3. Heaven Shall Burn
4. Machine Head
5. Metallica

The Beatles
Metallica
Slayer
The Clash
Black Sabbath

In no real order. I know it's a pretty generic list, but they all deserve to be there.

1. The Smiths
2. deadman
3. The Cure
4. The Faint
5. Fair to Midland

Now I understand why people say that my musical tastes are gay...

1. blink-182
2. Screeching Weasel
3. Black Flag
4. The Ramones
5. Iron Maiden/Descendents

All punk except Iron Maiden.

I can only think of three "favorites"

Of Montreal
Arcade Fire
Radiohead

Also enjoy music from:

LCD Soundsystem
Franz Ferdinand
The Shins
Interpol
Death Cab for Cutie (Postal Service more though)
A little bit of Daft Punk :p

Roy

streetpkmn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
1. Radiohead

Honestly, some of their stuff is the absolute epitome of perfection. OK Computer, In Rainbows, The Bends...all of it is absolutely amazing and give me feelings I honestly thought didn't exist. There's no way these giants will ever be surpassed.

2. Porcupine Tree

In Absentia is my third favorite album of all time (after OK Computer and In the Aeroplane over the Sea), while Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet are incredible.

3. Neutral Milk Hotel

In the Aeroplane over the Sea (both the song and album) alone warrant this band such a high placing.

4. Dream Theater

The gateway band. Before Dream Theater, I didn't have a musical taste. Though some of their stuff now pales in comparison to other bands, I still appreciate the nostalgic value in a lot of their shit.

Pink Floyd

Animals is pretty fucking ridiculous. And every time I listen to The Wall a listen, I find another song I like.

Loki

like seashells
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Championwon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournament
hmm dunno how i missed this

pixies
radiohead
led zeppelin
wu-tang clan (im gonna cheat and count their solo releases too...)
the doors

#1 Belle and Sebastian
#2 The Who

Rest in no particular order:
Matthew Good Band
The Strokes
(Neil Young but hes not a band)
Iggy Pop and the Stooges (Cheating and using this encompass his non Stooges work as well)

Let me see...

1. DragonForce
2. DragonForce
3. Beatles
4. Jimmy Eat World
5. DragonForce

Metallica is at the bottom of this list :P

Gouki

nice times all the times
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Past SPL Champion
alltime list looks something like this

The Dismemberment Plan
Pixies
Galaxie 500
Wu-Tang Clan
Elliott Smith

no order really

According to my Last.fm:

1. Beborn Beton
2. Neuroticfish
3. VNV Nation
4. Melotron
5. Seabound

I'd say that that's correct, only I'd put VNV Nation in slot 1.

Sweet, Glalie already mentioned Matthew Good!

1. Matthew Good (Great solo but theres the "Matthew Good Band" to be specific)
2. Incubus
3. The Wallflowers
4. The Tragically Hip (obviously I'm Canadian)
5. Foo Fighters

Glalie, kholdstaire, and KyutheMC also get props for great musical taste.
I also apologize to The White Stripes, Interpol, Beck, and Sam Roberts for getting left out.

pookar

Banned deucer.
Im going to vaguely agree with CK here, because ive only read up to page 3. I cant say i dont hate some music genres. mr gigapunch's "hi we're metal but also indie" post-rock. he's shown me songs that just... its not music at all. its aubnch of people playing out of sync. to bash the cliche classic rock lists isn't fair because some people truly dont explore music as much as they should, however the lists with "disturbed" and ... well you know where im going I guess. Now for my oversimplified list of bands that have already been listed, a bunch.

1. Dream Theater - Hands down my favorite band, and i guess it's the diversity in their songs. I'd like to thank the community here for introducing me to them because i would probably be stuck in "led zeppelin rulz" mode right now. I like LaBrie's vocals and the rest of the band are really just wizards at their instruments. I wish Myung wrote more and Petrucci wrote a bit less but their playing is fantastic.

a warning to 2-5+ , its a bit moody just like everyone elses. no2 is solid but the rest are iffy.

2. Opeth - Another band introduced to me by this community. Who would have guessed. I've never really liked death metal much at all and until a few months ago, i only had their most recent release Watershed (I think damnation as well... anyway) and a couple singles off other albums. Never really gave them a chance because of the vocals, but one day it just happened. Akerfeldt is one of the best metal songwriters out there, and dont forget the progressive part either. His versatility is another common likeness to DT.

3. Porcupine Tree - You know i actually almost forgot about them while making this list. But Steven Wilson is one of the best songwriters for "whatever" this genre is called. Prog Metal, Prog, Alternative, whatever. His song content is pretty unmatched and he reminds me of thom yorke with a bit less moaning (a lot less).

4. Iced Earth - While only having Alive in Athens and a few singles, they write some pretty good songs and although not as diverse as opeth or DT, have a sort of quality that they can be compared with vintage metallica. They have the shredding power chord sections as well as the ballad-y parts as well. Dante's Inferno, Pure Evil, watching over me.

5. Rush - I really want to put them lower because of my infrequency of listening but they are too good to be put lower. Definitely the most talented power trio ever, geddy lee is better at vocals and bass than most separate players.

now that first rush sentence seems a bit silly but oi will leave it. I guess you could flip flop rush and IE . I dont want to get CK mad, but id like to include a "other bands" list. Blind Guardian, Queensryche, LTE, King Crimson.

In no particular order...

Metric, TV on the Radio, Broken Social Scene, Crystal Castles, aandd Minus the Bear.

If this is 'top 5 artists' instead of just bands, I'd probably fit Lady Gaga and MIA somewhere in there. ~_~
I figure I'd explain my reasoning for liking these bands:

Metric
Pretty much one of the first bands I got into (I was pretty gangst-er back then) and pretty much the only band from my middle school days I still listen to. It all started with Monster Hospital, and I quickly collected all their albums released at the time. Emily Haines vocals are wonderful (I just like female vocals most of the time) and their songs can vary in 'emotional tone' (Look I made up a term kinda) which I really like, because they really are a band to listen to whenever, and wherever and however you feel.

TV on the Radio
I don't know how to describe this band, or why I like them. Something about your music clicks with me and that's about that. Lately I feel like we've parted a bit as I don't listen to them as much anymore... But they were one of the bands I redefined what music I liked with (4th musical transition I'd say?).

I'll do the rest later. But I realized that 3/5 of these bands I found out about here on Smogon! :heart:

I don't listen to much music, and naming an all-time top 5 is near impossible! So I'm just naming 5 of my favorites:

Pearl Jam
Avenged Sevenfold
Metallica
Dashboard Confessional
The Living End

Pookar: I heard "Pull me Under" by Dream Theater thanks to Guitar Hero World Tour, and it now one of my all time favorite songs! Since you're a big fan of theirs, what album would you recommend me listening to first?

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
as i don't have a static top 5 list at the moment, i'll list five bands/artists that i've been jiving to moreso than others as of late.

1) Porcupine Tree
2) Cake
3) Bob Marley & The Wailers
4) Beck
5) Radiohead

bands/artists who'll possibly edge their way in on the list in time:

Pink Floyd, RJD2, Andrew Bird, Muse, Blackfield, Arcade Fire and uhh, Gorillaz, i guess

semi bump because ive been wanting to make a post itt for a while but enver did so

i only really started exploring music properly maybe six months ago? but its been a hugely important part of my life since then, ive discovered some really amazing bands i would never have even considered before, having come from linkin park and disturbed aged 14

i guess my musical taste has changed alot since then x)

1.) Neutral Milk Hotel

maybe its presumptious of me to do this seeing as i first heard in the aeroplane over the sea only a couple of weeks ago, but oh my god, its such a beautiful album and it mvoes me more than any music i ever have and maybe ever will listen to that it would be such an injustice to put them anywhere else.

tracks like king of carrot flowers part 1, communist daughter, and two headed boy have such a profound effect on me i really cant describe it

two headed boy
put on your sunday shoes
and dance round the room to accordian keys
with the neeeeedle that sings in your heart
catching signals that sound in the dark

lyrically, instrumentally, this album is just in a whole other league to the rest of the list imo, but regardless:

2.) Bright Eyes

ok maybe i was wrong about lyrically, because although conor obersts acoustic stylings dont hit me in the same way in the aerolane over the sea does, lyrically, hes pretty close. the simple guitar really just provides a bed for the beautiful and thought provoking lyrics he sings. the perfect example of this is lua, featuring one lonesome man and his guitar singing some of the most beautiful lyrics ive ever heard:

i know you have a heavy heart,
i can feel it when we kiss
so many men stronger than me
have thrown their backs out
trying to lift it

away from im wide awake its morning, theres also the fantastic music dabbling in other genres that hes written, which i adore as well. four winds and hot knives are stellar songs, and digital ash in a digital urn is great in a different way

3.) Why?

GTS summed up exactly why this band is so great already, using abstract lyrics that focus on imagery rather than making sense to create something that was completely new to me when i first heard it

though im not a big fan of their hip hoppy albums, alopecia and elephant eyelash are fanatstic, highlights being crushed bones, simeons dilemma, these few presidents (the lyrics at the start of this song are the perfect example of imagery over coherency), and gemini (birthday song), probably my favourite track by them. darla on the early whitney EP is also fantastic

4.) Gaslight Anthem

chords that send shivers up my spine, and punky lyrics about late night ventures and nostalgic old times: i love this band.
seriously, when the 59 sound at high volume kicks into the chorus it genuinely makes my whole body tingle, then go to my head which starts to feel kinda numb (in a good way)
sadly i find that alot of their tracks are bogstandard punk tracks featuring similar chords, and i often skop alot of songs ;(
however, the songs that dont fall into this category are unbelievable, my favourite being:
i coulda been a contender (THERES A DIRTY WIND BLOOOWIIIIIIN), i'd'a called you woody joe, great expectations, and the 59 sound

5 is a toss up between a few artists and i really cant decide on one

radiohead was the band that introduced me to new ideas and music outside my comfort zone

arcade fire were my gateway band into all the music i listen to now, and i still love them

the national have accumulated the most plays in itunes and last.fm simply for the huge range of fantastic, poppy enough tracks that eased me in to music like bright eyes and neutral milk hotel. matt berningers voice is amazing!

No order:

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
Bullet for my Valentine
Disturbed
Angels and Airwaves

There is a pretty short list of bands that I can actually sit down and listen to an entire album and enjoy every song. But those above make it happen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)