Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
ok that does make a difference Luigi player I'll try fixing up tyrantrum's head and finish up goomy's tail some time this weekend. Got myself a long weekend so im sure I could get both done soon.

oh and congrats to all who got those badges! keep up the good work :)

Feel free to ignore these...the Vivillion sprite seemed a bit on the dark side, so I've taken a few of the official colours from the art to lighten it up. (Updates are on top, originals are below those)
Vivillionback.png
Vivillionfront.png

Vivillionbackoriginal.png
Vivillionfrontoriginal.png

Also, I noticed that Malamar's lower body is a bit... Static
But there is a way to change this and that is the yellow spots on its chest, which after defeating the superpower spamming annoyance I discovered that they are actually lights that go out when it faints,
so to make the sprite's chest less static you can just make it so that the lights turn off and then back on or something... Which means recoloring (Which i hear is very easy)

ofc just my opinion again,
-Sunny

EDIT: Noticed same thing with Mega Absol but that's not really important

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finally fixed up Mega Venu's back

Also I found out megas have absolutely no gender differences... YAY.

This guy is ready for animation, I'll be working on the Aboma back now.

for ito

23:58Layell: also what do you think of tyrantum's leg animation
23:58Layell: someone thought it was a bit off
00:00Legitimate_Username: Yeah, I must agree.
00:00Legitimate_Username: The way it's getting thinner just seems like moving for the sake of moving.
00:01Legitimate_Username: It should either go forward/backward only, or just stay still.

Last edited:

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Furai, I believe the neck is better now. Took all of five minutes to fix, but I may have gotten a tad distracted with stuff like Trevenant's animation and homework before uploading it.

Anyways, I'm going to have Trevenant's animation done real soon, then I've got a few sprites I need to QC, one of them being Aegislash of course.

EDIT: Totally unrelated, but I'm throwing my support behind red Florges. Yellow is for chumps.
that looks much better, thank you for your hard work!

not necessary for this project in any capacity really.
Eh, you never know. Maybe it'll have some hidden ability or moves that normal Floette lacks. Regardless, it should probably be more of a "we'll do it when it comes out" sorta thing.

Anyway, status update on what I've been doing. I got hit with a lot more schoolwork this week than what I had imagined, so I'm only just now getting to start on Mega Zam's backsprite QC. Hopefully that should be done by the end of the day. Other than that, I would like to postpone my reservation of Noivern as it has a fairly decent placeholder on Showdown atm. I'm going to focus more of my efforts towards updating and creating a backsprite for Mega Aggron over this weekend, as currently it needs some work and I hate having one on my team that insists on using its tail for Head Smash. +_+

I fixed Carbink and completed some new Klefki sprites.
It definitely looks too rigid to me. Check out the ingame model and you'll see that Klefki has more of a fluid property to its metal, and I feel your lines for it, especially around the head area, seem too straight for Klefki. I also feel the current sprite did the key (hooks? protrusions? horns? teeth? what are those even called?) on the top of its head is such a way that they look like they're pointing to the right. The sprite we currently have for Klefki had the right idea in regard to those, as they look more like they're facing with Klefki instead of away from him. In general, I'd say just make the sprite look more alive, as currently it comes off as flat and stiff. Just my two cents on it.

Picture of Klefki in-game is down below. I used it for reference in my critique, so yeah.

It definitely looks too rigid to me. Check out the ingame model and you'll see that Klefki has more of a fluid property to its metal, and I feel your lines for it, especially around the head area, seem too straight for Klefki. I also feel the current sprite did the key (hooks? protrusions? horns? teeth? what are those even called?) on the top of its head is such a way that they look like they're pointing to the right. The sprite we currently have for Klefki had the right idea in regard to those, as they look more like they're facing with Klefki instead of away from him. In general, I'd say just make the sprite look more alive, as currently it comes off as flat and stiff. Just my two cents on it.

Picture of Klefki in-game is down below. I used it for reference in my critique, so yeah.
Funnily enough I spoke with princessofmusic about that (over PM - probably should have mentioned it here instead). She told me the key 'teeth' are intentionally shifted to the side because otherwise, the key teeth look bulky and, perspective wise, don't look quite right (and would take a lot of trial and error to sort properly).

However, I do agree that the sprite seems too straight and rigid, and looks a little off with the teeth being skewed like that.

Here's how the front of mega venusaur is going so far. I need some suggestions. Maybe I should make the flower bob up and down?...

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, you can definitely add some motion to the flowers and the leaves, like in the original animation. Just a little extra up and down movement on them would make quite the difference.

I redid my redo. Is this any better?

The pose looks really good, really liking it.

There are a couple of things I feel seem a little off with the sprite, however. The face looks a little awkward (partly down to the shape of the eyes and mouth, but also the shading seems to merge too much), and I feel the colours used are either too bright or have too much of a contrast (the main key chain part, to be honest - the keys at the bottom look great). Just my personal opinion. I've tried to shade it a little differently so there isn't as much contrast and move the face around a little.

klefki.png
klefki back.png

Pose was probably the wrong word xD Not sure what else to call it haha.

As you said, Klefki's face is hella hard to put into a small amount of pixels - I definitely won't claim mine is accurate either (I'd be lying for a start lol). Suppose for me, it comes down to personal preference with the face - to me, yours looks like it belongs on the Scream picture (no offence xD)

I see what you mean with the 'exotic' palette - I've pushed everything back into the greys and had another go at putting the face together (think the mouth is the biggest problem given it's such a detailed shape for a 3/4 pixel square). I will continue to persist with this xD

klefki.png
klefki back.png

EDIT: The shading looks much better. Still not totally keen on the face, but that's just my opinion (I'm too nitpicky for my own good sometimes lol).

Last edited:
@ Klefki Spriters: I'd add a bit of shading on the keys, as they look a tad flat with the current shading. Other than that, this is definitely an improvement.

Now, for the main even- oh hey, Big Zam.

And holy christ is Big Zam's waist thin as a pencil. I guess when you're on a diet of pure Kentwood water for long enough, you just start to waste away. Anywho, if anyone wants to tinker with these more now that I've corrected the lineart, feel free to take a stab at it. I'm moving onto Megaggron next. +)

I hope this doesn't seem rude and I apologize if the change seems unnecessary or steps on any toes, but can I offer an alternate (quality check I suppose?) to the current Tyrantrum sprite? It's not a poorly done sprite by any means, but some things about it just... don't quite look like Tyrantrum to me? So here's my own version. I'm happy to take critique and the like, and if nobody likes it, I don't mind. I figured I'd post it regardless, if that's all right...

It should hopefully be scaled correctly, as I made sure to compare it to Scolipede's sprite, which shares its height. Otherwise in general it just seemed like it needed a bit more bulk. I also enjoy the closed mouth on the 3d model, so that's present as well.

This is super late but like yeah if you guys HAD decided to change Tyrantrum's sprite to be paler, yes it could have been done with the program I've been using. On that note, I finished shiny Malamar, so I can post that later when I get off my butt

CometTheMicroraptor The feet look a bit... Flattened D: Especially its right foot.

also wow shiny sprite badges cool o: you guys are doing so much work with these sprites, you deserve it <3

I did a bit of QC on Fletchinder's sprite.

Old sprite on bottom, I adjusted the size of the eye and corresponding marking.

And then it happened. I got really bored, and fiddled with the wing. I by no means expect to have either of these updates used, but sometimes I just like to feel useful sometimes lol.

If anyone by chance likes the sprite, specifically the adjusting wings one, I will qc it more, but otherwise, hell, I still will, but for personal use.

I did a bit of QC on Fletchinder's sprite.

Old sprite on bottom, I adjusted the size of the eye and corresponding marking.

And then it happened. I got really bored, and fiddled with the wing. I by no means expect to have either of these updates used, but sometimes I just like to feel useful sometimes lol.

If anyone by chance likes the sprite, specifically the adjusting wings one, I will qc it more, but otherwise, hell, I still will, but for personal use.
To be honest the sprite in general seems pale compared with Fletchling and Talonflame - I think the colour palette is a little bit too light.

Your pose edit looks alright to me :)

Last night, I completed a new Fletchinder front sprite. It's based on the Sugimori art, imitates Wyv's style convincingly (and thus fits in with the other two), and looks solid overall. The big problem is I can't seem to put together a decent back for it.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm interested in seeing new Fletch, although I'm really caring about megas.

Klefki

modified eye, made the third key the right colour, compared to Quany's for some back shading.

New Mega Zam really needs a clearer eye, what a diet he went on :O

I'm also really not interested in a new Tyrantum because it is very complete, while Comet you've got a nice sprite the angle and style overall are not part of the BW style, also everything pom said. I am a stickler for style, and there is a difference between a good sprite and a BW style sprite.

To really, really convince me to replace sprites I think are already wonderfully done it's gotta be the complete package of what is already up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)