Pokémon Zygarde

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you are using the resttalk set, you will want to set up beforehand anyways, and besides, there are alternative attacks it could use for monoattacking resttalk (crunch). Youcould use outrage on the resttalk set but only when sleeping so you don't get locked into the move

if you are using the resttalk set, you will want to set up beforehand anyways, and besides, there are alternative attacks it could use for monoattacking resttalk (crunch). Youcould use outrage on the resttalk set but only when sleeping so you don't get locked into the move
You don't get locked into Outrage when you use Sleep Talk? Do you still get confused?

alright so I may have to change my views on this guy. This is the set I'm running on UU (beta)

Zyguard
Aura Break (useless ability) w/Leftovers
Impish 200hp 252def 56atk
-Glare
-Earthquake
-Dragon Tail
-Extreme Speed

Now yeah looking at it not the best set, you could do more, this thing need to get movetutor'd stealth rocks, blanblahblah. But holy jesus this thing is bulky...took 2 +2 Close Combats from a Jolly Virizion!? WHAT!? I never would've expected this thing to take 2 of them and then kill with a after the defense drops with EQ and ESpeed. Really this guy is fantastic when it wants to be...definitely underwhelming in terms of this Gen's (and in comparison last Gen's) legendary pokes but it'll definitely do great in Gen 6 UU
Still dont get all the Zyguardian hate....i still use the above set on showdown UU(beta) and its a great wall. I never thought it was really OU viable unless you make a team around it but in UU ITS BEAUTIFUL. In addition, most people aren't prepared to see one and if its Coil...gg you tried unless you a counter. The DD set also seems great for offensive with haxorus being the only other UU that can pull off agood DD sweep. I would say people are trying to fill a niche Zyg isnt suited for or misusing Zyg

well, i was just talking insomuch as stone edge > rock slide
crunch has less power than stone edge, but of course yes, it can be used without prior setup without fear of misses

the real problem imo is that neither of them get STAB, and while outrage and earthquake do, certain pokemon are completely immune to them. i've used a resttalk outrage set on kingdra in past gens, but now that fairies exist, i'm hesitant to even try it.

continuing the theorymon though, maybe a doubles set with a partner to setup gravity and using earthquake / land's wrath as its attack move might be fun.

yes, that could work, as lands wrath acts like earthquake, but does not hit allies from what I know
Land's Wrath should be the preferred move in doubles and triples. That 10 point drop isn't going to be missed because of Zygarde's bulk allowing him to survive multiple hits and of course, his non-flying and non-Levitate teammates won't be taking any damage from it. Also, if you DO have a Levitate teammate in multi-battles like Gengar, Land's Wrath is still safer in case you come across Mold Breaker Haxorus or any other user of it.

But of course, for singles, Land's Wrath is useless.

Land's Wrath should be the preferred move in doubles and triples. That 10 point drop isn't going to be missed because of Zygarde's bulk allowing him to survive multiple hits and of course, his non-flying and non-Levitate teammates won't be taking any damage from it. Also, if you DO have a Levitate teammate in multi-battles like Gengar, Land's Wrath is still safer in case you come across Mold Breaker Haxorus or any other user of it.

Land's Wrath ain't useless, sometimes if you play it right, you can get a win by making the opponent laugh so hard he hits his head and loses to inactivity.

Besides looking cooler than earthquake.

This right here, just remember to have land's wrath for doubles/triples and then swap to earthquake for singles. No biggie.

This really doesn't alter how I use Zygarde actually.

I did find a great team up for singles and/or doubles via Espeon. Espeon can throw down screens and be prepared to bounce back statuses, then swap to Zygarde who then Dragon Dances (With a lum berry, leftovers works but Lum Berry compensates for burns), I usually get off two Dragon Dances because both screens provide this beast with ALOT of extra bulk, I then proceed to sweep with Outrage, Extreme Speed, Earthquake.

lol, just lol

So does anyone feel like a future event will give this badass Marvel Scale? Something about the what he works would make sense. Hell, it would make Zygarde's defensive options far better. Shed Skin as well (Seeing as how he is a serpent I looked into things that would "fit".

I hope those don't bump him to Ubers level, I love using Zygarde in OU.

Yeah, Marvel Scale and Shed Skin would both fit Zygarde perfectly, and would both be really nice for him, allowing him to finally have some form of decent reliable recovery in Rest. It wouldn't bump him to Ubers by any stretch of the imagination though, it would just give him a workable ability that isn't entirely useless like his current one is. I'm not sure if he will get another ability or not though, I certainly hope GF doesn't abandon him.

OT: Tried running Glare on Zygarde since it seemed really good on paper, but I found it surprisingly rare to find a good opportunity to use it, anyone else actually used it successfully? Seems like it has potential on Bulky Offense to tank hits then spread paralysis to help mitigate one of the main issues BO has against HO, which is being constantly outsped.

Glare works alright on a bulky Leftovers set with Substitute and Dragon Tail for protected paralysis shuffling. You'll have an easier time using Glare if you prompt a switch to set up a Substitute. Coil adds bulk and makes Dragon Tail hurt more but it's kind of poor for a single move. Really want rocks and Spikes in this instance. Can be kind of worthless in certain situations though. Earthquake is second STAB but does little with unboosted attack. Sub/Glare with Coil and Stone Edge forgoes STAB but Rock has no immunities and becomes dangerous with better accuracy and the crit rate.

I know this is just theorymoning, but I think zygarde is going to have what I call the "kyurem effect", where a bad, or merely usable Pokemon gets a buff next game or next Gen that completely breaks the 'mon or just makes it really good. For example, salamance in Gen 3 was very good, but lacked usable physical STAB, but in Gen 4 where outrage/dragon claw became physical, it completely broke salamance.
the same could be said for giratina in diamond/pearl, where it was a "meh" uber with solid defenses but barely usable attack and often turned into setup bait for other stuff who didn't care about burns. Then came platinum where giratina became an extremely good bulky monster of an attacker.

my reasoning for this is the fact that one of its pokedex entries states: when the environment of the kalos region is threatened, this Pokemon reveals its true power. As well as the fact that out of the new moves this Gen one of the only unknown moves is located between land's wrath and diamond storm, diances signature move with the last two being event moves for other things

All right, I am kinda tired of hearing "next game" theories. Its safe to say that it'll get some change that'll make it hopefully on par with its legendary buddies, but for OU discussion, there's no reason to talk about it. If it gets another form or mega or something, great! But there's no guarentee it won't go straight to ubers (I'd be disappointed if it didn't). The only next game changes we can expect is access to tutor moves like iron tail.

I love discussing this monster's uses. He has an interesting style about him that makes him fun to use and discuss, but is there any point to taking about "possible" changes?

Yeah, good point. I just wanted a semi -personal rant about the people who say:"zygarde is a useless Pokemon that is completely outclassed by every other OU 'mon to ever exist. RU mon" I mean geez. But back on topic, zygarde's great physical bulk means it can take any physical dragon and usually win with a coil, even wallbreaking mega chomp who can't OHKO without a boosted dragon clae

Have any of you noticed Zygarde gets the benefit of Camouflage? turn it into a normal type mon (as grassy, misty, and electric terrain are rather rare, even more so on pokemon that can outspeed zygarde), and coil up for powerful STAB Extremespeed. Earthquake provides excellent coverage for things that resist normal type, barring the occasional ghost type with ground immunity. Personally, i use this on the battle spot in x/y to great effect, and item i put on it in order depending on if the items are already in use. EVs are spread a little bit strangely, but it helps him out a bit, outspeeding anything with same/lower base speed with a little boost, and sp def to cover his inferior sp def. HP and atk are almost required for survivability. In all, my only complaint is the 2 its ability covers have little worry as Xerneas can Power Herb Geomancy, and Yveltal can stall with Big Root Oblivion Wing (rather effective strategy btw). Anyway, here's my set:

Zygarde @ Leftovers/Lum Berry/Earth Plate
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 220 Atk / 212 HP / 60 SDef / 16 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Extreme Speed
- Camouflage
- Earthquake

yes someone did mention a camo set, but camo means you are passing up other moves that would give a better benefit like substitute as well as coverage. Basically, you are walled by gengar

Anyone got a good idea for a SubCoil set for this guy? I've heard talk about it doing really well in UU but I'm not sure of what nature/EV spread I should use for it (as well as my attacking moves)

my subcoil set:
zygarde Leftovers
adamant
252HP /252sp. def OR 252atk/4def
coil/dragon dance
stone edge
earthquake/extremespeed
substitute

this works pretty well. Hp Evs are a must but you can go more offensive or more defensive.
i oprefer adamant no matter the EVs because the up-front power is pretty important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)