Breloom

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

GRASS-FIGHT
60/130/80/60/60/70
Effect Spore: chance to inflict Paralysis, Sleep, or Poison Upon Contact.
Poison Heal: Heals 12% HP every turn when Poisoned.
Technician: Attacks with 60 Base Power or less receive a boost.

Shroomish: Lv1: Absorb, Lv5: Tackle, Lv9: Stun Spore, Lv13: Leech Seed, Lv17: Mega Drain, Lv21: Headbutt, Lv25: PoisonPowder, Lv29: Worry Seed, Lv33: Growth, Lv37: Giga Drain, Lv41: Seed Bomb, Lv45: Spore

Breloom: Lv1: Absorb, Lv1: Tackle, Lv1: Stun Spore, Lv1: Leech Seed, Lv5: Tackle, Lv9: Stun Spore, Lv13: Leech Seed, Lv17: Mega Drain, Lv21: Headbutt, Lv23: Mach Punch, Lv25: Counter, Lv29: Force Palm, Lv33: Sky Uppercut, Lv37: Mind Reader, Lv41: Seed Bomb, Lv45: DynamicPunc

Shroomish :
Fake Tears
Charm
Helping Hand
Worry Seed
Wake-Up Slap
Seed Bomb
Bullet Seed
Focus Punch
Natural Gift
Drain Punch

TM06 - Toxic, TM08 - Bulk Up, TM09 - Venom Shock, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM20 - Safeguard, TM21 - Frustration, TM22 - Solar Beam, TM27 - Return, TM31 - Brick Break, TM32 - Double Team, TM36 - Sludge Bomb, TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM47 - Ankle Sweep, TM48 - Troll, TM52 - Focus Blast, TM53 - Energy Ball, TM54 - False Swipe, TM56 - Fling, TM67 - Get Even, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM70 - Flash, TM71 - Stone Edge, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM83 - Cheer Up, TM86 - Grass Knot, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM04 - Strength

Spore
Mach Punch
Focus Punch
Seed Bomb
Bullet Seed
Stone Edge
Stun Spore
Leech Seed
Bulk Up
Swords Dance
Substitute
Sky Uppercut
Thunderpunch

Notes:

Spore: Arguably the best move in the game, and Breloom makes good use of it. 100% accurate Sleep is something only 2 other things can do. It's what makes the SubPunch Set so devastating.

Great Abilities: Poison Heal and Technician are some of the best abilities in the game. Poison Heal lets Breloom make more Subsititutes and Immunity to Status, while Technician makes Breloom an Avid revenge killer on par with Scizor.

Great Typing: The unique Grass/Fight combo gives Breloom nice resists to some of the most common attacking types in the game, including Boiling Water, Earthquake, Thunderbolt, Leaf Storm, Stone Edge, Stealth Rocks, and a neutrality to Bug. He has 5 weaknesses, but only 2 of them are common.

Slightly Disappointing Speed: 70 Base Speed isn't bad, but it's not outspeeding that much. With a little more speed, it could've been amazing, if not one of the best Pokemon around.

Possible Sets:

TechniLoom
Breloom @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed Adamant/Jolly
~Spore
~Mach Punch
~Bullet Seed
~Stone Edge

-Mach Punch for Technician Revenge-Killing.

-Bullet Seed after boosted by Technician will do much more damage, and if it manages to hit 3 times or more it'll do a lot of damage to anything.

-Stone Edge hits Shanderra SE who tries to ruin your Fun.

-Spore because, well, it's Spore.

Classic SubPuncher
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed Adamant
~Spore
~Substitiute
~Focus Punch
~Stone Edge / Seed Bomb

-Spore to help set-up.

-Substitute gives you protection from anything trying to kill you off.

-Focus Punch is extremely Powerful coming from 130 Attack and STAB.

-Stone Edge is mainly for Shanderra, however if you have a way to deal with him then Seed Bomb also become viable.

SubSeed
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Jolly
~Leech Seed
~Substitute
~Spore
~Focus Punch
Seven Deadly Sins said:
Breloom is probably one of the best leech seeders because once it gets that sub up it can choose to either Leech Seed or Focus Punch, and both are impressive.
Opinions?

Shanderaa will be scary if Breloom already used his spore and shanderaa expects a seed bomb. Breloom got a nice ability with technician but I'm unsure if that'll be used more than poison heal.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Breloom is all the more excellent this gen due to being able to smack the tight defensive core of Nattorei+Burunkeru for Super Effective STAB damage.

Technician is a fascinating new toy for our friend as well, Mach Punch hits hard and stops the likes of Cloyster dead in its tracks, as well as other frail/weakened sweepers. Bullet Seed got a nice buff and compliments Technician well, becoming a deadly move.

I predict him being a regular player, just like last gen.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No Leech Seed set? Son, I am disappoint. Breloom is probably one of the best leech seeders because once it gets that sub up it can choose to either Leech Seed or Focus Punch, and both are impressive.

I feel like the first set should be LO instead of CB simply because that makes better use of Spore. Since with this type of Breloom, your strategy would be switch into something you can threaten, sleep whomever they switch in and terrorize the rest. With spore on a CB, you are basically forced to switch after your first turn because of sleep clause. Also CB makes it set up fodder for shadow tag Shandera, where as a LO set can threaten it with a potential stone edge, thus discouraging it from +6ing and sweeping your whole team.

Honestly, Technician Breloom isn't as big as people are making it seem. Technician STAB Mach Punch is great, and Techy STAB Bullet Seed seems to be good at sub-breaking on paper, but aside from those two, I honestly see no reason to use Technician Breloom.

If I ever use Breloom competitively, it'll be as a SubPuncher.

Manaphy

No Leech Seed set? Son, I am disappoint. Breloom is probably one of the best leech seeders because once it gets that sub up it can choose to either Leech Seed or Focus Punch, and both are impressive.
Hey hey, let me get to it. :<

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Jolly
~Leech Seed
~Substitute
~Spore
~Focus Punch

I'll Slash in Life Orb on the CB Set.

maybe I'm crazy, but I could see technician breloom using wake-up slap to punish rest users and sleep absorbers. Maybe something like this

Breloom @ Life Orb
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe Adamant/Jolly
~Spore
~Wake-up slap
~Bullet Seed
~Stone Edge

A Technician Rock Tomb can have 75 Base Power only (it can be low compared with the 100 power of Stone Edge, and it is equally inaccurate) but it can allow Breloom to outspeed some switch ins, after it you can put some of them to sleep or end them with the next move (Mach Punch, Bullet Seed or other Rock Tomb), it is only my opinion but i think that it can work.

The pure SubSeed set is one of my favorites, but whereas before he could simply switch out of Ghosts after Seeding and Sporing them, he can't do that now against Shadow Tag Shanderaa, against which he'll be wasting turns Subbing and Sporing and Seeding while getting some damage with Leech Seed. Which might not be as bad as I'm thinking it to be.

Honestly, Technician Breloom isn't as big as people are making it seem. Technician STAB Mach Punch is great, and Techy STAB Bullet Seed seems to be good at sub-breaking on paper, but aside from those two, I honestly see no reason to use Technician Breloom.
What more reason does he need? I think you're underestimating the power of Bullet Seed if it gets 3-5 hits, especially if you have a Swords Dance boost. Assuming Adamant +2 Life Orb, just two hits from Bullet Seed can OHKO standard Blissey (87.7% - 103.6%). Now why you'd use Bullet Seed instead of Mach Punch against Blissey is beside the point. Speaking of Mach Punch, under those same circumstances, it can 2HKO Skarmory with Stealth Rocks. Pretty much the only thing Scizor has over Breloom is better typing and defenses, but I hear both of them make a pretty deadly 1 - 2 punch, so it's kind of a moot point if you use both.

Speaking of Swords Dance, this is the first set I thought of when I heard Breloom got Technician:

Breloom @Life Orb
Technician
Adamant
HP 252 / ATK 252 / SPE 4
-Swords Dance
-Mach Punch
-Bullet Seed
-Spore/Stone Edge

Come in on something you scare out, Spore the switch in, Swords Dance, unleash hell. Obviously it has it's problems like Starmie and Shanderaa, but once those roadblocks are removed (which Scizor or Ttar can do), Breloom is free to have some fun.

I think a core of Breloom + Bulky Water (Vaporeon?) + Scizor can be quite good since the work off of each others weaknesses quite well.

Technician Bullet Seed has an average Base Power of 112.5 before STAB and has atleast 75 Base Power making it a great STAB move. I still think movesets that involve Substitute are better because it makes Sporing so much easier and Shadow Tag Shanderaa can come in on a predicted Mach Punch and easily KO you with any Fire attack.

Sub sets still have a problem without Stone Edge but with Sub/Focus Punch/Stone Edge/Spore you can be very annoying and I think you can break the popular Burunkeru/Nattoreir core, even without a Grass attack.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Breloom is amazing in this gen... GF went out of there way to buff him.

First off, technician is a FANTASTIC ability on him. With Technician and STAB, Bullet seed reaches 56 BP per hit. To put it into perspective, you OHKO Shanderra with 3 hits after Stealth Rocks.

Techni-Punch (Technician Mach Punch) is also god send in this gen. Being able to take Doryuuzu, Sazando and anything with poor bulk is just awesome.

Please just get rid of CB technician. You will need to switch up your moves like... (EX: 4 Hit Bullet Seed + Mach Punch 2HKOes Latias.)
As for the last slot, you can thrown in Swords Dance. He can utterly dominate when he gets the chance to set one of them up.

And he STILL has the best move in the game (Spore).

Awesome.

I've never been a big fan of Breloom, but lately it seems like one of the only things that can consistently stop Doryuuzu. This seems to be one of it's largest strengths (revenge killing). Speaking of which, are there any other reliable counters/checks for Doryuuzu aside from Breloom?

Manaphy

Breloom is amazing in this gen... GF went out of there way to buff him.

First off, technician is a FANTASTIC ability on him. With Technician and STAB, Bullet seed reaches 56 BP per hit. To put it into perspective, you OHKO Shanderra with 3 hits after Stealth Rocks.

Techni-Punch (Technician Mach Punch) is also god send in this gen. Being able to take Doryuuzu, Sazando and anything with poor bulk is just awesome.

Please just get rid of CB technician. You will need to switch up your moves like... (EX: 4 Hit Bullet Seed + Mach Punch 2HKOes Latias.)
As for the last slot, you can thrown in Swords Dance. He can utterly dominate when he gets the chance to set one of them up.

And he STILL has the best move in the game (Spore).

Awesome.
Are you sure it's 56 Base Power per Bullet Seed hit? (25)1.5=37 (rounded down)

Also, changed Choice Band to just Life Orb.

Breloom was my favourite pokemon competitively.

So, the choice of Poison Heal or Techinician?

One major factor is Bullet seed.

There is a 3/10 chance for it to hit 2 or 3 times, 2/10 times for it to hit 4 or 5 times.
The average. Calculated without STAB and Technician, then added Technician.

50x3+75x3+100x2+125x2
=150+225+200+250
=825

Average = 82.5

2.5 over Seed Bomb.

Yeah, it's overhyped, and unreliable.

However, Technician Adamant Mach Punch vs Neutral 0/0 Doryuuzu

Regular Poison Heal Adamant Mach Punch vs Neutral 0/0 Doryuuzu

Someone calculate those (the computer I'm using right now is messed up)

Use Spinda for the calculation. Same Defense.

Manaphy

Breloom was my favourite pokemon competitively.

So, the choice of Poison Heal or Techinician?

One major factor is Bullet seed.

There is a 3/10 chance for it to hit 2 or 3 times, 2/10 times for it to hit 4 or 5 times.
The average. Calculated without STAB and Technician, then added Technician.

50x3+75x3+100x2+125x2
=150+225+200+250
=825

Average = 82.5

2.5 over Seed Bomb.

Yeah, it's overhyped, and unreliable.

However, Technician Adamant Mach Punch vs Neutral 0/0 Doryuuzu

Regular Poison Heal Adamant Mach Punch vs Neutral 0/0 Doryuuzu

Someone calculate those (the computer I'm using right now is messed up)

Use Spinda for the calculation. Same Defense.

I think your underestimating Bullet Seed. 2 hits and you have 75 power, 3 hits and your 111, 4 hits and your around 148 power, 5 and your 185... I think we know the superior choice.

Poison Heal should be restricted to Sets with Substitute only, as it can heal Sub damage in 2 turns, not to mention SubPuncher Breloom has no need for Mach Punch at all, he's not a revenge killer.

Literally the first pokemon I thought of as a safe counter to Doryuzuu when the speculation thread was up.

He will for sure be on my team alongside Scizor. I never knew Bullet Seed did so much, this'll be one of my top used pokemon next gen, especially like everyone said Buru/Natt combo has a hard time against it.

So many chances to switch in it'll be rediculous.

I've never been a big fan of Breloom, but lately it seems like one of the only things that can consistently stop Doryuuzu. This seems to be one of it's largest strengths (revenge killing). Speaking of which, are there any other reliable counters/checks for Doryuuzu aside from Breloom?
Hippowdon can take a +2 hit and hit it back with Earthquake as long as it isn't holding a Balloon. I haven't ran damage calcs, but Choice Band Azumarill and Roopushin should be able to do a ton of damage with Aqua Jet and Mach Punch, respectively. 4/min Randorosu can take a +2 Rock Slide and hit it with Earthquake. Bronzong and Skarmory should be able to take its attacks as well and either use Earthquake or Whirlwind, respectively.

Manaphy

Hippowdon can take a +2 hit and hit it back with Earthquake as long as it isn't holding a Balloon. I haven't ran damage calcs, but Choice Band Azumarill and Roopushin should be able to do a ton of damage with Aqua Jet and Mach Punch, respectively. 4/min Randorosu can take a +2 Rock Slide and hit it with Earthquake. Bronzong and Skarmory should be able to take its attacks as well and either use Earthquake or Whirlwind, respectively.
Way to completely rip apart Doryuuzu :P

Also, it seems you are alerted when your opponent has a Balloon on them.

To a lesser extent, if Scizor switches in on a Swords Dance, Dory will most likely stay and hit with Rock Slide, and if there isn't a flinch hax, it can knock it out with a Superpower.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To a lesser extent, if Scizor switches in on a Swords Dance, Dory will most likely stay and hit with Rock Slide, and if there isn't a flinch hax, it can knock it out with a Superpower.
Why hit it with Rock Slide when it can just KO immediately with STAB EQ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)