VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, I'm looking to get into competitive VGC and was wondering what anyone thought of this team so far (any/all help is appreciated): Dragonite, Blissey, Togekiss, Forretress, and Wobbuffet. Don't have my 6th yet and moves items finalized yet. Thanks in advance!

One must not write off Slowbro as just a physically bulky Slowking, as its unique traits allow it to fill a role that Slowking simply cannot.
That's a line from the VGC analysis of Slowbro. It might be just us but we think that the analysis does not exactly specify what Slowbro's unique qualities are. What can Slowbro do what Slowking cannot?

That's a line from the VGC analysis of Slowbro. It might be just us but we think that the analysis does not exactly specify what Slowbro's unique qualities are. What can Slowbro do what Slowking cannot?
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Payback (50) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowbro: 92-110 (45.5 - 54.4%)
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Payback (50) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 120-142 (59.4 - 70.2%)

They was just refering to the fact Slowbro can take physical hits better. In my opinion for a dedicated Trick Room team Slowbro highest special attack and physical bulk is better than Slowking. But going full Trick Room is very risky as you may find yourself unable to set it up that's why Slowking get more usage.

(in the above calc, Slow's spread was 252HP/252 Sp. Atk)

Whats a good Special Fire Tank with overheat?

Trying to get a good Malamar parter
Rotom-H is a good choice, his bulk and interesting array of resistance (4x to steel and 2x to fairy) can really help also he get good support move (will-o-wisp, Thunder wave, pain Split) just add a Sitrus or Lum berry to the mix and try it out.

Thanks tlyee61.

Another question (lol); how do I ask for help for my current VGC team? Can I just post a thread or is there a specific RMT for VGC 2014?

Another question (lol); how do I ask for help for my current VGC team? Can I just post a thread or is there a specific RMT for VGC 2014?
You can post it in the Others Teams subforum of the RMT section here on Smogon but remember to add the "VGC" tag in title so is way more easy for raters to find it. You can post it on the Rate My Team section of Nuggetbridge too, since they are a VGC exclusive comunity you don't need to add any extra tag and will reach a specific audience.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
it auto-levels them to 50
VGC does not obey that rule. It only delevels Pokemon down to 50; Pokemon level 49 and below stay their exact level. This is important as certain Pokemon are only viable at level 1, like Sturdy Aron.

VGC does not obey that rule. It only delevels Pokemon down to 50; Pokemon level 49 and below stay their exact level. This is important as certain Pokemon are only viable at level 1, like Sturdy Aron.
he was asking whether he should set the levels on the showdown teambuilder to 50. also, showdown also allows for under-50 to stay this way. Sorry, I should have made my post more clear in that it levels then down to 50.

I used Ctrl + F in the official VGC rules for Mewtwo & found 0 results. Does this mean that Mewtwo is allowed? I'm asking because they usually list banned Pokemon that are in the specific Pokedex.

I used Ctrl + F in the official VGC rules for Mewtwo & found 0 results. Does this mean that Mewtwo is allowed? I'm asking because they usually list banned Pokemon that are in the specific Pokedex.
The Pokemon allowed include Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #153, and Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147. Mewtwo is #151 in the Mountain Kalos Pokedex and is not allowed.

The Pokemon allowed include Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #153, and Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147. Mewtwo is #151 in the Mountain Kalos Pokedex and is not allowed.
Crap. I thought for sure it was allowed. Okay, thanks.

What moves are current unobtainable but will soon be obtainable for VGC? This means egg moves currently unobtainable, like Perish Song on Gengar. Is there a list anywhere? If not, can a thread be made figuring out these things?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
What moves are current unobtainable but will soon be obtainable for VGC? This means egg moves currently unobtainable, like Perish Song on Gengar. Is there a list anywhere? If not, can a thread be made figuring out these things?
The only moves missing are specific egg moves, since previous generation tutor moves are illegal.

The only moves missing are specific egg moves, since previous generation tutor moves are illegal.
I'm aware, but is there a list of these anywhere? Helps with breeding, but I'm not sure how relevant this list would be. ie. Don't want to breed gastlys right now because I'd have to breed them again when I have access to perish song that I need for VGC.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Excuse me if this question has already been addressed (I'm too lazy to wad through all 53 pages lol)

How exactly do you enter official VGC tournaments? Is there a sign up on the official page? Are there qualifying matches as well?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Excuse me if this question has already been addressed (I'm too lazy to wad through all 53 pages lol)

How exactly do you enter official VGC tournaments? Is there a sign up on the official page? Are there qualifying matches as well?
For US Regionals, you can usually just show up with your DS and game and be ready to play. There will be a small registration process before the games actually start. You want to have a Play ID already created at www.pokemon.com but the staff running the regionals will usually help you out if you don't have one.

I don't know about US Nationals, other Nationals tournaments (UK, France, etc), Last Chance Qualifier or Worlds, though.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For US Regionals, you can usually just show up with your DS and game and be ready to play. There will be a small registration process before the games actually start. You want to have a Play ID already created at www.pokemon.com but the staff running the regionals will usually help you out if you don't have one.

I don't know about US Nationals, other Nationals tournaments (UK, France, etc), Last Chance Qualifier or Worlds, though.
Thank you!

Um, not exactly sure if this goes here, but here goes anyway:

Can anyone tell me a reasonable way to counter Mega Kanga? And if this kind of question is not allowed here, can someone tell me where I can post this?

I'm having a hard time fighting against Mega Kanga in my Trick Room team. He just wrecks me before I can even do anything, whether it's setting up trick room or outright killing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)