Top Five Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am definitely willing to say that I will never get bored of a lot of the music I listen to. For example Radiohead - The Tourist off the top of my head. I am sure if it was played during my future Clockwork Orange style therapy then ok I could start disliking it, but I am pretty confident that isnt going to happen.

It's like when you tell your girlfriend that you will always be true. Even when you mean it you dont actually know it for certain, and she knows that you dont actually know it for certain. But that doesnt stop you saying it..

Have a nice day.
Yea the tourist is a beautiful song, theres no way someone could ever get bored of that.

Rock-a-billy

LISTEN

Really the only defining feature of this seems to be emphasis on the upright bass and the singing seems to be pretty consistent and generic, but it's fucking fun to listen to the Horrorpops and the Creepshow. :D

DM you might enjoy some Vendetta Red. Look em up if you haven't, though Youtube is really scanty on their material from them and it certainly doesn't reflect their best.

Well

Why? - Yoni's songwriting skills and his awkward vocals make it feel very personal to me. I could go on for days with excerpts of lyrics, but...I won't.

The Thermals - I love their lo-fi punk style, it's very care-free and not too heavy as to develop an angry overtone, but enough to make me feel like "Fuck Yeah!". I love his simple and catchy chorus' and simple riffs.

Built To Spill - DM really covered why this band is great, but I really love the atmosphere they emit in every song. I could probably run their albums for a full 24 hours and still love every second of it. Modest Mouse is a major competitor for this spot.

Pixies/The Smiths - I grouped these two because I like them in a very similar way. They both have a powerful aspect to their songs that makes me want to listen again. Doolittle was a very powerful experience for me, and most of the Smiths songs can totally change my emotion from one to another.

Sew Intricate/Los Campesinos! - Another similar section. They both have a poppy techno style that keeps my head boppin' to the beat. While these two are very different, I connect with them in a similar way.

It's really hard to squeeze what I like into this list, but there's a very "Now" list. Within 3 months, half of it may change. I'd wager to say that the first two will remain for years to come.

Rock-a-billy

LISTEN

Really the only defining feature of this seems to be emphasis on the upright bass and the singing seems to be pretty consistent and generic, but it's fucking fun to listen to the Horrorpops and the Creepshow. :D

DM you might enjoy some Vendetta Red. Look em up if you haven't, though Youtube is really scanty on their material from them and it certainly doesn't reflect their best.
morm likes rockabilly?! sweet!

definitely listen to oldschool psychobilly. the cramps, the meteors, demented are go!, definitely a recipe for good times.

Glen you are now officially cool (yes, I'll stereotype you based on music quite comfortably :D)

I really don't like oldschool psychobilly though; it seems I'm notoriously frustrating to pin down to certain styles, my ex used to get really mad when I would love one band and hate another that sounded just like the first one. I did look up those bands, I definately see where the 'pops and the creepshow got their influences from.

Ritsi Time, I do not really do best of albums. I find that they usually are mostly music with pop appeal or what is 'supposed' to be best, not what I actually like. For instance, Queen's most progressive songs would not make it onto a best of album (even with the three Greatest Hits that came out!)

Sylvia was cute for what it was aiming for, that kind of classical, peppy feel; I am merely a bigot who does not like music that slow, unfortunately.

How would anyone NOT like rockabilly. (Disclaimer: The only rockabilly I have probably listened to are the Stray Cats...)

That Creepshow - The Garden video was a terrible choice. How are we supposed to listen to music with a mouth like that distracting us (interspersed with randomly fat bassy dude undistracting us and letting us hear some bass).

Through random youtubing, I ended up on The Reverend Horton Heat and liked that sound quite a bit (Psychobilly Freakout, some live song of him in the late 80s/early 90s!)

Incredibly randomly, Glen, this is one of those times where I see/hear something I have never heard of before mentioned multiple times in mere minutes; today's woot shirt

"Step It Up, Utah

I think that was a Cramps song!

You’ll either get that joke right away or you won’t ever understand without help, so let’s just move on."

1) Van Halen
2) Motley Crue
3) Scorpions
4) Iron Maiden
5) Tesla

While I'm here why not add my favourite 5 guitarists?

1) Eddie Van Halen
2) Randy Rhoads
3) Stevie Ray Vaughn
4) George Lynch
5) David Gilmour

too bad Flight of the Conchords couldn't fit

I love Smogon's taste in music

No particular order

-Arcade Fire: really gay for them after picking up Funeral sometime in 2006 until their Neon Bible tour ended in 2008 (saw them 3 times). Funeral was really important to me in that it pulled me far away from my metal/punk phase of middle school/early high school. Led to a huge interest in "indie" music, which led me to my tastes today. Overall just amazing.

-Dead Kennedys: the only hardcore punk band that stood strong in my mind after I stopped listening to punk much. Everything about them was excellent, but it was Jello Biafra the singer, the snotty strange sounding crazed motherfucker who spat in the face of everything establishment and government and blah blah blah. One of the truly eye opening punk bands of the 80's.

-Radiohead: Smogon's love for Thom Yorke makes me smile.

-Kraftwerk: all your beep beep boop beep sounding shit came from some Germans in the late 60's. This electronica group comprised of 4 guys rooted behind laptops, standing roboticly with no emotion and hardly any movement, holds a special place in the history of music. They say so much in so little words, usually social commentary about nuclear bombs and the future, technology, and songs about the Tour De France. I was so honored to get the chance to see this legendary group last year.

-Led Zeppelin: influenced so many bands, excellent musicians, Robert Plant was (still is?) damn sexy, John Paul Jones influenced my bass playing a lot, they wrote fucking Dazed and Confused, too much to say.

Fuck five bands, I just left out so many. Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Portishead, !!!, Arctic Monkeys, Daft Punk, Rage Against the Machine................

norulz

excellent
Converge
of Montreal
Bauhaus
Suicide
Death from above 1979

this week's, in no particular order also

this week i am enamored of

Radiohead ◕‿‿‿◕
Cymbals Eat Guitars
Ribbons
Crystal Antlers
The Antlers (thanks Gouki)

maybe i should write a little bit about these bands (minus radiohead because if you don't know by now...)

cymbals eat guitarswhy there are mountains: "the return of indie rock". delicate/intense. dynamic, loud & noisy (screamo-y?) at times and tender (shoegazey?) the next second but always, always earnest. this is a trip album, as in road trip; the frequent, sudden shifts from low2high and back makes me think of driving a car on a road oppressed by trees but suddenly the song/band/etc. explodes and the trees open up, you're on the coast in the sun and can see for miles. great album, this stupid blurb doesn't do it much justice. listen to "cold spring" "wind phoenix" "indiana"

ribbons
royals: too rich for just one instrumentalist but believe it, this is all jherek bischoff (member/exmember of xiu xiu, parenthetical girls et al). compared to radiohead i suppose because of incorporation of electronics, namely digital beats along with the orchestral and of course some talented guitar work. there are some pretty tracks on here but i'm starting to realize that the album starts to sound pretty uniform after a while, could be the guys voice but oh well. check out "all of us" (the electronics in here remind me of the gloaming by radiohead) "children's song"

crystal antlerstentacles: noise pop if you want to pigeonhole it. slightly obnoxious synth, slightly atonal overdistorted guitar (good riffs regardless), fuzzy indiscriminate vocals but all in all pretty catchy. lively drums too. it's hard to differentiate this stuff from EVERYTHING ELSE that's coming out of this whole noisy music trend but i enjoyed this album. listen to "tentacles", maybe "until the sun dies part 1" and "mesmorized"

the antlershospice: real pretty slowcore, i don't know. listen to "bear" i'm getting tired

uhg. to much bland hardcore bands on here. in relation to the unicorn talk on the first page, i just want to say that the unicorns are awesome. yes they were short lived, but they were incredible original and their songs are hilarious. anyway, heres my 5:

operation ivy
rancid
the misfits
green day
catch 22

1. The Dismemberment Plan
2. Radiohead
3. The Beatles

Five? As many as that? Maybe Neutral Milk Hotel and Fleet Foxes, but their limited discography kind of discourages me from putting them on the list.

No particular order top 4-

The Fall of Troy- Wild. Really really wild. If you really want to listen to something that sounds like nothing else, they're good for it. I can't put into words how much I love this band. [Experimental/Rock/Screaming]

Portugal. The man- They've got real soul. Each of their cds have different feels to them but they retain the same sound. Really, they can relax you so easily. [Rock]

Between The Buried and Me- LOUD. The drums took me a bit to get used too simply because he uses too much percussion sometimes but I now need it when I listen to them. You can seriously tell they know what they're doing if you listen to them any. [Progress/Metal]

Circa Survive- They're just good, kay?

In no particular order...

Metric, TV on the Radio, Broken Social Scene, Crystal Castles, aandd Minus the Bear.

If this is 'top 5 artists' instead of just bands, I'd probably fit Lady Gaga and MIA somewhere in there. ~_~

The Mars Volta
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Boards of Canada
Maudlin of the Well
Modest Mouse

Been a bit like this for a while now.

Alright current ones are:

Cursive (thanks to whoever posted them, I probably never would've discovered them otherwise)
Youngblood Brass Band (whose hip-hop songs are the only ones of the genre I will listen to)
The Pillows (making most of the BGM for FLCL is more than enough reason to warrant many, many sexual favors)
Freezepop ('cause they're fun :D)
LAST ALLIANCE (becuase their guitars is sexy)

The first two I only just discovered last month, but I'm glad I did. :B

EDIT: That one repeating line from "A Gentleman Caller" and "Staying Alive" is inexorably stuck in my head. BUT I DON'T REALLY MIND. That's how awesome Cursive is. :U

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
man foreys everyone knows the return of indie rock in 09 is heralded by Japandroids. Though Cymbals Eat Guitars are pretty rad too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)