wow, its been 16 years

since pokemon first came out, stateside. fuck europeans. lets reminisce on all the good times we've shared, like everyone else seems to be doing in every thread.

These sprites are much worse than Golbat's. I actually kind of like its RB sprite.

I remember not knowing how to open the start menu when I first got the game, so I couldn't save. After hours of playing, my battery was running low so I pressed all the buttons until the menu opened.

I also remember the guide I had recommended using Butterfree against Brock because of Confusion. I just assumed Psychic was good against Rock or Ground and I was mad when I found out it wasn't.

Actually it came out late 1998 in the US....

As far as not knowing how to open up the start menu...just look at all of those buttons. SO CONFUSING.

I remember the first thing I did in pokemon red was walk aimlessly around my house looking for an exit because somebody at gamefreak had the bright idea to mark exits in the most unintuitive way possible.

I remember first getting Yellow, and not knowing how to get the past the grumpy old man in Viridian City. :P
Also this. I eventually wandered into the Pokemon Mart and decided I might as well give it to Oak.

I remember walking up to that one tree next to the old man and the game told me I found a Potion. I was like "Ok, now that I found it, I just need to pick it up." It wasn't until I got Cut that I realized they weren't Potions.

I remember in Red when I spent AGES! looking for a Chansey in the Safari Zone, Only for it to not catch and run first turn, also catching Moltres and Zapdos, but having no idea where Articuno was... great times :D

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
the whole Lavender Town background music "legend" thing still haunts me to this day. cbf elaborating on it but I'm sure most of you all know what I'm referring to. :( it was some scurry shit.

i remember when i played blue for the first time...it was of my friend, and i restarted his game clicking always A..so after 5 minutes i came back with a bulbasaur xD...

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
remember not know how to catch pokemon (even with the in-game tutorial) due to not knowing where to actually get pokeballs.

spending longer than usual in rock tunnel because i didnt know about the flash hm and by the time yellow came out, i knew how to do it blindfolded.

constantly attacking machamps with surf -__-"

I remember the first thing I did in pokemon red was walk aimlessly around my house looking for an exit because somebody at gamefreak had the bright idea to mark exits in the most unintuitive way possible.
this

how the fuck did they expect us to know a 2x1 box was supposed to be an exit?

tops of the list: continually renaming pokemon at the name rater's house because he liked the new one better, using a master ball on a machoke and catching mewtwo with a pokeball, and swearing up+B made it easier to catch pokemon

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Searching for a level 35 Ponyta for hours in Cinnabar Mansion as part of some alleged trick to get Mew...

Only to realize it didn't exist and you could only catch level 33, 34, and 36 Ponyta there

Let's not forget messing around with MissingNo. until your game got screwed up...but duplicating Rare Candies with the glitch ws fun.

Let's not forget messing around with MissingNo. until your game got screwed up...but duplicating Rare Candies with the glitch ws fun.
I remember I never actually duplicated PP Ups until after I got the PP Max in Sapphire. I always thought you could go up to something like 99 PP with enough of them and that they randomly gave 1 or 2 PP.

I remember I caught an over Lv. 100 Snorlax and Golbat while looking for Missingno. and destroyed Blaine with them.

Was I the only one who cheated the Seafoam Islands and just surfed from Pallet Town to get to Cinnabar Island? xD

i hate that damn icy cave -.-

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
16 years, 16 years
oak gave you a monster got you for 16 years
i know somebody payin daycare for one of his mons
his aerodactyl's level is higher than his
you will see him in saffron, any given sunday
win the fighting dojo and fly off on a pidgey
she was supposed to buy your pokes carbos with ya money
she went to celadon got dolls with ya money
she walkin around lookin like hypno with ya money
shoulda got that brand new silph scope for ya monaaaaaaaay

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i remember seeing this
randomly in viridian forest and being so excited when i caught it. the most powerful monster.

Was I the only one who cheated the Seafoam Islands and just surfed from Pallet Town to get to Cinnabar Island? xD

i hate that damn icy cave -.-
nope, i did that every time

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
well im sure gamefreak designed it that way bearing in mind that the player has been in a house before and knows the general layout of houses.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well im sure gamefreak designed it that way bearing in mind that the player has been in a house before and knows the general layout of houses.
Yes but what they forgot is that not everyone leaves said house.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
ok, i know thats supposed to be a dig about anti-social behavior but cmon, these nerds go to school, they know how to leave their house.

spending longer than usual in rock tunnel because i didnt know about the flash hm and by the time yellow came out, i knew how to do it blindfolded.
i was the exact same

when i was younger i just really hated catching mons, i have no idea why. i only wanted to catch the ones i would use. i just did rock tunnel in the dark every time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)