CAP 10 CAP 10 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lured from the depths of lurkerdom for one of my favorite things. Man you guys are fast, haha, and the competition begins to look stiff.

Taicho slips ahead w/first post for awesome eel. I think he looks too bent though...
Who woulda thought a shrimp could look pimpin, Aragon.
Caladbolg's designs are super cute and unique :3 (and yeah I'm strongly reminded of Shuckle too)
Cartoons makes somethin totally out of the box and awesome @__@
Lovebite's got potential. I'd like to see it fleshed out.
Dangit Mutant I had a axotl/salamander/amphibian kinda thing goin too! Haha the angler's pretty damn unique though.
Poke25's knifefish thingy was somethin I was considering too...
Hehe P_K's frog is purdy nice in itself.
Tanz could have a lot of potential too O:

Anyway it's a super duper rough sketch WIP w/e you wanna call it taken w/my cameraphone (lulz). Scanner ain't available at the moment.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp78/otaku-dono/001.jpg

Very, very rough so far. Based off a Portuguese man-o-war, but kinda loosely. If people like it I can spruce it up tomorrow or something (probably will regardless). And just a note: the little leg-like things are going to be something electrical, like conductors or something.
Seems good; a bit too "generic" yet, but it's a rough sketch so it's ok. But the idea of a Electric jellyfish has potential.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

My take on the typing. Platypusmon. His entire body works as a cell, with the head being positive, and the ground being negative. This leaves his arms, legs and tail free for utilising its potential.
C&C welcome.

My current favourite is Darthvader317's number 1) , the salamander type thing. Looks good, and original.

Time to copy Czir's process of elimination! gimme your top two! I'll work on clean all of these up to give you a better idea.

Bottom Left: Inspired by a sea turtle.

Bottom Right: Sea Cuccumber =P

Middle Left: Dolphin

Middle Right: Hermit Crab

Top: Angel Fish

And I'd also like to remind you that if you'd like help with your design the link to my CAP Help thread is in my Sig, and that you have two and a half days left before the dead line for slots. Thank you and good luck to everyone ^_^.

Man, competition is fierce already

I guess a Utility Counter needs to adapt to many different situations, so I based this idea off of a creature that customizes itself... the hermit crab.

Rough sketch so far, sorry dudes. I will probably change the shell. Maybe even use a shell from an existing Pokemon, such as Cloyster. I was thinking that if CAP10 ever ended up going down the multiple formes route, this could work pretty well.

To people who are submitting multiple designs:

Caladbolg- Tough choice, both are really cool. Your storm cloud guy is a perfect representation of the Water and Electric typing, but I fear you may lose votes because Cyclohm already stepped on similar territory. Scuba Shuckle may be the better choice.

Taicho- Your bottom two (the turtle and the cucumber) and the hermit crab are my favourites. I'd love to see what you can do with any of the three. Turtle is perhaps a tad risky though, as we already have 3 tortoise based Pokemon (and one of them is a water type). There are also three crabs, but they tend to be more obscure and useless in battle so it's not such a big deal I think.

BugManiacBob- I think you can take the platypus a long way here. It's such a unique and interesting creature. Choosing a fish based design is risky in my opinion, there are plenty in existence already and it would be hard to diversify your design enough to make it truly stand out. I also completely agree with you on the cute thing, all CAPs (minus Fidgit) have had pretty badass designs and it would be nice to see the roster balanced by cutemons.

Maybe it's a bit obvious, but I couldn't resist (o^_^o)

For versatility, I made its front fins claw-like, so it's amphibious. I may do a sketch of it standing? To ward off things like Salamence, Gengar, and Lucario, I guess it'd have to be quite tough, so I gave it typical giant razor-teeth. And, of course, a light-bulb for Electric attacks.

The participation in this is great!

EDIT: Maybe I should specify, this is of course a rough WIP, so feedback is welcome! :]

@Yadon: Everyone who voted Water/Electric stressed that it would not be another Lanturn to those who made the connection via typing. That means using art that looks like Lanturn would just say to everyone 'for CAP10 we one upped Lanturn and it can't do shit about it. Yeah, what now.' To be completely honest I wouldn't bet your current art idea will be considered. It is a good start though and you did have the two components necessary (from what I could see), but try something else.

@Scampy: I like your idea. But the colors alone shouldn't indicate that it can use Electricity, if all I saw was its picture I would have thought mono-Water and nothing more. Perhaps turn the shell into something like a lightning rod, electric coil, etc. I think that would add a bit more to it.

@DarthVader317: I support this creation the most even if I still think Aragorn's is more original and creative. It looks versatile. It looks as though it could run basically any move which is what I was looking for personally. However once you start refining it I'd say add some sort of plating to indicate it would be bulky or a bit more defensive. Good spots for adding some sort of armor would be the circles (not lighting details) on the shoulder of each leg and the back under or around the spikes from what I could see.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My very, VERY slow starting-point:

http://i44.tinypic.com/e9j8gi.jpg

Stingray/KillerWhale/TorpedoFish/Platypus. Which one should I go for? (Although constructive criticism is also appreciated...)

EDIT: Before you say anything, I'm trying to make them look cute and slightly goofy, as there has never been a CAP that quite fits that description. So please don't tell me to give them big fangs or something similar.

Well, I was about to do an electric eel, but isn't that really obvious? If CAP10 is going to be versatile, it should probably have multiple limbs. And if it's going to counter things, it would want some sort of defense like a shell or armor. A crab Pokemon has already been done and so has a lobster, but not a shrimp so here we go...

<snip>
This is incredible! It's my favourite! You might want to clean up the blue lines inside, though.

I love scampy's design as well. You guys are so fast, though; it stuns me.

taicho: I like your designs, but in the WIP lineart you showed, can you please make the lines darker? I already darkened them for myself in Photoshop, but pale blue on white is hard to distinguish, especially for people with bright monitors / bad eyesight. ^^; As for my top two, I love the Dolphin and Sea Cucumber.

@Yadon: Everyone who voted Water/Electric stressed that it would not be another Lanturn to those who made the connection via typing. That means using art that looks like Lanturn would just say to everyone 'for CAP10 we one upped Lanturn and it can't do shit about it. Yeah, what now.' To be completely honest I wouldn't bet your current art idea will be considered. It is a good start though and you did have the two components necessary (from what I could see), but try something else.
Sorry, I'm completely new to all of this :[
I don't feel that it appears to be anything like Lanturn, apart from having a form of light from it's head, as does Manaphy, but if you think it does then clearly others will too.

Thank you for your feedback, I might try something else, although I only did a quick drawing because I thought it would look nice :)

These concepts are quite exciting! The thing I love about this CAP is that it involves the use of Janusian or contradictory thinking.

Think about it-- the concept is to be able to counter everything but only one thing at once.

The typing-- water and electric, two types classically at odds.

And now the artwork, awesome stuff, so far involving a lot of blue and oranges, complimentary colors (see cartoons')

Right now taicho and cartoons' are my favs. I like taicho's dolphin the most out of his concepts.

Cartoons' is interesting because it is not based on a combination of two existing animals which is often an easy route to go.

Final Submission

For my entry I tried to take what was probably the least creative creature for the water-electric type combo (an electric eel) and make it more creative and original. So I created a bioluminescent, deep-sea eel that has lost the use of its eyesight, but instead uses electrical impulses to 'see' the world around it. If it gets picked, (which it won't, LOL) its blindness could translate into some sort of interesting ability, maybe.

Supporting Material
Possible attacks: Discharge, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Magnet Rise, Surf, Aqua Tail, Aqua Jet, Crunch, Fire / Thunder / Ice Fang, Dark Pulse, U-Turn, Taunt, Ice Beam, Mean Look, Confuse Ray, Hypnosis, Moonlight / Slack Off, Superpower(?), etc.

Possible abilities:
- Static: because it's an electic eel... kinda. Would be a good ability for someone who can take a hit, like CAP-10 is supposed to be able to.
- Filter: because he's blind
- (possible made-up ability): Also because he's blind; such an ability might make him immune to moves such as Hypnosis, Taunt, Mean Look, and other abilities that require the Pokemon to be able to see its opponent.

NOTE: possible moves and abilities are purely speculation. This is not intended to be polljumping.

Sorry, I'm completely new to all of this :[
I don't feel that it appears to be anything like Lanturn, apart from having a form of light from it's head, as does Manaphy, but if you think it does then clearly others will too.
Lanturn and your art are both based on the 'angler fish'. The main things different about your concept and Lanturn is yours is purple and meaner with some slightly different details. However the inspiration and typing for both types are exactly the same so I feel it should be avoided. Don't feel bad.

Lanturn and your art are both based on the 'angler fish'. The main things different about your concept and Lanturn is yours is purple and meaner with some slightly different details. However the inspiration and typing for both types are exactly the same so I feel it should be avoided. Don't feel bad.
Woops, I always thought it was just a funny-looking Pokémon ^_^
You didn't hurt my feelings or anything, critique is expected and needed :P
Thank you :)

taicho: I like your designs, but in the WIP lineart you showed, can you please make the lines darker? I already darkened them for myself in Photoshop, but pale blue on white is hard to distinguish, especially for people with bright monitors / bad eyesight. ^^; As for my top two, I love the Dolphin and Sea Cucumber.
Yeah I tend to do that to make the finalized line art easier. I'll have cleaner versions up in an hour or so (oh god lineart for FIVE concept, why did I do it?!) and I'll try to add some very flat colors so I can get some opinions on color schemes.

So I have 2 for Dolphin 1 for sea cucumber and 1 for sea turtle (my personal favorite >.>)

Yes, it's another electric(ish) eel. I decided to go a different route than Taicho did with his; instead, we're going for the deep-sea eel (that doesn't suck) theme.
I'm not sure but did you just say my eel sucked... ?

And no worries for eel competition, I sacked mine =P

Yeah I tend to do that to make the finalized line art easier. I'll have cleaner versions up in an hour or so (oh god lineart for FIVE concept, why did I do it?!) and I'll try to add some very flat colors so I can get some opinions on color schemes.

So I have 2 for Dolphin 1 for sea cucumber and 1 for sea turtle (my personal favorite >.>)

I'm not sure but did you just say me eel sucked... ?
And no worries for eel competition, I sacked mine =P
Sorry, I meant to comment on your post but I forgot. D: I personally like the dolphin the best... the others, I'm not so keen on, but I think that one has some interesting potential, since there's no dolphin yet in the world of Pokemon.

-EDIT- NONONONONONOOOO, I was referring to Huntail and Gorebyss. D: I actually liked the idea behind yours (as I commented in your art thread). =0

I would like to implore all of these amazing artists (I like all of the concepts honestly ^_^) to keep an eye on the stat distribution page. If the stat spread turns out to be something like 160 speed for example, the design should show that. I.E. a shellfish that weighs 500 pounds may need alittle work to depict the speed of the pokemon.

Just throwing out a little tidbit, that is all. I'm not very adept at art so I'll try to stay out of this thread.

P.S. I like the stormcloud idea but It reminds me of the Dragon/Electric cap from earlier.

Sorry, I meant to comment on your post but I forgot. D: I personally like the dolphin the best... the others, I'm not so keen on, but I think that one has some interesting potential, since there's no dolphin yet in the world of Pokemon.

-EDIT- NONONONONONOOOO, I was referring to Huntail and Gorebyss. D:
HAHAHA no worries I took it with good humor =P

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww139/pkmntaicho321/SeaCucumber.jpg?t=1268859554

Pokédex Entry: The inside of this pokemon's body is a thunder cloud, which it utilizes through it's cunductive body to electrocute foes.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww139/pkmntaicho321/HermitCrab.jpg?t=1268859554

Pokédex Entry: This Pokemon's shell is charged with electricity, the fibers along the end carry 100,000 volts of electricity.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww139/pkmntaicho321/Dolphin.jpg?t=1268859556

Pokédex Entry: Because of the stripe on this pokémon's back, when people observe it out at sea it appears to be a bolt of lighting running along the surface of the ocean.

first batch of colored (ish) designs

@ Macle: I like the idea of doing a frog or something, (might wanna skip the poison part, the Poison second typing lost out, remember =0) but I'd like to see that hand-drawn, instead of... whatever that is that you have. =0 No offense, I hope.

@ defyin' : I like the stingray idea, very creative, but I'd like to see you develop your design a bit more. =\ Seems very simplistic... now simple isn't bad, but yours could stand to be less simple. =0

@ taicho: hahaha, good, good... :D' Oooh, I actually like the-- err... what was it, a sea cucumber thing? now that I see him in color. =3 ...I just hate the fleshy pink color. =0 Maybe something... else...? Light sea green might not look too bad. Dolphin looks cool too, would like to see him develop a bit more.

Just a preliminary sketch, no colour or anything. Theres not many animal/fish types left that aren't already covered by water pokemon that already exist. An eel is one of them, but eels have a rather uninteresting shape.
I gave this one quite a large rear fin and stumpy legs to try and take away from the eel-y ness. That yoke at the front is meant to be a fuse, created naturally by the pokmons body to store energy.
Modifications and especially colour suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lovely, it's that time of the CaP process again. I love most of the designs itt already, and it hasn't been open for a day yet heh. Anyway, I have several designs pending, but there was one that i just needed to get out:

Kinestaaaaaaa
Actually, this idea came about on #cap. I was brainstorming ideas with some of the people there, and one of them that stuck out in my mind was an alien. Then someone brought up the existence of Kinesta, and how the typing is almost exactly the same as CaP 10 (sans flying :P). I then thought that it would be cute to merge the two ideas together, and bam! Kinesta v. 2 was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)