OU Zapdos

Overview
########

Zapdos is a great defensive check to several threats thanks to a few traits. The first is reliable recovery in the form of Roost, allowing it to stay healthy throughout the match, unlike many other Electric-types. The second is its solid bulk, which, coupled with a good defensive typing, allows Zapdos to check some of the tier's most dangerous threats, such as Aegislash, Mega Pinsir, and Scizor. Finally, Zapdos gets Defog, and is one of the best users of the move in OU. It can beat Bisharp, something no other Defogger can do except Mandibuzz, and is also useful outside of Defog. Unfortunately, Zapdos is held back by a Stealth Rock weakness and does not have the sheer bulk that some other defensive Pokemon possess. Furthermore, the Thundurus formes, both of which boast much more useful offensive abilities and Nasty Plot to help muscle through walls, outclass Zapdos offensively. When using Zapdos, be mindful of its limitations and play to its strengths and it will be very effective.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Roost
move 3: Defog
move 4: Heat Wave / Toxic / U-turn
ability: Pressure
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Zapdos's best STAB option, packing respectable power thanks to its base 125 Special Attack. Roost helps keep Zapdos alive and mitigates its weakness to Stealth Rock. Defog lets Zapdos keep any entry hazards off of the field. Heat Wave is the best option in the last spot to hit Steel-types like Scizor, Bisharp, and Ferrothorn very hard. Toxic can be used to wear down common switch-ins like Landorus-T, while U-turn can help Zapdos pivot on those predicted switches. Hidden Power Ice can be used for good coverage alongside Thunderbolt and hurt switch-ins such as Garchomp.

Set Details
========

The EVs and Bold nature are designed to maximize Zapdos's physical bulk while still allowing it to outspeed maximum Speed Aegislash. Although Zapdos takes one more point of damage from Stealth Rock with 252 HP EVs, it also gets one extra point of Leftovers recovery, making up for it. The 68 Special Attack EVs guarantee the OHKO on Mega Pinsir with Thunderbolt, while the rest go into Defense to improve Zapdos's physical bulk. An alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpD / 16 Spe with a Calm nature is also good, allowing Zapdos to still counter Mega Pinsir while also taking on special threats like Thundurus and Landorus. Leftovers is the best item to improve longevity, but Rocky Helmet can also be used to punish physical attackers.

Usage Tips
========

Try not to switch Zapdos into Stealth Rock too much without using Roost in between, as keeping it from being worn down by entry hazards is worth the loss of some momentum. When Stealth Rock is on the field, don't use Zapdos to handle things that will probably just U-turn out like Scizor; Zapdos will get worn down quickly if you do. Instead, save Zapdos for your opponent's sweepers that you can't handle otherwise, such as Mega Pinsir and Lucario. Try to keep Zapdos away from status because it hurts its longevity, especially Toxic. In general, try to keep Stealth Rock off the field as much as possible.

Team Options
========

Physical Fighting-types are good teammates for Zapdos as they can scare away or set up on Tyranitar and Chansey, two Pokemon that like to switch in on Zapdos. Terrakion is a particularly good choice as Zapdos handles two of its strongest checks, Scizor and Aegislash, very well. Cleric support from the likes of Sylveon, Clefable, and Chansey is also nice to alleviate Zapdos's status woes. Wish support from them can also help Zapdos switch into Stealth Rock and powerful attacks without being forced to Roost, and Zapdos can take Steel- and Fighting-type attacks for them. In turn, they can switch into Pokemon such as Latios that beat Zapdos. Many Dragon-types such as Garchomp and Mega Charizard X can set up on Zapdos, so having a physically defensive Pokemon such as Hippowdon to handle them is very helpful.

Other Options
########

Zapdos has several other options for sets. Substitute + Roost used to be a popular set on Zapdos, but it has trouble being very effective. Roar is a good move for shuffling the opponent's Pokemon and phazing out boosting sweepers. Volt Switch can be used, but Zapdos doesn't always want to switch and can get worn down that way. Discharge is another option, but it lacks the power of Thunderbolt. For example, it can't OHKO Mega Pinsir. Air Cutter can be used as a Flying-type STAB move. Zapdos also gets Agility and Baton Pass, but Scolipede does it better. Zapdos can go offensive with a set of Thunderbolt / Heat Wave / Hidden Power Ice / Roost, but Thundurus packs more of a punch. Finally, Zapdos gets Rain Dance, which can be used on a rain team along with its powerful Thunder.

Checks & Counters
########

**Stealth Rock**: Making sure Stealth Rock stays on the field is the easiest way to deal with Zapdos. Good Stealth Rock users include Terrakion, Tyranitar, and Landorus-T, since all of them can force Zapdos out.

**Special Walls**: Zapdos doesn't have the firepower to get past dedicated special walls such as Chansey and Mega Venusaur. Tyranitar and Hippowdon can handle Zapdos if it lacks Toxic, and the former even threatens it with a Rock-type STAB.

**Dragon-types**: Many of them, such as Dragonite, Kyurem-B, Mega Charizard X, and Latios can set up on or do major damage to Zapdos.

**Setup Sweepers**: If Zapdos doesn't have Toxic, it becomes setup bait for Terakion, Volcarona, Thundurus-T, and Calm Mind users.

**Boosted STAB Attacks**: Even fully invested, Zapdos doesn't have the bulk to take some of the metagame's stronger attacks such as Choice Specs Draco Meteors from Latios or Choice Band Talonflame's Flare Blitz.

**Rock- and Ice-types**: Pokemon such as Kyurem-B, Mamoswine, Terrakion, and Tyranitar can all take Zapdos out with relative ease.

Last edited:
Just a quick note that sort of got buried in the last Zapdos analysis thread, but it's slightly more efficient to run 252 HP on Zapdos rather than 248 HP. 248 HP may lower Stealth Rock damage by 1 point, but it also lowers Leftovers recovery by 1 point. By using max HP, you get an extra point in recovery every turn that will quickly make up for the extra point in Stealth Rock damage and more. Just a little something to make the EV spread a little more efficient (I'm kinda nitpicky about efficient EV spreads).

Just a quick note that sort of got buried in the last Zapdos analysis thread, but it's slightly more efficient to run 252 HP on Zapdos rather than 248 HP. 248 HP may lower Stealth Rock damage by 1 point, but it also lowers Leftovers recovery by 1 point. By using max HP, you get an extra point in recovery every turn that will quickly make up for the extra point in Stealth Rock damage and more. Just a little something to make the EV spread a little more efficient (I'm kinda nitpicky about efficient EV spreads).
That's a good point, thanks, I hadn't really considered that. Would that mean we should go back and change that for every Pokemon that runs slightly less HP for hazards and carries Leftovers?

That's a good point, thanks, I hadn't really considered that. Would that mean we should go back and change that for every Pokemon that runs slightly less HP for hazards and carries Leftovers?
Only the ones whose max HP is divisible by 16 like Zapdos's is. There aren't many in that category, though, but I'll probably keep an eye out for them.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mention some Pokemon that can check Bisharp who is a common switch-in to Defog (Heat Wave is dangerous to switch into but there's still a 50/50 shot movepool-wise). Unaware Quagsire for example.

Air Cutter needs mention in OO.

Mention Volt Switch and Discharge and why not to use them in OO.

In your counters you mention Mamoswine and Kyurem-B - Ice-types in general aren't always the best switch-in. For Mamoswine it's good due to Thick Fat. For Kyurem-B it's mostly because it is a Dragon. Thick Fat can be listed as a counter of sorts with Mega Venusaur and Mamoswine being in it - Mega Venusaur does not always play Special Wall anyway.

Something else that was mentioned in the old thread and is realy useful imo is that with 68 SpA Evs Thunderbolt is a sure ohko on Mega Pinsir and the def EVs your losing arent that important imo. Since Zapdos is 2hkoed even with max def by + 2 Mega Pinsir I think those EVs are worth it because they make Zapdos a more or less save counter against Pinsir (he can switch into SR take the hit and ko back) while without them Pinsir can simply muscle his way through when he starts his sweep with full hp.

Also I realy think that HP Ice deserves at least some mention since it 2hkoes some very common switch ins like Garchomp, Lando Forms, Gliscor etc. The only case where Heatwave is realy needed is against Ferrothorn and defensive Mega Scizor. Aegislash, Bisharp and normal Scizor can easily be disposed of with Thunderbolt. Yes Toxic can handle these things as well in a way, but there is a difference between just crippling them with poison and outright koing them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll mention HP Ice in Moves and I'll add an option of 68 SpA EV's in Set Details, although you still have like 75% chance of OHKOing.

I'll add a teammate about Bisharp. I don't know about Quag because it's only good on full stall and you don't want to suggest teammates like that when people might end up running Quag on a Bulky Offense team or something. I think I'll say Keldeo. I'll mention Air Cutter, Volt Switch, and Discharge.

As for the point about Ice-types, I think it's fine because those are the only two relevant ones in OU anyway. And even though other ones have to worry about Heat Wave, they still threaten Zapdos and check it.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
An alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpD / 16 Spe is also good, allowing Zapdos to still counter Mega Pinsir while also taking on special threats like Thundurus and Landorus.
Don't forget to mention that a Calm nature is needed for this spread IIRC.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
As Zapdos' main job is to counter Mega Pinsir nowadays, I would prefer this spread to be run:

EVs: 16 Spd / 252 HP / 68 SAtk / 172 Def
Bold Nature

I know you mentioned this in the analysis, but this is just sooo important. The problem is that SR is barely as omnipresent as it once was, and with Zapdos being a Defogger itself, it is more than likely SR won't be up. I've seen several games where not having these 68 EVs costs ppl the game vs Mega Pinsir, and this is the main reason why no other Electric moves are being mentioned for Zapdos to use.

Apart from that small change, this is excellent.

QC 1/3

phantom

Banned deucer.
Cleric Support from the likes of Sylveon, Clefable and Chansey is also nice to alleviate Zapdos's status woes.
Mention that clefable and sylveon help beat the dragons that zapdos struggles against. I'd also mention that Chansey can pass a Wish so that zapdos can switch into rocks + whatever attack it's coming in on more easily so that it may check the pokemon in question a bit better and/or pull off a defog with greater ease. Just a key thing to note, when mentioning cleric / hazard support / whatever, do mention how those supporters share synergy / aid the pokemon in question. For instance, you wouldn't pair zapdos with a cleric if they share a lot of similar weaknesses or if the cleric can't bring anything else to the table. That's just poor team building. Otherwise,

2/3

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
1. Give Zapdos 1 more point in Speed, this hits 241 speed which outpaces max+ AEgislash, though rare 4 EVs is worth it.

2. Mention roar in OO, it's nice on zapdos for doing stuff

3. Garchomp, Haxorus and Mega Zard X get up on Zapdos for days, a way to mitigate that is important, whether it be a revenge killer or walls like the hippo. Add that to team options.

add that and

QC 3/3

I am an avid user of Defensive Zapdos, but the set I use is different than this one and I feel it deserves some attention:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spd
-Thunderbolt/Discharge
-Heat Wave
-Toxic
-Roost

This set isn't much different than the ones listed above, outside of the EVs. But those are what make it special. 248 HP EVs give it an odd numbered HP stat, meaning that, from full health, Zapdos can switch into stealth rock 5 times instead of four. Although it is mentioned above that this is less efficient than 252 due to one less leftovers recovery point, I strongly disagree; with access to roost and good speed, one recovery point makes very little difference, and with this set having more defense EVs than those previously mentioned, 248 really is the better option here. Also, truly, no SpAtk EVs are needed. They just aren't. Zapdos OHKOs Mega Pinsir after SR. That being said, stealth rock support is necessary for this set. Heatran and Clefable both make good teammates here, depending on the team. I don't like roar on Zapdos as I consider the rest of the moveset to be too valuable to replace anything, so Sp. Def Heatran is one of the best partners to have, checking both Aegislash and Scizor as you mentioned earlier with Terakkion. Access to Toxic and Roost also grants stalling capabilities. Remember the now-ancient Breloom-Zapdos stall core? It deserves a comeback. You mentioned how fighting-types pair well with Zapdos, and Breloom is one of the best to fit that role. If you've read the MirrorMola RMT, there was a Specially Defensive Toxic Orb Breloom set. It works beautifully here; Zapdos greatly appreciates Leech Seed support as well as Spore, and Breloom appreciates Toxic stalling. In fact, a Zapdos-Heatran-Breloom core is incredibly effective, and is one of the most versatile Zapdos cores out there.

Hope my input will be of use, I am a strong believer in the power of Battery Jesus, and am glad to see his greater use this generation.

This set isn't much different than the ones listed above, outside of the EVs. But those are what make it special. 248 HP EVs give it an odd numbered HP stat, meaning that, from full health, Zapdos can switch into stealth rock 5 times instead of four. Although it is mentioned above that this is less efficient than 252 due to one less leftovers recovery point, I strongly disagree; with access to roost and good speed, one recovery point makes very little difference, and with this set having more defense EVs than those previously mentioned, 248 really is the better option here. Also, truly, no SpAtk EVs are needed. They just aren't. Zapdos OHKOs Mega Pinsir after SR.
A couple of problems with this. First, it doesn't make much sense to say that an extra point of Leftovers recovery every turn is insignificant, yet an extra point of Stealth Rock damage just when you switch in is significant enough to warrant dropping 4 HP EVs. You can't really argue with the math. That extra point of Leftovers recovery will make up for the extra Stealth Rock damage. If Zapdos switches into Stealth Rock, then after a single turn of staying in and getting Leftovers recovery, both spreads will be even. If you stay in for more than one turn (very likely with Zapdos), then the 252 HP spread will have an advantage. 248 HP is simply inefficient, even if the difference is subtle.

Second, the SpA EVs are more important for OHKOing Mega Pinsir than you think. I know that Thunderbolt KOs after Stealth Rock, but seeing as how most good players know to play wisely with Defog/Rapid Spin support when using Mega Pinsir, you can't always rely on Stealth Rock to be on the field.

Wouldn't the alternate Calm set also be updated to ohko M-Pinsir while outspeed Aegi or does it not matter since its checking other stuff?

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Wouldn't the alternate Calm set also be updated to ohko M-Pinsir while outspeed Aegi or does it not matter since its checking other stuff?
while I agree that it should get the 1 extra Speed EV it needs the defense and sdef to its job (still taking a hit from Pinsir) and dealing with special threats. Yes it cant get a guarnateed OHKO on pinsir but it just needs to be weakened a bit.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check

Overview
########

Zapdos is a great defensive check to several threats thanks to a few traits. The first is reliable recovery in the form of Roost, allowing it to stay healthy throughout the match, unlike many other Electric-types. The second is its solid bulk,(AC) which, coupled with a good defensive typing, allows Zapdos to check some of the tier’s tier's most dangerous threats such as Aegislash, Mega Pinsir, and Scizor. Finally, Zapdos gets Defog, and is one of the best users of the move in OU. It can beat Bisharp, something no other Defogger can do except Mandibuzz, and is also useful outside of Defog. Unfortunately, Zapdos is held back by a SR Stealth Rock weakness and does not have the sheer bulk of that some other defensive Pokemon possess. Furthermore, the Thundurus formes, both of which boast strong much more useful Abilities abilities and Nasty Plot to help muscle through walls, outclass Zapdos offensively. When using Zapdos,(AC) be mindful of its limitations and play to its strengths and it will be very effective.

Defensive
########
item:(space)Leftovers

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Zapdos's best STAB option, packing respectable power off of thanks to its base 125 Special Attack and 100% accuracy (you can keep this if you want, but I honestly don't think it needs to be mentioned). Roost helps keep Zapdos alive and mitigates its weakness to Stealth Rock. Defog lets Zapdos keep any hazards off of the field. Heat Wave is the best option in the last spot to hit Steel-types like Scizor, Bisharp, and Ferrothorn very hard. Toxic can be used to wear down common switch-ins like Landorus-T, while U-turn can help Zapdos pivot on predicted switches. Hidden Power Ice can be used effectively to get for good coverage alongside Thunderbolt and hurt switch-ins like Garchomp.

Set Details
========

The EVs and Bold nature are designed to maximize physical bulk while still outspeeding maximum Speed Aegislash. Although Zapdos takes 1 one more point more of damage from Stealth Rock with 252 HP EVs, it also gets one extra point of Leftovers recovery, making up for it. The 68 Special Attack EVs guarantee the OHKO on Mega Pinsir with Thunderbolt, while the rest goes into Defense to improve physical bulk. An alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpD / 16 Spe with a Calm nature is also good, allowing Zapdos to still counter Mega Pinsir while also taking on special threats like Thundurus and Landorus. Leftovers is the best item to improve longevity, but Rocky Helmet can also be used to punish physical attackers.

Usage Tips
========

Try not to switch Zapdos into Stealth Rock too much without using Roost in between, because while it does lose momentum, Zapdos can be worn down by hazards. When SR Stealth Rock is on the field, don't use Zapdos to handle things that will probably just U-turn out like Scizor; Zapdos will get worn down quickly if you do. Instead, save Zapdos for your opponent's sweepers that you couldn't otherwise handle can't handle otherwise, like Mega Pinsir and Lucario. Try to keep Zapdos away from status because it hurts its longevity, especially Toxic. In general, try to keep SR Stealth Rock off the field as much as possible. Zapdos scares off many SR Stealth Rock users in the metagame, and you should utilize the free turn you get as the opponent switches to their counter to use Defog.

Team Options
========

Physical Fighting types Fighting-types are good teammates for Zapdos as they can scare away or set up on the Tyranitars and Chanseys that like to switch in on Zapdos. Terrakion is a particularly good choice since Zapdos handles two of its strongest checks, Scizor and Aegislash, very well. Cleric Support support from the likes of Sylveon, Clefable,(AC) and Chansey is also nice to alleviate Zapdos's status woes. Wish support from them can also help Zapdos switch into Stealth Rock and powerful attacks without being forced to Roost, and Zapdos can take Steel- or Fighting-type attacks for them. In turn, they can switch into Pokemon such as Latios that beat Zapdos. Many Dragon-types such as Garchomp and Mega Charizard X can set up on Zapdos, so a Pokemon such as physically defensive Hippowdon to handle them is very helpful.

Other Options
########

Zapdos has several other options for sets. Substitute and Roost used to be a popular set on Zapdos, but it has trouble being very effective. Roar is a good move for shuffling the opponent's Pokemon and phazing out boosting sweepers. Other Electric-type moves like Volt Switch and Discharge can be used, but Zapdos doesn't always want to switch and can get worn down that way, and Discharge lacks some the power of Thunderbolt. For example, it can't OHKO Mega Pinsir. Air Cutter can be used as a Flying-type STAB move. Zapdos also gets Agility and Baton Pass, but Scolipede does it better. Zapdos can go offensive with a set of Thunderbolt / Heat Wave / Hidden Power Ice / Roost, but Thundurus packs more of a punch. It gets Rain Dance, which can be used on a rain team along with a powerful Thunder.

Checks & Counters
########

**Stealth Rock**: Making sure Stealth Rock stays on the field is the easiest way to deal with Zapdos. Good Stealth Rock users include Terrakion, Tyranitar, and Landorus-T, since all of them can force Zapdos out.

**Special Walls**: Zapdos doesnt doesn't have the firepower to get past dedicated special walls such as Chansey and Mega Venusaur. Tyranitar and Hippowdon can handle also wall (pick one of "handle" or "also wall") Zapdos if it lacks Toxic,(AC) and the former even threatens it with a Rock-type STAB.

**Dragons**: Many of them, such as Dragonite, Kyurem-B, Mega Charizard X, and Latios can set up on or do major damage to Zapdos.

**Set up Setup Sweepers**: If Zapdos doesn't have toxic, it becomes setup bait for Terakion, Volcarona, Thundurus-T, and Calm Mind users.

**Boosted STAB attacks Attacks**: Even fully invested, Zapdos doesn't have the bulk to take some of the metagame’s metagame's stronger attacks like Choice Specs Draco Meteors from Latios or Banded Talonflame’s Choice Band Talonflame's Flare Blitz.

**Rock- and Ice-types**: Pokemon like Kyurem-B, Mamoswine, Terrakion, and Tyranitar can all take Zapdos out with relative ease.
Great job on this Swamp Link, just watch out for the wrong apostrophes and don't use abbreviations like SR and other terms like Specs or Banded in these analyses.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ADD
REMOVE
Capitalization
(COMMENTS)

Overview
########

Zapdos is a great defensive check to several threats thanks to a few traits. The first is reliable recovery in the form of Roost, allowing it to stay healthy throughout the match, unlike many other Electric-types. The second is its solid bulk, which, coupled with a good defensive typing, allows Zapdos to check some of the tier's most dangerous threats,(AC) such as Aegislash, Mega Pinsir, and Scizor. Finally, Zapdos gets Defog, and is one of the best users of the move in OU. It can beat Bisharp, something no other Defogger can do except Mandibuzz, and is also useful outside of Defog. Unfortunately, Zapdos is held back by a Stealth Rock weakness and does not have the sheer bulk that some other defensive Pokemon possess. Furthermore, the Thundurus formes, both of which boast much more useful offensive abilities and Nasty Plot to help muscle through walls, outclass Zapdos offensively. When using Zapdos, be mindful of its limitations and play to its strengths and it will be very effective.

Defensive
########
item: Leftovers

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Zapdos's best STAB option, packing respectable power thanks to its base 125 Special Attack. Roost helps keep Zapdos alive and mitigates its weakness to Stealth Rock. Defog lets Zapdos keep any entry hazards off of the field. Heat Wave is the best option in the last spot to hit Steel-types like Scizor, Bisharp, and Ferrothorn very hard. Toxic can be used to wear down common switch-ins like Landorus-T, while U-turn can help Zapdos pivot on those predicted switches. Hidden Power Ice can be used for good coverage alongside Thunderbolt and hurt switch-ins like such as Garchomp.

Set Details
========

The EVs and Bold nature are designed to maximize Zapdos's physical bulk while still allowing it to outspeeding maximum Speed Aegislash. Although Zapdos takes one more point of damage from Stealth Rock with 252 HP EVs, it also gets one extra point of Leftovers recovery, making up for it. The 68 Special Attack EVs guarantee the OHKO on Mega Pinsir with Thunderbolt, while the rest goes into Defense to improve Zapdos's physical bulk. An alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpD / 16 Spe with a Calm nature is also good, allowing Zapdos to still counter Mega Pinsir while also taking on special threats like Thundurus and Landorus. Leftovers is the best item to improve longevity, but Rocky Helmet can also be used to punish physical attackers.

Usage Tips
========

Try not to switch Zapdos into Stealth Rock too much without using Roost in between, because while it does lose momentum, Zapdos can be worn down by hazards as keeping it from being worn down by entry hazards is worth the loss of some momentum. When Stealth Rock is on the field, don't use Zapdos to handle things that will probably just U-turn out like Scizor; Zapdos will get worn down quickly if you do. Instead, save Zapdos for your opponent's sweepers that you can't handle otherwise, like such as Mega Pinsir and Lucario. Try to keep Zapdos away from status because it hurts its longevity, especially Toxic. In general, try to keep Stealth Rock off the field as much as possible. Zapdos scares off many Stealth Rock users in the metagame, and you should utilize the free turn you get to use Defog as the opponent switches to their counter to use Defog.

Team Options
========

Physical Fighting-types are good teammates for Zapdos as they can scare away or set up on the Tyranitars and Chanseys,(AC) two threats that like to switch in on Zapdos. Terrakion is a particularly good choice since as Zapdos handles two of its strongest checks, Scizor and Aegislash, very well. Cleric support from the likes of Sylveon, Clefable, and Chansey is also nice to alleviate Zapdos's status woes. Wish support from them can also help Zapdos switch into Stealth Rock and powerful attacks without being forced to Roost, and Zapdos can take Steel- or and Fighting-type attacks for them. In turn, they can switch into Pokemon such as Latios that beat Zapdos. Many Dragon-types such as Garchomp and Mega Charizard X can set up on Zapdos, so having a physically defensive Pokemon such as physically defensive Hippowdon to handle them is very helpful.

Other Options
########

Zapdos has several other options for sets. Substitute and + Roost used to be a popular set on Zapdos, but it has trouble being very effective. Roar is a good move for shuffling the opponent's Pokemon and phazing out boosting sweepers. Other Electric-type moves like Volt Switch and Discharge can be used, but Zapdos doesn't always want to switch and can get worn down that way.(+Period) , and Also, Discharge lacks the power of Thunderbolt.(-Period) For example, it can't OHKO Mega Pinsir. Air Cutter can be used as a Flying-type STAB move. Zapdos also gets Agility and Baton Pass, but Scolipede does it better. Zapdos can go offensive with a set of Thunderbolt / Heat Wave / Hidden Power Ice / Roost, but Thundurus packs more of a punch. It Finally, Zapdos gets Rain Dance, which can be used on a rain team along with a its powerful Thunder.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Zapdos doesn't have the firepower to get past dedicated special walls such as Chansey and Mega Venusaur. Tyranitar and Hippowdon can handle Zapdos if it lacks Toxic, and the former even threatens it with a Rock-type STAB.

**Dragon-types**: Many of them, such as Dragonite, Kyurem-B, Mega Charizard X, and Latios can set up on or do major damage to Zapdos.

**Setup Sweepers**: If Zapdos doesn't have Toxic, it becomes setup bait for Terakion, Volcarona, Thundurus-T, and Calm Mind users.

**Boosted STAB Attacks**: Even fully invested, Zapdos doesn't have the bulk to take some of the metagame's stronger attacks like such as Choice Specs Draco Meteors from Latios or Choice Band Talonflame’(-Curly)'(+Regular)s Flare Blitz.

**Rock- and Ice-types**: Pokemon like such as Kyurem-B, Mamoswine, Terrakion, and Tyranitar can all take Zapdos out with relative ease.

Swamp Link
GP 2/2

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Umm, this is really really late, and I hate to nitpick when this is already done, but
Zapdos scares off many Stealth Rock users in the metagame, and you should utilize the free turn you get to use Defog as the opponent switches to their counter.
This really isn't true :/
Garchomp sits in there all day, and can even SD if it feels like it. Terrakion/Tyranitar just Stone Edges. Deoxys can simply Taunt, Landorus-t can take a Heat Wave and Stone Edge, while Landorus can hit back with Psychic. Heatran, Chansey, Gliscor, and Clefable (sets up on it lol) could really care less about tbolt or heat wave. Mamoswine freely switches in and threatens you out instead. Ultimately, unless you run HP ice, the only real Stealth Rock users that you threaten are Excadrill (nobody runs SR on exca anymore), Bisharp (lol), Ferrothorn (legit), and Skarmory (legit).

Umm, this is really really late, and I hate to nitpick when this is already done, but

This really isn't true :/
Garchomp sits in there all day, and can even SD if it feels like it. Terrakion/Tyranitar just Stone Edges. Deoxys can simply Taunt, Landorus-t can take a Heat Wave and Stone Edge, while Landorus can hit back with Psychic. Heatran, Chansey, Gliscor, and Clefable (sets up on it lol) could really care less about tbolt or heat wave. Mamoswine freely switches in and threatens you out instead. Ultimately, unless you run HP ice, the only real Stealth Rock users that you threaten are Excadrill (nobody runs SR on exca anymore), Bisharp (lol), Ferrothorn (legit), and Skarmory (legit).
Yeah, that's a really weird statement, removing.

would spec. defense heatran be a decent check to the t-bolt/heat wave/toxic/roost set? Heatran sets up rocks, it can toxic/roar and rack up damage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)