Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another memeber of my current Hyper Offensive team. It kind of needs Web support. Under Web + SR becomes insane:

Hax (Haxorus) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance

After 1 SW boost he hits like a truck. Its his old set but completely adapted to the current metagame.

Outrage murders everything minus Steel and Fairy. EQ hits all Steels minus Ferro/Forre/Scizor (neutral to them) and obviously Skarmory (who I would just Outrage regardless, since he will most likely Whirlwind and then die to the next sweeper who hits the field). Thanks to Mold Breaker it also shits on the ones who tries to Levitate. Poison Jab is the cherry of the set. After a SW boost it 1HKO every single Fairy out there who tries to wall Hax (except for Mawile/Klefki, but they are 1HKOed by EQ regardless).

Alright, I'll give this a shot, theres a lot of rules, so I'm sorry if I break any of them here, especially since I have no idea if Klefki will be in OU or have no business there. But heres a few things I've been using in Y version.

Klefpard set

Prankster
Air Balloon
Full defensive EVs

Swagger
Foul Play
Thunderwave
Spikes

With the exemption of spikes, this is your standard set on a liepard. You thunderwave them, then swagger, and foul play your way to victory. However, something I've found interesting is that with a little luck, and the use of parafusion to immobilize the opponent, it can be very easy to set up 3 layers of spikes without any issue. Until now it just didn't seem like enough bang for my buck wasting 3 turns to set up spikes that could be bypassed by anything with rapid spin, a flying type, or levitate, but with Klefki, quite often I don't even have to get hit once. After the spikes are up, you can just use it to deal massive damage with foul play. Klefki's speed isn't anything special, but with the 5 immunities, decent defenses, and only 1 weakness to fire, Klefki can generally take a hit and live with more than half HP left intact, then take down the opponent. I have yet to see any other pokemon really fill the role of an entry setter through the use of parafusion, so I figured I'd toss him on here. It does require a little luck to run him, you have to hope for the immobilization, but as of yet, my worst is two layers of spikes, and my best has been 3 full layers, and taking out 3 of my opponents team with them.
Although Klefki is pretty cool, I don't think that your set plays to its strengths as well as it could. Prankster Spikes and Thunder Wave are both awesome, but SwagPlay isn't the most consistent strategy- it doesn't help that your set has no recovery to speak of. If your opponent has basically any status move, or just decent luck, you're going to get worn down really quickly.

To remedy that, I'd suggest two small changes- firstly, I'd suggest replacing that Air Balloon with Leftovers. Klefki has no recovery of its own, so if you want to capitalize on its sweet defensive typing, some sort of passive health gain is necessary. My second suggestion is that you run Substitute over Swagger- by giving a buffer against status and other chip damage, it becomes a lot easier to set up spikes against more defensively inclined pokemon. Other than that, though, the set looks solid. Foul Play is a surprisingly effective way to deal with stuff trying to set up on you.

Although Klefki is pretty cool, I don't think that your set plays to its strengths as well as it could. Prankster Spikes and Thunder Wave are both awesome, but SwagPlay isn't the most consistent strategy- it doesn't help that your set has no recovery to speak of. If your opponent has basically any status move, or just decent luck, you're going to get worn down really quickly.

To remedy that, I'd suggest two small changes- firstly, I'd suggest replacing that Air Balloon with Leftovers. Klefki has no recovery of its own, so if you want to capitalize on its sweet defensive typing, some sort of passive health gain is necessary. My second suggestion is that you run Substitute over Swagger- by giving a buffer against status and other chip damage, it becomes a lot easier to set up spikes against more defensively inclined pokemon. Other than that, though, the set looks solid. Foul Play is a surprisingly effective way to deal with stuff trying to set up on you.
As I've been running a very similar set to the improved version that you suggested (just with Toxic over Twave), I would just like to confirm that Foul Play is indeed a force to be reckoned with. Given the ladder's Aegislash infestation, it's gotten quite a few surprise kills (OHKO against blade forme).

I actually had substitute early on instead of swagger, I think both work honestly, I found that the para alone wasn't enough to tilt the scale in my favor, and that subs just seemed to take too much out of the poor little guy, so I chose to go the parafusion route. This is just my personal set how I play, and it really isn't reliable sometimes, so I definitely see where you're coming from. Leftovers in place of air balloon is fantastic though. I honestly never had to deal with too many ground type moves in online play, since nature power is tri attack instead of earthquake now, so the air balloon doesn't really help much in the end. Somehow, I never thought to go leftovers, I suppose with such great defensive typing I was trying to get as many immunities crammed into one pokemon as I could. I'm promptly switching that air balloon for leftovers. On a sidenote, thanks for the feedback. I've been a long time reader on this site, and just now decided it was time to start posting. It was nice to get helpful feedback on one of my first posts.

I think instead of a flying gem set for Talonflame, this might work better:
Talonflame @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Jolly (just to outspeed other Talonflames)
EV's: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
-Acrobatics
-Swords Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame is pretty damn frail, and with a 4x weakness to Rock, I figure that a lot of hits are going to OHKO it. Stealth rocks are a lot less prevalent with Defog's buff, so I don't think there's a huge issue with switching in (although this would probably work better as a lead). But being able to lay down a Swords Dance, lose the focus sash, and spam a +1 priority, 110 damage Acrobatics (not counting STAB) is pretty freaking nice. Since there's a pretty good chance of a switch in to something that resists flying moves, Will-O-Wisp is a nice move (now that its accuracy got raised) to cripple any physical attackers, and Flare Blitz would be a suicide move that could probably take something out with it. Not saying that this is a GREAT set, but I've been using it to some success and thought I'd share. Not sure if this has been used by other people, and if it's a really popular set I apologize c:

Ariados @ Focus Sash / Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 Spd / 16 HP
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Sticky Web
- Poison Jab / X-Scissor

Although Ariados doesn't have the bulk nor speed to either set up Toxic Spikes or attempt a sweep, it is made a threatening supporter through the use of Agility and Baton Pass. Sticky Web is, as always, invaluable; but it is hard to set up due to Ariados's fraility. Ariados can either lead or come in on a resisted hit, where it would then have the option of either setting up an Agility or setting up a Sticky Web. If it uses Agility at any point, it would then Baton Pass to a sweeper or a Spinblocker, or it could, as a last dicth attempt, Poison Jab the opponent to pick them off.

With the given EVs, Ariados reaches 176 speed, which ties with all Base 70 Speed Pokemon, most notably uninvested Politoed. After an Agility boost, it reaches an acceptable 352 speed, outspeeding all positive natured Base 110 Pokemon, giving Ariados a chance to wound the Latis, Terrakion, Keldeo, and Infernape (among others). Adamant nature and max Attack puts it at a respectable 306 Attack, and Poison Jab can 2HKO the aformentioned threats. 16 HP EVs lets allows a little more bulk (I'll pull out a few calcs once I notice notable things it survives later). With Jolly, Ariados can outspeed all positive natured Base 125s, though it's damage output would be pitiful without an Adamant nature. If one opts for Jolly, then use X-Scissor, since it hits Weaville, Starmie, and Latios harder--and the latter two are ones that you could not have outsped with Adamant.

The choice between Focus Sash and Lefovers is a tough one. Focus Sash is preferred, since Ariados is not meant to take hits and it will be OHKOed by even resisted damage. One might consider Leftovers, as it's gradual recovery can allow it to tank a couple of resisted hits. However, coverage moves from a sweeper would make quick work of Ariados, making Leftovers recovery moot.

This set is both Taunt and set-up bait, since Ariados won't be doing much damage with the widely-resisted Poison Jab. Gengar and Aerodactyl make great partners, since they can either Taunt Defog users or can OHKO them right off the bat. Steel- types such as Skarmory, Aegislash, Aggron, and Excadrill completely negates any damage that Ariados could do, and Skarmory can simply cancel your boosts out thanks to Whirlwind. Interestingly enough, Octillery makes a good partner for this set, as it can benefit greatly from an Agility boost, Suction Cups prevents it from being phazed, and it can hit Steel- types with Fire Blast. Sand and Hail is a problem, as well, as it will break Ariados's Focus Sash. Staying on on Mega Abomasnow is a big no-no, as Poison Jab merely 3HKOs regardless of investment and Hail will break Ariados's Sash. Drizzle Politoed synergizes perfectly with Ariados, nullifying other weathers as well as cancelling Ariados's Fire- type weakness. Good partners of Ariados include things that can both benefit from Sticky Web and a Agility boost, such as Tyrantrum or Thundurus-T.

The biggest pro
Talonflame @ Focus Sash
-Acrobatics
-Swords Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame is pretty damn frail, and with a 4x weakness to Rock, I figure that a lot of hits are going to OHKO it. Stealth rocks are a lot less prevalent with Defog's buff, so I don't think there's a huge issue with switching in (although this would probably work better as a lead). But being able to lay down a Swords Dance, lose the focus sash, and spam a +1 priority, 110 damage Acrobatics (not counting STAB) is pretty freaking nice. Since there's a pretty good chance of a switch in to something that resists flying moves, Will-O-Wisp is a nice move (now that its accuracy got raised) to cripple any physical attackers, and Flare Blitz would be a suicide move that could probably take something out with it. Not saying that this is a GREAT set, but I've been using it to some success and thought I'd share. Not sure if this has been used by other people, and if it's a really popular set I apologize c:
The most prominent problem with this set is how you don't lose your sash it you don't get hit by a move that make you lose the sash instead of just breaking it. And even if you actually get it down to it's d sash, it will just die against any steel switchin because it has to flare blitz

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I kinda went quiet on this in sheer disbelief and terror that you may be right, and wanted to test the mechanics of Recycle + Air Balloon ingame itself, hoping it wasn't just a simulator error. Unfortunately, you were right. :[

Shame, it was such a fun Klefki set to use, too...Guess I can try Shuca Berry or something? ....Nah. Gonna fix my post up, and I wouldn't have come to this conclusion if you didn't tell me first, so kudos

Hey guys, first post here so bear with me. Had this idea just now for a physical tank variant for Doublade, not too sure of the viability of it or whether it's been posted before in some form but here goes:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Impish

252 HP
172 Def
86 Atk

Autotomize
Iron Head
Shadow Claw
Rock Slide
Idea probably needs tweaking a little, but sounds like it's got some promise to it at least.

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Quick Attack / Stone Edge / Wild Charge
- U-turn

This is seriously powerful. It's like a far stronger Azumarill, with two much more powerful STABs in Return and Earthquake. It carries superior Speed, Offense, and Bulk to Azumarill, and basically has no safe switch ins with it's near perfect Ground/Normal Coverage. It often forces switches against pokemon with it's ground typing, allowing for a safe U-Turn to gain back momentum you may have lost earlier in the match. Your final moveslot is a bit of a Wild Card, between Priority, a way to hit Water Types who check you, or the use of Stone Edge for the EdgeQuake combo. While Gengar counters it nicely, we can always predict it an U-Turn out into other better checks, so far, Diggersby is one of the better wallbreakers I've seen.
Azumarill is bulkier than Diggersby, having 100/80/80 compared to 85/77/77

Chesnaught [Assault Vest]
[Adamant][Bulletproof]
200 HP / 168 Attack / 136 Sp. Defense

•Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer
•Power Up Punch/Hammer Arm
•Earthquake
•Stone Edge/Payback

Did some calcs on this set I previously posted and came up with the above ev spread. With Assault Vest and 136 evs in Sp. Def Chesnaught achieves a sp. def stat of 330. For example, it's enough to survive a Fire Blast from a Standard Mix Mence set

192 SpA Life Orb Salamence Fire Blast vs. +1 200 HP / 136 SpD (custom): 190-226 (51.77 - 61.58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Still, he will only be able OHKO Salamence back if he has a +1 or more from Power Up Punch, so his ability to fight back against Mixmence is limited, but this does show much his bulk improves through Assault Vest.

And even when Gengar gets Sludge Wave back its reduced to a 2HKO under Assault Vest, even when it's Mega Gengar which is actually preferable since he can counter more reliably with Earthquake.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. +1 200 HP / 136 SpD (custom): 281-330 (73.75 - 86.61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Wave vs. +1 200 HP / 136 SpD (custom): 288-338 (75.59 - 88.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

These calcs show how the improved bulk from Assault Vest, not necessarily his ability to counter the above two pokemon. But he can reliably counter some Gengar sets and most Mega Gengar Sets because of Earthquake.

Last edited:
Shield Gyro

Aegislash @ Iron Ball
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- King's Shield
- Shadow Claw
- Sacred Sword/ HP Ice

Concept is a hard hitting Gyro on the beefiest Steel without any gimmicks like trickroom to get it off. Using shield stance to tank the hit then getting to swap to a huge 438 attack to throw a meaty STAB Gyro. Since speed isn't a priority, Autotomize loses half its effectiveness. King's Shield to weaken phys sweepers with type avantage as well as going back to tank stance to take hits for attacks. Rest of moves are for coverage.

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Quick Attack / Stone Edge / Wild Charge
- U-turn

This is seriously powerful. It's like a far stronger Azumarill, with two much more powerful STABs in Return and Earthquake. It carries superior Speed, Offense, and Bulk to Azumarill, and basically has no safe switch ins with it's near perfect Ground/Normal Coverage. It often forces switches against pokemon with it's ground typing, allowing for a safe U-Turn to gain back momentum you may have lost earlier in the match. Your final moveslot is a bit of a Wild Card, between Priority, a way to hit Water Types who check you, or the use of Stone Edge for the EdgeQuake combo. While Gengar counters it nicely, we can always predict it an U-Turn out into other better checks, so far, Diggersby is one of the better wallbreakers I've seen.

This set is basically asking a gengar to switch in and get a free sub up

Firstly, I apologize for the confusion as to bulk, thats my bad.

Also, we do run U-Turn in order to gain momentum. On top of that, Diggersby OHKO's standard gengar with Wild Charge and Stone Edge from full health garunteed. Due to us currently being unable to calculate using diggersby, I calculated using Hippowdon, who has exactly 2x diggersby's health, giving us the perfect candidate for calculation.

So yeah..We aren't walled at all. Instead, we maul gengar's life easily. Even U-Turn does 29%, a solid chunk.

Talonflame @ Focus Sash
-Acrobatics
-Swords Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Will-O-Wisp

Problem with sashburden is if you dont get OHKOd you're deadweight now, also flare blitz

I've Actually had a lot of success with this Klefki:

Modest (+SpAttack/-Attack) or Adamant (+Attack/-SpAttack)
252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 SpDef
Leftovers.
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger
- Foul Play
- Dazzling Gleam/ Play Rough/ Flash Cannon

Klefki alone with no support has been able to take out up to 4 Pokemon regularly (although as you can imagine depending on the pokemon only 1 or none) I would say it's pretty reliable. The general idea is straightforward Thunder wave or swagger (or both) depending on the threat and then deplete HP with Foul play and the other attacking move. Right now i'm using Dazzling gleam just because of straightforward reliability, but since Klefki's attacking stats are equal Play Rough is just as good except it has +10 in BP but a little less accuracy. Flash Cannon is just as powerful as Dazzling Gleam and might provide some coverage in this new gen but i don't have any real experience. I've been using a weakness policy but it only comes into play VERY rarely so I'm thinking Leftovers might be a better idea.

Tanky Aurorus, switch in and toxic their fighting-type switch in, then protect to rack up more Hail+Toxic damage. However, this set is useless vs. Steels, obviously don't stay in.
Aurorus @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Blizzard
- Protect
- Toxic
- Thunderbolt

I haven't seen anyone else use this, and it's only temporary until flying gem gets released, but it's been amazing for me.

Talonflame Lum Berry
Gale Wings
EVs: HP - 110, Atk - 120, Sp Atk - 26, Spd - 252
Nature: Naive

Acrobatics
Flamethrower
Roost
Taunt

I'm aware the EVs are weird. But since flying gem isn't a choice, I like to use Talonflame as a status absorber. Switch in on a predicted spore, eat the lum berry, and lol at people with acrobatics. Flamethrower is just because no recoil, something this frail doesn't need to be killing itself with flare blitz. This set is used much more as a stall breaker, and lives a lot of surprising hits as long as you keep rocks off the field and are smart about what you stay in on.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk (why not?)
- Spikes
- Foul Play
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave

I adore this Klefki, it is almost never deadweight in any situation. Spikes is its support move which it will be using on foes that cannot take it down. Foul Play is Klefki's method of offense and can check physical attackers decently, most notably Aegislash. Light Screen allows Klefki to halt special sweepers like Greninja and Noivern, and coupled with Thunder Wave, Klefki can really put rampaging sweepers in their place in a pinch.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Klefki (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger
- Substitute
It's not that this is a gimmick set, but it's what everyone's trying to say. Use this and liepard and purrloin on the ladder, and maybe we can get swagger banned due to it being so uncompetitive, unfair, etc. Sub up if your foe's likely to use a status move or a move with imperfect accuracy, paralyse everything that's not ground or electric type that switches in, kill with swagger and foul play as and when you're safely behind a substitute. Enrage your opponent and add another person to the list of people who would like swagger banned.

My first post. Sorry if this counts as a gimmick. And I don't recall anyone posting this set yet.
Vivillon@binding band/leftovers
EV's- probably 252 spe and 252 hp, with 4 sp atk. Haven't worked out EV's yet.
Trait- compound eyes
-infestation
-sleep powder
-quiver dance
-hurricane
Bring vivillon in on something that will absorb the sleep so they can bring in a counter without worrying about sleep. Instead of putting them to sleep, use infestation to trap them. Then use sleep powder. Quiver dance freely and repeatedly until it ends or they wake up. I'd say repeat the cycle, but it could end with one less team member for you. If you're confident, go ahead and repeat. I'd recommend just hitting hurricane until infestation runs out and they switch, then use infestation on the switch. Infestation deals 1/8 health every turn for 5 turns. It gets bumped to 1/6 with the binding band. Alternatively, you could run leftovers for less damage but more durability. Vivillon wasn't really designed to survive a lot of hits, so I wouldn't recommend letting a sleeping pokemon escape. After a single QD, it should be fast enough to outspeed most counters, allowing an infestation on the switch and sleep powder to follow for no damage. Feels like I repeated that. Did I miss anything?

Yup, forgot nature. Timid or modest. Timid give more speed and less attack I belive, while modest increases sp atk at the cost of attack. The choice is between more power and more speed to outspeed the other team

Last edited:

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE
THE FACE OF MERCY?

Item: Chesto Berry
Ability: Unburden
Nature: Modest
186 HP/252 Special Attack/72 Speed
Dazzling Gleam
Surf/Flamethrower
Calm Mind
Rest

This set is quite effective because nobody really knows what Slurpuff... does. It's just kind of a cute cream puff with all around stats... until you notice Unburden. This set is all about the surprise Unburden sweep, which I've pulled off, believe it or not. It gets surprisingly good coverage between Dazzling Gleam and Surf alone, though some may prefer Flamethrower to help bust through steels. Really fun to pull off. EVs are calced to outspeed max speed Jolteon at +2, though they may be adjusted as necessary.

Last edited:

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Crunch / Earthquake
- Pursuit

Not the most creative set per se, but I think it's one of the best lead sets in the current metagame. As awesome as Assault Vest Tyranitar is, it really misses the utility it can provide for the team with Stealth Rock. Tyranitar is one of the few viable users of SR in the current X&Y OU, and is arguably one of the most reliable. With the current EV spread + Chople Berry, pretty much the only things that can OHKO this Tyranitar without any boosts are physical fighting types such as Lucario. As well as being a good lead, Tyranitar is an excellent check to threats such as Talonflame and Gengar. Chople Berry ensures that Gengar's Focus Blast will never OHKO a healthy Tyranitar. The choice of Crunch or Earthquake is fairly arbitrary, although both have advantages. Crunch allows TTar to do more damage to the bulkier Psychics/Ghosts if they choose to stay in, whereas Earthquake stops it from being setup fodder for Lucario, whilst still hitting Mega Gengar for SE damage.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Crunch / Earthquake
- Pursuit

Not the most creative set per se, but I think it's one of the best lead sets in the current metagame. As awesome as Assault Vest Tyranitar is, it really misses the utility it can provide for the team with Stealth Rock. Tyranitar is one of the few viable users of SR in the current X&Y OU, and is arguably one of the most reliable. With the current EV spread + Chople Berry, pretty much the only things that can OHKO this Tyranitar without any boosts are physical fighting types such as Lucario. As well as being a good lead, Tyranitar is an excellent check to threats such as Talonflame and Gengar. Chople Berry ensures that Gengar's Focus Blast will never OHKO a healthy Tyranitar. The choice of Crunch or Earthquake is fairly arbitrary, although both have advantages. Crunch allows TTar to do more damage to the bulkier Psychics/Ghosts if they choose to stay in, whereas Earthquake stops it from being setup fodder for Lucario, whilst still hitting Mega Gengar for SE damage.
I like this but I wouldn't call it creative/underrated, it's more or less a standard lead set. To keep the post constructive, I'd add that you might consider Assault Vest over Chople Berry; has the same effect on Fighting-type special attacks, but gives you a bit of a boost against every other type of Special Attack and isn't limited to one consumption. You won't be staying in on physical threats, and things like Lucario will just be hitting you rather than setting up anyway, in experience, especially if this is your first out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)