Challenge The Orange League Round 3 (Deadline January 24th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Art by Kadew)
Welcome everyone to Round 3! You should all know the drill by now, but if you don't, check out this thread. So without further ado, let's jump into the next challenge:

~*Challenge*~
This week, we're finally venturing off into the side-games with Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire, for the GBA! No twists or any funny business for this round, your goal is simply to get the highest score possible on the Ruby stage.

Rules and Guidelines:
1. Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire for GBA, Ruby stage. Normal ball speed.
2. Please do not submit past scores: go out and get a new one.
3. No glitch abuse, cheats, save state abuse, RNG manipulation, screenshot manipulation, submitting someone else's score as your own, etc. If we have solid reason to believe you have cheated you WILL be permanently disqualified from this round and all future rounds, as well as have your name stricken from the leader board. Also, Hulavuta will cry.
4. No sign-ups required, but posting on this topic if you're interested in competing would be appreciated.
5. All submissions must be in by 11:59PM EST on January 23rd, 2014.
6. In the event of a tie, (lol) the person who submitted their score first will win.

Submitting:

Start a Conversation with TheOrangeLeague and send us photographic (screenshots or camera photos) proof of your streak. You can submit as many times as you want. What we're looking for is this:

You can access this from the high scores screen. It seems the game comes pre-loaded with high scores, but these should be easy enough to bump off.

IMPORTANT: To help prevent cheating, please put your name as "OLR3" so we know that the score was only done for this contest.

If you have any further questions, first refer to the main topic. If that fails, then contact either Hulavuta or Jimera0 via forum conversation or in #orangeislands.

Good luck everyone, and have fun!

Last edited:
Why did we decide to bring me back to my love-hate relationship with Pokemon Pinball?

Anyway, I'm participating this week. I haven't played this version of Pokemon Pinball in a while so it's taking some adjustment.

Why do I keep coming back to this whyyyyyyyyyyyy. There is nothing on earth more frustrating than having your damn ball go everywhere EXCEPT where you want it to go, and the harder you try to make it go where you want it to go the MORE IT SCREWS YOU OVER WITH BALL ENDING BOUNCES ARRRHRHRHHRHHGHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

*breath*
I need a break.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
This game as the worst controls in history. Also: I am really really bad at it and don't really understand what I am doing past "keep the ball in play".

Like, what the hell is the Kekleon Bonus thing?

I strongly recommend that people read a short guide on the mechanics of this game actually, it'll help you a LOT with getting a high score. This is a decent FAQ that should help you get started.

I'll leave a few tips here too:
1. Your score is going to have to be in the billions to compete for 1st place and likely any other placing.
2. Get Pika-saver ASAP, either from the slots or the Pokemart. Not having to worry about the outside gutters will extend the life of you current ball many times and is absolutely key to getting high scores.
3. You should try to keep a field multiplier going as often as you can, ESPECIALLY for bonus levels, which net you most of your points. Going into a bonus stage with a Master Ball vs a Pokeball will be the difference between 100 million points and 500 million points with the later bonus levels. A field multiplier is when you upgrade your Pokeball btw.
4. Don't forget that you can tilt the game as much as you want without consequence; use this to your advantage when possible.
5. Be patient. This game takes some practice to get good at and sometimes you just get bad luck. Try, try again!

Good luck everyone!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I strongly recommend that people read a short guide on the mechanics of this game actually, it'll help you a LOT with getting a high score. This is a decent FAQ that should help you get started.

I'll leave a few tips here too:
1. Your score is going to have to be in the billions to compete for 1st place and likely any other placing.
2. Get Pika-saver ASAP, either from the slots or the Pokemart. Not having to worry about the outside gutters will extend the life of you current ball many times and is absolutely key to getting high scores.
3. You should try to keep a field multiplier going as often as you can, ESPECIALLY for bonus levels, which net you most of your points. Going into a bonus stage with a Master Ball vs a Pokeball will be the difference between 100 million points and 500 million points with the later bonus levels. A field multiplier is when you upgrade your Pokeball btw.
4. Don't forget that you can tilt the game as much as you want without consequence; use this to your advantage when possible.
5. Be patient. This game takes some practice to get good at and sometimes you just get bad luck. Try, try again!

Good luck everyone!
You can upgrade the ball? Wth with the mechanics of this game? And wow billions lol... I haven't even scratched 50 million yet...

I'm in, though if Im not confident in my score I may not submit lol. I got over 100,000,000 one time, but haven't been able to do it again. It helps that I logged like 100+hours back when it was released on GBA.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm in, though if Im not confident in my score I may not submit lol. I got over 100,000,000 one time, but haven't been able to do it again. It helps that I logged like 100+hours back when it was released on GBA.
Don't be afraid to submit even if you don't think you'll win. Top 5 placers get points, and we don't reveal who submitted or their scores except for those 5. So if your score is extremely low, nobody will know anyway.

(But as you can tell by the thread, most people here are noobs of the game so you'll probably have a good shot of winning anyway :P)

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh, apparently you can join even if it's in the third round. Might as well give it a shot.
Yeah, the title is a bit misleading...the rounds aren't exactly rounds like a tournament. Each round is self-contained. We're going to stop putting the round number in the title for future rounds to prevent this confusion.

Also, for people playing the actual game and are worried about a blurry picture, feel free to type the score as well. If it resembles the picture enough it'll count.

Although I can't join in for any of these as I either lack the game or aren't yet far enough in the game, I have an idea. There should be 2 categories, round winner and overall winner. The person with the most points that round wins round winner category. For overall winner, all scores from all rounds get added together, and divided by the number of rounds.

Exactly how many points each person gets would be determined later, if this idea is accepted.

Although I can't join in for any of these as I either lack the game or aren't yet far enough in the game, I have an idea. There should be 2 categories, round winner and overall winner. The person with the most points that round wins round winner category. For overall winner, all scores from all rounds get added together, and divided by the number of rounds.

Exactly how many points each person gets would be determined later, if this idea is accepted.
You mean like this? :P

Yeah we already do that, more or less. Instead of doing the whole dividing thing though we just have a scoring system where you get points based on how high you place, and those points accumulate over time and determine where you are on the leaderboard. As we only have had two rounds completed so far and in both rounds completely different people placed, currently all 5 of the current places are ties, but that'll clear up as we get more people placing in multiple rounds.. Anyway, if you compete regularly you'll be rewarded by topping the leaderboard, so keep on competing!

Hulavuta

Whoo! I am dead tired but I really wanted to get these scores in so yeah.

These scores were actually hilarious...they remind me of Dragon Ball Z power levels and how those grew exponentially and got out of hand REALLY quickly. A few of the scores are literally several hundred times better than the other scores funnily enough.

In 5th place we have Level 51 who finished with a score of 72,973,100

In 4th place we have Kavatika who edged him out with 117,952,400

In 3rd, we've got sb879 who finished with 411,515,100 points

In 2nd place, we have Jimera0, who scored 3,279,832,792 on his best run

AND IN FIRST PLACE WE HAVE NONE OTHER THAN

Netmonmatt !!!

He finished with a top score of 4,201,677,906 which is just absurdly high. He was actually in the IRC channel while playing and we all saw how it took him over 2 hours to get this score. So yeah.

Make sure to pick up your banner from Stellar and see you all next week!

That is all.

Indeed, gg. Also I'm pretty sure I'm going to swear off pinball games for the next month, I've never played one game of Pinball for four hours straight.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Haha this means I was last :P

Congrats to NetmonMatt though, nice playing and just trudging through that boredom level! :P

I knew that if I ran into anyone else that actually knew how to play the game that my 3 billion points wouldn't hold up (before I erased the high scores on this file I had one at 6 billion for this stage) but I sure as hell wasn't up for continuing with it. Pokemon Pinball can be a real trial, as I've already detailed in an earlier post on this thread.

I'll update the home topic with the new scores now. Keep your eyes peeled for when we post the next challenge on Monday people, me and Hula have something extra special planned this time!

I'm glad I missed this one. I wouldn't have got near even fifth place most likely.

I'm going to hope for a less masochistic challenge next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)