B&W Research Thread

someone should check if shadow tag is still that same. maybe more distribution = less buff? like arena trap doesn't effect flying or levitating pokemon?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I don't know if this has been discussed/explained before, but has anyone else found pokemon "naturally in their game" with dreamworld abilities already on them? I've been following serebii's coverage and more than once he's talked about it. Could it be that in Gen V there are just 3 possible abilities (in some cases)?

[edit]
On a completely different note. Does anybody know if that ditto you trade for ingame is one of those "comes with the same IVs of the mon you give for it" kind of deals or if it's random method 1 or whatever. If it comes with the IVs of the mon you trade for it (rotom) dude that'd be a super easy way to get a flawless ditto in Gen 5.

He didn't find them 'naturally' (by finding them in the long grass). The abilities are still obtained through a special method.

I assume this only applies to 5th gen mons (probably only certain ones at that).

EDIT: In 4th gen, in-game trade Pokémon always had IVs that were multiples of 5 (in my experience, anyway), i.e. not the same as the one you traded for.

I would like to bring to attention that Mr.Mime's Filter abillity has received an upgrade. It now seems to completely block damage from super effective moves! I have tested this ingame with Urugamosu's Bug Buzz.

EDIT: I forgot about Soundproof, it was probably that that activated.

Serebii has just updated his website about (I believe) all the updated ability effects. I thought someone said that the Pickup ability now has effect to copy the opponent's berry when it's used. I even remember this happening when I faced a Yorterrie and it copied my Oran berry after I used it(the ability came up, and I was in a trainer battle. It was already yellow and didn't eat a berry until I ate one afterwards.) Was I just seeing things, XD. Or is it an old effect?

Also, if it is a new effect, if someone was to eat a salac berry, does the pokemon with Pickup copy and eat it as well?

EDIT: @The Shadow Knight: Are you sure it wasn't Soundproof? I believe Bug Buzz counts as a sound move which is why it was nulled.

I would like to bring to attention that Mr.Mime's Filter abillity has received an upgrade. It now seems to completely block damage from super effective moves! I have tested this ingame with Urugamosu's Bug Buzz.
So it is sort of anti-Wonder Guard? Also, Mr. Mime has Soundproof that blocks Bug Buzz... just in case you missed it.

If Filter doesn't have an activation notion than it was probably soundproof. Sorry about that. I will test with a dark move, but it probably was soundproof.

EDIT: It' was definitly SoundProof. Next time I post here I'll make sure to have taken a better look at all the possibilities.

Wind Storm [M542]: Does it get an accuracy boost in all weather, or only rain\hail\sandstorm?
Just tested this against a bunch of wild pokemon

Hail: Hit 14 times out of 20 (70%)
Sun: Hit 13 times out of 20(65%)
Rain: Hit 32 times out of 32(100%)
Sandstorm: Hit 13 out of 20(65%)

Out of all weather conditions Rain is the only one who gives the accuracy boost.
All others seem to remain 70%

someone should check if shadow tag is still that same. maybe more distribution = less buff? like arena trap doesn't effect flying or levitating pokemon?
I have verified two things already:

-Shadow Tag vs Shadow Tag still behaves in the same way.

- Run Away allows the abillity holder to run from battle (like it used to?).

Do you have any other suggestions for possible tests?

EDIT:
-Run Away does not allow the abillity holder to switch to a Team Member.

EDIT2:
If this wasn't tested yet:
-Mold Breaker ignores Sturdy!

Serebii's phrasing of Stench's new effect seems vague. It is essentially a King's Rock as an ability or does it increase the likelihood of an already flinching move (i.e. a worse Serene Grace)?

Also, what are these 'discipline' moves that are strengthened under Discipline Band?

Just tested this against a bunch of wild pokemon

Hail: Hit 14 times out of 20 (70%)
Sun: Hit 13 times out of 20(65%)
Rain: Hit 32 times out of 32(100%)
Sandstorm: Hit 13 out of 20(65%)

Out of all weather conditions Rain is the only one who gives the accuracy boost.
All others seem to remain 70%
What about Tailwind?

Serebii's phrasing of Stench's new effect seems vague. It is essentially a King's Rock as an ability or does it increase the likelihood of an already flinching move (i.e. a worse Serene Grace)?

Also, what are these 'discipline' moves that are strengthened under Discipline Band?
My conjecture is that the discipline moves may be these:

I've looked over the flags, and here's my educated guess about what they do, in order from least significant (far right) flag to most significant (far left) flag:

12. This one has me stumped. Most (if not all) Flying-type attacks have it, along with 'pulse' attacks, like Water Pulse, Healing Pulse, Aura Sphere, etc. Maybe these are boosted by an effect now? *Keeps fingers crossed for Tailwind*
However, since I do not have Discipline Band myself, I have no way of testing it. Perhaps someone else could in lieu?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if this has been discussed/explained before, but has anyone else found pokemon "naturally in their game" with dreamworld abilities already on them? I've been following serebii's coverage and more than once he's talked about it. Could it be that in Gen V there are just 3 possible abilities (in some cases)?
Oh man oh God, both Musharna and Hihidaruma are in the Ground Egg Group. Somebody needs to get both of them ASAP and try to breed them to see whether or not the offspring has a Dream World ability.

I contacted Maverick Hunter just in case

Metal Burst: does it now return 2x damage instead of 1.5x?
Just tested this against a wild basurao
He did Aqua yet and i got 4 damage
Then i used Metal burst and he got 6 damage(i verified by catching it)

Second test
He did aqua yet and i got 24 damage
Then i used metal burst and he got 36 damage

So i suppose it has remained 1.5x

What about Tailwind?
I'll test it in a minute, though it seems unlikely as it doesn't seem to be a 'real' weather condition.

Edit: Out of 20 times, Windstorm hit 12 times during Tailwind or 60%
I suppose Tailwind like i suspected doesn't effect Windstorm's accuracy

Oh man oh God, both Musharna and Hihidaruma are in the Ground Egg Group. Somebody needs to get both of them ASAP and try to breed them to see whether or not the offspring has a Dream World ability.

I'm going to give it a try. I have now caught a female Telepathy Musharna. I'll see if I can pass Telepathy to a baby Munna to start.

EDIT:

Telepathy succesfully passed to my first hatched Female Munna!

In other words, the Dream World abillities appear to be breedable atleast to offspring of the same species!

I'll continue testing to see if other abillities are still passed while breeding with a parent with a Dream World abillity. I'll also test if the abillities pass when the Male parent has the Dream World Abillity.

Testing this with a male Musharna and female Hihi right now, will edit in results.

EDIT: Yeah that was quickl. First egg gave me an Inner Focus mini-daruma thing. I'll breed some more to see if i can get a percentage chance of obtaining the dream world ability.

Breeding two different species of pokemon, both with their Dream World ability will give you a (a chance of a) baby with the Dream World ability

Edit2: Seems like it is not 100% certain to give you a dream world ability baby. It certainly seems as though it will be 1/2 or 1/3 depending on how many abilities the pokemon have.

Couple more things im going to try, not sure if these things have been tested;

Male non-Telepathy Munna + Female Daruma Mode Hihidaruma
Male Telepathy Musharna + Female Hustle Hihidaruma pre evo

Mario With Lasers

Oh lol Maverick sucks and forgot to tell me that

Male Encourage + Female Daruma Mode = Inner Focus Darumakka

But I think it's irrelevant now :P

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh lol Maverick sucks and forgot to tell me that

Male Encourage + Female Daruma Mode = Inner Focus Darumakka

But I think it's irrelevant now :P
Oh really now?

So maybe we're looking at:

DW parent + DW parent = high chance of pass
DW parent + non-DW parent = low chance of pass

Would anybody with save files with DW-ability Pokemon mind sending me theirs so I can have a look at their PIDs?

DW Male + Non DW Female = No DW ability
Non DW Male + DW Female = Possible DW ability
DW Male + DW Female = Possible DW ability

Works for both the same species breeding or two different species.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Makes sense. It prevents us from breeding any Pokemon with a DW ability that haven't already been released with DW abilities.

Here's a good question: does DW Ditto still count as the female when breeding for abilities? Obviously it's not one we'll be able to answer for a while, unless someone figures out how to hack a Ditto with a Dream World flag.

Well, nice post, saves me some work =p

I guess we won't be spreading around DW abillities from that Musharna than.
Have you tried Male DW + Ditto? I guess it wouldn't work though.

@OmegaDonut:
If you want I could rebreed(I rolled back my save) a couple of Munna and pass you the save if that would help?

Mario With Lasers

So, let me see what we have for now, just to be 101% sure (there will be some "no shit" scenarios but I'm listing them regardless):

Same Species:
Male DW Ability + Female DW Ability = DW Ability
Male DW Ability + Female Non-DW Ability = ???
Male Non-DW Ability + Female DW Ability = DW Ability
Male Non-DW Ability + Female Non-DW Ability = Non-DW Ability

Different Species:
Male DW Ability + Female DW Ability = DW Ability
Male DW Ability + Female Non-DW Ability = Non-DW Ability
Male Non-DW Ability + Female DW Ability = DW Ability
Male Non-DW Ability + Female Non-DW Ability = Non-DW Ability

Ditto:
Non-DW Ditto + Female DW Ability = Non-DW Ability
Non-DW Ditto + Female Non-DW Ability = Non-DW Ability
Male DW Ability + Non-DW Ditto = Non-DW Ability
Male Non-DW Ability + Non-DW Ditto = Non-DW Ability

DW Ditto + Female DW Ability = ???
DW Ditto + Female Non-DW Ability = ???
Male DW Ability + DW Ditto = ???
Male Non-DW Ability + DW Ditto = ???

No 100% chance has been confirmed on anything as of now.

I realize this is probably low priority and on everyone's radar anyways, but given what Maverick Hunter has reported on DW abilities being passable through breeding, this raises a question in my mind on breeding mechanics that isn't necessarily directly related to DW abilities:

Can this mean that in Gen 5 abilities of offspring aren't tied to seeds as they were in Gen 4? Is there any consistent passing of abilities with combinations of parents/abilities where only 1 or none have DW abilities, or could it be purely probability-related (as in like how it was speculated that in HGSS both parents holding a power item did something along these lines with the respective IVs)? And a follow on: Does one of the parents being a Ditto affect this?

(I mean something along the lines of: male scyther and female scyther in day care, male has swarm and female has technician, results in 75% probability of offspring having technician. Just an illustration in case I wasn't clear about what I was asking. I have no idea as to the mechanics and don't mean that as a suggestion of how it actually works.)

And even if this isn't taken up or is already known, thanks again for you guys putting in the time to answer all of these question on BW mechanics for the community!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)