most rayquaza attacks I wouldn't survive now, but hitting a weakened SR and LO'd rayquaza first might. Hmm.
Rayquaza is almost always DD, But I recommend having an uneven HP and Keep the speed, since multiple Uber threaths have a base 95 speed (like Rayquaza and Kyurem-W)

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems to be the most solid set for my Yveltal, so far. I'm thinking Psychic could probably go, but not sure quite what to replace it with. Focus Blast isn't one of my preferences, but it does give solid coverage...thoughts, everyone?

Yveltal @ Life Orb
4HP/252SpAtk/252Spd (not its final distribution, just pending finding another reset bag)
Modest nature
-Dark Pulse
-Oblivion Wing
-Psychic
-U-turn

This seems to be the most solid set for my Yveltal, so far. I'm thinking Psychic could probably go, but not sure quite what to replace it with. Focus Blast isn't one of my preferences, but it does give solid coverage...thoughts, everyone?

Yveltal @ Life Orb
4HP/252SpAtk/252Spd (not its final distribution, just pending finding another reset bag)
Modest nature
-Dark Pulse
-Oblivion Wing
-Psychic
-U-turn
With a Modest nature I would run a scarf (That is what I do atleast) And I recommend Switching Psychic for Focus blast or another coverage move.

I'm wondering whether Timid or Modest would be better for this particular set and which EV spread is better.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP OR 252 SpAtk, 252 HP, 4 SpDef
-Dark Pulse
-Oblivion Wing
-Focus Blast
-Roost

Haruno

I'm wondering whether Timid or Modest would be better for this particular set and which EV spread is better.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP OR 252 SpAtk, 252 HP, 4 SpDef
-Dark Pulse
-Oblivion Wing
-Focus Blast
-Roost
Ditch roost
Ditch focus blast
Use taunt and sucker punch/foul play instead. There is no better between modest and timid, it's up entirely to preference

Haruno

Which EV spread of the two I listed would you recommend?
Just run standard 252spa/252spe if you're running an offensive yveltal. The nature is up to preference though -atk tends to be alright since sucker punch still ohko's mmy with a negative nature

Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 204 Atk / 80 SAtk / 224 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

This is probably the best set to run. Dark Pulse and Sucker Punch receive a nice 33% boost thanks to Dark Aura, so they're pretty much mandatory. Taunt is an excellent move on Yveltal, and allows it to effectively break down defensive mons. Oblivion Wing is a secondary stab, and provides really useful recovery. The EV's outspeed Adamant Rayquaza and below. Sucker Punch makes more investment rather unnecessary. Attack and Special Attack are evened out at 349 each because there's no reason to run a different spread.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 204 Atk / 80 SAtk / 224 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

This is probably the best set to run. Dark Pulse and Sucker Punch receive a nice 33% boost thanks to Dark Aura, so they're pretty much mandatory. Taunt is an excellent move on Yveltal, and allows it to effectively break down defensive mons. Oblivion Wing is a secondary stab, and provides really useful recovery. The EV's outspeed Adamant Rayquaza and below. Sucker Punch makes more investment rather unnecessary. Attack and Special Attack are evened out at 349 each because there's no reason to run a different spread.
The only problem is that without a + speed nature you'll get outspeed by every 90+ base speed poke with a + speed nature (Rayquaza, Zekrom and Ho-oh are great exaples)

None of those are great examples as they don't run Jolly...
They can all run both. and if you want me to list all 90-95 base speed viable pokemon in the uber metagame, I can do that.

Uber pokes
Dialga - 90 base speed
Giratina - 90 base speed
Giratina-O - 90 base speed
Groudon - 90 base speed
Kyurem-W - 95 base speed
Kyogre - 90 base speed
Ho-Oh - 90 base speed
Rayquaza - 95 base speed
Zekrom - 90 base speed
Reshiram - 90 base speed

Viable OU pokes
Gliscor - 95 base speed
Kyurem-B - 95 base speed
Ladorus-T - 91 base speed
Deoxys-D - 90 base speed
(Im pretty sure thats it from OU)

They all hate sucker punch bar ray I suppose but ray hates staying in on ygod.
204 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza: 242-286 (68.9 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Also Rayquaza can E-speed on sucker punch.

204 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zekrom: 188-224 (54.9 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And Zekrom will OHKO back with bolt strike

204 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 242-286 (68.5 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Yveltar wins here if SR is not up

How about this?
Yveltal @ Dread Plate
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 244 SAtk / 228 Spd / 36 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Taunt. Stallbreaker+ Mono-Attacker. Even though it hasn't got a flying move. It still is incredibely powerful: with Dark Aura and Dread Plate it's total power is boosted by 53%. Dark Aura = 33 %. Dread Plate gives a 20% boost. And since I concentrated more on Yveltal's Special Attack. I gave him an dread plate to compensate it's spattack with it's attack stat.

How about this?
Yveltal @ Dread Plate
EVs: 244 SAtk / 228 Spd / 36 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Taunt. Stallbreaker+ Mono-Attacker. Even though it hasn't got a flying move. It still is incredibely powerful: with Dark Aura and Dread Plate it's total power is boosted by 53%. Dark Aura = 33 %. Dread Plate gives a 20% boost. And since I concentrated more on Yveltal's Special Attack. I gave him an dread plate to compensate it's spattack with it's attack stat.
Boost do not sum, they are applied one after the other, you add the 33.3% boost first and then 20% to the boosted BP or viceversa.

My Yveltal looks like this:

Yveltal @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Roost

It is designed to check specific threats like Mega-Mewtwo (both X and Y) and Extreme Killer Arceus, who fails to OHKO with +2 ExtremeSpeed by a long shot and is always OHKOed by Foul Play after Rocky Helmet damage. Yveltal provides a good switch in to Aegislash and Arceus-Ghost while threatening the complete arsehole that is Mega-Gengar. Sucker Punch allows Yveltal to act as a solid revenge killer even without Atk investment with STAB and Dark Aura, Taunt works incredibly well alongside it. Foul Play is incredibly threatening to most pokemon in a metagame where base 120 Atk is considered sub-par unless you're Arceus, pokemon like Ho-Oh and even slower Zekrom are forced to flee from Foul Play. As a utility pokemon designed to fill gaps in a team, Yveltal is one of the best against these pokemon.

Boost do not sum, they are applied one after the other, you add the 33.3% boost first and then 20% to the boosted BP or viceversa.

In the end it still will be counted together for damage calcing
.__.. here's a proof: 252 SpA Dread Plate Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Ghost: 360-426 (81 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. it doesn't matter when if they apply one after the other. the point= it will get the boost. Even though it's main objective is filling my team's stallweakness. with taunt. dread plate is just an extra item for power.

In the end it still will be counted together for damage calcing
.__.. here's a proof: 252 SpA Dread Plate Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Ghost: 360-426 (81 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. it doesn't matter when if they apply one after the other. the point= it will get the boost. Even though it's main objective is filling my team's stallweakness. with taunt. dread plate is just an extra item for power.
I know, I was saying that the boost is not 53% but 33.3 % on the 20% boosted move or viceversa. For example, if your Yveltal uses sucker punch, it's base power is not 122 (53% boost) but 128 (33,3 % boost after 20% or vv)
I meant that the percentage of boost do not sum, not the boost themselves.

Oh, ok then. Sorry I misunderstanded your explanation a lil bit. Anyways still poweful right ;). :D. 120 Base power sucker punch with STAB + priority which is like like like veryyy handy. And maybe a +nature for sp.attack or attack for maximizing it's power for either special attack or attack? idk, hasty is also very good

I know I've posted this set in the Official, but perhaps I should have posted it here (plus, I've modified it):

Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 136 Spd / 252 SAtk / 76 Atk / 44 HP
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Oblivion Wing
- Substitute

As stated before, the 44 HP is for 101 Substitutes, max Special Attack for the obvious reasons, and the 76 Attack is just enough to ensure a OHKO against Mega-Mewtwo Y with Sucker Punch after Stealth Rocks. The rest is dumped into Speed because why not? I'm still a bit unsure of this, as it may not need so much Speed investments and maybe a bit more into HP or Attack.
This set has a lot of potential, i was thinking on something similar, since Life Orb boosts his power even further and lessen switches, specially coupled with dark aura. Being dark and flying type gives it two good immunities to switch into them and set up substitute, which can Block ditto, unwanted status or pseudo status, faster priority moves and forces foe to attack and ease sucker punch prediction. Sucker Punch also provides necessary priority to either dent or K.O. some faster or weakened threats.

Due to it's high base speed it can outrun most of the Uber tier without much investment, this benefits greatly the use of oblivion wing, which in tandem with substitute will keep Yveltal healthy enough to keep using substitutes and it's life orb to gather more damage on your foe's Pokémon thanks to Yveltal great offenses and it's ability. Dark pulse gives it a much more powerful stab option with the chance to flinch which can be dangerous for your opponent if you are behind a substitute plus also giving it a reliable stab coverage move.

The only thing i have to differ from its the speed EV's and nature it needs i rather run Yveltal with a Hasty nature to ensure outrunning almost all of the Uber tier, plus since most of the uber tier it's special with it's natural high hp can take a few special hits and thanks to substitute doesn't actually have to fight directly with physical attackers. 48 Hp instead helps for 101 substitutes but also reaches a magic life orb number which helps to get one extra switch on steal rocks and Survive after 40 times of Life Orb Recoil Alone. Since Life Orb and Dark Aura will augment it's Sucker Punch Power with 28 atk EV's it's more than enough to dent or K.O. weakened/faster Pokémon.

208 Spa Reaches 350 Special Attack which it's enough to ensure high damage on your target's thanks to life orb and Dark Aura. Finally 224 Speed reaches 319 Speed which is enough to outrun most of the Uber tier and also take advantage of it's substitute and Oblivion Wing. At least that is how i see him, but also a SubRoost set will be excellent if you don't actually care about fighting things like Mega Mewtwo Y and Similar faster Pokémon. Up next Some Calcs;

• 208 SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 196-231 (55.6 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 28 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 351-413 (49.1 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • 208 SpA Life Orb Yveltal Oblivion Wing vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Darkrai: 181-214 (64.4 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 208 SpA Life Orb Yveltal Oblivion Wing vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 251-296 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 28 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 244-291 (54.9 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 208 SpA Life Orb Yveltal Oblivion Wing vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 315-374 (76 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 28 Atk Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 259-305 (67.4 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)