Breloom

Looks to me like you're not looking hard enough.

@The Voice of Reason: No I'm pretty sure that's correct, Breloom is one tough SOB, that's even stronger than Focus Punch potentially, and with similar coverage.

Life Orb technican set wants swords dance over stone edge tbh.

Stone Edge vs:
Gyara ohko'd by bullet seed
Skarm doesn't help much
Zapdos, outsped doesn't help
Gliscor bullet seed
Shandera outsped
Urugomosu outsped

those are the ones that come to mind. one paper stone edge looks like a great idea but in practice you would want to use the switches to SD or fire off a Focus Punch (which fuckin hurts with life orb and lets him beat zapdos).

Life Orb technican set wants swords dance over stone edge tbh.

Stone Edge vs:
Gyara ohko'd by bullet seed
Skarm doesn't help much
Zapdos, outsped doesn't help
Gliscor bullet seed
Shandera outsped
Urugomosu outsped

those are the ones that come to mind. one paper stone edge looks like a great idea but in practice you would want to use the switches to SD or fire off a Focus Punch (which fuckin hurts with life orb and lets him beat zapdos).
What's the point of using swords dance when you predict shandera is about to come in and end breloom? stone edge is there so you can hit them on the switch, thus eliminating potential counters for breloom.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Before anyone says "Shandera doesn't have Shadow Tag yet", the same logic could be applied for all of Breloom's potential counters. Without Stone Edge, Zapdos, Dragonite, Gyarados, and now quite possibly Salamence will be coming in without fear to ruin anything he could ever possibly do. Stone Edge would at least make them think twice about switching in and Ankle Sweep on the switch-in ensures that you'll be able to outspeed and KO them. Breloom isn't ever going to want Swords Dance unless he obtains a priority move that hits his Flying type counters.

I really dislike stone edge because of the horrible accuracy, so I'd prefer rock tomb any day (which even reduces the enemies speed by a third).

If for example a non-scarf zapdos would switch in, and you predicted it, and used rock tomb, he'd be slowed enough for you to be able to rock tomb him again.

So in many cases I think it's better than stone edge. Plus it's gimmicky fun.

What do you guys think about ankle sweep? Redundant, as it just deals 50% more damage than mach punch?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
What do you guys think about ankle sweep? Redundant, as it just deals 50% more damage than mach punch?
yeah especially ,because Mach Punch has priority already wich means it doesn`t cares about speed at all, though it might be a gimmicky option thanks to the boost of technician may sees some use on Cb sets since Brellom cant have Tecnican and Superpower and so its his hardest hitting option for fighting stab.

scarf breloom would still make a decent antilead right?
IMO, it's too early to postulate regarding lead sets. Leads function as foils to one another, and the metagame is too much in its infancy to theorymon regarding the impact that the likes of Espeon and Erufuun will have on the competitive metagame. My suspicion is that the very existence of those two will make traditional leads not only redundant, but active liabilities.

well there are already sites simulating b/w competitively right?

i would be interested seeing how scarfloom would fare as a fast spore would still be beneficial to make the early score 5-6

I really dislike stone edge because of the horrible accuracy, so I'd prefer rock tomb any day (which even reduces the enemies speed by a third).
This makes no sense. They have the same accuracy, but Stone Edge has twicethe base power of Rock Tomb (even with Technician, SE does more damage). I can understand appreciating the speed drop, though.

Oh sorry, hadn't noticed the low acc of rock tomb.

Assumed it was 100% acc cause gamefreak couldn't be so cruel as to make an already meh move even worse.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

If for example a non-scarf zapdos would switch in, and you predicted it, and used rock tomb, he'd be slowed enough for you to be able to rock tomb him again.

So in many cases I think it's better than stone edge. Plus it's gimmicky fun.

Uh, nope, not redundant at all. 50% is a lot, especially when you're face-to-face with a Blissey or anything else you'll want to just smack with a move right away. Ankle Sweep is an outright OHKO on standard max/max Def Blissey, while Mach Punch maxes out at 84%. If Blissey gets the chance to Flamethrower you, it could mean the game.

Also, like I said earlier, if a Flying type switches in to block for the inevitable fighting move, Breloom can follow up right away with Stone Edge. No predicting there, just attacking as you normally would with a decently strong move that has an invaluable effect to screw over your counters. It's not like Rock Tomb isn't a viable option, it's just that Ankle Sweep/Stone Edge is a much more potent combination, since it combines convenience with necessity.

Well, bullet seed does 22% - 26.1% each hit to Blissey, so it's a guaranteed 2HKO still, but Ankle Sweep has it's uses, as for SDLoom, I've tried it and found it pretty underwhelming, Stone Edge is the best option, he's still going to get shut down by things that are faster so I really don't get what Corrupted is going for, Stone Edge at least gives it a chance.

While TechniLoom could be used, I think SubPuncher/Leecher with Poison Heal will still be the superior choice. I honestly don't know why people are over hyping TechniLoom.

Seriously, Breloom is one of the cheaper Pokemon in the game... his only counters of Ariados and Hypno are not viable in the upper tiers, and even then he has Stone Edge and Seed Bomb to take them out respectively, or just SubSeed them to death. You simply cannot beat him without sacrificing a Pokemon to sleep >_> unless Gamefreak invents a Grass/Ghost type with Insonmia, which btw, blocks out nearly all his viable moves except Stone Edge, he is going to remain nearly uncounterable.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
While TechniLoom could be used, I think SubPuncher/Leecher with Poison Heal will still be the superior choice. I honestly don't know why people are over hyping TechniLoom.
Its all about his now powerful Mach Punch and i dont think Poison Heal will always be a superior choice as both serve different niches.

Techniloom is great because Mach Punch and bullet seed get incredible Power, it beats NatooGeru combos and still got his awesome Spore also it can revenge many threats with Mach Punch like Scizor does with Bullet Punch.

I think its not over hyping though technilooms usage will go down and the SubPuncher set will get more recognition once the meta game stables a bit.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Seriously, Breloom is one of the cheaper Pokemon in the game... his only counters of Ariados and Hypno are not viable in the upper tiers, and even then he has Stone Edge and Seed Bomb to take them out respectively, or just SubSeed them to death. You simply cannot beat him without sacrificing a Pokemon to sleep >_> unless Gamefreak invents a Grass/Ghost type with Insonmia, which btw, blocks out nearly all his viable moves except Stone Edge, he is going to remain nearly uncounterable.
You know, you may be onto something with that grass/ghost idea (maybe for the CAP project perhaps??). The concept could be like a "forest spirit" (what if gamefreak had made celebi part ghost instead of part psychic. She is sort of a forest spirit pokemon so it makes sense) pokemon or something like that.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dream World Technician Breloom has been incredibly underwhelming. It can get a revenge kill here and there with Mach Punch, but this thing is too damn slow for its own good.

Spore/Sub/Focus Punch/filler (usually Stone Edge or Seed Bomb) @Poison Heal and Toxic Orb is still this thing's best moveset.

Virizion (the new Grass/Fighting type) is much better than Breloom, it is faster, it learns Close Combat and Leaf Blade, and it can actually take a special hit with its 91/72/129 defenses. I don't see Breloom getting as much use in this gen, it's not Scizor like everyone is trying to use it as. It will probably still be OU for a while since people seem to be stuck in this "OMG PRIORITY" mode from DPP, but I haven't had any issues with it yet.

I don't see Breloom getting as much use in this gen
What made Breloom great (and still makes it great) is spore. That plus its sub-puncher set will definatly keep it in play. As long as it still has Spore + Sub/Poison heal I don't see the new Grass/Fighting guy taking his spot.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I have to disagree with Substitute and Focus Punch being better than Technician Breloom. I use mine with Life Orb, and it will KO just about anything weak to Fighting without having to set up a Substitute, which is hard for Breloom once it has already put something to sleep. Mach Punch most notably keeps Doryuuza, Sazandora, and Terakion at bay. Even neutral hits can be killer and 2HKO Pokemon with hazards, all while being faster.

Has anyone gone with a Choice Band set?
I was running this in Ubers and it worked pretty well

Scizor 2.0
Breloom @ Choice Band
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk/252 HP/4 Spe
-Spore
-Mach Punch
-Drain Punch/Focus Punch
-Bullet Seed

I find that Mach Punch works better than Scizor's Bullet Punch. Although Breloom doesn't have U-Turn like Scizor, it does have Spore for when you know the opponent is going to switch.

Has anyone gone with a Choice Band set?
I was running this in Ubers and it worked pretty well

Scizor 2.0
Breloom @ Choice Band
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk/252 HP/4 Spe
-Spore
-Mach Punch
-Drain Punch
-Seed Bomb

I find that Mach Punch works better than Scizor's Bullet Punch. Although Breloom doesn't have U-Turn like Scizor, it does have Spore for when you know the opponent is going to switch.
You want focus punch over drain punch to hit stuff like zapdos hard on the switch.. if not then stone edge/rock tomb. Breloom doesnt really need the healing drain punch provides and you will rarely use it. Also, isnt bullet seed superior to seed bomb now?

You want focus punch over drain punch to hit stuff like zapdos hard on the switch.. if not then stone edge/rock tomb. Breloom doesnt really need the healing drain punch provides and you will rarely use it. Also, isnt bullet seed superior to seed bomb now?
I see what you mean. I'm not sure, but I've always preferred Seed Bomb. I'll edit that to make it an option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)