Restricted IVs for Pokemon we're not sure about.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There are a significant number of Pokemon on Shoddy Battle with restricted IV combinations that use RNGs we haven't fully researched. The most notable example is Jirachi, who comes mainly from Colloseum's bonus disk which could use a completely different RNG altogether. Is there any particular reason Pokemon like this are restricted? "Better safe than sorry", or are we just assuming they probably have similar characteristics as everyone else?

While I am no expert, I think the RNG is the same as in other games, just with different starting seeds, etc. So the IV combo are the same, just manipulating it is different. Not sure about that, but it seems logical

cim

Colloseum bonus disk isn't a game and I know it has not been researched.

Also, we don't know how the RNG works for distributed event Pokemon from before the era of DP Mystery Gift. If it were up to me, I would assume anything goes until we know otherwise for sure, but this is somewhat pedantic. I'm mostly interested in the current official rationale for such decisions.

It is to do with PID/IV creation. This makes certain IV's illegal with certain natures. As for the Jirachi event, I can only assume IVs are generated in the same way as every captured Pokemon.

cim

It is to do with PID/IV creation. This makes certain IV's illegal with certain natures. As for the Jirachi event, I can only assume IVs are generated in the same way as every captured Pokemon.
I know that. I am asking if that's the assumption made, and in general questioning whether or not that is a strong one.

Sorry for the rapid fire posts, I should be more clear in my OPs from now on.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
To clear things up a bit:

Jirachi often doesn't use any sort of restricted IV combination due to being able to be obtained from the Wondercards in 4th gen. However, as of now IV restrictions apply for those who use to wish to use Body Slam Jirachi (or any Jirachi with 3rd gen exclusive moves, for that matter).

WISHMKR and I believe Negaiboshi Jirachi uses the same Restricted algorithm as 10 ANIV Pokemon. However, CHANNEL Jirachi appears to use a different algo...

Also, no, 3rd gen Jirachis do not have the same legal IV/Nature combinations as catchable legendaries (well there may be a few combos that match but you get the idea).

Yes, Jirachi comes from the bonus disk, but you get from the Green man at the PokéMart like any other event/gift pokemon. So the IV's are created when you get it from the Green Man.

cim

Also, no, 3rd gen Jirachis do not have the same legal IV/Nature combinations as catchable legendaries (well there may be a few combos that match but you get the idea).
Ah, this is changed since when IV restrictions were first implemented. I must have missed that. Just to be clear, was research done to verify that WISHMKR (bonus disk) Jirachi and 10ANIV use different algorithms? I assume so.

Yes, Jirachi comes from the bonus disk, but you get from the Green man at the PokéMart like any other event/gift pokemon. So the IV's are created when you get it from the Green Man.
This is simply not true. I have a bonus disk.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
this is super interesting and somewhat concerning.... I guess it comes down to what the third generation moves for Jirachi are. What moves does Jirachi only get in 3rd gen, and are they truly the main things used in its arsenal? I don't believe so, but if it is so, then we should definitely look into this further.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)