Water the Exorcists

Introductions :
Well, i wanted to actually tested out the Rain in this Generation V OU Metagame. Drizzle and Drought is getting really Popular around here right now, so i think i will tested it out. I used to play with a SandStorm Team, so i think a changed might be a good idea. I have created a Team, and tested it around since yesterday, and been playing several games, and is able to put an opposing unprepared team with ease (i just noticed that SandStorm Team is not that hard to deal with since i'm trying this team). But also, i've found my own weaknesses. Ferrothorn and Chansey. I hope this RMT could fix my problem, so here presents you guys with my "Rain RMT Thread"

Team At Glance

The Team Making Process

The first time this team is Build, there's 2 Pokemon which i put in. The first one beeing Latias, my Favourite Pokemon ( well, i used Latios alot in the beginning of the Gen 4 Games, but since it is banned, i stick around with Latias alot, even after The Gen V is starting, i still stick around with Latias ) , and then Politoed, the Key of every Rain Team today.

Looking at a Rain Team, a Sweeper that could take advantages of it IS Scizor. I am currently looking for other Sweepers of the Rain, but i think a Scizor could fit well, so i ended up with this guy.

Next, i need an Entry Hazards. The Entry Hazard Abusers which is the most popular by now is : Ferrothorn. So i go with it, trying out it's set. Alot of thing happen, and i put in Suicune inside. So the two of them is sticked in.

Everyone need Weather Abusers in Weather Team. There's 2 Abusers which came in my Mind, which is Dragonite and Raikou. I'm currently Testing out Raikou, and i don't think that it is good enough

Team At Glance

In Depth Looks

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature - Drizzle
252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Surf
- HP Grass
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

I can't afford a misses in my First Turn, so Surf is there. Quite Simple, and is a universal sets. Politoed will help me in my First Turn, with an Incredible Power to break the enemies. If i am facing another Weather Team, i kept this guy on the Lead Spots. Then, i will see what is my Enemies using. If it is a Weather Summoner, and when i think i am Faster then it, then i will try to KO it, then switch out. But if it is not a Weather Summoner but in fact a Pokemon trying to Knock me Out, then i will switch. Not much of role here except for Physical Wall Breaking and Rain Support. So let us move on to the next one

Toxicroak @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature - Dry Skin
248 Hp / 252 Atk/ 8 Spe
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

It is used to be a Latias here, but Bulk Up Toxicroak replaced it as a lot of people reccomended since i have a huge problem with Ferrothorn. Bulk Up + Substitute is incredible, beeing able to set up in front of Ferrothorn and wreck opponen'ts team with ease, as it recovers a lot of HP using the Leftovers-DrySkin-DrainPunch combos. Still in test, and need to test mnore. But i guess it coould fit well :)

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature - Techinician
244 Hp - 40 Atk - 8 Spe - 216 SpD
- Sword Dances
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

A Bulky Dancer, act as an incredible Sweeper, easily getting +4 with ease and start sweeping with Bullet Punch. If the situations is supportive, i will usually try to get a +6 and Roost of the Damages first. But, if it is not, then i will go on and sweep. Scizor is a really supportive and covering Sweeper, a late Game Sweeper in this team. Bug Bite is there to gave me a Stab Cover here. But since Scizor is relatively Slow, i believe that Bullet Punch is the only moves that i often use. I think Brick Break could do well, or maybe Super Power. I need help in this coverages moves change in Bug Bite.

Tornadus @ Life Orb
Naive Nature - Prankster
32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe (30IV in Speed)
- Hidden Power Ice
- Hurricane
- Hammer Arm
- Taunt

Tornadus, one of the Abusers of the Rain. It replace a Crocune in this slot as Crocune is pretty much walled today, with Ferrothorn around (in the last generation, water absorb). I use the Mixed Sets since i think it as the better sets. 32 Ev investment is not a really big deal, if it is considered over the Focus Blast's frail accuracy. Hidden Power is in for much of coverage moves, when Hurricane is used for it's primary stab moves. Hammer Arm for Blissey, Chansey, Ferrothorn, and the other, when Taunt is going to shut them off. Firstly, i am trying to use the specs, but i don't feel like it. If i'm using a Specs, i'm afraid of beeing Locked and Pwned. so here it is, I present you with : Tornadus

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature - Iron Barbs
252 Hp / 48 Def / 208 SpD
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

A Decent Spiker. I couldn't find any reasons of why does this guy is being overrated ?? But i will praise it for it's ability to set up 3 layer of Spikes easily and Leech Seed it's enemy with ease. But most of them will end up switching. Gyro Ball's PP is also very limited, with only 8(MAX), i could be easily forced to only use Protect for the rest of the match. Ferrothorn also cannot take care of it's kind, an opposing Ferrothorn.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Timid Nature - Prankster
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunder
- HP Ice
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt

Not really sure how to use this guy properly, and how the sweeping goes trough as i haven't test it much, since it is pretty much walled in the test. But i guess a fast sweeper with Taunt and Nasty Plot under it's belt should be fine. So here it goes, the Thundurus :). Thunudurus, with a unique typing of Flying and Electr, leaving it only with 1 weakness, is an incredible asset to the metagame. With Access to Nasty Plot, it could sweep trough well in the late game, when the Taunt (over FocusBlast) is to get Stall out of the game. I've consider it, but i guess Taunt is much better then the Focus Blast's accuracy.

That is my **very imperfect team**, which need a lot of work to do. Hope you guys could give me some nice Rate ^^

Last Editted :
May 14 - All times are GMT +7. The time now is 8:41:47 AM. - Changed Politoed EV from 252Spe to 252Hp
May 14 - All times are GMT +7. The time now is 8:52:58 AM. - Changed Latias's Sets from Choice Specs to Defensive CM
May 18 - All times are GMT +7. The time now is 7:23:58 AM. - Switch Raikou, Latias, and Suicune into Thundurus, Toxicroak, Tornadus​

Hey got your vm nice team.
I use a similar politoed set, but I would run 252 hp instead of speed Evs simply to increase his survivability as he is the key to the team. It also means that he is slower and if both teams lead with weather starters the slower poke gets up their weather and you can put pressure on the opponent to the first few turns. Also on latias as a choice specs user latios is far superior althoughhe may be getting banned soon. However as latias is your favourite pokemon you should keep him and run a calm mind set or another just look at his analysis or thread in dragonspiral tower for some ideas.
As you have trouble with ferrothorn I would consider superpower over roost on Scizor as a +2 superpower will Ohko it most of the time however not having roost will reduce your survivability. If are really having trouble with him try out this guy he is a monster once set up.

Toxicroak @ leftovers
Trait: dry skin
Evs: 248 hp/ 252 Atk/ 8 spe
Nature: adamant (+ Atk - spa)
- bulk up
- substitute
- drain punch
- sucker punch

Switch in on a ferrothorn sub up If they might thunderwave then bulk up to boost your attack and defines so your subs annoy be broken by gyro ball. Dry skin and leftovers means you are getting 3/16 of your health back every turn and drain punch means you can go from red health to full health in one turn. Sucker punch is priority and also ko's reuniclus at +3 attack who thinks he can take advantage of your 4x psychic weakness.
Together dark and fighting is only resisted by heracross who isn't very often seen and other toxicroak which is why you are running 8 speed Evs to outspeed them and win those match ups. Once set up this guy is a juggernaut and sweeps entire teams.
On ferrothorn I would consider power whip over protect as your team has no grass type moves or thunder wave to paralyse threats and allow Scizor to set up easier.
On the matter of raikou there are a few alternatives, a thundurus set with thunder and hammer arm for mixed sweeping and to handle blissey would be useful, also dragonite could be considered with hurricane and thunder which both have 100% accuracy under weather. Finally rotom w would fit in well on your team with hydro pump getting a boost and the option of thunder. You could run a bulky set with leftovers or choice scarf/specs set with trick to cripple blissey and chansey who could cause your team some problems.
Anyway I hope this helps and good luck with the team.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lightning rod zapdos is very potent in this meta, offering two immunities and a slew of resistances + stab thunder. Sub/roost with HP ice and thunder is a pretty good set. It would help with some of the pokemon that switch into ferrothorn for free, such as breloom, probably better than raikou.

Set up sweepers will do a heavy number to your team, dd gyara, ddnite, and they all can set up reasonably safely on your ferrothorn. Despite ferrothorn offering numerous resistances and spikes one must consider the offensive nature of your team, so perhaps a rotom-w with a move set of thunder / hydro pump / pain split and will-o-wisp would suit your team better, furthermore if your team keeps up constant pressure they will not have a chance to set up anyway.

I suggest changing calm mind on your suicune to roar as crocune is too easily walled nowadays and it also alleviates any possible chance for set up by your opponents whilst still giving you a check to opposing sun teams' victini and fire type attacks, and leaving you a sleep / status absorber.

Hydro pump is better on a specs set than surf for politoed, simply because of the pure power. although, your team is very reliant on weather so either you must play with politioed very well or you may want to consider a defensive variant with rest / scald / encore / toxic.

Hey got your vm nice team.
I use a similar politoed set, but I would run 252 hp instead of speed Evs simply to increase his survivability as he is the key to the team. It also means that he is slower and if both teams lead with weather starters the slower poke gets up their weather and you can put pressure on the opponent to the first few turns. Also on latias as a choice specs user latios is far superior althoughhe may be getting banned soon. However as latias is your favourite pokemon you should keep him and run a calm mind set or another just look at his analysis or thread in dragonspiral tower for some ideas.
As you have trouble with ferrothorn I would consider superpower over roost on Scizor as a +2 superpower will Ohko it most of the time however not having roost will reduce your survivability. If are really having trouble with him try out this guy he is a monster once set up.

Toxicroak @ leftovers
Trait: dry skin
Evs: 248 hp/ 252 Atk/ 8 spe
Nature: adamant (+ Atk - spa)
- bulk up
- substitute
- drain punch
- sucker punch

Switch in on a ferrothorn sub up If they might thunderwave then bulk up to boost your attack and defines so your subs annoy be broken by gyro ball. Dry skin and leftovers means you are getting 3/16 of your health back every turn and drain punch means you can go from red health to full health in one turn. Sucker punch is priority and also ko's reuniclus at +3 attack who thinks he can take advantage of your 4x psychic weakness.
Together dark and fighting is only resisted by heracross who isn't very often seen and other toxicroak which is why you are running 8 speed Evs to outspeed them and win those match ups. Once set up this guy is a juggernaut and sweeps entire teams.
On ferrothorn I would consider power whip over protect as your team has no grass type moves or thunder wave to paralyse threats and allow Scizor to set up easier.
On the matter of raikou there are a few alternatives, a thundurus set with thunder and hammer arm for mixed sweeping and to handle blissey would be useful, also dragonite could be considered with hurricane and thunder which both have 100% accuracy under weather. Finally rotom w would fit in well on your team with hydro pump getting a boost and the option of thunder. You could run a bulky set with leftovers or choice scarf/specs set with trick to cripple blissey and chansey who could cause your team some problems.
Anyway I hope this helps and good luck with the team.
Lightning rod zapdos is very potent in this meta, offering two immunities and a slew of resistances + stab thunder. Sub/roost with HP ice and thunder is a pretty good set. It would help with some of the pokemon that switch into ferrothorn for free, such as breloom, probably better than raikou.

Set up sweepers will do a heavy number to your team, dd gyara, ddnite, and they all can set up reasonably safely on your ferrothorn. Despite ferrothorn offering numerous resistances and spikes one must consider the offensive nature of your team, so perhaps a rotom-w with a move set of thunder / hydro pump / pain split and will-o-wisp would suit your team better, furthermore if your team keeps up constant pressure they will not have a chance to set up anyway.

I suggest changing calm mind on your suicune to roar as crocune is too easily walled nowadays and it also alleviates any possible chance for set up by your opponents whilst still giving you a check to opposing sun teams' victini and fire type attacks, and leaving you a sleep / status absorber.

Hydro pump is better on a specs set than surf for politoed, simply because of the pure power. although, your team is very reliant on weather so either you must play with politioed very well or you may want to consider a defensive variant with rest / scald / encore / toxic.
Thanks both of you, i will try both of your suggestions ^^
Btw about Toxicroak, is there anything left ?? Maybe beside Toxicroak, is there any other Sweeper which could do as well ??
And for the Lightningrod Zapdos, i think it is not release yet, and thus can only be used in DW, am i wrong ??

Let me start by saying I agree 100% with the zapdos suggestion. A permanent ground immunity, greater bulk, and recovery make it too good to pass up imo.

Have you tried a more offensive CM suicune?
Water Absorb (you can use this ability with the set im suggesting); @ Leftovers
Bold/ Modest; 28 Hp/ 252 Sp. Atk./ 232 Spe.
CM
Surf/ Scald
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Electric/ Grass
-this set give your bulky water much more of an offensive presence allowing you to keep the pressure up instead of losing a couple turns for a set up. Crocune is just too countered in my experience and this set lets you take many opponents by surprise. The ev's are to always outspeed breloom regardless of set so long as its speed isn't boosted allowing for an ice beam ko on all common sets. Surf vs. Scald is power to status preference, but keep in mind this is a more offensively oriented suicune. HP electric severely dents skarmory switchins that may attempt a phase while hp grass deals with unaware quagsire very well.
----------

Also, a pokemon that all rain teams have to be able to handle is ferrothorn which is extremely difficult thanks to fire attacks losing so much power in the rain. It quite literally walls everything you have except for scizor (if you remove raikou). As a way to deal with it I suggest a standard sub bulk up drain punch toxicroak. This thing sets up on ferrothorn for nearly free (just fear thunderwave) and murders the thing. This will open a door for your pokemon to actaully hit things they can kill. I would say drop latias & raikou and add toxicroak & zapdos or perhaps thunderus/ tornadus as two ways to deal with ferrothorns.

Also, a pokemon that all rain teams have to be able to handle is ferrothorn which is extremely difficult thanks to fire attacks losing so much power in the rain. It quite literally walls everything you have except for scizor (if you remove raikou). As a way to deal with it I suggest a standard sub bulk up drain punch toxicroak. This thing sets up on ferrothorn for nearly free (just fear thunderwave) and murders the thing. This will open a door for your pokemon to actaully hit things they can kill. I would say drop latias & raikou and add toxicroak & zapdos or perhaps thunderus/ tornadus as two ways to deal with ferrothorns.
Thanks for the Rate bro ^^

Btw, e few quetions, if i put a Thundurus in, which sets will probably better ??

I tried Zapdos (pressure) already, but it still have the lacks of Raw Power. I will soon try Toxicroak in, and see if it could deal well with Ferrothorn. FOr the Suicune, if i am running a Standard Calm Mind with 3 Attacks, i think there's alot of more Pokemon who can take his job, like Togekiss maybe (in my opinnion, which i haven't tried yet), and i will tryi it.

Thanks Again ^^

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi, i'm not of a team rater but here goes nothing.

-Change Specs Politoed's moveset, you want to abuse Hydro Pump and its ridiculously high base power in the rain. Also you don't want to run speed on Politoed, instead running max HP is preferred to tank powerful hits. You never know when you'll need Politoed to take a hit. Besides those speed evs don't do anything!

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature - Drizzle
252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

My second recommendation is to use Thundurus over Raikou. Both are sweepers, but Thundurus is stronger, has a better typing and faster too. Nasty Plot Thundurus is extremely difficult to counter and it can lure out & take out opposing Tyranitars.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Timid Nature - Prankster
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Finally, i'd recommend running Tornadus over Suicune. Suicune isn't really doing much for your team (its underwhelming in this metagame) and I consider Tornadus to be a must have on all rain teams. It wields incredible power, and it wrecks opposing sand teams.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature - Prankster
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Hurricane
- Hammer Arm
- Rain Dance
- U-turn

Hope I helped.

Hi, i'm not of a team rater but here goes nothing.

-Change Specs Politoed's moveset, you want to abuse Hydro Pump and its ridiculously high base power in the rain. Also you don't want to run speed on Politoed, instead running max HP is preferred to tank powerful hits. You never know when you'll need Politoed to take a hit. Besides those speed evs don't do anything!

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature - Drizzle
252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

My second recommendation is to use Thundurus over Raikou. Both are sweepers, but Thundurus is stronger, has a better typing and faster too. Nasty Plot Thundurus is extremely difficult to counter and it can lure out & take out opposing Tyranitars.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Timid Nature - Prankster
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Finally, i'd recommend running Tornadus over Suicune. Suicune isn't really doing much for your team (its underwhelming in this metagame) and I consider Tornadus to be a must have on all rain teams. It wields incredible power, and it wrecks opposing sand teams.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature - Prankster
4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Hurricane
- Hammer Arm
- Rain Dance
- U-turn

Hope I helped.
Thanks for the Rates pal ^^
I will consider in using those ^^

I think running Thundurus over Raikou and Scarfed Terakion over Suicune might be a good idea. I will try them (i just realize about Scarfed Terrakion lol)

The biggest problem of your team, IMO, is that your set up sweepers are blocked by a lot of things.

Scizor is blocked by Heatran, for example
Suicune is blocked by water absorbers + disable users
Latias is blocked by disable users.

And its not like, say, a Doryuuzu vs. Skarmory scenario. Doryuuzu can deal SOME damage, at least, weakening it and making it suscetible to other mons.

What I would do:
-Toxicroak over Suicune, as nothing on your team pose an immediate threat to Natto.
-Bulky Zapdos (with TWave/HP-Ice/Tbolt/Roost) over Raikou, to absorb electric moves while still being able to take Thundurus down.
-Surf + Psychic + DPulse + Recover Timid LOLatios over your Latias.

Toxicroak is the ULTIMATE ferrothorn counter in the rain. With stab drain Punch and sub+Bulk up it cant do practically anything to you after a sub and 3 bulk ups which is really easy to do. If they have Twave use sub, and they don't use bulk up. It takes 3 bulk up's to let gyro ball not break a sub(which wont be used with twave so you can just freely Bulk up) and l think power whip wont break after 1 BU. speak from expirence. Croak is awesome in patching up my ferrothorn weakness. I second NP Thunderous OR Specs Tornadus. Hurricane span 2HKO's so much and OHKO so much more. Even steel switch ins get punished being threatened by a 2HKO or being severly harmed at a little above half.

Team Updated, there's a major change here, please feel free to rate it ^^

Then, i'm feeling to change the Ferrothorn. Is there any recommendation about Entry Hazard User which could replace it jobs ?? I think a Stealth Rock user is much more appreciated then the Spikes User :)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you want to replace Ferrothorn, definitely do so with Forretress and give it rapid spin, as two of your powerhouses are weak to Stealth Rock. Set would be SR, Rapid Spin, filler, filler.

For thundurus if you really want a pokemon that can pull of a taunt i would go with gliscor because for one he has great synergy with scizor and can also set up a stealth rock which helps damage in coming pokemon if you have already set up spikes from ferrothorn. You could also use a tyranitar set which can set up stealth rock because it will scare of a lot of people so that would be easy damage. he could also taunt and set up a sandstorm which would be beneficial to him scizor and ferrothorn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)