Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Hello I'm new, but despite that I made shiny Noivern out of aXl's Noivern and I also did a few touch ups on his Noivern.

I made the fur collar whiter, made the body color darker, edited the blue colors on the wings, and I also edited the tail part that was purple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since Quany isn't going to post the fact she had a noivern on the chart recently I'm posting it

I think we can pull some colour correction on this, and a bit of face QC, but hey it's a front and back.

I might actually sprite again once exams over.

Last edited:
sunny004 :I was aware of the issue with the eyes before, but as viperdk1 pointed out, Quilladen's eyes are kind of difficult to emulate at that scale. Now that the color's been changed, I can try messing with them again to see if I can get a better result, because perhaps it was just my choice of palette that was making it hard to work with. I'll check on it during the day and see if I can scrounge anything up.

viperdk1 :Thanks for updating Doublade, because I completely forgot about fixing him with Noivern and returning to school post-Thanksgiving. Not entirely sold on the new gold color, but looks very solid and great as a whole. +)

TheColorOfSprites :I feel the updated Noivern palette is a little too lacking in contrast is certain areas, so I tweaked it a bit on my home computer. Unfortunately I don't have the updated colors to post atm, but I plan on posting it up later today when I wrap up the rest of PoM's critiques. As for the shiny, again, the colors are a little glaring atm. Might need to tone down the contrast a bit. Also, thanks for pointing out that it's neck fur is gray. It looked tan on the in-game shot I had, but that must have just been the lighting in my room.

princessofmusic :I honestly think Honedge looks pretty sweet as it stands currently. I'm not entirely sure if I know what you mean in saying it doesn't look that "sword-y;" if you could elaborate, I might could see if I can do what you're looking for. Glad to hear you like Doublade though. Also I have a DA account, even if I haven't used it in ages. I could hit up the guy when I get home if we're looking for volunteers. And yeah, that Dedenne sprite is really good, so I definitely understand your reasoning there.

StatusUpdate: I'll be working on doing some final touches to Noivern's frontsprite today, seeing what I can do about Quilladen, and preparing myself to tackle Noivern's backsprite when I create the lineart and sprite it tomorrow.

Prefer Trevenant looking downwards to be honest - can't really put my finger on why though. Do like the update you've made to the eye though.

No need to sell yourself short with Honedge though. As aXl said, it's a sweet sprite - definitely an improvement on what we had previously. I'd say it just needs a backsprite :)

I've sent a note to GeoisEvil on behalf of smogon - that really is a top notch Dedenne sprite. Really surprised he said he would look to redo it on DA. xD

Apologies to Layell btw, don't want to feel like I'm pressuring for the spreadsheet to be updated xD

The Doublade colours were down to the colours from the Honedge sprite Princessofmusic had initially put in her palette. Might work to give both a look over for those particular colours.

And I'm going to be a stickler, but it's spelt Quilladin. :U

On a seperate note, there's been an issue with Tyrunt that's been bugging me for a while - it seems to be facing straight off to the left rather than being on an angle.
tyrunt.png

EDIT: Thought Binacle and Barbaracle's colours didn't look quite right (i.e. they didn't match up), so here's my take:
binacle and barbaracle.png

Last edited:
No need to sell yourself short with Honedge though. As aXl said, it's a sweet sprite - definitely an improvement on what we had previously. I'd say it just needs a backsprite :)
According to the spreadsheet, Honedge actually does have a backsprite. I haven't compared them side-by side, so no idea how well they match up. For a second there, I thought you were saying it didn't have one and I would have freaked, lol.

The Doublade colours were down to the colours from the Honedge sprite Princessofmusic had initially put in her palette. Might work to give both a look over for those particular colours.
I could have sworn all of the golds I took barring the highlight were from Honedge's sprite as well. I need to compare them side by side again, apparently.

On a seperate note, there's been an issue with Tyrunt that's been bugging me for a while - it seems to be facing straight off to the left rather than being on an angle.
View attachment 5194
It seems every time Tyrunt shows up there are issues with it. I might tackle this thing next just to get it out of the way. T-Rex alway was my least favorite dinosaur, so I'm honestly not surprised that it's causing its usual problems. Darn T-Rexes, always ruining everything. Almost as bad as Spinnikers...

Almost.

And I'm going to be a stickler, but it's spelt Quilladin. :U
... and so it is. +~+

According to the spreadsheet, Honedge actually does have a backsprite. I haven't compared them side-by side, so no idea how well they match up. For a second there, I thought you were saying it didn't have one and I would have freaked, lol.
The backsprite on the spreadsheet is the one from the previous sprite and not the Honedge that princessofmusic made - hence why I said it needed a backsprite.

I could have sworn all of the golds I took barring the highlight were from Honedge's sprite as well. I need to compare them side by side again, apparently.
The colours certainly changed when I transferred the colours across to Doublade - so yeah, could do with having a look at the gold colours for both. Maybe you took the golds from Aegislash instead?

It seems every time Tyrunt shows up there are issues with it. I might tackle this thing next just to get it out of the way. T-Rex alway was my least favorite dinosaur, so I'm honestly not surprised that it's causing its usual problems. Darn T-Rexes, always ruining everything. Almost as bad as Spinnikers...

Almost.
No comment xD

Any comments on Binacle and Barbaracle? (Note, edited the sprites above - just realised I'd edited a colour I shouldn't have XD)

The Barnacle duo look pretty good, imo. I feel like the only things that need work on them still is that the necks on Binacle lack any sort of shading whatsoever, and Barbaracle's stripes have some unecessary outlines that could easily be removed or brightened for a cleaner look. Aside from that though, I like the new colors on the two.

Also, am I the only one here that thinks Barbaracle could double as a Megaman boss?

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I was kinda envisioning this as being a bit better, but I guess that two ribbons on a blade doesn't exactly leave a lot of room for creativity in its movements. This quality animation better bring Aegislash back to the top of the usage stats.

I guess it's back to Mega Gardevoir now. At least this time I know what I'm in for.

EDIT: Fixed an animation issue with the blade forme's backsprite.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

I was kinda envisioning this as being a bit better, but I guess that two ribbons on a blade doesn't exactly leave a lot of room for creativity in its movements. This quality animation better bring Aegislash back to the top of the usage stats.

I guess it's back to Mega Gardevoir now. At least this time I know what I'm in for.
Even though it looks pretty cool, I do think its a bit fast. Dont think it would really be moving that fast. If you slow it down a little I think it would look better.

Had a response from GeoisEvil from Deviantart: "Sure thing, that's fine with me, any other Gen 6 sprites of mine you are free to use as well, I'm a big fan of Pokemon Showdown
"

As such, I've always thought the Chespin we have looked a little awkward (particularly with the feet). Having borrowed Geo's Chespin sprites and given them a fresh coat of paint, here's the full Chespin line just so people can look the trio over. :)

Chespin line.png

I might have a look at Geo's Fennekin too and see if it's any better than what we have.

Last edited:
That looks so much better - I've added it into my line picture, so here what it looks like with a slightly updated palette:
Chespin line.png

Also, as I've started this malarkey, I'll finish - the Froakie line is fine imo, so Fennekin was all that was left:
Fennekin line.png

I've edited all three to match the palette of GeoisEvil's Fennekin. The eye of Delphox has been given a slight edit, whilst I've had a go at adding feet onto the Delphox sprite - they probably do need work still, but I'm a bit more satisfied with that sprite imo.

Now, I'm no spriter, but after looking at that picture of Quilladin for an agonizingly long time, I noticed something about it: the eyes seem to be the wrong shape (in the battle picture, they're a bit more like a thinner oval than in the sprite). I may have completely messed up the inside of the eyes (and possibly the rest of the face) by doing this, but I think the shape of the eyes is a little bit more accurate?

Quilladin2.png

Now, I'm no spriter, but after looking at that picture of Quilladin for an agonizingly long time, I noticed something about it: the eyes seem to be the wrong shape (in the battle picture, they're a bit more like a thinner oval than in the sprite). I may have completely messed up the inside of the eyes (and possibly the rest of the face) by doing this, but I think the shape of the eyes is a little bit more accurate?

View attachment 5231
Looks better imo.

View attachment 5231
It looks good, but it's missing the highlight. I had originally tried doing something along those lines, but wasn't sure if I could omit the highlight since its in most of his art. If everyone's ok with removing it though, I'd be cool with this edit for sure.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
hm. thing is that with all of his art and ingame sprite is that they arent limited by a small box of pixels. Might have to sacrifice 1 or 2 details to make other more noticeable sections more accurate.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Hi. 1st I would like to say: great job you guys are pulling doing the animations, and sprites; but I have 1 problem:

You see, the animation on Vivillon's wings don't look fluid while flapping it's wings. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Butterfree is flapping it's wings fluidly, while Vivillon isn't, and it's flapping a slow manner.
Also, I would like to point out, Vivillon's antennas need some fixing. If you could work on this bit, that would be wonderful. Thanks.

Last edited:
That looks so much better - I've added it into my line picture, so here what it looks like with a slightly updated palette:
View attachment 5210

Also, as I've started this malarkey, I'll finish - the Froakie line is fine imo, so Fennekin was all that was left:
View attachment 5211
I've edited all three to match the palette of GeoisEvil's Fennekin. The eye of Delphox has been given a slight edit, whilst I've had a go at adding feet onto the Delphox sprite - they probably do need work still, but I'm a bit more satisfied with that sprite imo.
Chespin and Fenneken's sprite are way too big o.o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)