[2013] Milotic (QC 1/2)

Milotic

[Overview]

<p>When one thinks of Bulky Water types in VGC 12, one would immediately think Suicune. Whilst Suicune may overshadow Milotic with higher HP and Defence stats as well as access to Tailwind, Milotic boasts superior Special Attack and Defence and is able to gain some physical bulk with it's fantastic ability: marvel scale. Marvel scale allows Milotic to have a niche in this metagame, allowing it to function as a diverse mixed wall, a reliable status absorber as well as being able to use a RestTalk set effectively. In addition to this, Milotic also has access to instant recovery in the form of Recover. With above-average special attack, Milotic is also able to deal sufficient damage to function as a decent tank. However, due to the high usage of Pokemon such as Zapdos and Abomasnow in this metagame, Milotic will still have it's work cut out be able to function effectively. Despite this, Milotic still is a good wall/tank and, with the right support, is good enough to be considered for a place on most teams.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk Wall
move 1: Scald / Hydro Pump
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Life Orb / Sitrus Berry / Wacan Berry
ability: Marvel Scale
nature: Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to abuse Milotic's marvel scale by dealing out damage and absorbing status first before using rest. While asleep, Milotic's average defence increases to huge levels due marvel scale, meaning Milotic will be even harder to take down. Sleep Talk is then used to be able to attack while asleep, meaning Milotic won't just be a sitting duck while asleep. The HP EV's add more bulk onto Milotic enhancing its ability to take hits which is generally better overall than investing into speed. The choice of items between comes down to whether you would either like more offensive power, greater survivability or a better way of dealing with electric type attacks. The decision between Scald and Hydro Pump is normally down to personal preference but bear in mind Scald's useful 30% burn chance, meaning Milotic's physical defence capabilities can be further increased.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The decision between Scald and Hydro Pump is normally down to personal preference but bear in mind Scald's useful 30% burn chance, meaning Milotic's physical defence capabilities can be further increased. Icy Wind could replace Ice beam to slow dowm opposing Pokemon, but the drop in power is very noticeable. Recover can be used in place of Rest and could free up a moveslot for another move such as protect, enabling Milotic to be shielded for a turn while a teammate can help eliminate her threats. Alternatively, an EV spread of 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Speed could be used to good effect, as, due to Milotic's base speed of 81, Milotic can outspeed neutral speed base 80's, most notably Chandelure, who is OHKO'd by Life Orb Scald. However if one wanted to run a more defensive Milotic set, a Calm Nature with 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD allows Milotic to survive a Modest 252 SAtk Electric Gem Thunderbolt from Zapdos or Thundurus. Icy Wind could replace Ice beam to slow dowm opposing Pokemon, but the drop in power is very noticeable. Milotic appreciates counters to it's nemesis, Zapdos, meaning Scarf Abomsnow would be a great partner. Milotic can then use Blizzard over Ice Beam as Abomasnow can set up Hail with snow warning. Other teammates could include Terrakion and Rotom-H who both resist Zapdos' main attacks and can hit back at the electric bird.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Milotic can also work well in a hail team with Abomasnow as it is able to spam powerful blizzards without worrying about accuracy while also being able able to keep hail up after Abomasnow has fainted. Milotc will also enjoy being on a Rain team, due to the boost in it's main STAB move as well as being able to keep rain up with Rain Dance. Aside from the aforementioned options, Milotic's movepool is extremely shallow. Other moves worthy of mention are Surf, Toxic, Hypnosis, Dragon Tail, Dragon Pulse, Hidden Power Fire and Hidden Power Grass. Surf is outclassed by Scald as Surf damages your teammate and Scald's useful burn chance will help Milotic's defence. Dragon tail can stop trick room teams as well as generally annoying the opponent while Dragon Pulse is outclassed and outpowered by Ice Beam. Toxic is useful for residual damage against any other Pokemon, while Hypnosis has questionable accuracy. Hidden Power Fire helps with Metagross and Scizor, who would normally wall Milotic, while a modest 252 special attack life orb Hidden Power Grass OHKOes 252 HP Gastrodon and Deals significant damage to 252 HP Rotom-W in addition to hitting other water types, who would otherwise wall Milotic. Milotic gets cute charm from the Dream World, meaning that Pokemon of the opposite gender who make contact with Milotic will become infatuated, rendering them unable to attack 50% of the time. However, as with all gender-based abilities, it is generally unreliable and gimmicky and should never be used over marvel scale.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As previously mentioned, Zapdos is Milotics best counter, hitting hard with its often electric gem boosted thunderbolt. Thundurus with priority taunt and electric gem thunderbolt is a major problem as well as Rotom-W which completely walls all Milotic variants without HP grass. Powerful grass type attackers such as Ludicolo, Abomasnow, Ferrothorn and Virizion spell trouble for Milotic, however the former must be aware of ice beam. Milotic must also be aware of other water types, as all non HP grass variants of Milotic won't be able to be do much damage. Ninetales is also bad news for Milotic, bringing with it permanent sun due to its drought ability, lowering Milotic's offensive capabilities as well aiding grass types with the chlorophyll ability, such as Venasaur.</p>

QC's (1/2): R Inanimate
GP's (0/2):

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
a few quick things right now:
-Mention Protect somewhere in the article, since it is the one of the most vital moves that just about evey Pokemon can put to some usage in VGC
-Mention Rotom-W as a counter
-Mention Ludicolo as a counter
-Mention that most Water-types in general will wall it

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
You can't very well mention Zapdos without also mentioning Thundurus. Not only does Thundurus hit as hard as Zapdos but it can also Priority Taunt Milotic, shutting down all hope of being anything but an attacker. Both Zapdos and Thundurus will OHKO if either carries an Electric Gem; for that reason I'd slash Wacan Berry after Sitrus Berry.

I'd also mention Recover at the very least in other options.

Dragon Tail can shut down Trick Room teams due to its higher priority, as well as just generally annoy your opponent. Against faster opponents Milotic will often go last anyway.

a few quick things right now:
-Mention Protect somewhere in the article, since it is the one of the most vital moves that just about evey Pokemon can put to some usage in VGC
-Mention Rotom-W as a counter
-Mention Ludicolo as a counter
-Mention that most Water-types in general will wall it
You can't very well mention Zapdos without also mentioning Thundurus. Not only does Thundurus hit as hard as Zapdos but it can also Priority Taunt Milotic, shutting down all hope of being anything but an attacker. Both Zapdos and Thundurus will OHKO if either carries an Electric Gem; for that reason I'd slash Wacan Berry after Sitrus Berry.

I'd also mention Recover at the very least in other options.

Dragon Tail can shut down Trick Room teams due to its higher priority, as well as just generally annoy your opponent. Against faster opponents Milotic will often go last anyway.
Thank you very much, changes have been made.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
A few more changes.
-you already have Recover mentioned in the AC, so you should remove it from the OO section.
-since having recover frees up a space, you can also move Protect from OO to the AC, as a move to fill up the space

-Since Milotic is trying to play a defensive role, is there a reason that you don't try placing all its EVs into defensive stats? for example, running something like Calm Nature, and 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD, which can allow Milotic to survive a Gem Thunderbolt from Zapdos.

The rest looks pretty good, but I think I'd like an answer to the last question before giving a QC approval.

A few more changes.
-you already have Recover mentioned in the AC, so you should remove it from the OO section.
-since having recover frees up a space, you can also move Protect from OO to the AC, as a move to fill up the space

-Since Milotic is trying to play a defensive role, is there a reason that you don't try placing all its EVs into defensive stats? for example, running something like Calm Nature, and 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD, which can allow Milotic to survive a Gem Thunderbolt from Zapdos.

The rest looks pretty good, but I think I'd like an answer to the last question before giving a QC approval.
I had considered a set to take a gem thunderbolt from Zapdos but Milotic was unable to deal any significant damage back due to the large attack drop while also becoming even more "Taunt-bait". If you feel a need to add that in to either OO or AC I'll add it.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Fair enough, I do feel that a more defensive spread does deserve a mention in the analysis though in the AC.

I'd say to make a set that doesn't involve relying on resttalk, but that is covered in the AC with the suggestion of replacing Sleep Talk and Rest for Protect and Recover, so you're okay for that.

After mentioning the defensive EV spread. I think I can give you a QC approval.

QC 1/2

Fair enough, I do feel that a more defensive spread does deserve a mention in the analysis though in the AC.

I'd say to make a set that doesn't involve relying on resttalk, but that is covered in the AC with the suggestion of replacing Sleep Talk and Rest for Protect and Recover, so you're okay for that.

After mentioning the defensive EV spread. I think I can give you a QC approval.

QC 1/2
Thanks, one more QC needed then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)