Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - UU Edition

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What makes Shaymin good? It just seems like it would have a tough time earning a team spot against Roserade. Are their any notable advantages it has over Roserade except for base 100 stats all around?
It's round stats (and Ground resistance) allow it to serve as a much better pivot, as Roserade will take heavy from even resisted physical moves, and the extra Speed is also nice. Additionally, Seed Flare gives Shaymin a high powered STAB it can use multiple times (Rosy only has Leaf Storm). Rosy is definitely more dangerous with its great Sp Atk and Sleep Powder and is a great supporter with Spikes, but Shaymin has plenty of its own advantages that make it a worthwhile Pokemon when you want a Grass Pokemon with a great combo of power and defense.

It's round stats (and Ground resistance) allow it to serve as a much better pivot, as Roserade will take heavy from even resisted physical moves, and the extra Speed is also nice. Additionally, Seed Flare gives Shaymin a high powered STAB it can use multiple times (Rosy only has Leaf Storm). Rosy is definitely more dangerous with its great Sp Atk and Sleep Powder and is a great supporter with Spikes, but Shaymin has plenty of its own advantages that make it a worthwhile Pokemon when you want a Grass Pokemon with a great combo of power and defense.
Ok thanks I was thinking about using it on one of my new teams I'm creating!

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
What makes Shaymin good? It just seems like it would have a tough time earning a team spot against Roserade. Are their any notable advantages it has over Roserade except for base 100 stats all around?

Shaymin also gets moves like Earth Power, Air Slash, and Psychic. In all honesty, Seed Flare is seriously the best reason for even using Shaymin. It is a ridiculously good move - even of something switches in that resists it, they can get crippled with the -2 SpD very often and then be slaughtered the following turn. As Ace mentioned, the balanced defences are also really helpful - not only do they make Shaymin more bulky and a better pivot, but also allow it to run more defensive leech seed sets.

Is Nidoqueen viable? It seems like a good counter to all the fighting types in UU and the electrics (Zapdos and Raikou) and it has reasonable power with Sheer Force. would it be a good Pokémon in a defensive core on a balanced team? And what would be a good partner to it?

Is Nidoqueen viable? It seems like a good counter to all the fighting types in UU and the electrics (Zapdos and Raikou) and it has reasonable power with Sheer Force. would it be a good Pokémon in a defensive core on a balanced team? And what would be a good partner to it?
Yep, she's definitely viable. I don't know about her in a defensive core though. I prefer her as an offensive check. A good partner would be something to take on the physical fire types of the tier, like Darmanitan. Any bulky water will do, be it Swampert, Slowbro or Blastoise if you need a spinner. Just keep in mind she isn't super at dealing with electrics, after a little prior damage SubCM Raikou can 2hko her with HP ice. I hope I helped Mr. G

I'm getting really sick of the ladder for so many different reasons, would anyone be down for some non-ranked UU matches? I play as Lovelace, thousandcuts, Asterius, and WildRose and my timezone is GMT-8. So, if you see me hit me up or maybe shoot me a pm and we could schedule something.

I recommend checking out #genvuu on the IRC chat, there's always plenty of people on it and I'm sure you'd get some battles if you ask.

Something I have been using with some great sucess for a while now is the FWG core. I normaly use something like, SpD Roserade with spikes, Defensive blastoise to keep hazards off my side and phaze out setup sweepers, and Sub Split/ Choiced chandelure to spinblock and be a very good offensive threat.

What i would like to know from some player more experienced then me if that is a good core or not? How does it do against whats currently popular and stuff like that. I don't really ladder all too much so i don't know if this will do well against some of the better players. (I'm not a bad uu player by any means, i just don't ladder often)

I think that the concept of the FWG core is kind of irrelevant. I'm not saying they are ineffective but it is irrelevant in that the typing of a Pokemon doesn't matter, it matters what they do for your team. For example the main function of bulky waters is to take those strong fire attacks but Rhyperior for example fulfills this role every bit as good as a water Pokemon.

I don't think FWG cores are bad since you get 1. a switch in to the strong fire attackers and 2. a switch in to bulky waters and 3. a strong attacker but it is not necessarily important for you to have a fire mon, grass mon, and water mon.

But of course I am not exactly an experienced player so someone who is actually good will probably be able to tell you more.

I've actually been messing around with Scarfed and Banded Aggron in UU for the past couple days, overall I'm hesitant to call it viable. It's typing isn't too great when so many Ground, Fighting, and Water attacks get thrown around so often in UU. Its only real niche is just spamming powerful Head Smashes, but that does not really make up for it's short comings.

I think that the concept of the FWG core is kind of irrelevant. I'm not saying they are ineffective but it is irrelevant in that the typing of a Pokemon doesn't matter, it matters what they do for your team. For example the main function of bulky waters is to take those strong fire attacks but Rhyperior for example fulfills this role every bit as good as a water Pokemon.

I don't think FWG cores are bad since you get 1. a switch in to the strong fire attackers and 2. a switch in to bulky waters and 3. a strong attacker but it is not necessarily important for you to have a fire mon, grass mon, and water mon.

But of course I am not exactly an experienced player so someone who is actually good will probably be able to tell you more.
Yeah, but It just sorta ended up this way lol. My teams always have a bulky water and a raikou check, and since frosslass was being tested I ended up choosing roseade > quilfish for spikes since i already had a water type. Chandelure is the last one added to just be a spinblocker since i had rapid spin already to suport it anyway. Tho this core is actually really effective its not nessisary by any means.

This is more of a general question than a UU question, but how to you insert images into RMTs? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this

Use the following code:

Code:
[img] URL of your image of choice [/img]
edit: man ... the new forum software is really ... URGH whatever I'll get used to that sometime ... I think

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How much better than OU is the UU metagame? Why is this?
This sounds more like a question for general discussion but some popular answers would probably be:

• Less heavy centralization on offense-based teams; Stall is actually much more effectively viable in UU than in OU, for instance
  • Wider variety of Pokemon you're likely to see; Even some Pokemon from lower tiers would have a better shot in UU than most of them would have in OU, for reasons similar to the one above, as well as the fact the metagame itself is pretty balanced.
  • Less weather; A fan-favorite, though rain teams are viable (and even more deadly due to Swift Swim + Manual Rain) in UU, they in themselves are pretty rare. Same goes for Hail teams. On top of that, manual rain requires setup, and though the main 3 Swift Swimmers you'd use in UU (Kabutops, Kingdra, Ludicolo) are all deadly under rain, their reign (haha get it) of terror can at least be stopped short if you can stall the weather out. As for hail, hail teams in themselves are difficult to pull off due to things like Victini spamming V-Create left and right as well as the general hindrance of Stealth Rock. Due to these reasons and the fact you really don't NEED to be running a weather team half the time, the majority of all teams are weatherless. Not to say this doesn't make it viable, but like I said, it's balanced. Everything has a more accessible way of being beaten if you prepare smart.
  • And a more personal opinion that I've gained from personal experience, the tier isn't as punishment-heavy on you if you make a misplay. While some misplays can be costly in UU, it's not gonna be that now X is dead, your team no longer has any reliable counters to Y, thus resulting in Y posing an enormous threat to your entire team. At least, that's how it always felt in OU, and I felt teambuilding involved a bit of restriction toward some of the more-used Pokemon in order just to maintain some backbone against the bigger threats to what I was trying to use. Once again this is an opinion, and it's a general concept that applies to all tiers, but I just feel it in OU the most when I play it.
I'm pretty sure these are all some cut-and-dry examples and I probably restated the same thing 4 different ways, but hey. Some people actually don't like UU as much as they like OU, and vice-versa. We're all entitled to opinions, but I'm pretty sure some of them would sound like the above.

What should I use on my tank Bronzong: Payback or Zen Headbutt beside Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Gyro Ball?
My team has Ampipom, Chandelure, Roserade, Blastoise, Zapdos. So which move would help the team more?
I know Zen Headbutt has STAB, but as Bronzong almost always goes last, Payback is so damn strong (BP 120 Hit 90 vs BP 100 Hit 100)
I know I should take my team to the RMT section, but my team still isn't ready yet, and this question is short, so help, anyone?

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would personally recommend Toxic, to keep Zapdos from coming in basically for free. In Suspect only, I think Payback may be more of an option, because Xatu is better than in standard UU, and Payback stops it from walling Bronzong.

How the hell am I expected to quickly and easily find out about current suspect test parameters? This goes for other tiers as well.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How the hell am I expected to quickly and easily find out about current suspect test parameters? This goes for other tiers as well.
Best place to find that stuff out is to always keep an eye on the "np" threads. Like this once for instance: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-uu-stage-13-ghosts-n-stuff.3485574/

These threads are always kept up to date on what's happening in their respective tiers and such, and that's where you'll find the info for reqs and such on the current suspect test

what kind of teams are good in uu atm? spikes+sharpedo teams, hailstall...? i'm laddering atm but there are so many pokemon that i can't get a good view of the metagame lol

any trends? (and yes, i saw the viability thread)

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
what kind of teams are good in uu atm? spikes+sharpedo teams, hailstall...? i'm laddering atm but there are so many pokemon that i can't get a good view of the metagame lol

any trends? (and yes, i saw the viability thread)

Spikes Offense is pretty good. Froslass pretty much gets 2 layers up almost every single game, so it's not that hard to keep pressure down on the opponent. There's also a surplus of pokemon that are just built to break down walls in UU (ie: SD Guts Heracross, Nasty Plot Mew, etc.), which makes it easier for offensive teams to function. Balanced teams are pretty good as well, although a lot ofthem end up looking the same. Things like Snorlax, Rhyperior, and Cofagrigus make appearences on pretty much every other balanced team, so while it's good, it is rather predictable.

Hailstall is /supposed/ to be good, but I don't really have enough experience with it to tell you for certain.

Out of curiosity, why Mew hasn't an UU analysis on website? Otherwise he has got one for OU and another one for Uber.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)