Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the suggestions for new areas to explore in-game in the middle of the generation's run time sounds like stuff that would save everyone a lot of grief if it was just hard-coded into the game to be accessed through a mystery gift item. Most likely the mode of transport to get there would be present before you download it, so the game would at least have predetermined space set aside to download that area, so I can't imagine that they would create events where completely new information is getting written on to your card/downloaded copy.

It takes design, testing and balancing time. For instance, you can't just shove a Chancey in the first patch of grass you encounter, cos it would unbalance the game pretty heavily. Similarly, you can't have an over-abundance of Pokemon in one area or a drought of a certain type of Pokemon in another (look at the fire-type in Pokemon Pearl as a good example of that). Another thing they often do is limit each route to having a half-dozen species of Pokemon, so when you start adding Pokemon you either have to add more areas, or work out some other way of fitting them into the game (like Swarm). So you're right in that it doesn't require any programming time, but it does require design time and some thinking, and that sort of stuff is very difficult to get right the first time you balance it.
You're proving my point here. It's not worth the effort of changing all of that after release just to have some free DLC. It's something that makes more sense to just do the first time. Doing it during development is just part of the process and much cheaper. I really can't think of a good reason for this idea.

All the suggestions for new areas to explore in-game in the middle of the generation's run time sounds like stuff that would save everyone a lot of grief if it was just hard-coded into the game to be accessed through a mystery gift item. Most likely the mode of transport to get there would be present before you download it, so the game would at least have predetermined space set aside to download that area, so I can't imagine that they would create events where completely new information is getting written on to your card/downloaded copy.
Presumably there's unused space or space set aside so that it can add on to?
Like every game with DLC?

You're proving my point here. It's not worth the effort of changing all of that after release just to have some free DLC. It's something that makes more sense to just do the first time. Doing it during development is just part of the process and much cheaper. I really can't think of a good reason for this idea.
In some sense they've done it already with the Dream World and Event Pokemon. Basically they coded in the abilities and the existence of these Pokemon and locked them behind an event wall so that later on they could release them to the public. That's found out that Arceus existed in the 4th gen before the events were released, cos it was already in the game.

There's a couple of smart reasons for doing it (though whether they're good reasons is up for debate). Money (if they decide that they want to release paid DLC) and retention. The longer they keep you playing the game the better. It kind of sucks if you're a consumer, you have to wait for all these Pokemon to be released and if you don't want to buy the DLC you're crap out of luck. On the other hand, if you're a business it keeps the lights turned on, keeps your staff fed and keeps the public aware of your brand. It's kind of good and kind of bad, the company gets to keep making bigger, better Pokemon games, but you have to put up with the bullshit (alternatively, a big enough public outcry can force a company to change its policies, so if this does turn out to be the case, raise your voice after the game's release and they might change their ways).

I Still don't understand why we can't transfer pokemon via Global Link. It would be an Online Pokemon Box that could transfer gens. Why has no one thought of this yet/ why isn't this possibility being discussed?

I Still don't understand why we can't transfer pokemon via Global Link. It would be an Online Pokemon Box that could transfer gens. Why has no one thought of this yet/ why isn't this possibility being discussed?
Because how are 5th gen games supposed to do this exactly.
They're set up to tuck in one (1) pokemon, not entire boxes. And they really weren't set up to be edited on such a massive scale.

e: Incidentally, the global link was what I had in mind for the app idea. But since you made it sound like we weren't talking about it I'm guessing that's not what you meant

Part of the reason also lies in the fact that 5th gen games will no longer be supported by GL after the new site is up.

EDIT: Even if you could transfer boxes, which is, as @R_N suggested, impractical.

Anybody else hoping there isn't some sort of Poketransfer in X and Y? I would welcome the idea because it would prevent bad hacks from the previous game from ruining your game and lets everyone sort of start from scratch.

Anybody else hoping there isn't some sort of Poketransfer in X and Y? I would welcome the idea because it would prevent bad hacks from the previous game from ruining your game and lets everyone sort of start from scratch.
Even with poketransfer, everyone would need to start from scratch. Those types of things are always post game

I personally am with you here and want to start a fresh new game like RSE did for the exact same reasons, but I think 97% of the pokemon community want compatibility with BW/BW2.

i was sad enough when i had to lose my shingy gyrados from pkmn g/s/c and couldnt transfer it (i thought i wouldnt get another) and honestly i dont want that again

Yeah, I meant even after post-game. So basically everyone would have to catch all previous gen Pokemon again in X and Y.
That's all fine and dandy, unless you want to get at least decent pokemon bred. Then give it 6 months and everyone is running around with near flawless pokemon anyway. The only difference being that extra time investement being there.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
No. I want my transfer. It killed me I couldn't take Gen 2 mons to Gen 3. Then my old carts started dying and it was like my old memories were dying with them :( I have a Salamence which I have cradled all the way to Lv 100 (and has beaten 4 different leagues). I want to keep him alive. Hes done Hoenn League, Kanto League, Sinnoh League and Unova League and has a shit tonne of ribbons etc... He's probably the single mon I've had around the lolngest apart from my same game Swampert. I don't want to lose those mons :/

Yeah, I have a Wailord with just about every award known to man that I'd rather not leave behind in Unova. (Well, it's actually still finishing up the Jumping Pokeathlons...) But it has every non event ribbon sans the purification one from Coliseum, and that's pretty flippin' crazy. It has conquered three leagues, won dozens of contests, climbed mount battle, had a super footprint, been in Solaceon on a Thursday, been a ridiculously good goalie, and achieved maximal happiness. Walter the Wailord might be the most esteemed Wailord on the planet. I even went to the trouble of winning several dozen luxury balls in Ruby (by beating master rank contests repeatedly; the only way to get one) and fishing for the perfect Wailord. He is a modest one, to be sure. Strong and fast as the tide.

And besides, if we get a Hoenn remake he needs to be able to visit his homeland once more. :p

In some sense they've done it already with the Dream World and Event Pokemon. Basically they coded in the abilities and the existence of these Pokemon and locked them behind an event wall so that later on they could release them to the public. That's found out that Arceus existed in the 4th gen before the events were released, cos it was already in the game.

There's a couple of smart reasons for doing it (though whether they're good reasons is up for debate). Money (if they decide that they want to release paid DLC) and retention. The longer they keep you playing the game the better. It kind of sucks if you're a consumer, you have to wait for all these Pokemon to be released and if you don't want to buy the DLC you're crap out of luck. On the other hand, if you're a business it keeps the lights turned on, keeps your staff fed and keeps the public aware of your brand. It's kind of good and kind of bad, the company gets to keep making bigger, better Pokemon games, but you have to put up with the bullshit (alternatively, a big enough public outcry can force a company to change its policies, so if this does turn out to be the case, raise your voice after the game's release and they might change their ways).
The idea being talked about here is adding Pokemon to existing areas, which is much different than Dream World. Also, I will burn my copy of X/Y is they make you buy Pokemon. At that point, GF should just let EA buy them.

Serebii just posted about new trademarks, wich could mean the name of the new game we got the screen of or merchendise gen 6 related.

Serebii said:
It has been uncovered by Siliconera that The Pokémon Company has recently filed for two trademarks in the United States. These trademarks are for the titles Pokkén Fighters and Pokkén Tournament. It is currently unknown to what these trademarks pertain, but they could be anything from a line of merchandise to a new game, possibly the one shown at the Pokémon Game Show.
On the topic, yes, finding a way to retain old mons would be great. But they really need to do something about Level 9 or under Zekrom and "Legal Hacks" (aka RNG Abuse). But I guess people will just continue playing on online emulators.

No. I want my transfer. It killed me I couldn't take Gen 2 mons to Gen 3. Then my old carts started dying and it was like my old memories were dying with them :( I have a Salamence which I have cradled all the way to Lv 100 (and has beaten 4 different leagues). I want to keep him alive. Hes done Hoenn League, Kanto League, Sinnoh League and Unova League and has a shit tonne of ribbons etc... He's probably the single mon I've had around the lolngest apart from my same game Swampert. I don't want to lose those mons :/
that salamance story touched me man youre not alone :'(

...Hell, no.
Unlike you heartless monsters I have Pokemon that I have grown attached to and have had since Gen 3. They bring back memories of the good times and they can't be replaced. Also I have shinies I don't want to lose lol
This. This exactly. I have over 50 Shinies, all of which I am the original trainer of, all of whom I remember the stories behind, none of whom I want to leave behind. I have numerous EV trained Pokémon filling up my PC. I have Pokémon I've become attached to, Pokémon I've had for years- some Pokémon I've had for over a decade! The day Ruby and Sapphire came out in the US, I picked up my copies and started Ruby with a Mudkip. That Mudkip is now a level 100 Swampert in my Black 2. My Wynaut has 60 ribbons, for crying out loud! If they don't allow transfers, I will rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)