Standards for Grammar / Spelling, What a Good Writer Looks out for

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, to be perfectly honest, we don't know what they'll be called in English yet, as far as I know, until Nintendo releases some sort of official information on them.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. However, "forms" is still an appropriate term, as it is simply a generic noun for describing what they are. I agree with Misaki's reasoning that it just looks stupid and unprofessional.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Who are we to say it looks stupid and unprofessional though? Surely "Feraligatr" looks stupid and it's a well known fact that it's only spelt like that as opposed to Feralligator because names are limited to 10 letters and Nintendo had to improvise but that doesn't give us the right to start spelling it however we please.

I don't even think there's an argument to be had here. If Nintendo spells it with an e, then so should we.

Who are we to say it looks stupid and unprofessional though? Surely "Feraligatr" looks stupid and it's a well known fact that it's only spelt like that as opposed to Feralligator because names are limited to 10 letters and Nintendo had to improvise but that doesn't give us the right to start spelling it however we please.

I don't even think there's an argument to be had here. If Nintendo spells it with an e, then so should we.
I agree. It would be unproffesional for Smogon to be so nitpicky and accurate on detail, and then turn around and not include something as simple as the letter "e" on the end of a word.

Like Syberia said, forms is still an acceptable term for it if we use it generically. Feraligatr is a proper noun.

[Wow, had no idea this would generate so much discussion]

I think the pokemon.com pokedex is reason enough to use formes over form.

When referring to nature, the convention is "Adamant nature" and not "Adamant Nature".

To clarify: I tend to use OHKOes as the verb form ("Salamence OHKOes Alakazam") and OHKOs like a noun ("Salamence scores many OHKOs").

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is a small thing but we mine as well be consistent, in analysis when talking about resistances if we are attempting to convey a 4x resistance do we use "x4" or "4x". I generally prefer "4x".

yeah i dunno how relevant it is but in my nintendo pokedex thingy even firered deoxys is referred to as "attack forme"

it's really silly but i say we just go with it =\

#x looks right to me, too.

new topic:

DPP or DPPt?

Personally, I don't mind either, but we should at least keep it consistent. (fyi - Serebii has it listed on their site as DPPt.)

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
#x looks right to me, too.

new topic:

DPP or DPPt?

Personally, I don't mind either, but we should at least keep it consistent. (fyi - Serebii has it listed on their site as DPPt.)
I kinda prefer DPP to keep in line with the three letter theme (RBY , GSC, RSE); but maybe we should be consistent with other sites? I suppose it doesn't matter.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I like DPPt honestly because DPP makes me think we have Pearl listed twice or something. But DPP is fine I guess.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are 'roles' capitalised? Is it a "Sweeper" or a "sweeper", a "Special Wall" or a "special wall"? A "Phazer" or a "phazer"?
Also, "Entry Hazards" or "entry hazards"?

I personally try not to use that abbreviation in my analyses. Regardless, I think the third is the best of those (RestTalk).

Regarding any Pokemon who ends with an 's': Do we use an apostrophe then another 's' or just an apostrophe? Or can we use either with stipulations? Ex: Latias's would be referring to the Latias that is in question while Latias' would be for all Latias.

Regarding any Pokemon who ends with an 's': Do we use an apostrophe then another 's' or just an apostrophe? Or can we use either with stipulations? Ex: Latias's would be referring to the Latias that is in question while Latias' would be for all Latias.
I believe if the Pokémon ends with "s" it's fine to use either; otherwise stick to "'s". At least, that's the way I've always done it.

eg. Latias would be either Latias' or Latias's.
Groudon would be Groudon's.

I asked English major Jumpman about this a couple months ago. He told me that for words that end with s, you can use ' or 's for singular nouns (Latias' or Latias's, princess' or princess's). The ' ending is only necessary when plural (Latias', princesses').

Is it SuperPower, or Superpower? I don't have a game so I can't check, but I'm fairly sure it's Superpower since that's what I keep getting on the internet.

EDIT: Okay, it's Superpower. Might want to add that because I saw some misspelling it. thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)