Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I actually hope so too. Things like Mega Sableye (woulda made more sense than Banette),
Prankster was a massive buff for Sableye, so Mawile received one over it since Mawile got... Sheer Force? Meanwhile, Banette was not given an evolution when Dusclops got one.
Swampert, Sceptile, Gen 2 starters, Gen 4 starters,
Swampert and Sceptile sure, but I honestly don't think any starters will be getting Megas in ORAS. Maybe the Gen 2 starters (since they were obtainable in Emerald upon completing the Pokedex iirc).
ANY Gen 5 pokemon,
fuk bw Okay
A mega with Drizzle (I was thinking floatzel),
No. No no no no no. From a competitive standpoint, Rain was an incredibly powerful archetype in literally every metagame that allowed it, and to be honest is still pretty damn strong. Not creating a Drizzle Mega was most likely done for balancing purposes and (aside from Kyogre) said Mega is incredibly unlikely to happen in ORAS or even in gen 7 barring an incredible metagame shift or nerf to the Water type.
Golem and Machamp (The other original trade to evolve pokes got it),
Mega Gengar was probably a combination of favoritism and the removal of Shadow Tag Chandelure. I don't see either of these two getting Megas.
the rest of the Psuedos,
Eh, Hydreigon never reached the popularity of any of the other pseudo legendary Pokemon, and none of Dragonite, Salamence, or Metagross could be obtained in the main game of X and Y; the latter two are possible but I wouldn't count on Dragonite since it wasn't in RSE.
Archanine (I'm biased, ok?),
Arcanine (if you're going to like a lame Pokemon spell it right) is like the Charizard of this generation - pretty poor competitively but gets overused because people like it - except it isn't even cool like Zard.
and Rayquaza (and other 680 BST legendaries to give Mew2 competition)
Rayquaza makes sense if Kyogre and Groudon do, but none of the other 680s make any sense to get Megas in ORAS.
I just don't expect it to be with ORAS.
fine

Availability ingame is a major factor toward what Pokemon will likely get Mega Evolutions in ORAS. Yes, things like Mega Dragonite and Mega Darkrai (I'm all for something ridiculous like Mega Jumpluff or Miltank personally) would be cool, but make zero sense when you realize that they won't even be obtainable ingame without altering the Pokemon available - which for the most part HGSS stayed away from. Blaziken is an exception, yes, but Blaziken was basically there to hype Mega Evolution as a mechanic, and maybe to hint at ORAS.

tl;dr let's be real guys

I'd rather have chances given to things that are never seen in OU, rather than just seeing the same Pokémon with a different form.
Actually, I really don't like this point. I may not be too familiar with anything lower than UU, but I feel like each tier has developed it's own character, which is largely created by the pokes people come to expect in these tiers. That would be hurt by too much change, so I think that argument is pure opinion, and shouldn't be valued any higher than "I want Tropius to get a mega because it's my favorite!"

Prankster was a massive buff for Sableye, so Mawile received one over it since Mawile got... Sheer Force? Meanwhile, Banette was not given an evolution when Dusclops got one. Swampert and Sceptile sure, but I honestly don't think any starters will be getting Megas in ORAS. Maybe the Gen 2 starters (since they were obtainable in Emerald upon completing the Pokedex iirc). fuk bw Okay No. No no no no no. From a competitive standpoint, Rain was an incredibly powerful archetype in literally every metagame that allowed it, and to be honest is still pretty damn strong. Not creating a Drizzle Mega was most likely done for balancing purposes and (aside from Kyogre) said Mega is incredibly unlikely to happen in ORAS or even in gen 7 barring an incredible metagame shift or nerf to the Water type. Mega Gengar was probably a combination of favoritism and the removal of Shadow Tag Chandelure. I don't see either of these two getting Megas. Eh, Hydreigon never reached the popularity of any of the other pseudo legendary Pokemon, and none of Dragonite, Salamence, or Metagross could be obtained in the main game of X and Y; the latter two are possible but I wouldn't count on Dragonite since it wasn't in RSE. Arcanine (if you're going to like a lame Pokemon spell it right) is like the Charizard of this generation - pretty poor competitively but gets overused because people like it - except it isn't even cool like Zard. Rayquaza makes sense if Kyogre and Groudon do, but none of the other 680s make any sense to get Megas in ORAS. fine

Availability ingame is a major factor toward what Pokemon will likely get Mega Evolutions in ORAS. Yes, things like Mega Dragonite and Mega Darkrai (I'm all for something ridiculous like Mega Jumpluff or Miltank personally) would be cool, but make zero sense when you realize that they won't even be obtainable ingame without altering the Pokemon available - which for the most part HGSS stayed away from. Blaziken is an exception, yes, but Blaziken was basically there to hype Mega Evolution as a mechanic, and maybe to hint at ORAS.

tl;dr let's be real guys
Oh come on! I've been a realist (some might even say pessimist) this entire thread, and the second I post my personal hopes, even with a consolation, I get attecked by mods? I'm am deeply offended. I even specifically said I don't expect any of them to happen, I was just showing I'm not a complete Mr. Sourpuss.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh come on! I've been a realist (some might even say pessimist) this entire thread, and the second I post my personal hopes, even with a consolation, I get attecked by mods? I'm am deeply offended. I even specifically said I don't expect any of them to happen, I was just showing I'm not a complete Mr. Sourpuss.
Let's be real, I haven't read anything in this thread before page 32... It's not a personal attack (except on the Arcanine bit, fuck Arcanine), but rather my view on why what you mentioned would or would not happen.

also Mega Tropius can only happen if Banana Meteor becomes a move

Let's be real, I haven't read anything in this thread before page 32... It's not a personal attack (except on the Arcanine bit, fuck Arcanine), but rather my view on why what you mentioned would or would not happen.

Besides the Arcanine stuff, you're fine. I'm just bad at sarcasm over text.

And I always assumed it'd be a Bonemerang clone called Bananarang, but Banana Meteor sounds cool too.

Mega stones that don't revolve Starters or Legendaries should probably be given to Pokémon with few glaring flaws that prevent them from being playable instead of Pokémon that are completely unusable, like Beedrill. I heard the idea of Floatzel somewhere. It was fast, but frail. Slap it with a Mega stone to give it additional survivability and a little extra power to put it on par with other fast water types. Floatzel is probably not the best example, but I'm sure there are other Pokémon that would largely benefit with just a stat, ability, or type change.

Actually, I really don't like this point. I may not be too familiar with anything lower than UU, but I feel like each tier has developed it's own character, which is largely created by the pokes people come to expect in these tiers.
Would be nice if I saw more people have this view.

ヽ( ` Д´)ノ ☂ BA-NA-NAAAAA STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORM ☂、ヽ```、`ヽ`、ヽ```、`

Anyway, I too don't necessarily want MEvo's for everything under UU. Yeah sure, I would like an MEvo for starters like Torterra and Meganium to set them apart from the crowd and actually make them unique and useable, but for everything else? No. I'd rather have MEvos for Pseudo legends and Legends, and maybe champion ace pokemon for reasons. We don't need hundreds of MEvos and I don't want MEvolution to end up being nothing but a way to buff everything in the end

Last edited:
True, but... barely any pseudo or legend needs a buff. Dragonite and Tyranitar are still golden, Salamence is good enough, Goodra's proved it's worth, Garchomp greatly outclasses it's mega... Hydreigon and Metagross sure, but not the others. Mega Tyranitar especially seems incredibly pointless; it brings nothing new to Tyranitar.

I'm also not a fan of Medicham, Manetric, Heracross, and ampharos as mega candidates. They're incredibly random and nothing makes sense flavorwise for why they even received megas

I'm also not a fan of Medicham, Manetric, Heracross, and ampharos as mega candidates. They're incredibly random and nothing makes sense flavorwise for why they even received megas
Except they offer something completely new to OU. There's a ton of unique Pokémon in the lower tiers that just aren't as good as they could be due to their low stats - powering up these Pokémon can shake up the metagame and prevent it from being stale and boring. Mega Mawile's become a massive threat to look out for and one of the contributions to the metagame not being as samey as last gen. If we just keep seeing the same Pokémon just powered up all the time, eventually the metagame's gonna get boring.
Heck this is only talking about competitive. You do realize there's a ton of casual players who don't give a fuck about competitive, right? And that there's other contributions to popularity? Ampharos and Heracross in particular are very popular choices for those who played gen 2.

It allows it to run Dragon Dance a lot more successfully.
... is that it? Just... one set becomes a bit more effective? Seems a bit of a waste. Doesn't bring much more to the table.

Galladium

Banned deucer.
... is that it? Just... one set becomes a bit more effective? Seems a bit of a waste. Doesn't bring much more to the table.
I agree. How Mega Evolutions should have worked was by changing how the Pokemon is played, rather than just buffing up its stats. Mega Mawile is a perfect example of this; it's also why I don't particularly like Mega Scizor or Mega Tyranitar.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was always under the impression that all the megas were done arbitrarily; not all Pokemon get them, and there is no real pattern in which Pokemon do get them, except that none introduced in Generation 5 got one. The ones chosen were probably just the ones designers thought would be cool to make, such as fan favorites or their own personal favorites. That's why I don't really get why people say "this Pokemon should be the next to get a mega evolution" or "why would this get one and this one not". The whole thing is completely arbitrary and therefore unpredictable.

I agree. How Mega Evolutions should have worked was by changing how the Pokemon is played, rather than just buffing up its stats. Mega Mawile is a perfect example of this; it's also why I don't particularly like Mega Scizor or Mega Tyranitar.
I disagree on Mawile; Huge Power changes the way it's played entirely.

Galladium

Banned deucer.
I disagree on Mawile; Huge Power changes the way it's played entirely.
No, I was saying that Mega Mawile was a perfect example of how Mega Evolutions should work, because as you said, Huge Power completely changes how it's played.

Galladium

Banned deucer.
I was always under the impression that all the megas were done arbitrarily; not all Pokemon get them, and there is no real pattern in which Pokemon do get them, except that none introduced in Generation 5 got one. The ones chosen were probably just the ones designers thought would be cool to make, such as fan favorites or their own personal favorites. That's why I don't really get why people say "this Pokemon should be the next to get a mega evolution" or "why would this get one and this one not". The whole thing is completely arbitrary and therefore unpredictable.
Not quite. All three Kanto starters got Mega Evolutions, as opposed to just Charizard. The Pokemon that have version-exclusive Mega Stones, such as Heracross and Pinsir, and Tyranitar and Aggron, also have a relationship that I can't quite describe.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Naw, I get that some Pokemon were given mega evolutions as a "set" but that wasn't really the point. EtherDrive was talking about how some of the Pokemon who got mega evolutions "randomly" and there weren't any good story reasons as to why they should get them...but when it comes down to it there are very few Pokemon who have some sort of fitting lore reason why they got a mega evolution. I want to say none, but I might've missed something (The orbs actually being megastones would be an example of what I mean, although we don't know if Mega Kyogre/Groudon is going to be a thing)

When I say there is no "pattern" I don't mean there are no relationships between the Pokemon who get them, I mean there is no reason that one Pokemon is more qualified to get a mega evolution than another. Good Pokemon got them, bad Pokemon got them, fan favorites got them, Pokemon some people forget even existed got them. It is all just decided by what the designers felt like making. When people claim certain Pokemon should get mega evolutions and some shouldn't, they are going off a different criteria than Game Freak.

I have evidence megavolutions will be coming back:
in the origins anime Red is able to megavolve his char in cerulean(?) cave. this proves you don't need to be in kalos to megavolve. they could just make the pokemon that get new megavolutions possible to get in z. they could make this possible by doing something like making pokemon transferable only by pokebank.
also maybe plusle and minun can megavolve at the same time with the same stone (maybe light ball).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)