The Moonlight Pokemon

Base Stats:
HP: 95
Atk: 65
Def: 110
Sp Atk: 60
Sp Def: 130
Speed: 65

Abilities: Synchronize, Inner Focus (DW)

-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Helping Hand
8- Sand Attack
15- Pursuit
22- Quick Attack
29- Confuse Ray
36- Faint Attack
43- Assurance
50- Last Resort
57- Mean Look
64- Screech
71- Moonlight
78- Guard Swap

06- Toxic
10- Hidden Power
11- Sunny Day
12- Taunt
15- Hyper Beam
17- Protect
18- Rain Dance
21- Frustration
27- Return
28- Dig
29- Psychic
30- Shadow Ball
32- Double Team
41- Torment
42- Facade
44- Rest
45- Attract
48- Troll
49- Echo Voice
66- Payback
67- Get Back
68- Giga Impact
70- Flash
77- Psych Up
83- Cheer Up
85- Dream Eater
87- Swagger
90- Substitute
95- Black Out

Charm
Covet
Curse
Detect
Endure
Fake Tears
Flail
Natural Gift
Tickle
Wish
Yawn
Assist power
Synchronise

Sucker Punch
Helping Hand
Last Resort
Snore
Spite
Swift
Mud-slap
Heal Bell
Headbutt

Troll (Normal): Increases in power for each user of it on your team.
Echo Voice (Normal): Increases in power if the pokemon or it’s teammate use it every turn.
Get Back (Normal): Increases in power if one of the pokemon’s teammates was fainted.
Cheer Up (Norma): Raises both the pokemon’s Attack and Special Attack.
Black Out (Dark): 100% chance to lower the opponent’s Special attack.
Assist power (Psychic): Gains power for how much the pokemon’s stats are boosted.
Synchronise (Psychic): Hits all pokemon of the same type as the user.

Well. I’m somewhat surprised there isn’t a thread for him yet. Umbreon returns yet again. Many people have grumbled that umbreon didn’t get much at all. I disagree. Sure, Inner Focus is more-or-less useless, but at least it means that Umbreon can use his previous tutor and TM moves without worry. And, yes, the move Synchronise on Umbreon would just be a joke. But Umbreon returns as the only plausible user of Mean Look Passing (exactly one new line got the ability to do so and, like the other contenders for the position, as nowhere near good enough defenses), a position that will no doubt be valued in this new metagame of set-up sweepers of epic proportions. And that isn’t the only thing he can baton pass- he joins the other eeveelution in the new ability to pass Cheer Up, a move any mixed sweeper would love to have passed to them, especially one too frail to set it up itself. Never mind the fact he still gets Wish, Curse, Payback, the whole package. Not only this, but with Drought seemingly being brought out of Ubers, Umbreon may have the potential to improve his tanking ability even more, restoring 3/4 of his health with Moonlight in the sun. Is this worth sacrificing the ability to pass a 1/2 boost onto another team member with Wish? Eh, debatable, but has some merit. And there is always the straight-up gimmick nonsense option of a special set with Cheer Up, Dark Pulse and Assist Power, but that’s just silly. Will Umbreon enter into the new generation with the tools to hold onto his OU position, or will he loose the shaky grip he held onto it in 4th Gen and fall into the lower tiers? Who knows. And we’re technically not allowed to discuss that yet. So, how do YOU think Umbreon will fare in the new world of the Gen 5 metagame?

Suggesting sets=good. I’ll edit them into the first post.

EDIT: Mean Look passing no longer works. Eww.

mean look is extremely gimmicky and one of umbreons best sets utilizes synchronize

umbreon @ leftovers
impish/careful
252 hp x def x spd
synchronize
heal bell
wish
protect
payback/baton pass

the nature/evs depend on if you want it to be more physically or specially bulky. with synchronize and heal bell you can spread status around an enemy team while keeping it off yours, and you can wish pass. one of the best clerics around.

this set was more for when it was in UU

umbreon @ leftovers
careful
252 hp 252 spd
either ability
curse
moonlight/wish
payback
return/sucker punch

has a lot of trouble in ou where there are very strong fighting types around, but it worked in uu.

I think umbreon will be a very effective wall in the lower tiers.
A set like
Umbreon@leftovers
252sp def/252hp/4spd
Careful
wish
protect
toxic
payback

I think Umbreon will have a spot on weather teams since he is capable of trapping opposing pokemon with Mean Look, changing the weather on them, weakening them and setting up your weather, then baton passing to something that can take it out. This is especially useful on a sun team since he can run Moonlight instead of wish to tank even better. This could pay of big if you are able to get a mean look off on your opponents Ninetales or Politoed or even T-Tar and immediately change the weather on them.

Umbreon could be an important part in swinging weather in your favor in what looks to be a weather centered game for a while.

The Umbreon set I prefer is

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Careful
252 HP 4 D 252 SpD
Synchronize
~Curse
~Payback
~Rest
~Sleep Talk

After 2 curses Umbreon is a pain in the ass to take down. Status are not a problem too.

It seems Umbreon doesn't learn Sleep Talk now, but anyway this can be made in 4th Generation games and imported

payback only has 16 pp and mono dark is a terrible attack type, which is why return is useful on a curse set since it has a lot of pp.

If only Umbreon had received Magic Mirror or Mischievous Heart or something. I was really hoping he would have some kind of niche in the new metagame, but unfortunately he received virtually nothing new to play with. This generation also seems to have given a sizable boost to offense, so his defensive capabilities are comparatively worse. :/

His most potent set in standard play is probably bulky pivot:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Nature: Careful
Ability: Synchronize
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Protect
- Yawn

You can come in on most non-boosted neutral hits early-game, and scout for switches with Baton Pass and Wish. Yawn forces switches, and stops the other player from checking it with strong U-turners (if you Protect the U-turn, nothing happens and they fall asleep). If it ever successfully puts something to sleep, it puts you in an amazing position: Baton Pass; if they stay in, you can bring in a counter to force it out/set up, and if they switch you can manipulate the match-up. Due to the way sleep works in this game, a Pokémon's sleep counter resets every time it switches out. Protect works well with Wish/Yawn. Late-game, Umbreon makes a good Wish Passer.

Inner Focus is probably a better ability for Mean Look-Passing sets. It means that if he traps something, he can Yawn without worrying about them inflicting status on themselves to prevent sleep.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Umbreon keeps getting staler and staler. With a gen filled to the brim with fighting pokemon and the even more offensive nature of gen 5, he`s ultimately going to lag behind. His Dream World ability is absolutely useless and he didn`t get anything remotely good.

Trap Passing sucks. I didn`t work in gen 4, and it`s not going to work in gen 5 either. At least he can finally be put to good use in the lower tiers...

payback only has 16 pp and mono dark is a terrible attack type, which is why return is useful on a curse set since it has a lot of pp.
That's not as much of a problem since he'll spend alot of time asleep so he will be useing Sleep Talk's PP rather then Payback's PP. Also Return gets utterly walled by Ghosts (though now with Justice Heart in Gen5, Dark can get walled too by select Poke).

Umbreon's problem in the old meta was he was forced into OU when he just isn't up for that level of play. He would have been great in UU. Perhaps with the new shuffling of tiers in Gen5 he might get into a tier better suited for him.

Terrible? You're saying Mono-Dark is terrible, when you're suggesting non-STAB mono-Normal? That's laughable, really. Nothing is immune to Dark, and it is resisted by Dark, Fighting, and Steel. Ghost is immune to Normal, and Rock and Steel resist it. Payback's 16 PP is patched by Sleep Talk's properties.

@ Murkglow: I believe it has been confirmed that Justice Heart doesn't grant an immunity, it just boosts Attack when hit by a Dark-type move.

Terrible? You're saying Mono-Dark is terrible, when you're suggesting non-STAB mono-Normal? That's laughable, really. Nothing is immune to Dark, and it is resisted by Dark, Fighting, and Steel. Ghost is immune to Normal, and Rock and Steel resist it. Payback's 16 PP is patched by Sleep Talk's properties.

I believe it has been confirmed that Justice Heart doesn't grant an immunity, it just boosts Attack when hit by a Dark-type move.
Justice Heart does grant an immunity...

Trap Passing sucks. I didn`t work in gen 4, and it`s not going to work in gen 5 either. At least he can finally be put to good use in the lower tiers...
Lolustupidorsometypeoffailatbattling. Trap passing = amazing.

A successful trap pass is amazing, and is definitely worth a touch of team support to try and pull off.

As I'm not a huge fan of the standard moves in the 4th slot on a trap pass set save protect. You're not going to be taunting much unless you intend to pass him speed; I'd rather run defensive EVs with a shallow pass intent (and possibly a boosting nature) since they can make quite a difference on Umbreon. Yawn has just never quite done it for me either, so I might try to throw cheer up (love this move!) in there on the off chance I have the chance to trap something that lets me pass it along. Just use a sweeper that could make the proper use of it as it could really save on setup time in certain instances and help said sweeper break the relevant wall.

I'm still going to use umbreon to bait taunt users an set-uppers, then switch to Erufuun and giggle as they get locked into whatever they were doing with a priority encore.

sadly I just can't see poor umbreon doing much else. Pokemon hit so hard now...with Ruhpushin and Ononokusu running about, not to mention base 130 attack hi-jump kick, he's going to have some real trouble.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunately, Umbreon hasn't changed at all this generation. Something tells me I'll be running my favourite set on him again:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Calm / Bold depending on what I feel like
- Mean Look
- Wish
- Baton Pass
- Double Team

Unfortunately, Trap Passing will remain as risky as ever.

Double team is an illegal move always.

Anyway, the mechanics of Wish have changed. Umbreon's wish passing will at least be more potent due to his high HP. Umbreon is still the bulkiest Eevee evolution, even though Vaporeon comes close, so he can still run wish pass just fine.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The rule about discussing banned Pokemon applies to attacks as well. Don't assume any moves will be banned this generation. I have seen no indication that we will be grandfathering OHKO and Evasion Clause into Generation V.

Wish is a slight improvement. Not as good as Vaporeon gets it of course, but definitely better than what he had before on it.

What about a Cheer Up set?

Umbreon: @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Mean Look
Yawn / Assist Power
Cheer Up
Baton Pass

By locking your foe in, and using Cheer Up, you force them into letting you boost your power. This is meant to be used with Toxic Spikes to deal damage while setting up, especially on Assist Power over Yawn sets. Since Assist Power is based off of how much your stats are raised, and is simultaneously boosted by Cheer Up, it should reach strong power in a couple of boosts.

Additionally, using Cheer Up allows you to pass to mixed, Special, and Physical sweepers, and there is no Speed loss compared to Curse; the cost is not getting a Defense boost which shouldn't matter in the long run since Umbreon will likely Baton Pass after the foe has attacked, due to low Speed, letting your teammate get in safely.

P.S. Imagine passing Cheer Up to "Simple" Kokoromori, whose STAB Psychic Assist Power would power up even faster thanks to Simple + STAB.

The rule about discussing banned Pokemon applies to attacks as well. Don't assume any moves will be banned this generation. I have seen no indication that we will be grandfathering OHKO and Evasion Clause into Generation V.

Wish is a slight improvement. Not as good as Vaporeon gets it of course, but definitely better than what he had before on it.
Actually the difference between Umbreon and Vaporeons wishes is only about 25 HP. Nothing too terrible. It's really a shame Umbreon and a lot of the other eeveelutions didn't get more this gen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)