Six Move Battling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if things like TormentTran could function here since it wouldn't have to choose between Toxic, Lava Plume, Taunt, Protect, Sub, and Torment.

Also could try TormentScor with the same set except for EQ over Lava Plume.
Though I like Tormentran, I don't think he's really suited for six-move battling.
While getting Toxic and Taunt is great, he relies on the opponent only having one move that can break his sub.
With six moves, most sweepers will be carrying a lot more coverage.

Blaziken with Swords Dance/protect/flare blitz/HJK/shadow claw/ and a mix up between T-punch or stone edge on that last slot

Gyarados :

- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Roar
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Jirachi :

- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Body Slam

Edit: I forgot Zapdos with Thunder / HP Ice / Substitute / Toxic / Roost / Roar

Hahaha, this sounds absolutely fantastic. Reuniclus becomes amazing with 6 moveslots. You could have something like:

Reuniclus@ Leftovers
Magic Guard
Bold - 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp.Def
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Psychic
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power [Fire]

Basically, it's the same bulky CMer standard set - except it now has lethal coverage. Scizor, who gives Reun so much trouble, now gets smacked by HP [fire]. Additionally, the extra moveslots gives Reun the coverage of Trick Room, but the sweeping threat of CM. Speaking of Trick Room, you can also run that in the last slot, and sort of fuse Reun's TR and CM sets together - so it actually threatens to sweep you on two different levels @_@

What's more, you could even run Flame Orb + Trick over HP [Fire] to really troll stuff. Or, why not run Acid Armour/ Substitute? Scizor/ Tyranitar/ Jirachi won't be giving you much trouble then.

Man, 6 Moveslots really makes a lot more possible. This is a really cool and different meta. :toast:

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Gyarados :

- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Roar
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
i was going to say restalk is a bad idea when you have two extra moves to choose from, but after thinking about it a bit more, that's actually an interesting idea. your chance to choose rest (which is obviously the worst case scenario) with sleep talk drops by ~13% if you add another two moves, and if you run two redundant moves (eg two phazing moves), they have a 40% chance of being chosen, up from 33%. ofc if you choose four different moves your chances are gonna be scattered everywhere and that doesn't sound great, but if you spend one of the two new slots on a redundant move (to boost your chances of picking it under sleep), you can use the other slot to gain a one-move profit over a mon with only 4 moves, so it's not all bad.

interesting.

tehy

Banned deucer.
As for the deoxys above, shouldn't it be something like :Agility/Cosmic Power/Recover/Taunt/Recycle, with the last move being either the hazard of your choice or Substitute if you already have hazards covered.

From what I saw of the sixmove tournament that happened, the focus of this metagame is more hyperoffensive than ever, because anyone can break through anything given the right opportunity. Priority would be useful- if only sweepers were less bulky.

In such a metagame, you'd need immediate counters, most prefarably mons which take the opponent's setup, and turns it in your favour. I can see Trick Room teams flourishing. I can see Gravity flourishing.

Quagsire@Leftovers
Unaware - Impish
Waterfall
Earthquake
Curse
Recover
Toxic/Yawn
Protect/Amnesia

Unaware wipes out any sweepers that can't kill it immediately. Forces out a grass type immediately if you're looking for one. Under Sand, this thing is horrible.

Ditto@Choice Scarf
Imposter
Transform

There is nothing more satisfying that wrecking someone else with their own boosted pokemon. Doesn't work on substitutes, so suggested with Extremespeed Dragonite or another priority user. Works for the same reason that ditto works in DW- this metagame is setup and hyperoffense everywhere.

Jirachi@Leftovers
Substitute
Calm Mind
Water Pulse
Psyshock
Energy Ball
Thunder
Wish

No idea what to place in the last slot. I suspect this jirachi may be a bit too slow for the metagame, but in theory it looks fairly pleasant- Energy ball outright kills walls, Psyshock kills Chansey, Thunder kills sweepers and Water pulse takes out the rest. Latias might be a counter, but it's not going to show up with dragonite everywhere.

Deoxys-D@Red Card
Recycle
Substitute
Recover
Cosmic Power/Agility
Taunt/Magic Coat
Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic/Thunder Wave/Trick Room/Gravity/Seismic toss

The reason for substitute is because Red Card hits THROUGH subs. You can bounce people when they break your sub. they are also forced to when you taunt them.

Another idea is Simple... uh... Swoobat, since it can now actually make use of it's movepool.

EDIT: Regarding Quagsire, I haven't actually used one myself, so opinion accepted and due noted. thanks for pointing it out. However, on another point, I don't think that even amnesia or a single curse will save it from an OHKO from ferrothorn or a leaf storm from anyone, tbh. Things like Draco meteor, maybe, but it's spdef is already ridiculous in sand- it doesn't seem to need amnesia. The only problem Quagsire would have is status in this case. Maybe Substitute, as ridiculous as it sounds? Does it get Refresh? If not, run a Sleep Talk set?

... Hey, thinking about Sleep Talk sets, they're going to be extremely effective since the chance of selecting rest goes down to 1/5. Things like Gyarados with Sleep Talk/Rest/Roar/Dragon Tail/Thunder Wave/Waterfall or something like that must be annoying.

tehy

Banned deucer.
To the above quagsire, toxic and protect seem rather pointless, why not just replace one with amnesia and keep yawn for the other? If you don't like prolonged setup because it causes crits, then toxic-stalling isn't much better, and honestly, what are you protecting against?

BP that quagsire ingrain to block phazers and GG.

I just realized that Vaporeon would be a horrible, horrible monster in this metagame if given the chance.

Vaporeon@Leftovers
Calm- Hydration

Acid Armor
Baton Pass
Scald
Ice Beam/Heal Bell/Substitute
Rest/Wish
Roar/Protect

Zapdos@Leftovers/something.

Baton Pass
Heat Wave
Thunderbolt
Agility/Tailwind
Substitute/Hidden Power
Roost

Honchkrow@Life Orb/Dark Gem/Leftovers
Moxie

Brave Bird
Superpower
Heat Wave
Substitute
Tailwind/Taunt
Sucker Punch

Sandslash
Sand Rush

Substitute
Swords Dance
X-Scissor
Stone Edge
Earthquake
...Something else.

Landorus@ something
Sand Force

Swords Dance
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Gravity
Hidden Power Ice/Grass/- maybe something else/Roost
Substitute

Linoone is now even more terrifying. Having room for Rest on its set and holding a berry that will wake it up? Belly Drum, ExtremeSpeed, Shadow Claw, Rest, and 2 other move? You do not want to encounter it in any tier.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Breloom Spore / Swords Dance / Mach Punch / Bullet Seed / Stone Edge / Substitute?
Breloom actually has a lot to fear in six move battling. Switching into it is hard in case someone tries setting up with speed or gets a strong hit off. However, I still need to test it some more, because I have trouble with it but other players I've tested with use it to great effect.

Also, ThunderPunch could replace Stone Edge, perhaps.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Because I feel like fooling around...

Golurk @ Life Orb
-Earthquake
-Shadow Punch
-Ice Punch
-ThunderPunch
-Hammer Arm
-Fly

Golurk now hits every type in the game... super-effectively. Of course dual types like Scizor and Gastrodon can avoid this, but still... not bad. Just pass this thing a Rock Polish and switch it into a Thunder Wave, and you're set.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
- Substitute / Taunt
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

This would really help Hydreigon, as Substitute variants had a lot of trouble with 4MSS, and most were unable to hit Tyranitar and Heatran hard. It gives Hydreigon great offensive coverage and would help a lot against stall when Chansey / Blissey is gone. Additionally, you could run a similar set with Sub Roost Kyurem, as Sub Roost does limit Hydreigon and Kyurem to two offensive moves. severely limiting what you can hit hard.

Kyurem @ Life Orb
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

I was thinking about 6M-LC:

Mankey @ Expert Belt
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake
-ThundePunch
-Ice Punch
-Aerial Ace
-Assurance

Only five pokémon in the entire metagame are not hit super-effectively:
Wooper, Barboach, Anorith, Dwebble, and Joltik. None of which carry any attacks that are super-effective on Mankey.

Relados

fractactical genius
I was thinking about 6M-LC:

Mankey @ Expert Belt
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake
-ThundePunch
-Ice Punch
-Aerial Ace
-Assurance

Only five pokémon in the entire metagame are not hit super-effectively:
Wooper, Barboach, Anorith, Dwebble, and Joltik. None of which carry any attacks that are super-effective on Mankey.
Although they aren't the best choices by far, Aerial Ace on Anorith and Dwebble and Bounce on Joltik hit Mankey for good hits. This is also discluding HP psychic or flying.

Not a bad set idea though. LC needs to be tested out a lot in case something like that proves too powerful in this metagame.

Holy crap, imagine 6M-BH O.o

Anyways, it's amazing how much more you can do with just two more moveslots (I suppose it seems like a lot more if you think percentage-wise). I think even Pokemon without 4MSS, like Terrakion would benefit, but not quite as much, since they can carry all the coverage they need already in 4 slots, but here is a set that I was thinking of:

Terrakion @ Leftovers
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Substitute
-Rock Polish
-Swords Dance
-Filler

It is basically the Double Dance and the SubSD Terrakion mixed into one set. Sub protects you from status, revenge killers, and helps in prediction, and having both RP and SD lets you chose which stat to boost, depending on the team you're up against

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
This sounds like loads of fun. Definitely something I should try out.

Also:

Deoxys-Defense @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psycho Boost
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt

Suicide Spiker getting set up on all the time by Dragonite? Finding a hard time killing Scizor, Breloom, and Starmie at the same time? Not anymore, because now you can run both Thunderbolt and Taunt! Now I'm pretty sure you beat pretty much every spinner in the game, while also preventing things like Dragonite from setting up on you. Best hazards setter in the game, anyone?

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Def / 228 SpD
Bold
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safegaurd
- Destiny Bond
- Splash

For some reason, I can't help but think that Wobb doesn't really benefit from having two more moveslots....

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Out of curiosity, why did you make the jump to six moveslots before trying out five?

I guess the novelty of this is better captured by just going all-out with six, but even five moveslots would be interesting as well, as many 'mons become really great with just one extra move.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Spore
- Baton Pass
- Shell Smash
- Rapid Spin / Encore / Substitute

This could definitely be very fun to play around with. Focus Sash plus Spore guarantees you hazards against everything that doesn't have a faster Taunt. From there, you can Substitute and stat boost until you feel you can sweep. Obviously the stat boosting moves are subject to personal preference, but being able to reliably pass boosts is great, it all depends on the recipient. Rapid Spin is a nice choice late game to remove hazards late game, when Smeargle is essentially fodder as it needs one turn of set up to actually achieve anything, and given Smeargle's average speed it can Spin against slower opponents. Encore is also here as you can Encore status once behind a Sub, or even Stealth Rock or Spikes which Smeargle doesn't really care about when passing boosts. Honestly, this set is more down to your imagination, however there are many other options to consider such as Destiny Bond, Toxic Spikes, Memento, Healing Wish, Will-O-Wisp are all good choices.

Relados

fractactical genius
Out of curiosity, why did you make the jump to six moveslots before trying out five?

I guess the novelty of this is better captured by just going all-out with six, but even five moveslots would be interesting as well, as many 'mons become really great with just one extra move.
Six is what Mr. Uncompetitive first came to me with, so that's what I went with.

Also, six seems like a more natural number for pokemon than five, as you add a lot more versatility without making it obscene (like full movepool battling or something).

Linoone is now even more terrifying. Having room for Rest on its set and holding a berry that will wake it up? Belly Drum, ExtremeSpeed, Shadow Claw, Rest, and 2 other move? You do not want to encounter it in any tier.

I dunno about this. In my experience with Linoone, if it gets to +6, you dont want to waste a turn resting up becuase its pretty frail. As long as pokemons like Steelix and Aggron are gone, this thing is gonna sweep with Espeed anyway. The only advantage is that now it can run both Seed Bomb and Rock Smash on the same set, but Rock Smash is super underpowered and is extremely situational.

So its still a beast, but it doesnt gain too much. Just use a Sitrus Berry instead .

I'd opt for a more Offensive Dragonite:

Dragonite@Lum Berry

Dragon Dance/Agility
Earthquake
Fire Pwnch/Super Power
Extreme Speed
Outrage
Thunderbolt/Ice Beam

Makes sure you don't meet a friendly Skarmory under the rain or OHKO Dragonites and keep the rage for later. Better yet, since Dragonite is already a monster with his 134 atk stat, you can opt for speed instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)