Top Five Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
that ones good, but personally i prefer Two Hunters.

but it's only the difference between 4.5/5 and 5/5, they're both excellent.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's ok, I'm not the world's biggest BM fan anyway...though I recognise these guys are good. And at least they don't sound like Darkthrone (I hate that stuff...)

i hear you, i'm no BM lover either, i'm very very picky.

that's why i was so taken with these guys, because it's not the ridiculous, cheesy, annoying shit that most BM comes across as.

Altmer

Out of BM, there ARE a few bands that I like... Emperor (for the classic stuff), Wolves as mentioned, Agalloch, Mirrorthrone (not listened to Gangrene yet), there's one Burzum album I like, Dark Funeral for blasty shit (screw Marduk), that one old Ulver album where they were still BM, Enslaved (can you call this BM), Keep of Kalessin, Nachtmystium, and Summoning. That's pretty much all the BM I can think of that I have here and listen to, and most of that is one or two albums per band (except Agalloch, I have every full length Agalloch record.)

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
How is it not a specific statement? In this case, it certainly was - one user, Mormoopid, told Son of Disaster to lurk more. I am not saying this to condemn nor defend him, but it does take away one point of your evidence.
I should've known better than to engage with you at all, what with your blindly adversarial nature.

Out of BM, there ARE a few bands that I like... Emperor (for the classic stuff), Wolves as mentioned, Agalloch, Mirrorthrone (not listened to Gangrene yet), there's one Burzum album I like, Dark Funeral for blasty shit (screw Marduk), that one old Ulver album where they were still BM, Enslaved (can you call this BM), Keep of Kalessin, Nachtmystium, and Summoning. That's pretty much all the BM I can think of that I have here and listen to, and most of that is one or two albums per band (except Agalloch, I have every full length Agalloch record.)
for me it's Wolves, old Ulver (though i like most everything they've done), Mirrorthrone (i need pre-Gangrene material), Slechtvalk (though you'll probably dismiss them out of hand), Weakling...i think that's about the extent of it.

i'm not really in to the "blasty shit", it just gets old after a song or two.

there's some "Blackened Death" bands that i've enjoyed, but i don't listen to them often enough to really comment with any intelligence.

Altmer

The only reason I asked is because they could have been Flemish instead. Or they randomly happen to speak Dutch.

-Queen
-Queen
-Queen
-Queen
-Queen
There is no contest in my book. With Freddie's amazing vocal range, the Sexy Red Special, the complex songs, and Roger's drums you just can't go wrong. They covered so many different types of music, from Metal, to Operatic Rock, to Glam Rock, to Progressive Rock, to even British Music Hall. They also had quite possibly some of the best live preformances of all time. Not to mention all four of the members contributed in song writing. I especially like their early work, specifically Queen II. I highly suggest listening to it, if you haven't already.

As for the hypocrite label your insult would carry some weight if you actually spell checked it. Whoever brought up allusioned was mistaken. It is a word. I checked. Just like disallusioned. Come on. Symmantics made me giggle as well moor. I'm not claiming to be a great spell checker btw.
Not to get involved in this shitfest, but come on; if you are going to criticize someone for making a typo, you might want to check your own language usage first. "Disallusioned" is not a word (I assume you confused this with "disillusion", which leads me to wonder what link you think this has with "allusion"). "Allusion" is a word but not a verb. You cannot "allusion" something. Being a dick to everyone for no reason is a generally unwise move.

EDIT (see how I can use this!): What is "symmantics"?

Altmer

For altmer the lyrics are more than deep enough. I will post some if you don't believe me. Underoath has plenty of your messages to god. THere's inspiration and happy metal as it were there to. When i talk of emo metal i'm not saying cut my wrists and black my eyes. I'm talking of the emo crowds these metal bands attract.
Underoath has messages recorded on a voicemail aimed at God telling him he's a silly sod?

Just like protest fits in to this category.
They tour with shit bands. If anything, they are Dillinger meets Sym X.

If they can be likened to anyone i would choose the human abstract. Face it protest is mathcore as well but they play emo metal, tour with emo metal, and are friends with emo metal. as for being more hardcore punk i fail to see the connection. Every time i die, who i listed, is a southern metal band mainly influenced by Motorhead. Is motorhead not metal?
Barely. Hugely influential. I don't like Motorhead as it's just the same song over and over. And Everytime I Die aren't southern metal. Southern metal isn't a fucking genre because it has no sort of descriptive purpose. It means zilch. EID are metalcore (and they suck), end of. Plus, bands can have good influences and sound like absolute fucken shit (99% of power metal, here's to you!)

The way you talk about metal it's as if only the bands you approve of are metal. There are other branches of metal. SKy Eats Airplane is electronica Metal for instance. Wolves in the throne room is a metal i would liken to Genghis Tron. All good but somewhat different. Call me crazy but i can't wrap my head around the fact that metal that i dislike isn't metal. And i've seen plenty of metal gigs. So try not to lecture me either.
Genghis Tron doesn't sound like Wolves. At all. What the utter fuck. Electronica meets metal, that's fucking Pain, not some shit three word band like Sky Eats Airplane. That's metalcore meets electro (man, that sounds as gay as I think it is). Metalcore isn't moving forward. It was moving forward when Converge did it, and Botch did it. Now it's just a hundred bands ripping Converge off. With worse vocals. And worse riffs. Yippee, I'm so excited to hear something when I can put fucken Jane Doe on! (And Converge are barely metal. They're hardcore with leftover Slayer riffs, as they so eloquently put it). If you take it from a musical standpoint, and assess the riffs, metalcore is 99 chugga chugga riffs (palm muted), with screaming (a HARDCORE PUNK STYLE OF VOCALS, NOT A METAL STYLE, METAL WAS INFLUENCED BY PUNK IN THE 80S, HENCE THEY USE GROWLS TOO). There's no metal in there at all, except a bit of palm muting, and Linkin Park palm mute. Are they metal? Doubt it.

Face it protest is mathcore as well but they play emo metal, tour with emo metal, and are friends with emo metal.
Fail. Nothing is 'emo-by-association', if 'Bob' hangs out with emo kids he isn't necessarily emo. Their first album was way more hardcore punk than anything else but I'm not talking about them in the past. Fortress and Kezia and pretty much mathcore/metalcore, mostly heavy on mathcore.

But fuck this argument, let's just stop dudes for the sake of the thread, the forum and those involved.

Moving on, after hearing nothing but good things about Minus the Bear I just had to check 'em out. And wow, I was not dissappointed. Really cool stuff, right now I've probably got them in my top 10 'digging-right-now' list of new artists that I'm getting into, along with Cursive (who I also got inspired to listen to from this thead).

i'll start being more civil, i promise! especially because i like altmer more than i like ck.

Seriously Glen, you are being pedantic to the point of ridiculousness.

He also doesnt know what has fired him up in the past, or if there is anyone reading this conversation or if we are all internet bots posting random numbers and letters and making sense only by a spectacular coincidence..

Have a nice day.
i don't see how i'm the one being ridiculous here, really. ck is saying that, unlike every other person on the fucking planet, the music he listens to right now will NEVER get boring for him. it is eternally, permanently 'good music' and there is no chance he will ever stop liking it because doing so would be a sign of weakness or something lol. he has said that his musical taste has changed before, but that was just a one time thing of course! it will NEVER change again, as he has achieved this completely perfect level of existence.

Yes. If we're going to apply simplistic characteristics, I can call Shakira metal because there are distorted guitars. I've got to draw a line somewhere.
sorry but saying something as absurd as this and then accusing me of making a stupid comment is a bit much. i can understand your argument but saying stupid shit like this just detracts from it.

Glen, that is the stupidest comment you've ever made. Not *all* metal concerns runes. Yes, Amon Amarth make music about runes. But there's such a variety of metal.

And no, I'm angry at these kind of bands because every fucking scenester latches on to these new "metal" bands when they have no fucking idea who Carcass, Coroner, or any of these other lovely metal bands are that started the whole thing. Three word bands are everywhere, they all sound the same, they are all terrible and most of them are talentless, and they all regurgitate the same overdone crap. Semi growls with breakdowns, lame clean vocals, shit widdly widdly melodies that In Flames did better before them...it's just copycatting and I dislike that. That's not my image of metal, playing what everyone fucken else does and writing power chord riffs. Metal isn't -fucking- about that.

Have you ever listened to Pain of Salvation? Concept albums about nuclear waste and its effect on the environment? About the aftermath of war affecting people? About the deepest nature of religion? Those, too, are concepts found in metal. Sure, some bands use Viking posturing, and not all of them are good. I'm not saying the metal scene itself doesn't have its share of copycat and shit bands (it does). But for a scene (metalcore) that has almost nothing to do with metal and way more to owe to hardcore punk, to call that metal is a bridge too far for me. Sorry, Glenny boy, but no.
hey, guess what, just like not every metal band sings about runes, not every metalcore band is horrible scenester fodder with no redeeming qualities. a lot of it is, but let's be fair, a lot of everything is fucking horrible.

but what does that even have to do with anything? you're just angry because it's a fad. because it's a trend. it pisses me off to no end too, but i won't go as far as to say things like 'ITS NOT REAL METAL' just because the fan-base irritates me more than anything in the world. if someone walks up to me and goes 'hey man i heard you like indie rock are you a fan of the shins???', despite wanting to punch them, i wont say 'THATS NOT INDIE ROCK' just because i dont like it/its generic.

your point about 'real metal' having important concept albums about religion and whatever else would be more valid if you weren't defending the band that sings about the land of the runes. just like 'real metal' has some bands with topical and well thought-out lyricism, so does metalcore. you just need to sift through the bullshit, like you do with any genre of music.

you may as well be saying 'rap isnt real music its only about guns and bitches and money', and we all know what a great argument that is.

This is what happens when everyone gets 99% of their music from the internet.

I mean do you really think people argued this much about music [classification] 20 years ago?

30?? 40???

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I am definitely willing to say that I will never get bored of a lot of the music I listen to. For example Radiohead - The Tourist off the top of my head. I am sure if it was played during my future Clockwork Orange style therapy then ok I could start disliking it, but I am pretty confident that isnt going to happen.

It's like when you tell your girlfriend that you will always be true. Even when you mean it you dont actually know it for certain, and she knows that you dont actually know it for certain. But that doesnt stop you saying it..

Have a nice day.

Altmer

sorry but saying something as absurd as this and then accusing me of making a stupid comment is a bit much. i can understand your argument but saying stupid shit like this just detracts from it.
It is completely absurd. That is the point. I echo what DM said: most genre definitions become completely arbitrary at a certain point. To a certain extent, yes, you can classify, and for most metal bands there are overlapping characteristics. But just taking distortion as the central characteristic of metal, you're including bands that have nothing to do with metal at all. It'd allow you to classify Sonic Youth as metal. Or Shakira. I was taking it ad absurdum to prove that you either need specifics that work or you can't classify, as it becomes a big gigantic mess with too many disputes.

hey, guess what, just like not every metal band sings about runes, not every metalcore band is horrible scenester fodder with no redeeming qualities. a lot of it is, but let's be fair, a lot of everything is fucking horrible.
Yep. Guess what! The first few metalcore bands weren't too bad! I still don't think a band like Converge is "metal" exactly, but yeah.

but what does that even have to do with anything? you're just angry because it's a fad. because it's a trend. it pisses me off to no end too, but i won't go as far as to say things like 'ITS NOT REAL METAL' just because the fan-base irritates me more than anything in the world. if someone walks up to me and goes 'hey man i heard you like indie rock are you a fan of the shins???', despite wanting to punch them, i wont say 'THATS NOT INDIE ROCK' just because i dont like it/its generic.
It's not *musically* real metal. It's a complete derivation of hardcore punk.

your point about 'real metal' having important concept albums about religion and whatever else would be more valid if you weren't defending the band that sings about the land of the runes. just like 'real metal' has some bands with topical and well thought-out lyricism, so does metalcore. you just need to sift through the bullshit, like you do with any genre of music.
yes. unfortunately, i've found that most of the metalcore I listen to, is bullshit. i find very little of value in it that appeals to me; not to mention the style pisses me off thanks to much of the vocals annoying me to no end. i'm not saying people can't enjoy metalcore. just that when you look at it, it's a completely separate entity from the metal scene. then a lot of people latched onto it as it being the next best thing since sliced bread, and when something I find shitty gets overpopularised... you can see the consequence.

I would listen to metalcore would I find any enjoyment in that, but I don't. I'm sure there are three metalcore bands worth sifting through, but I'm not gonna take the time to do that because I find sifting through other genres I appreciate much more, and where the overall characteristics attract me a lot more at this point in time, much more worthwhile. Do you get it, glen? I'm not saying metalcore is all shit; there's good stuff out there; I just don't feel a need to search for it because I don't want to listen to the general overall sound of metalcore as I never liked it in the first place.

My point initially was that metalcore takes a lot of derivation from hardcore punk, and though some superficial musical characteristics denote metal influence, it doesn't make metalcore actually a metal genre. I still think metalcore belongs under punk as a subgenre. I know a lot of it is a grey area, but overall I think punk and not metal is the root of metalcore. I think the same goes for a lot of grind, though the metal influence is more obvious if we're talking about Carcass than say Anal Cunt.

you may as well be saying 'rap isnt real music its only about guns and bitches and money', and we all know what a great argument that is.
most popular rap these days is pretty banal. I think we're all aware that Illmatic is a good record and that Aesop Rock is doing some pretty cool shit. it's just that with 99% of bands, they aren't that good, and ripping someone off. when you didn't like the original all that much, then any ripoff is going to piss you off.

Altmer telling me my music is garbage and yours is the real stuff isn't an argument. It's opinon and pretty narrowminded. I'm not insulting you but suggesting broadening your horizons. There is such a thing as southern metal. There are plenty of bands who fit the description. Let me break down the description that you said means nothing.
It's a misnomer. Southern metal applies to anything metal that is from the south (is an Antarctican metal band playing southern metal, then?)

It's metal ( woooaahh) with southern style lyrics, guitar, vocals, and or rhythm. Did i lose you? Keep of Kellesin is three words long. By your reasoning it's automatically terrible, a trend, not metal, and a copycat.
Keep of Kalessin use blastbeats, tremolo riffs, symphonics, and screamed vocals. That makes them musically clearly black metal. I don't know if you actually have listened to them. I'm throwing around the term three word band because 99% of metalcore bands have three word monikers. You cannot reverse this; a three word band (such as Faith No More, one of my favourite bands) does not have to be shit. Do you understand this difference?

What are southern style lyrics, guitar, vocals and rhythm exactly? I don't see any unifying musical theme to that. I doubt Angra (who are from Brazil, which is far more south than Texas or New Mexico or wherever ETID is from) can be classified as southern metal.

Palm muting is one example of a very small sample of metal that i listen to. But keep being ridiculous. If emo metal was influence by 80's punk why did it take another decade to actually emerge? i'm not denying some influence but honestly...that's stereotyping an entire genre again.
Progressive rock was a trend in the 1970s, and heavy metal was beginning in the 1980s. A lot of genres are inspired by things that occurred decades before them. Many current indie music still hearkens back to the Beatles. Progressive metal as a movement didn't take root until Dream Theater popularised (NOT ESTABLISHED; WATCHTOWER, QUEENSRYCHE, SIEGES EVEN, FATES WARNING WERE THERE FIRST) it with the Images and Words album. Timescales have nothing to do with influence. If I would start a band, I would definitely be influenced by 70s rock, as I am a major Pink Floyd fan. If I combined influences from say, metal, psychedelic, prog rock, electronica, and jazz, I've taken influences from genres that were around way before me. Influences don't have to be recent.

Palm muting isn't "metal", it's a technique of guitar playing popular in metal. Similar to the tritone, which is a popular chord progression in metal, and the use of harmonic minors or pentatonic scales. Protest the Hero uses a lot of 12-tone mumbo jumbo they got from Spastic Ink (Jarzombek's band).

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Some of the posts in this thread are getting pretty ridiculous.

Just a reminder - this is not Firebot, blatant insults and flooding will not be tolerated.

This is your final warning.

DM, Mormoopid actually did tell Son of a Disaster to lurk.

Ritsi Time (if you see this), what Focus songs would you recommend besides Anonymous Two? I was able to become completely obsessed with that song, but on a couple listen throughs, nothing else really grabbed my attention.
Hocus Pocus, Sylvia, Mother Focus, Harem Scarem, 'Round Goes The Gossip, Le Clochard, House of the King, to name a few. Hocus Pocus: The Best of Focus is well worth seeking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)