Sceptile

Base Stats: 70 HP / 85 ATK / 65 Def / 105 SpAtk / 85 SpDef / 120 Spe
Abilities: Overgrow: Raises the power of Grass-type moves 50% when at 1/3 HP or less.
Unburden: Unburden doubles the Pokémon's Speed stat when the Pokémon's held item is lost. If there is no held item to begin with or if a held item is traded for another, Unburden will not be activated.

Hey it's Sceptile, my favorite starter! The little green lizard got a new toy from the dream world recently, Unburden. This may not seem too improtant, as Sceptile outspeeds just about everything in the tier not scarfed, but with its diverse movepool, great Special Attack and feasible Attack stats, Sceptile can be a huge threat in UU

Here are some sample sets

New Physical Sceppy
Sceptile@Grass Gem
Ability: Unburden
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Hp/252 Atk/4 Spe
Swords Dance
Leafblade
Acrobatics
Earthquake

Okok before you scoff at the odd EV spread, think about the ability, Unburden. With an Adamant Nature and 4 Spe EVs, thanks to its natural lighning speed, Sceptile reaches 277 Speed. Leafblade with the Grass gem both activates the ability, giving Sceptile 554 Speed and packs a punch. Now you outspeed everything, and can sweep with a base 110 Acrobatics, EQ, and SD. Max Attack EVs are needed to pack the most punch, and the remaining EVs into HP to add to his sub-par defences, to make him live longer.

Special Sceppy
Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Timid
Evs: 252 Sp Atk/252 Spe/4HP
Leaf Storm
Giga Drain
HP Ice/Fire
Focas Blast

This set is an old set using Sceptile's wonderful base 105 Special Attack. Overgrow over Unburden because Life orb wont go away, and Timid to be super fast. Evs are pretty self-explanatory. Leaf Storm is great for revenge killing and hitting things hard, the boosted base 75 power Giga Drain is a great way to heal off some LO recoil and hit things, and HP Ice or Fire and FB are for coverage.

These are just two Sceptile sets, and with its wide movepool there are many more, including subseeder and mixed attacking sets. Discuss the Forest Pokemon

I'm somewhat skeptical whether the Unburden+SD set will work. You need two turns of setup, and switching out basically makes you death fodder. I really liked the SD set in gen 4 UU though.

I prefer..

Sceptile@Cell Battery
Ability: Unburden
Nature: Adamant
EVs ??? HP / 252 Atk / ??? Spd
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Acrobatics
-Earthquake

High risk high reward kind of pokemon. If you can manage to come in on an electric attack late game and set up an SD on the switch or something, you'll be at double speed and +3 attack.

The Sceptile set I tend to run looks something like this:

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 28 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 224 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

Basically, it's a mixed revenge killer. Earthquake and HP Fire tend to take a lot of people by surprise. When I switch Sceptile in on a resist like Earthquake, a lot of people switch expecting Leaf Storm, so I just Dragon Pulse for (usually) solid damage.

I'm somewhat skeptical whether the Unburden+SD set will work. You need two turns of setup, and switching out basically makes you death fodder. I really liked the SD set in gen 4 UU though.
Well I think of it as one turn of set up, because a Grass Gem boosted Leaf Blade will hurt anything that doesn't resist it

It seems like so much has changed for Sceptile this gen...

I remember Sceppy was a top tier threat with fast speed and sweeping potential. Now in gen 5 I haven't seen him on a team once. If only it could have gotten a more useful ability than Unburden =/

Still, with screens or proper support I can see the SD set possibly working, just make sure Mamo and Chansey are dead before you start your sweep.

Lol I used a very different set on one of my OU teams that was fairly successful

Sceptile@Choice Scarf
EVs: 252. Sp Atk/252 Spe /4HP
-Focas Blast
-HP Ice
-Leaf Storm
-Giga Drain

A scarf? Yes please!

Scarf Sceptile outspeeds Adamant Doryuuzu in sand. Need I say more? He also outspeeds anything Scarf Chomp and can revenge kill with FB and HP Ice respectively. Very underestimated poke in OU

Well I think of it as one turn of set up, because a Grass Gem boosted Leaf Blade will hurt anything that doesn't resist it
It's walled too easily before SD and it's too slow before Unburden. I think it's best to go either SD or Unburden but not both. I guess you could get two turns with some proper prediction, but it's not very consistent. You're going to basically have to predict whether they're going to send in a Grass resist (or anything physically bulky that isn't weak to grass) or something that outspeeds before Unburden.

Sceptile? Too slow? Base 120 Speed is anything BUT slow. The only things that are likely to outspeed are SE priority (like ice shard, but neither mamoswine or weavile are too common nowadays) or scarfers.

Just used the first set on PO with some success. It felt a bit slow before the Unburden, but the surprise-factor does help a bit. It can be a very good counter to some rain-teams, just set up on their Ferrothorn.

I meant it's too slow before Unburden if you're running the 252 HP 252 Att 4 Spe spread. If you waste your Unburden, it's death fodder.

Also, it should be noted that it's safer to SD your first turn.

Should you really be running no speed? I mean even if you don't want to run max speed, having a bit is a good idea, 108 seems like a good place to outspeed with Galvantula and Cobalion.

IMO Subseed Sceptile is still viable as well. I think he is the fastest SubSeeder, not counting Whimsicott's ability, right?

I run a set that goes like this:
Sceptile @Life Orb
Evs: 252HP/ 252SAtk/ 4 Spe
Giga Drain
HP Fire
Dragon Pulse
Substitute

With my three attacking moves I can hit every type (except maybe some dual-types). Giga Drain is to heal my Life Orb recoil and subs. Substitute may seem weird on Sceptile, but you can use it on a switch to get some protection. Dragon Pulse and HP are for coverage.

Considering Sceptile is UU, I think that going with HP Ice+Focus Blast is better than HP Fire+Dragon Pulse, since basically all the UU steels are weak to fighting, and you can keep a 31 Speed IV.

@The posts pertaining to Subseeding: Scep is the fastest aside from Skymin, but what with the first unanimous vote in Smogon's history, it's not coming to OU, let alone UU, for quite a while (ten gens or so, when OU is populated by Kyorge and Dialga).

@The posts pertaining to Subseeding: Scep is the fastest aside from Skymin, but what with the first unanimous vote in Smogon's history, it's not coming to OU, let alone UU, for quite a while (ten gens or so, when OU is populated by Kyorge and Dialga).

No, obviously. Skymin is ridiculous.

Why are you all complaing about unburden sd sweeper set so much. That may not be a good set, but it doesn't mean other sets of his aren't good. I'd thinks normal sd from last gen (with overgrow and life orb) will be his best set, until the pinch berries come out.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would run 80 HP /252 ATK/176 Speed, just so I can outrun Sawsbuck in the sun or before unburden activates. I wouldn't want to take unnecessary damage from return because I don't outspeed and potentially have a weak priority move take me out.

How does Serperior compare to Sceptile as a fast SubSeeder? I don't think Sceptile outspeeds anything important, and Serperior gets Glare and Screens. Oh, and Mean Look + Leech Seed for teh lulz.

Ambipom and Cinccino can wreck SubSeeders with their Techician Double Hit and Skill Link Tail Slap anyway... so yeah, nothing really worth worrying about between 113 and 120. Serperior wins there for it's superior bulk and support moves.

SD Unburden Sceptile seems kinda cool. 168 Spe is all that is needed for outrunning +Spe 95s with an Adamant nature... seems like it might be walled kinda easily though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)