B&W Research Thread

In gen 4, when catching dittos, if Ditto transformed into a water or bug pokemon, a net ball was effective at catching it.

I just tried this little trick and I'm not sure it works that way anymore (considering the lvl 63 ditto that had transformed into a golduck broke out of the net ball immediately twice, when an ultra ball caught it first try. It was in red health, no status).

Can anyone else verify this?

Also, I don't think any stat changes done before he transforms apply to Ditto after he transforms. Though he'll probably only be used with his DW ability, still not bad to know.
Ditto copies the catch rate and typing, so I think it was just a coincidence. I can't prove it, though.

When using amulet coin. The pokémon holding the item does not have to be on the field as the opponent is defeated to gain the extra money. It does however need to be on the field at least once during the battle.

Regeneration does not heal if the pokémon is transfered in to the pokéball because all oponing pokémon fainted (winning the battle).

edit: I have not tried amulet coin with pay day. It is therefore not confirmed if the amulet coin boost will double the extra money even if the holder of amulet coin is NOT the same as the user of pay day.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if this was known or not, but Hidden Power Electric no longer activates Motor Drive, by virtue of (I guess) technically being a Normal-type move that deals Electric-type damage. It didn't raise Electivire's speed when I hit it, and it actually did damage.

breh

強いだね
I don't know if this was known or not, but Hidden Power Electric no longer activates Motor Drive, by virtue of (I guess) technically being a Normal-type move that deals Electric-type damage. It didn't raise Electivire's speed when I hit it, and it actually did damage.
What about volt absorb, flash fire, water absorb, storm drain, herbivore, uhh... justice heart?

etc.

so if HP elec isn't stopped by motor drive/etc, by virtue of being normal type, does that mean ghost types are immune to all hidden power types?

Attacked a Motor Drive Electivire with Hidden Power Electric and it received the speed boost. Syberia probably faced a Vital Spirit Electivire.

breh

強いだね
for one: why were you guys using vire to test this? shoulda used zebaruika :P

for two:

Imagine the following situations:

A banette (PokeA, for my purposes) at 1 hp partnered with a mamanbou (PokeB, for my purposes) with healing beam are going against another banette that is not at full health (PokeC, for my purposes) and a bidoof which is not at full health(unimportant).

PokeC uses Shadow Sneak against PokeA, KOing it. Then, PokeB uses Healing Beam. does it fail, hit PokeC, or hit bidoof?

Basically what happens with healing beam when it has no target?

Oh and a smaller question:

What exactly does Embargo do in this generation? Does it prevent held item use on a pokemon or only held item activation (I.E. Expert Belt vs. Salac Berry)?

I tested this as well, used a HP Electric Ulgamoth against two wild Zeburaika and it activate the two abilities. So seconding user 'dbolt" Syberia probably faced a vital spirit Electivire or something poor hacked if it was on wi-fi battles.

A frozen pokemon that uses Boiling Water can thaw itself out. Has anyone else ran into this? Didn't see it in the analysis or the OP so I thought it was worth mentioning. Peace

edit: @Jibaku my bad

Alright since that has been established, got anything on the actual subject of the post? Can Boiling Water thaw out a frozen pokemon when it tries to use the move? Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

I'd like the Oath moves to be tested.

1. Do they have to be in order? Like, does Fire have to come before Water to make a rainbow, or can they just be used in any combination?

2. How long do the effects last?

3. Are there any exceptions to what moves the rainbow boosts effect accuracy?

My save file died the other day, so I cant test this myself. :C

DeagleBeagle

Banned deucer.
How much does A capella raise in power for each additional pokemon on your team that has it? Maybe someone could research that.

Alright since that has been established, got anything on the actual subject of the post? Can Boiling Water thaw out a frozen pokemon when it tries to use the move? Thanks, sorry for the confusion.
If a pokemon uses boiling water while frozen, it automatically thaws out before using the move.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Was it ever figured out why does Frozen World's effect is different from the one Icy Wind has according to the data, even though both moves supposedly do the exact same thing?

Given that explosion was nerfed, can anybody confirm if explosion is still reduced the same in doubles/triples? It's plausible that the effect may have been changed to compensate, because then explosion would be a relatively useless 62.5 base power Normal move.

3. Are there any exceptions to what moves the rainbow boosts effect accuracy?
The rainbow doubles the chance of a secondary effect occuring (does not boost accuracy as far as I know), so anything that has a programmed chance of a secondary effect has double that chance with your rainbow on the field. It's the same as giving all of your pokemon serene grace. Everything boosted by encourage gets the chance doubled (except for all of the pokemon with encourage, obviously).

...explosion would be a relatively useless 62.5 base power Normal move.
Explosion is still 250 base power, it just loses the effect of halving the opponent's defense. In doubles/triples, when it's hitting more than one pokemon, the damage is multiplied by 3/4, not 1/4.

Explosion is still 250 base power, it just loses the effect of halving the opponent's defense. In doubles/triples, when it's hitting more than one pokemon, the damage is multiplied by 3/4, not 1/4.
Ok, that makes much more sense! It still seems compeitively viable, even with the defense-halving nerf still in effect. Sorry if this should have gone in the Q&A thread.

Do the elemental jewels ignore stat boosts? I think this needs to be researched as on PO, it does. If it already has been researched, then can someone please tell me if it does ignore stat boosts or not.

Here's how I know it does on PO. I used Terakion+Erufuun Beat up with a life orb and with a rock jewel. Against the same foe, Rock Slide did less damage with the rock jewel +4 atk than the life orb +4 atk. It did about 33% or something vs. Burungeru with the jewel whereas it did about 60 some % with the LO.

DeagleBeagle

Banned deucer.
Was it ever figured out why does Frozen World's effect is different from the one Icy Wind has according to the data, even though both moves supposedly do the exact same thing?
Frozen world I thought lowered the foe's speed harshly, not just one stage. So it should be different than icy wind, that is the whole point of using it.

Frozen world I thought lowered the foe's speed harshly, not just one stage. So it should be different than icy wind, that is the whole point of using it.
Frozen World has no chance to freeze (after 96 tests, 0 freezes), lowers speed by one stage (stopped lowering after 6 lowerings), and in doubles and triples targets all adjacent opponents, like Rock Slide. That appears to be its entire effect. It seems it IS just a buffed Icy Wind.

So including Genosekuto and Techno Buster, that's two things that got gimped in the signature moves department.
Death Phenomeno, nothing to show why Frozen World has a different effect than Icy Wind in the coding has been shown.
Edit: Ahh, more proof.
For anyone who thinks Frozen World sharply lowers the foe's speed (aka -2 speed), you can throw that idea out of the window because Frozen World actually lowers the foe's speed 1 stage only! What a shame.

Used for testing:
_a Kyurem with Frozen World (153 Speed);
_against a Smeargle (249 Speed);

Expected results for Smeargle's speed:
_at -1 speed: 166 Speed (still faster than Kyurem);
_at -2 speed: 124 Speed (thus being slower than Kyurem).

_Smeargle used Covet
(Kyurem took damage)
_Kyurem used Frozen World
(Smeargle took damage)
Smeargle's Speed fell! (that wasn't looking good already, and the flavor text definitely wasn't harshly fell but simply fell...)

Next Turn Smeargle still moved first (no priority move), so we can conclude that Frozen World lowers the foe's speed one stage only, and the fact that Frozen World is really Icy Wind with just 10 more BP...
Thanks, MeroMero again, as he showed more evidence against the chance of freezing.
Tested that 50 times against a Blissey (max elixirs helped here):
_the first 6 ones lowered Blissey's speed (definitely -1 speed per hit :/ sorry Mario With Lasers);
_the others did nothing BUT damage (no secondary effect like freeze)

Charmeleon, I hope you mean Explosion is still viable without the halving in effect, as you said it's still viable with the halving in effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)