Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - December 2009

I prefer to give them some false hope, Meteor first with Dnite, then Espeed as they try to pass their +2 atck and +1 speed.

lols.
I also do this with weavile lol... I just night slash and let them get +6 speed or whatever but ice shard before they can pass it away... Its pretty evil haha

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
Scizor usage is decreasing gradually month after month, while Salamence and Tyrannitar usage are increasing slowly. Maybe after a while, Scizor will no longer be the #1 used poke, and Salamence will reign supreme. This is good, because I am absolutely sick of seeing Scizor everywhere. Oh, btw, Cresselia and Porygon-Z in UU? UU is gunna be chaotic now lols. Wait till OU loses Heracross. Man, that's really gunna suck.

in my experience i almost never see people use Snorlax but it appears people are using it ... Somewhere , i just have't noticed.

I started using Icy Wind on Gengar to lure it in and kill it. It actually worked, too. lol. Scarftar is only really good for getting rid of Latias, Gengar, DSelf (with something that attracts taunt), and Starmie. Otherwise, it lacks the power that CBtar and DDtar have which is really disappointing.

everytime I see a ttar now I basically just assume its scarfed and go to skarmory to get free spikes. its become way too predictable now

So... leafeon and nidoqueen moved up to UU..

so... why didn't charizard? it was used more than those two... even more than mespirit. Why wasn't it moved up with them?

So... leafeon and nidoqueen moved up to UU..

so... why didn't charizard? it was used more than those two... even more than mespirit. Why wasn't it moved up with them?
The tier lists use statistics from the last 3 months (every month since the last update), not just the one previous month. Older months don't have as great an effect as it's taken in proportion, but it can still affect the outcome. If you look:

Code:
December
|   54 | Charizard  |   3863 |    3.56 | 
|   56 | Leafeon    |   3775 |    3.48 |
|   57 | Nidoqueen  |   3717 |    3.42 |

November
|   45 | Nidoqueen  |   4156 |    4.09 |
|   62 | Leafeon    |   2962 |    2.91 |
|   70 | Charizard  |   2440 |    2.40 |

October
|   47 | Leafeon    |   5023 |    4.30 |
|   67 | Nidoqueen  |   2906 |    2.49 |
|   69 | Charizard  |   2613 |    2.24 |
Charizards low usage in the prior months is what set him back, while Nidoqueen enjoyed a good November Run and Leafeon has been steady since October. Charizard's one jump wasn't enough to help him out.

The same happened with Rhydon once. It got higher than a few UUs in the month before the lists were changed, but since it got so low in the previous months, it didn't move up.

god I love the amount of sheer data available for analysis. It kills me inside to know that I cannot come up with an extremly effective way to exploit this data. I guess its back to shoddy for me.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know why people are so surprised that the metagame is becoming more and more centralized (at least decreasing in variation). While the game has a fair level of complexity, the information contained in the game is limited while time is essentially unlimited. Therefore, over time, people will only refine strategy within the rules of the game. By "refine," I mean that more effective pokemon and sets will be discovered, and weaker ones removed.

Left to its own means without outside stimulus (changing the dimensions of the game via rule changes or new pokemon games), it's natural that the metagame will become more stagnant. It happens slowly, with this or that player shaking things up once in a while, but generally speaking, looking at the bulk of play, the trend is towards conformity. That's just natural.

syrim

1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1
Porygon-z won't have to tailor himself to suit specific situations as he did in OU, such as a subpar reveng killer and a blissey lure. I still don't think he'll overpower the UU tier though, just because registeel stops every variant so well.

A mixed wall with the potential of cress though would centralize a good deal, but then i really have no cred in UU.

Porygon-z won't have to tailor himself to suit specific situations as he did in OU, such as a subpar reveng killer and a blissey lure. I still don't think he'll overpower the UU tier though, just because registeel stops every variant so well.

A mixed wall with the potential of cress though would centralize a good deal, but then i really have no cred in UU.
registeel wants nothing to do with np pory, or specs if it guesses right and uses hp ground/fighting

also, just wondering, if one of the rotom appliances drops to UU usage levels, would it fall? or would it stay because it's almost exactly the same as the other rotoms?

also, just wondering, if one of the rotom appliances drops to UU usage levels, would it fall? or would it stay because it's almost exactly the same as the other rotoms?
It would stay in OU, their tier position is based on their combined usage, not their individual usage.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Are pokemon that don't appear in the battle still considered "used"? For example if I 6-0 someone with my areodactyle lead, without revealing any of my other pokemon would the other pokemon be considered in the usage statistics.
Also why isn't this Sticky'd?

I still can't believe how low Aerodactyl is as a lead, and likewise how high Tyranitar is. I absolutely adore the former, while the latter I find very subpar in comparison with other options (as a lead).

Otherwise, pretty much lines up with what I see in random battles.

Palkia (in the uber environment) with Kyogre's support, I would say is probably the most offensively useful pokemon. I actually do prefer MixKia with its "unpredictability" as everyone expects it to be scarfed.

For a side note, the mixed variant on smogon with surf, spacial rend, aqua tail (well i've been using fire blast but thinking of protect), and thunder is actually incredibly popular in Japan also even without Kyogre on your team as about 1/2 of the teams carry kyogre anyways or groudon at least for yours benefits. Oh and I was talking about VGC 2010 style meta of Japan.

Actually, I am kind of surprised by just how lower Palkia's usage by with Groudon and Ho-oh's rise in terms of usage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)