Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miridy

♩_♩
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
On a CB Tyranitar, where do i get aqua tail/superpower? If it's a BW2 move tutor can i use a different move?
Hey.
Sadly both Aqua Tail and Superpower are tutor only moves, you may opt for a set with Stone edge, Crunch, Pursuit and Earthquale/Fire Fang

Hey.
Sadly both Aqua Tail and Superpower are tutor only moves, you may opt for a set with Stone edge, Crunch, Pursuit and Earthquale/Fire Fang
Man i wish there was a tutor in this game, so i can get things like pain split rotom and aqua tail my my TTar

So, I'm working on a Speed-Pass team and I noticed that the offensive core I was using (Mega-Gross, Taunt Hydreigon, Kyurem-B) had some issues with a basic Tyranitar / Excadrill core. I had a Scarf Terrakion to bail me out, but it was too close for comfort, so I want to adjust the core. I want to drop Kyurem-B to lower my rock weakness and because I want to maintain my 2 Taunt users (b/c screw CroBro). However, I'd like a replacement that can comfortably take on those threats as well as Azumarill and most Rain threats. I'd put Hammer Arm and Grass Knot on Mega-Gross, but I worry about dropping my Speed from Hammer Arm and the low coverage range of Grass Knot. Sorry, I know it's a strange request, but anyone have any ideas for mons that fit this criteria?

EDIT: I find that offensively a mixed Victini set meets my minimum speed requirement (283 to outspeed Scarf Greninja after an Agility pass, because someone out there will have one for Mence) and gives me another Taunter, but its defensive typing does not help my Rocks issue and has to catch Azumarill on the switch or it gets maimed by Banded Aqua Jets. Here's the set for reference:

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 68 SpA / 188 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- Grass Knot
- Taunt

Last edited:
So, I'm working on a Speed-Pass team and I noticed that the offensive core I was using (Mega-Gross, Taunt Hydreigon, Kyurem-B) had some issues with a basic Tyranitar / Excadrill core. I had a Scarf Terrakion to bail me out, but it was too close for comfort, so I want to adjust the core. I want to drop Kyurem-B to lower my rock weakness and because I want to maintain my 2 Taunt users (b/c screw CroBro). However, I'd like a replacement that can comfortably take on those threats as well as Azumarill and most Rain threats. I'd put Hammer Arm and Grass Knot on Mega-Gross, but I worry about dropping my Speed from Hammer Arm and the low coverage range of Grass Knot. Sorry, I know it's a strange request, but anyone have any ideas for mons that fit this criteria?

EDIT: I find that offensively a mixed Victini set meets my minimum speed requirement (283 to outspeed Scarf Greninja after an Agility pass, because someone out there will have one for Mence) and gives me another Taunter, but its defensive typing does not help my Rocks issue and has to catch Azumarill on the switch or it gets maimed by Banded Aqua Jets. Here's the set for reference:

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 68 SpA / 188 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- Grass Knot
- Taunt
I believe Rotom-W can solve your problems. In most cases of Tyranitar and Excadrill Cores, the ability used for Excadrill is Sand Rush so you don't have to worry about Mold breaker as much. And also, Rotom-W should be able to take care of Azumarill.
Rotom @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 212 Def/ 44 Spe
Bold Nature
-Will-o-Wisp
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt/Pain Split

Hopes this helps! :)

Last edited:
How do rain teams deal with Ferrothorn? Seems like a massive pain to get rid of.
The primary options include:
Mega Heracross
252 Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 344-408 (97.7 - 115.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
SD Mega Scizor
252+ Atk Mega Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 214-254 (60.7 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Mega Ampharos
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 262-310 (74.4 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Thundy-I
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 252-299 (71.5 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The last two are much less consistent due to low Focus Blast accuracy. The first two thrive in Rain due to having their weaknesses reduced, while the last two take advantage of Rain by spamming can't miss Thunder. There are other answers, but those are the most common in my experience.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
What can I run on a defensive/stall team to help deal with megamence?
Hidden Power Ice Rotom-W, Toxic and / or Rock Tomb Landorus-T, Brave Bird + Toxic Skarmory, Rhyperior, and Mega Steelix are all <decent> options to deal with Mega Salamence. It should be noted that the first 3 sets are kind of lackluster outside of dealing with Salamence, however. :[. It is probably getting banned soon, looking forward to that.

EDIT: Here are the sets:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice / Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Rock Tomb / Stone Edge
- Toxic / Rock Tomb

Skarmory @ Shed Shell / Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 236 Def
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
- Brave Bird

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

Steelix @ Steelixite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rest / Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Dragon Tail

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
What can I run on a defensive/stall team to help deal with megamence?
Porygon2 is a good answer, as it can come in on a DD, take a +1 Double-Edge and KO back with Ice Beam after some prior damage. Also, if you come in on it before it is in its mega form, you get the intimidate from Trace so Mega-Salamence needs an extra DD

+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 199-235 (53.2 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Salamence: 296-352 (89.4 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

+1 92+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 178-211 (47.5 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 168 HP / 88 SpD Salamence: 272-320 (72.9 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Rhyperior can take it on very well too

+3 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior: 212-250 (50 - 58.9%) -- 74.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 92+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior: 190-224 (44.8 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
44+ Atk Rhyperior Ice Punch vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 264-312 (70.7 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rock Blast is also a good option as you break the sub and do some damage after the sub broke

Last edited:

Steelix @ Steelixite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rest / Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Dragon Tail
I would run Relaxed instead. Mega Slowbro and Mega Aggron run similar sets with Def boosting natures and Special Def EVs because a Defense boosting nature nets you way more overall bulk. Even with 252 Special Defense EVs and 0 Defense EVs, you are looking at around 50 extra Defense points vs around 28 Special Defense points when using Relaxed vs Sassy.

So, what is the exact difference between a check and a counter (and possibly a hard counter)? I have an idea, but I want to be 100% sure before I start throwing terms around.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So, what is the exact difference between a check and a counter (and possibly a hard counter)? I have an idea, but I want to be 100% sure before I start throwing terms around.
Here:

Pokémon A checks Pokémon B if Pokémon A can win every time when switching into at least one of Pokemon B's attacks, without factoring in hax.

Pokémon A counters Pokémon B if Pokémon A can manually switch into Pokémon B and still win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax.​

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A check is a Pokemon that can quickly take down a Pokemon, but cannot take many hits from it. A counter is a Pokemon that can absorb several hits from a Pokemon, and can do substantial damage back.

Ex: XY OU Greninja

Check: Mega-Aerodactyl can outspeed Greninja and KO with STAB moves, but it cannot take a hydro pump from greninja,

Counter: Blissey can tank most of Greninja's moves and deal some damage back with seismic toss.

Man i wish there was a tutor in this game, so i can get things like pain split rotom and aqua tail my my TTar
If it's any consolation, ORAS seem to be bringing most of the B2W2 tutor moves back, so if you need to, wait until then and you can get it on a Gen 6 bred mon.

Has anyone used Mega Camerupt successfully yet? Ive been trying it out on this core

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Baton Pass
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

but havent had much success. The idea is that these pokemon have good synergy together and that Camerupt can be brought in through Baton Passes and Volt Turns considering Rotom-W and Celebi attract pokemon that Camerupt can take advantage of. I'm thinking about switching Rotom-W for Slowbro and trying Trick Room, but personally ive never likes Trick Room. Also I was considering adding a Bisharp or Tyranitar to take out the Lati@s, one of the cores bigger problems, but I'm not entirely sure. Any thoughts?

Has anyone used Mega Camerupt successfully yet? Ive been trying it out on this core

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Baton Pass
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

but havent had much success. The idea is that these pokemon have good synergy together and that Camerupt can be brought in through Baton Passes and Volt Turns considering Rotom-W and Celebi attract pokemon that Camerupt can take advantage of. I'm thinking about switching Rotom-W for Slowbro and trying Trick Room, but personally ive never likes Trick Room. Also I was considering adding a Bisharp or Tyranitar to take out the Lati@s, one of the cores bigger problems, but I'm not entirely sure. Any thoughts?
The only way for a mon like M-Camerupt to put in work in the current fast-paced meta is under trick room. Without it, it gets outsped by literally everything in their mother, and it has average defenses (compared to the other slow but successful mons in the meta), which means that it won't last long getting hit first every turn. tr is probably the only way to go for it.

I would have suggested using bp, but i don't want to spread aids.

making a mega sceptile team and so far all i have are sceptile obvisouly, roserade and azumarill but i cant think of the other three pokemon

what pokemon would work with this team and give reasons

making a mega sceptile team and so far all i have are sceptile obvisouly, roserade and azumarill but i cant think of the other three pokemon

what pokemon would work with this team and give reasons
What role specifically does Roserade play on your team?

I could recommend Rhyperior. Sceptile hates Flying types and Bird Spam, which Rhyperior is pretty much the best answer to. In exchange, Sceptile covers Grass, Water, and Ground, Azumarill gets Water, Fighting, Ice, and Rhyperior covers Electric, Flying, Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)