ZapGon(An OU 2v2 warstory)

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello everybody, this is me with a doubles warstory. I was trying to ladder on Pokemon Online, when I came across En Fuego on the ladder. In this warstory, I am Machamp. Our teams:-

HFB's team

En Fuego's team

Log will be like this.
Comments will be like this.

Battle between En Fuego and Machamp started!

Tier: OU Doubles
Variation: +42, -37
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Freeze Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Species Clause

Machamp sent out Infernape!
En Fuego sent out Vaporeon!
Machamp sent out Starmie!
En Fuego sent out Toxicroak!
OK, here we go. Now its obvious right off the bat that En Fuego is running a Rain Dance team, so I need to make my plans. The most obvious thing to do is my standard start: Fake Out one Pokemon, and batter the other with Starmie. Now its blatantly obvious Toxicroak will Fake Out and Vaporeon will use Rain Dance, so I accordingly select my moves.

: 100%(Sashed)
: 100%

Start of turn 1
Infernape used Fake Out!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 12% of its health!

The foe's Toxicroak flinched!

Starmie used Thunder!
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Vaporeon fainted!

The foe's Toxicroak restored a little HP using its Black Sludge!
En Fuego sent out Kingdra!
Ok, excellent. Now I’ve stopped Rain Dance from going up(with some crit hax), and did a bit of damage to Toxicroak, and prevented it from moving. I’ve managed to win the first part of this battle: The lead face off. He’s lost the chance to Fake Out further without switching, and does not have Rain Dance, meaning I will likely get another KO next turn. He now brings in Kingdra, which is going to be eating another Thunder from my Wide Lens Starmie. Also, PO does not show Life Orb recoil in the log, just saying. 6-5

: 100% (Focus Sash)
: Shocked
: 94%

Bobtheball4 is watching the battle.

Start of turn 2
The foe's Toxicroak used Sucker Punch!
It's super effective!
Starmie lost 204 HP! (78% of its health)

Infernape used Fire Blast!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 82% of its health!

Starmie used Thunder!
The foe's Kingdra lost 38% of its health!
The foe's Kingdra is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The foe's Kingdra used Surf!
It's super effective!
Infernape lost 292 HP! (99% of its health)
Infernape hung on using its focus sash!
It's not very effective...
Starmie lost 57 HP! (21% of its health)
Starmie fainted!
The foe's Toxicroak restored HP using its Dry Skin!

Machamp sent out Celebi!
Lots of stuff happens this term, and the game is leveled to 5-5. Infernape annoyingly misses out on KOing Toxicroak, and while I get some more hax with Starmie(hey, it has a 30% chance of happening), I lose Starmie. Now the lead phase is officially over, and I have a very annoying Toxicroak that is going to be healed regularly on my hands. Not good. I bring out my Scarf Celebi to net the KO on Kingdra before it can do something scary like setting up Rain Dance.

: 1%(broken Sash)
: Surprised and wiped out
: 43%
: 62%

Start of turn 3
Machamp called Infernape back!
Machamp sent out Scizor!

But it failed!

Celebi used Energy Ball!
A critical hit!
The foe's Kingdra lost 61% of its health!
The foe's Kingdra fainted!

En Fuego sent out Ludicolo!
I predict the Sucker Punch correctly, bring in Scizor for free, and nab the KO on Kingdra. He sends out Ludicolo, and now I’m in a fix. Energy Ball is not really going to do too much to either of them, necessitating a switch. Toxicroak is also healing very fast, and is bound to be a nuisance soon, but the main Rain sweepers are my prime targets, so I have to predict around Croak until then. 5-4.

: 1%(broken Sash)
: 100%(locked into Energy Ball)
: 49%
: Bowled over

Start of turn 4
Machamp called Celebi back!
Machamp sent out Infernape!

But it failed!

The foe's Ludicolo used Surf!
It's super effective!
Infernape lost 1 HP! (0% of its health)
Infernape fainted!
The foe's Toxicroak restored HP using its Dry Skin!
Scizor lost 136 HP! (48% of its health)

Scizor used U-turn!
It's super effective!
The foe's Ludicolo lost 74% of its health!
Machamp called Scizor back!
Machamp sent out Zapdos!

Zapdos is exerting its Pressure!

The foe's Ludicolo restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Machamp sent out Flygon!
Wow, the log for this turn is pretty long. I play against more Sucker punch mindgames to bring in Infernape for a sacrifice. I pull out my secret weapon on Scizor, U-Turn(which, while not the beast that it is in singles, is still great to pull out of the blue in doubles), to net some heavy damage on Ludicolo and switch. Since I now have the choice of bringing in 2 Pokemon, I choose to start wreaking havoc with my ZapGon offensive core, my replacement for ZapChomp. Toxicroak is also very healthy now, and I need to hope En Fuego switches, or it could be a pain in the neck. 4-4

:
52%

:
Swamped

:
80%

:
32%

Start of turn 5
Zapdos used Heat Wave!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 57% of its health!
The foe's Ludicolo lost 31% of its health!
The foe's Ludicolo fainted!

Flygon used Bug Bite!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 6% of its health!

The foe's Toxicroak used Substitute!
The foe's Toxicroak hasn't enough energy left!

En Fuego sent out Zapdos!

The foe's Zapdos is exerting its Pressure!
I get rid of Ludicolo before it can pull out a Rain Dance, and the Bug Bite intended for Ludicolo redirects to Toxicroak. In hindsight, Earthquake would have been a better choice this turn, but I overpredicted a switch to a Pokemon immune to ground attacks. I plan to EQ the next turn, as I doubt if my opponent has another EQ resist on his team, considering he did not switch Toxicroak.4-3

: 90%
: 23%
: Boiled pineapple

Start of turn 6
En Fuego called Toxicroak back!
En Fuego sent out Gyarados!

The foe's Gyarados intimidates Zapdos!
Zapdos's Attack fell!
The foe's Gyarados intimidates Flygon!
Flygon's Attack fell!
Zapdos used Discharge!
It had no effect!
The foe's Zapdos lost 44% of its health!
It's super effective!
The foe's Gyarados's Wacan Berry weakened Discharge's power!
The foe's Gyarados lost 69% of its health!

Flygon used Earthquake!
It had no effect!
It had no effect!
It had no effect!

The foe's Zapdos used Rain Dance!
It started to rain!

Rain continues to fall!

Screw Zapdos, it finally gets Rain Dance up. Now I’m in deep trouble, since Zapdos’ Thunder STINGS. My EQ comes a turn too late, doing no damage at all. Discharge eats Gyarados’ Wacan Berry, and Gyara Intimidates Flygon, making it close to useless. I don’t have U-Turn, so I have to switch and hope En Fuego does not hit my switch in hard. Also, good play by En Fuego in ensuring my EQ gets wasted.

: 80%
: 23%
: 56%
: 31%(Wacan eaten)

Start of turn 7
Machamp called Flygon back!
Machamp sent out Celebi!

The foe's Gyarados used Protect!
The foe's Gyarados protected itself!

Zapdos used Discharge!
Celebi lost 65 HP! (19% of its health)
The foe's Zapdos lost 43% of its health!
The foe's Gyarados protected itself!

The foe's Zapdos used Thunder!
Zapdos lost 226 HP! (70% of its health)
Zapdos fainted!
Rain continues to fall!
Machamp sent out Scizor!

Ah, now Zapdos, one half of my offensive core is down. Luckily, I manage to bring in Celebi for free, and I’m going to rid it of its Choice Scarf to cripple one of these 2 sweepers. Gyarados uses Protect, which means I don’t get the kill with Discharge like I was hoping to. 3-3

: Shocked
: 81%
: 13%
: 31%(Wacan eaten)

Metabou is watching the battle.

Start of turn 8
Scizor used Protect!
Scizor protected itself!

Celebi used Trick!
Celebi switched items with the foe's Gyarados!
The foe's Gyarados obtained one Choice Scarf!

The foe's Zapdos used Signal Beam!
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Celebi lost 277 HP! (80% of its health)
Celebi fainted!

The foe's Gyarados used Waterfall!
Scizor protected itself!

Rain continues to fall!
Machamp sent out Flygon!
Plan succeeds. I Trick my Choice Scarf, and protect with Scizor, so as to scout what move En Fuego uses. Unfortunately, Zapdos KOs Celebi with Signal Beam, which I completely forgot about, as I run only Heat Wave on my Zapdos. Oh well, I bring back Flygon for the final act. I did make an error, by not killing Zapdos this turn, but luckily it did not make a difference in the end.2-3

: 52%
: Signaled “Out”
: 13%
: 31%(locked into Waterfall)

Start of turn 9
Scizor used Bullet Punch!
The foe's Zapdos lost 12% of its health!
The foe's Zapdos fainted!

Flygon used Rock Slide!
It's super effective!
The foe's Gyarados lost 30% of its health!
The foe's Gyarados fainted!

Rain continues to fall!

En Fuego sent out Toxicroak!

Ladies and gentlemen, THIS is why you should run priority on your teams. I manage to pick off Zapdos, then get a full-powered Rock Slide to beat Gyarados. We say our ggs, as the final result is known. Toxicroak cannot beat both Scizor and Flygon together.

: 70%
: Swiftly punched
: Crushed by rocks

Machamp: gg
En Fuego: gg
Metabou stopped watching the battle.

Start of turn 10
The foe's Toxicroak used Fake Out!
Flygon lost 55 HP! (18% of its health)

Scizor used Bullet Punch!
The foe's Toxicroak lost 22% of its health!
The foe's Toxicroak fainted!

And the game ends, with me winning 2-0. However, the game was a lot closer than the scoreline would suggest! I settle it with a swit Bullet punch.

: Punched swiftly

Now, for props and slops.

Props
  • Scizor for being such a pro and allowing Zapdos safe entry.
  • Infernape and Starmie for cementing why they are excellent leads.
  • Celebi for successfully crippling Gyarados, stopping it from stalling time with Protect.

Slops
  • Allowing Toxicroak to survive so long and be a general pain in the neck with forcing prediction.
  • Flygon failing to do any damage Turn 6.
  • Celebi getting KO’d by Signal Beam out of the blue.
  • Forgetting to set EVs and Nature for Scizor.
Kill Count:-
Infernape-0
Starmie-1
Celebi-1
Scizor-1
Zapdos-1
Flygon-1

Vaporeon-0
Toxicroak
Kingdra-1
Ludicolo-1
Zapdos-2
Gyarados-0

MVP
Scizor@ Iron Plate
252 HP 252 Atk 4 Spe(At the time of the warstory, I had accidentally forgotten to set EVs and nature of Scizor, which probably explains some weird damage totals)
Adamant
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-Protect

This guy’s a beast, seriously. He’s got that admirable Bullet Punch, which allowed him to pick off 2 nearly dead Pokemon. U-Turn was important as it helped me to bring in Zapdos, while Brick Break is another core move which provides general coverage. Protect is part of my team's defenses against Explosion and Selfdestruct. Seriously, he can easily tank a hit and U-Turn out. I run 252 HP instead of 248, simply because entry haxards are so rare in doubles.

Round-Up

You don't find many doubles matches, and the level of competition is pretty low on PO. However, occasionally, you do run across Smogoners. Hope to see more double battles when SB2 comes out!

The critical hit thunder at the start put me behind the whole battle. So I was down 6-5 from the start. I think I would have put up a better fight if I did get rain dance off turn 1.

Wide Lens Starmie. Also, PO does not show Life Orb recoil in the log, just saying.
Your Starmie has 90% health after that turn so I assume you have Life Orb on, not Wide Lens. Just thought I'd point that out for you :)

On topic: Refreshing warstory from the doubles metagame, it's definitely interesting. The crits from Thunder and Energy Ball in the early game are off putting, but it's alright. I have to question Bug Bite on Flygon though, is U-Turn useless in doubles or something?

A slow U-Turn may be useful, a fast one not so much.
Good war story though, the critical hits were unfavorable though. EnFuego, may I ask what Toxicroak set that was? Is it the one from the SkarmBliss VGC09 Analysis?

Destiny Warrior

Oops, need to fix that stuff. It was Wide Lens.

And yes, U-Turn is useless in doubles, unless you use Scizor or FLygon is not part of your core. This is because it forces a switch, which is very unviable in doubles. Ideally, you want to switch when you WANT to, not because you have no other to KO Celebi.

Thanks for the mistake regarding Starmie, I'll fix it.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Too much hax in the first three turns made it unappealing, really. I liked the formatting though.

Seeing as I have been puppy-dog-speeched into reading and then commenting by the OP...

This was a nice warstory. I liked the formatting, and while the hax was off-putting, it's no worse than the stuff I put up with. :p

You decided to warstory a battle in which you critical-hit-Thunder a Vaporeon on the first turn, paralyze a Kingdra on the second, and critical-hit-Energy-Ball that same, paralyzed Kingdra on the third--and come out of the match 2-0, calling it "close"? Meh. Huge meh.

The only reason this was even readable is because it was a Doubles Warstory, which is never seen. But seriously, have some respect for your opponent, at least, and don't post a warstory where he clearly had no chance at all from the get-go.

Good work on the formatting, and the comments were decent.

Destiny Warrior

@Super Effective: While what you say is correct, this game was built heavily around prediction. In doubles, you don't get long stall wars which you need to break out of, its fast and furious hyper offense that you meet. In such a metagame, 2-0 is actually close, becase a lot of Pokemon can make something like 4-2 to 1-0 or worse, 0-1. So it was close, due to prediction warfare.

SO wha you say is true, but it isn't as bad as that.

Not a bad read. Definitely love the doubles action. I nominate this for best formatting of the year. Solid match, though it was a little one-sided for most of it, and you kinda ruined the surprise when you said "but luckily it did not make a difference in the end". Looking forward to more. :)

This definitely was a cool warstory, i really liked the formatting. The team matchup wasnt all that great, but I love seeing some PO warstories. The kill count at the end was a nice touch too.

I love the Zapgon combination on doubles that you came up with. (unless you got it from elsewhere but so what) With that said, pretty decent warstory and it was cool to see a non VGC doubles warstory. I would suggest to keep the commentary a bit more suspensful know what i mean? Keep making more i look forward to these man.

Awesome to see doubles warstories, one of the better ones I've seen.

BTW: Thanks for the battles yesterday. Do you remember me? =P

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
It was a good "warstory", just I didn't care much for the "battle" itself. The hax in the first few turns decided the match, and it wasn't too interesting a battle after that (it was pretty one sided after the haxy turns). Maybe I didn't like the battle because I play VGC all the time so I see much more intense double battles. But anyway, it's always good to see people posting doubles warstories and definitely write another warstory if you have a really good battle!

It was a good "warstory", just I didn't care much for the "battle" itself. The hax in the first few turns decided the match, and it wasn't too interesting a battle after that (it was pretty one sided after the haxy turns). Maybe I didn't like the battle because I play VGC all the time so I see much more intense double battles. But anyway, it's always good to see people posting doubles warstories and definitely write another warstory if you have a really good battle!
VGC is better than Doubles, the Doubles metagame is not really established yet and doesn't even have similar rules to VGC09 which is something it should either completely mimic or it should use something like VGC10 with only Darkrai being banned unless Arceus doesn't get an EV limit and the other Legendary Ubers being "restricted". Doubles is easily the most balanced metagame if properly developed, something which only TPCi has really done for now and I think the Japanese focus on doubles instead of singles as well.

The critical hit thunder at the start put me behind the whole battle. So I was down 6-5 from the start. I think I would have put up a better fight if I did get rain dance off turn 1.
Sorry to interrupt, but "Estoy en fuego" means I'm IN fire, not ON fire. You would have to say "Estoy Quemandome". god i feel just like a grammar nazi

This was a interesting warstory, 2v2 is an nice change of pace. 7/10.

A slow U-Turn may be useful, a fast one not so much.
Good war story though, the critical hits were unfavorable though. EnFuego, may I ask what Toxicroak set that was? Is it the one from the SkarmBliss VGC09 Analysis?
Yea, it was the same build. (Unintentionally). The speed boost helps to get a taunt on annoying things like cresselia.

I do enjoy the VGC metagame, but I find 6v6 battles refreshing. Often times, the VGC metagame can be decided by one minor choice and because of 4v4 that will determine the entire battle. In 6v6, you always get a better chance to make a comeback.

Niklink: I am not literally on fire. My name comes from slang translated from english. Meaning I am on fire in the sense that I am doing well or on a roll

I agree about 6v6, but using Singles tiers for a Doubles metagame just seems so silly to me. I think my ideal doubles meta would basically be VGC10 with 6v6 and the restricted pkmn outright banned.

Destiny Warrior

@Nida: Glad you liked it!

@destinybond: Glad you like it, its really sad that the level of competition is low on PO,or more good battles would happen.

@-JGrey-: Its based on ZapChomp.

@khz: How can I forget you mate, BD Linoone is not very forgettable lol

@Despotar: Thanks!

@BlueCookies: I'll keep what you said in mind.

@Niklink: Thanks!

@EpicTurtle: Thanks!

@Sixfortyfive: We have to deal with that till SB2.

@ChouToshio: Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)