CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 2 (Primary Typing Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Pure Utility Pokemon
Description: There is a serious lack of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind and Haze Pokemon in our lovely Metagame. I don't know what type, what stat distribution or even what kind of Pokemon would effectively use all those, but I want to build a utility Pokemon for the useful yet less used utility moves. If I had to narrow the field a bit, I would emphasize Tailwind, Gravity, non Dark weak Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore. The normal utility moves like Reflect and Light Screen go without saying.

"Pure Utility Pokemon" won the previous poll by a country mile, so it's now time to determine what type our support Pokemon should be. Keep in mind key resistances and weaks of every type, as I realise that almost anything could be viable.

Bold voting. You each have two votes. Vote number one is worth two points. Vote number two is worth one.
Around four to seven types will move on to the next poll.
Sunday said:
First Preference: Bug
Second Preference: Ice
<Reason for voting>

Keep in mind we are not voting for secondary typing. This is for primary typing only

Note to mods:
As Smogon does not have it's own complete type chart I have used a random one from google and linked to Smogons page above. I hope this is an acceptable compromise.

battlechart.png

Fighting for first since we lack a true utility fighting type the closest ones are Hariyama and hitmontop but they are still better at sweeping or tanking than real utility.

Dragon for second because i want to see a dragon type that isn't a sweeper.

1. Electric - neutrality will help keep this thing afloat. I know ground attacks are common, but if we pair it with a neutral type, then that can help a lot. Plus electric seems like it could be a supporter type, while having a stab attack that isn't horribly overwhelming like dragon or fighting attacks tend to be.

2. Poison - Now I was very hesitant here, because in my dreams, this poke is both of the types I selected. But, Electric Poison offers some decent resists in bug, fighting and grass, and only compounds electrics one weakness. Further, although poison isn't a good OU attacking type, it's a decent OU defensive type, because psychic attacks just aren't that common, and ground attacks are pretty predictable. Neutrality and defenses are what's in order here, so I chose two really neutral types that can easily be made defensive.

Poison - Solid defensive type that absorbs toxic spikes for added utility.

Steel - Decent typing with many resistances. Weak to many common types, though.

Poison It has three great resistances, plenty of fellow poisons to give it utility moves, absorbs Toxic Spikes, and is nuetral to most standard Ghost attacks. Unless Gengar/Mismagius start carrying Psychic, chances are this can be used to great effect.

If we're using this as a pure utility, it probably isn't going to have a lot of room for attacks. Poison may not be a great offensive STAB, but less face it, this will be a support pokemon and being able to switch into Megahorn and Close Combat with impunity are big ++.

Electric Electric utility? Avoid the obvious joke, but the fact is that Electric has one weakness: Ground. In the case of a Rapid Spinner, Dusknoir almost never packs EQ and Gengar never carries HP Ground. It doesn't have the greatest set of resistances, but at least it won't be dominated by flyers like every other CAP >_>. Discharge is a solid move for a utility and also electric-exclusive.

As a side note: how many fighting types do we need? We already have Hariyama ffs, and the type itself is ridiculously unbalanced.

Poison: As Urza said Poison has only two weakness, Psychic aren't very commont moves and Ground moves are easy predictable. Furthermore being Poison type it will take away Toxic spikes only by switching in the field.

Dark: Dark has only two weakness too and is inmune to Psychic. Combining this with Poison, Bug and Fighting moves will do neutral damage and will be only weak to Ground moves.

I think these are two good options, both types could be good by itself and combining them is a very nice result, I guess.

Well we've done Ice / Bug, Ghost / Fighting, and Fire / Grass so far, and while I don't think we should limit our selves to only the types just because of that, I would like to see something new.

While I do like AJC's suggestion about having a support Dragon, I have to take the fanboy card on this one and say that I'd personally like to keep our potential CaP Dragon as offensive :P

My primary type choice is going to have to be electric; one weakness and the potential to make a "different" electric pokemon just sounds cool

my secondary typing is based assuming both that it might be the primary typing's secondary type or its own primary type: flying. A mono Flying Pokemon would have the unique factor, and the fact that it gains access to Roost (more survivability for our Utility guy?) and has a useful Ground immunity and fighting resist.

Poison - someithing not weak to ghost/fighting that can take care of utility quite well. this would be best used with a levitate ability or with /flying to help cover that ground weakness.

dragon - for some reason i really want a dragon tpe that can just sit there and use moves other than outrage!

Dark
Two reasons for this: one, the STAB helps it deal with the SR-blocking Ghosts not named Revenankh, especially after coupling it with a type that lends it neutrality/immunity to Fighting.
Two, it makes more sense from an artistic point of view --- GameFreak tends to make Pokemon with a crazy amount of options something really "far-out," like Gengar and Clefable. So types like Dark, Psychic, Ghost, etc. just make more sense to me and Dark is my favourite out of those.

Poison
Resists Fighting, neutral to Ghost, absorbs TS. Count me in.
Second reason is again the same, makes more sense artistically, yadda yadda. Just not as much as Dark.

There are just so many types that could work here and almost anything really is fine with me. (:

NOTE TO SUNDAY: I edited my second vote!

My first choice is most defiantly Electric, its a great type that is often overlooked. Nice STAB, only one weakness, resists Flying (every other CaP is weak to it) it has only ever been combined with 4 types (Flying, Water, Steel, Ghost) so we will almost certainly make a new and interesting type combo ect..

Second..... Hard to pick, Poison, Dragon and Flying are all kinda interesting, I think I will go with.... Flying

Electric - There is a signifigantly lower amount of Electric types in the standard OU metagame. With only one weakness(to a type that is easily countered by the multiple flyers/levitaters), it is a great type to have for a defensive/set up pokemon.
Poison - Only two weaknesses is a good start with any defensive pokemon, and the fact that it can absorb toxic spikes(which I had completely forgotten) is a really big + for a utility pokemon.

I was originally going to say flying(mono flying type + Roost = Win) as my second choice, but honestly, something weak to Stealth Rock, one of the most common moves in the game (seriously, nearly all teams have at least one SR user) is not something that would want to come in and heal status or set up for the team repeatedly.

Poison: My primary type choice because it absorbs Toxic Spikes and is not weak to Dark.

Dragon: I agree with Mystica. I want to see a dragon that uses support moves.

Electric: I'd have to vote for this as well. One weakness to ground is great, but ground sadly is a common attacking type like with Garchomp's Earthquake and stuff.

I would've voted Water possibly for my 2nd choice, but I wouldn't want another bulky water when there already are Vaporeon,Tentacruel and Milotic.

So I'll go for Dragon,
2 weaknesses, good offensive type, if it has much offensive power at all, and only having it's main STAB resisted by Steel.

Poison due to its ability to absorb Toxic Spikes and its interesting resistances.

Steel due to its many resists which would probably be helpful, as well as leaving the canvas open since almost anything can have an aspect of Steel in it and fit another typing too.

I suppose this could end up becoming an upgraded Weezing since Weezing isn't too efficient this generation! If Weezing switches in under Gravity do Toxic Spikes get absorbed?

Dragon: A Dragon that doesn't have ten billion attack would be nice. It's a great defensive type, with only two weaknesses, so it could work as a decent defender.

Steel: As long as it isn't a tank, a steel supporter would be interesting. Seeing as every steel type seems to be basically defensive and defensive only, I think a steel type that could do something useful would be nice

Dragon
Only 2 weak to two types of Pokemon. STAB Dragon moves do really well and hit a lot neutral.

Steel
Heaps of resistances makes it a great type to have. Even though it makes it weak to Earthquake the resistances help make up for it.

Poison - nice defensive type and we need more poison Pokemon in general

Dragon
- another great defensive type (even better, actually), and it would be interesting to see a utility dragon type

Poison - One of the better defensive types out there, and the bad attacking type doesn't mean much when it's a Utility-based Pokemon.

Dragon - Dragon is one of the better offensive moves (resisted only by steel) and is also a great defensive type, not to mention we need a defensive Dragon.

Poison - As stated by previous posters, Poison's a great defensive type. Also, Poison Pokemon are not a very common sight in OU.

Dragon - Dragon's also a good defensive type. Also, a utility Dragon sounds pretty interesting, since pretty much all Dragon-types are offensively oriented.

First Preference: Poison
Second Preference: Electric

I've been wanting a new Poison Pokemon for some time, and I think this is the best opportunity, as a utility Pokemon can easily be Poison-type. Electric is my second preference because... well, I can't say for now.

(As an aside, the type chart has a slight mistake; Electric types are weak to Ground, and the chart doesn't specify this.)

First preference:Electric

Second Preference: Poison

Electric has only one weakness, and the amount of decent electrics we have around isn't that high. Magnezone, Electivire, Zapdos, and Jolteon is all I can name off the top of my head. Not only would a decent electric type be interesting, it'd be one that isn't a sweeper, which we seem to have precious few of.

Everyone else pretty much nailed the reasons for Poison.

Electric- Just a good defensive typing that doesn't get enough action in my opinion

Steel- Fits my idea for the pokemon and is a good defensive type. Something would need to be done about earthquake for both though.

Poison: Poison's a generally useful type altogether, with the immunity to Toxic, as well as being neutral as hell.

Normal: Normal typing is even more neutral, with only Fighting as a weakness, which would pretty much be the norm as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back