Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it still possible to get a Sheer Force Landorus? I don't know how the Dream Radar works. If I bought Black 2 and somehow used the Dream Radar could I find a sheer force landorus?

Is it viable for xerneas to have hidden power fighting?
Not really, when it learns Focus Blast.

edit: I don't mean that Hidden Power Fighting Xerneas is nonviable, just you shouldn't run Hidden Power Fighting over it's other coverage options (Psyshock, Thunder, Focus Blast). You can get by fine without a good Hidden Power on Xerneas.

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What are some good checks for DD Mega Gyarados? It seems every team I make it's been a pain in the ass to deal with. It does suffer from massive 4mss, but once I figure out what it does and doesn't have it's usually too late.

What are some good checks for DD Mega Gyarados? It seems every team I make it's been a pain in the ass to deal with. It does suffer from massive 4mss, but once I figure out what it does and doesn't have it's usually too late.
Ferrothorn / Forretress / Mega Lucario do pretty well, but Mega-Luc will be banned as will the other check I'd suggest, Genesect. Just for reference:

+6 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 324-382 (92 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 372-438 (105 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Vacuum Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 296-352 (89.1 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

At +6 is the only time it can come close to breaking through them, and Lucario can Vacuum Wave it if it has set up, otherwise it won't be able to.

The moves are very predictable, waterfall/EQ(mold breaker)/Ice fang is the standard set. Bite is unlikely to deal major damage, and bounce, well, you can see it.

It does get a resttalk set but that is for non-Mevo.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Ahh that sucks, thanks for the reply though. Looks like I'll be RNGing up to 4th gen Pokemon only and maybe taking a look at how to RNG in BW. Do you know if there is ongoing research (on smogon) into the RNG method for gen 6?
Supposedly MMing + shiny charm gives ~1/400 chance of getting a shiny.

Though getting the right IVs, nature, and gender is still up in the air. At least the ability capsule exists now.

if bullet seed hit sap sipper, would the move continue hitting after the 1st boost or would it stop immediately?

Also, if a pokemon regain full HP, will its focus sash become intact again?

if bullet seed hit sap sipper, would the move continue hitting after the 1st boost or would it stop immediately?

Also, if a pokemon regain full HP, will its focus sash become intact again?
Bullet Seed only activates Sap Sipper once.

Focus Sash only works once (unless Recycle); see Shedinja.

I'm gonna make a special attack sweeper blaziken for the surprise factor and I'm thinking
Ability: speed boost
*wide lens
-substitute
-fire blast
-focus blast
-sunny day
The substitute in order to be able to set up sunny day for the 50% power increase towards fire blast.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm gonna make a special attack sweeper blaziken for the surprise factor and I'm thinking
*wide lens
-substitute
-fire blast
-focus blast
-sunny day
The substitute in order to be able to set up sunny day for the 50% power increase towards fire blast.
Since you're posting on the OU version of this thread, it needs saying: Blaziken is banned in all incarnations in OU.

Infernape is probably a better choice, anyway; it gets mildly better coverage (with Grass Knot at the least), doesn't need to wait for a Speed Boost to be blazing fast, and gets Nasty Plot.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
*wide lens
-substitute
-fire blast
-focus blast
-sunny day
That sounds terrible. There doesn't need to be any surprise factor when physical blaziken just about sweeps everything, really.

Can you use two different accounts to get voting reqs?
That's against smogon's rules so I would assume no.

I would like to discuss Rain (dance) teams and their "viability" in XY. Where could an OP for this be placed?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/is-weather-still-viable.3490611/

I have a Destiny Knot breeding question, in terms of how exactly it functions.

I have a Tentacruel with 4 perfect IVs, in Spe, SDef, Def, and HP. If I have this (male) Tentacruel hold the Destiny Knot, and a second (female) Tenatcool with a perfect SAtk holding the Power Lens, will this result in a Tenatcool with 5 perfect IVs (everything but Atk)? Could I replace the female Tentacool with a Ditto with perfect SAtk and get the same results? If the answer is no, could you explain what it is about the Destiny Knot mechanic I am not understanding? I ask rather than test because said Tentacruel is still trapped in my Gen 5 games, and I haven't been trading or farming for perfect IVs in XY of yet.

As a side note, I only sign into Smogon once every few months... Why is my avatar an animated Haxorous? I'm pretty sure I never put that there. Did I get randomly assigned that?

I have a Tentacruel with 4 perfect IVs, in Spe, SDef, Def, and HP. If I have this (male) Tentacruel hold the Destiny Knot, and a second (female) Tenatcool with a perfect SAtk holding the Power Lens, will this result in a Tenatcool with 5 perfect IVs (everything but Atk)? Could I replace the female Tentacool with a Ditto with perfect SAtk and get the same results? If the answer is no, could you explain what it is about the Destiny Knot mechanic I am not understanding? I ask rather than test because said Tentacruel is still trapped in my Gen 5 games, and I haven't been trading or farming for perfect IVs in XY of yet.

As a side note, I only sign into Smogon once every few months... Why is my avatar an animated Haxorous? I'm pretty sure I never put that there. Did I get randomly assigned that?
Dunno about the avatar.

Destiny Knot has the same effect no matter which parent it's attached to; it causes 5 IVs to be passed down, selected randomly from either parent, instead of 3.

Power items cause the linked IV to be passed down from the Pokemon that holds it.

The offspring will have the female Tentacool's Special Attack IV, guaranteed. They will have four other IVs passed down from either the Tentacruel or the Tentacool, each one selected randomly. They will have one IV rolled randomly. (Yes, the guaranteed IV from the Tentacool does count against one of the five IVs passed from the parents by the Destiny Knot!)

(As a side note, you ought to evolve that Tentacool before you try breeding; if the pokemon species matches, it significantly boosts the egg production rate, and with matched species AND the Tentacruel having a different OT, they'll be popping out eggs faster than you can hatch them.)

Replacing the female Tentacool with a Ditto with the same x/x/x/31/x/x spread and a Power Lens would have the exact same effect, so stick with the Tentacool and evolve it for a higher egg rate.

To summarize briefly, by itself, for simplicity: Destiny Knot, when held by either parent in Gen 6, causes all offspring to inherit 5 of their 6 IVs from their parents, instead of the normal 3. All 5 IVs are still randomly selected from the two parents, so who holds the destiny knot doesn't matter at all.

Basically, a random 5th gen sprite of a Pokemon is given to anybody who hasn't changed their profile picture.

Does the damage increase from Knock Off still apply even if the Pokemon is holding a mega stone?

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
yes, smogon's default avatars are randomly-assigned animated pokemon sprites. mine was glaceon.
So I want to breed a garchomp.

What's is the best set for a Garchomp for this current mata?
Stealth Rock is the most common, I believe. But since you're breeding that, you can't have it, unless you transfer it from 4th gen. It's also a 5th gen tutor move.

Other than Stealth Rock, there are 4 viable sets: Choice Scarf, Choice Band, Swords Dance, and mixed mega chomp.

name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Outrage / Dragon Claw
move 4: Fire Fang / Stone Edge
ability: Rough Skin
item: Yache Berry / Garchompite
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Outrage / Dragon Claw
move 4: Swords Dance / Fire Blast
item: Lum Berry / Focus Sash
nature: Jolly / Naive
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Garchompite
nature: Naughty
evs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe

These are taken straight from the QC thread. But these are also very good garchomp sets:

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf / Band
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly - Rough Skin
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw / Dual Chop / Fire Fang (i used this personally just for gene)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)