Media Metalheads Thread III

Anyone who likes black metal should check out Fen. The Malediction Fields is their only album I've listened to so far but it's great stuff.

As for more ~brutal~ stuff, Gorguts - Obscura is absolutely incredible. I think it's pretty much tech-death but from what I've read it's apparently "avant-garde" and "discordant"... so if anyone could explain these two terms and perhaps link me some stuff similar to it I'd be very happy :toast:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I kinda grew out of my metal period many years ago, but every now and then I discover some legitimately good metal and since I'm always up for some music discussion, I'll just go ahead and post my latest find in metal and probably the heaviest metal I can tolerate (I tend to think metal gets obnoxious rather quickly, sorry not sorry.)

[youtube]wAl3A2pYFhM[/youtube]

Melvins here are pretty damn sludgy and heavy in my books but I like how they don't make it sound like they're a bunch of #2edgy pushovers. No ridiculous guitar solos or screaming and moaning and growling just for the hell of it. No nonsense is what I like.

I'm also curious if there's anyone around here who likes some drone (doom) metal. Ya know, shit like Sunn O))), Boris, Jesu etc. I'm not very familiar with the genre yet, but what I have heard of it so far is quite promising. Would be nice to hear what other bands kinda carry out that style and are great.

PS: Loving that Madvillainy av, OP.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm not too familiar with Drone, but it's something I've been looking into.

sabbath's new album is streaming here (yeah, itunes sucks but what can you do).

i was expecting worse because god is dead was fairly poor but i was somewhat pleasantly surprised, i guess.

Who would've thought that an Ozzy Osbourne fronted Black Sabbath studio album in the year 2013 would actually be good? 13 is standard Black Sabbath, it is a throwback to their classic 1970's sound just with modern recording techniques. Zeitgeist is Planet Caravan Part 2 and Age of Reason can compete with the classics like Electric Funeral or Wheels of Confusion. If 13 will be the last Black Sabbath studio album, it is worthy one ridding the bad taste of the boring Never Say Die! album or the just flat out awful Forbidden album.

i've been listening to deafheaven - sunbather for the last few days and i like it a fair bit. anyone know what genre it is, though? i feel like i want to call it post-black but at the same time i really don't.

edit: i've been reading around a bit and apparently most people think it's just post-rock so sorry if anyone gets angry that it isn't metal!!

i've been listening to deafheaven - sunbather for the last few days and i like it a fair bit. anyone know what genre it is, though? i feel like i want to call it post-black but at the same time i really don't.

edit: i've been reading around a bit and apparently most people think it's just post-rock so sorry if anyone gets angry that it isn't metal!!
it falls into the category most people refer to as "blackgaze" or "post-black metal".

some people get really mad when you relate it to black metal at all though.

i think it's a pretty great album. the title track is killer.

also listen to this because it's one of the most interesting albums i've heard all year:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

aw yeah shit's great. Well yeah, the only thing it has related to metal are the screaming vocals but that's actually the worst of the album, cos it's the instrumentation where it's at. It's post-rock with a touch of shoegaze/blackgaze.

Agonist

Post-Rock is good, so no worries.

double post w/e

After several conversations going along the lines of "you like meshuggah? you should listen to animals as leaders", I finally got around to listening to their first album. I think they overdo the whole progressive thing a bit but overall it's really cool! Going to check out Weightless as soon as possible. edit: listening to it now. good stuff.

I liked the Sunbather album, surprisingly, since I'm not the biggest post-rock/blackgaze enthusiast.

edit 2: Jane Doe by Converge is incredible holy shit I have been missing out.

edit 3: @ deschain yeah i know lol

Vit is ok.

new MotA is good.
new Hacride is good.
new Àrsaidh is good.
new Summoning is good.
new Regarde Les Hommes Tomber is good.

Agonist

Not really related to metal, but GIAA is releasing a new album this year, apparently with vocals. Hopefully it's not complete shit with the addition of vocals.

reminder that Nekrogoblikon exists. i just impulse bought stench, i'm not too good with the genres but it's fast and frantic and has growls and whatever you want to call the other vocals. also ugh i need to check out the new bodom but :effort: :( i should be getting an itunes gift card soon so maybe i'll nab it !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)