Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Doubles Edition

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey there, mate! If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion!

When posting in this thread, keep in mind the following guidelines:
1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
3. At least do a simple Google search before you ask the question here.
4. This is already in the Smogon forum rules, but it must be very clear: do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things.
5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Once again, use Google for that.

Frequently Asked Questions
What does [move / item / ability] do?

Check the links in this topic before asking. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/base-stats-move-data-egg-moves-and-dream-world-abilities.78983/
Also read the first post here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/b-w-research-thread.79340/

What is Doubles?
There are several Smogon and The Smog articles available for new people to the metagame. First of all, you must know this meta is completly different from the other metas available in Smogon. This meta, like its own name indicates, is about two Pokémon fighting against two Pokémon in a team of six.
Recommended reading:
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue24/smogon_doubles_intro
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue24/smogon_doubles
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue25/doubles_strategies

What Pokémon can I expect in this metagame?
Mostly all of them. There's of course prefered ones and Pokémon more adapted to this metagame. NU Ludicolo is in Doubles an all-star OU-usage Pokémon. The only ones you won't find are the ones banned:
Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Arceus (all types), Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem-White.

Is there anything else banned?
Yes. The item Soul Dew and the move Dark Void. We also use the following clauses: Sleep Clause, Species Clause, OHKO Clause, Moody Clause, and Evasion Clause.

Is there a Doubles C&C?
Of course we have. Check our other forum in that section.

Is there going to be a suspect test?
Not until generation 6, where Doubles will be official. But expect new Gen 6 powerhouses to be suspected if the tiering council finds them too powerful.

Can we use Dream World Abilities?
You can use any Dream World ability that has been released. Other than that, we forbid all Unreleased stuff.

You guys seem awesome, where can I chat with you?
I know, right? We the Doubles guys hang out on IRC on #doubles. Find out more about Doubles there!

Can I find all this information in one place?
Yes. This legendary place of wisdom is known as the Doubles Hub, and can be found here.

Last edited:
Very legitimate, but unless someone has the power of vision, I think we're gonna have to wait on that one.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
That is correct. Seems frightening at first, but in doubles it's surprisingly less dangerous.

Yes, you may now make a Drizzle team with Beartic on it. This is the real difference between us and OU, of course.

Hey guys VGC player here, I'm wondering in doubles do you guys calc custom ev spreads like vgc or will the simple 252 spreads do fine? Also Do vgc strats basicly work the same in smogon doubles?

Hey guys VGC player here, I'm wondering in doubles do you guys calc custom ev spreads like vgc or will the simple 252 spreads do fine? Also Do vgc strats basicly work the same in smogon doubles?
Welcome to Doubles!

We do a lot of custom spreads yes, but 252 spreads will work fine if you're just testing things out on a team for synergy. If you read some of the RMTs in people's signatures, you're bound to find cool spreads. The thing you have to remember is that you're calcing for lvl 100, not 50.

Finally, yes! They do! And there's more too!

Welcome to Doubles!

We do a lot of custom spreads yes, but 252 spreads will work fine if you're just testing things out on a team for synergy. If you read some of the RMTs in people's signatures, you're bound to find cool spreads. The thing you have to remember is that you're calcing for lvl 100, not 50.

Finally, yes! They do! And there's more too!
Awesome cant wait :D!

This may be a dumb question, but why doesn't Tornadus use a special set?
It can use a special set, but in general Thundurus has a better typing as well as Prankster Thunder Wave, making it the superior Special Attacker in almost every situation. Tornadus enjoys a physical set because A) Thundurus lacks a powerful enough physical STAB attack to pull one off, and B) Defiant with Acrobatics allows it to take out the most common Intimidate abuser in Hitmontop. Acrobatics is also a more reliable STAB move in general, as you do not need Rain to give you a guaranteed hit.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
To add on to what blank and Nollan has said, Tornadus's Flying Gem Acrobatics has 93% chance to OHKO Latios as opposed to Gem-boosted Hurricane's 18% chance to OHKO. This ability to snipe down Latios is one of the biggest advantages Tornadus have over Thundurus, and the physical variant does this best

To add on to what blank and Nollan has said, Tornadus's Flying Gem Acrobatics has 93% chance to OHKO Latios as opposed to Gem-boosted Hurricane's 18% chance to OHKO. This ability to snipe down Latios is one of the biggest advantages Tornadus have over Thundurus, and the physical variant does this best
Really? I thought it was a guarenteed OHKO. :(

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Eelektross is not a very popular Pokemon at all, and I don't personally think it is all that good, but its best partners are definitely

· Ground types. Free EQ spam + Electric coverage for hitting Flying-types.
· Flying-types. Ell can switch into Electric-type attacks fairly easily, as well as the birds helping Eel hit Grass-types.
· Hitmontop and / or Cresselia. Everything loves these bastards on their team.
· Speed control mons. Mostly Trick Room, but it works just fine with Thunder Wave or Tailwind support. Icy Wind is not enough though.
· yeah das bout it

Thanks for the prompt response, and I'll bear that in mind when constructing a team. I've a feeling Excadrill/Eelektross might be pretty decent, but comme j'ai dit, I'm new here.

Eelektross can be decently effective in Trick Room, but not something top tier or even to prepare for. The problem with Eelektross in Trick Room is that its best spread move, Discharge, comes with a 30% paralysis chance, and being paralysed is generally a good thing in Trick Room.

Eelektross is definitely better than it is in singles though, because having a low Speed stat isn't such an issue.

And Rhyperior, to answer your question.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Research week will likely not happen in gen 5 time simply due to the fact that Double Dash is still going on. If you have any other questions relating to when events are happening just consult the Doubles Event Listing page.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Quick question (and I hope I get no hate for posting this here) but was wondering who partners well with a Mamoswine + Zapdos EQ + Discharge core? I would love some help, :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)