Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope all of the move tutors from BW2 comeback, as well as moves that were blacklisted in BW2 like seismic toss from emerald and FR/LG.

Will there be a thread for discussing the 3D trailer showcasing Lucaro and Blaziken, since we can't discuss it here?
Since that thread would consist solely of speculation, I'm going to say no, there won't be a thread. But once we have more information, we can start discussing it in this thread.

Feel free to speculate over in #orangeislands though!

I hope all of the move tutors from BW2 comeback, as well as moves that were blacklisted in BW2 like seismic toss from emerald and FR/LG.

Will there be a thread for discussing the 3D trailer showcasing Lucaro and Blaziken, since we can't discuss it here?
Here is what we know about the game shown:
-It exists!
-It has Lucario & Blaziken
-It's probably HD

that's it.
There's nothing to go on or discuss. They were only in the idle animations and the teaser was all of like 3 seconds long.
When more information about it comes out (maybe in corocoro?), it will probably get its own thread.

I second this, though personally, I'd like to see some of the really old TMs come back into circulation- I mean the really old ones, I'm talking Generation I-II here. Now, the following moves were only available as TMs in Generation I and/or II, and have not been teachable to Pokémon in Generation III or beyond through TM or move tutor;

Razor Wind (lol no, the accuracy buff in Generation III just does not justify a 2-turn move with a base power of 80)
Whirlwind (now this could definitely see use as a TM again- shame they took away its TM status in the same generation in which it actually became useful)
Horn Drill (yeah, no)
Take Down (I'd rather see Double-Edge regain TM status, it's got more power and perfect accuracy)
BubbleBeam (I guess I'd be alright with this, it was always a decent in-game move until you got access to Surf)
Water Gun (ehhhh... no)
Pay Day (definitely in favor of this one returning- even if we can rebattle trainers, every last Pokédollar counts when you're stocking up on Hyper Potions and Revives for the Elite 4, or replenishing your stock of Poké Balls)
Submission (buff the accuracy a bit and then we'll talk)
Rage (*laughs*)
Mega Drain (if they bumped it up to a base power of 60, then maybe... Then at least it'd see use with Technician users)
Dragon Rage (*laughs harder*)
Fissure (*laughs uncontrollably*)
Teleport (they'd have to give it a trainer battle effect for me to even consider wanting this back)
Bide (hmmm... Maybe if Wobbuffet got it... It's not a bad move for in-game purposes, I'll give it that much)
Egg Bomb (maybe if they make it a special attack- nice little option for Blissey, you know? But otherwise, no)
Skull Bash (next)
Psywave (next)
Tri Attack (depending on what would get it, I could see this being useful)
Curse (hell to the yeah! I can only imagine how many Pokémon would benefit from Curse being a TM again)
Zap Cannon (if ever we get an Electric-type with No Guard, then this idea would intrigue me)
Sweet Scent (pretty useful in-game, so it'd be kinda cool to have back)
DragonBreath (lol no. Bring back the Dragon Pulse TM instead)
Detect (hmm, let's see... exact same effect as Protect... runs off same counter so we can't abuse them by alternating between moves... less PP than Protect... I'm gonna go ahead and call this one redundant)

If transfers are impossible, I wish they'd say so now so that people don't have to wait until reviews to be disappointed. That would be suicide.
This is not something to worry about. They have to make transfer possible one way or another since the whole motto is collect, trade and stuff.

Also, they have to make it possible to complete the national dex, so transfer is a must.

This is not something to worry about. They have to make transfer possible one way or another since the whole motto is collect, trade and stuff.

Also, they have to make it possible to complete the national dex, so transfer is a must.
They don't have to do anything. They can still have you collect & trade without them. If they can't get transfer working you just wait until the next games like in gen 3 in the worst case scenario

They don't have to do anything. They can still have you collect & trade without them. If they can't get transfer working you just wait until the next games like in gen 3 in the worst case scenario
It would be much harder this time around, though. There's no way one remake would be enough. This would just have to be a generation where some Pokemon are unobtainable. Basically, either they knew from the start that it can't be done and the games were designed with that in mind, or they did find a way a long time ago and only said that they're "working on it" to keep it a surprise.

they don't even have to make these games for all they care

If it costs too much money/time/effort, they may decide to cut us off.

they don't even have to make these games for all they care

If it costs too much money/time/effort, they may decide to cut us off.
But then they would stop making bank on all the merchandising.
Really, the fact that the franchise sells out so well makes this a very empty threat.

I can see them making a Pokémon Box-esque transfer app and releasing it a year from now. There's a cause to encourage the use of freshly caught Pokémon in tournaments for a short while.

Also, stop talking about paid DLC. They've never shown interest in making main-series downloadables/mystery gifts with a price.

It would be much harder this time around, though. There's no way one remake would be enough. This would just have to be a generation where some Pokemon are unobtainable. Basically, either they knew from the start that it can't be done and the games were designed with that in mind, or they did find a way a long time ago and only said that they're "working on it" to keep it a surprise.
5th gen did a pretty good job of having nearly all pokemon available in one generation and it had 659 of the things

It's really not that hard to just make more pokemon available in future games, especially if they really can't get it working

I would like to see DLC from Gamefreak in more of a "New Super Luigi U" sense. Like for $20 bucks in a year you can go to either a new region (with all established Pokemon of course) or an old region like Kanto or Hoenn.

Or multiple Save files.

I would like to see DLC from Gamefreak in more of a "New Super Luigi U" sense. Like for $20 bucks in a year you can go to either a new region (with all established Pokemon of course) or an old region like Kanto or Hoenn.

Or multiple Save files.
I think adding an entirely new region or an old region would be a bit beyond the scope of a $20 dlc

maybe a smaller area, I suppose? Or a battle frontier, maybe.

If transfers are impossible, I wish they'd say so now so that people don't have to wait until reviews to be disappointed. That would be suicide.
I think that if transfers were possible, they would either tell us by now or in the next corocoro, because it's pretty big news (personally I really don't care). In DPPt they showcased palpark in corocoro, and BW/BW2 showcased Poketransfer on corocoro. But if they don't tell us in the next corocoro, either it will not be there or it will be separate from the game (ie downloadable app) that will probably be released a month or two after the release of X and Y.

Instead making an app or whatever, couldn't they do DLC packs to release older pokemon? Gears of War used to come out with new maps, weapon/armor skins, and game types all the time. I don't see why Gamefreak/Nintendo couldn't just release packs for Pokemon. I mean, you download the update and then BAM, the previously unavailable Magmar is now found on route 25.

I think Nintendo's been pretty good with not doling out DLCs left and right. They tend to release the games in their finished states, which is kind of a fanservice to us and even encourages parents to continue buying the games for their kids without the risk of their kid spending enormous amounts on DLC which the kid may or may not realize isn't free.

5th gen did a pretty good job of having nearly all pokemon available in one generation and it had 659 of the things

It's really not that hard to just make more pokemon available in future games, especially if they really can't get it working
There were still a ton of key ones missing.

At any rate, I'm positive that we'd know by now if it's not possible. They'd have to choose the Pokemon available with that in mind. I think they just wanted to wait to reveal it and that it was all figured out before the games were even revealed. This being a fresh start with no transfers would be a HUGE deal; it's not the type of thing they'd wait this long to say.

As for the whole "DS mode" argument, DS played GBA games in GBA mode, did they not? The same concept that worked there would work with an app.

Instead making an app or whatever, couldn't they do DLC packs to release older pokemon? Gears of War used to come out with new maps, weapon/armor skins, and game types all the time. I don't see why Gamefreak/Nintendo couldn't just release packs for Pokemon. I mean, you download the update and then BAM, the previously unavailable Magmar is now found on route 25.
Get this terrible idea out of here. The day they do this is the day I quit Pokemon for good.

If it's free I'm not sure why it'd be a problem. It's better than missing out on hundreds of Pokemon because they can't get the DS and 3DS games to play nice.
There's literally no reason to have something like that and make it free. It doesn't take more development time or money to add Pokemon to existing areas, so it would just be done from the start.

There's literally no reason to have something like that and make it free. It doesn't take more development time or money to add Pokemon to existing areas, so it would just be done from the start.
It takes design, testing and balancing time. For instance, you can't just shove a Chancey in the first patch of grass you encounter, cos it would unbalance the game pretty heavily. Similarly, you can't have an over-abundance of Pokemon in one area or a drought of a certain type of Pokemon in another (look at the fire-type in Pokemon Pearl as a good example of that). Another thing they often do is limit each route to having a half-dozen species of Pokemon, so when you start adding Pokemon you either have to add more areas, or work out some other way of fitting them into the game (like Swarm). So you're right in that it doesn't require any programming time, but it does require design time and some thinking, and that sort of stuff is very difficult to get right the first time you balance it.

On that note, I would say that there's a really good chance of Gamefreak doing DLC. They've already done exclusive Pokemon in a bunch of different ways: we've gotten exclusive Pokemon from events (physical and digital), exclusive Pokemon from the Dreamworld, and if you look at the whole "each generation of Pokemon is split into two-or-more versions" thing it's basically the same principle. Now what I HOPE they don't do is make DLC the only way to get certain species of Pokemon. I would think that you'd find Pokemon with their hidden abilities, Surfing Pikachus, old legendaries, shinies, that sort of thing. Stuff that is difficult for people to get but not game-breaking.

I think adding an entirely new region or an old region would be a bit beyond the scope of a $20 dlc

maybe a smaller area, I suppose? Or a battle frontier, maybe.
I'm thinking something the size of Kanto in Gold and Silver... smaller than a full game, you know?

I'm thinking something the size of Kanto in Gold and Silver... smaller than a full game, you know?
That still sounds like a lot of work. This game is REALLY pretty. It's a bit more work than back in the game boy color era.

I could certainly see them adding new islands or dungeons of relatively small scale, and let's be honest: That would be better. Rather than putting in the work for a large, depthless open region, a smaller focused one full of content would be more worth your money.

That still sounds like a lot of work. This game is REALLY pretty. It's a bit more work than back in the game boy color era.

I could certainly see them adding new islands or dungeons of relatively small scale, and let's be honest: That would be better. Rather than putting in the work for a large, depthless open region, a smaller focused one full of content would be more worth your money.
So maybe like the Sevii Islands from FRLG

So maybe like the Sevii Islands from FRLG
But then why release it as a 6th Generation? If they were going to do a project similar to the Sevii Islands for example it seems a lot of work creating new pokemon for a map that small, especially considering there will be less to do on these islands in comparison to a whole new reigon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)