Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Darmanitan is on the discussion blacklist in the rankings thread because of it not being viable. Why is Darmanitan unviable in OU?
The existence of Victini mostly.

Why would I settle for Darmanitan's immense recoil, bad defenses, 95 base Speed, and a lack of versatility when I could have Victini's versatility, a typing that lets it check common threats like Gardevoir, and 100 base speed. Victini can use defensive, cb, SubPuP, and special LO sets to surprise its would-be checks/counters while still maintaining a defensive niche; darmanitan can't do this at all, and actually is weaker if it's using a Life Orb compared to CB Victini.

Hmm. That looks kinda ok.

You don't need the Special Defense investment if you're boosting it with Calm Mind, anyway. I'd take Dragon Pulse over Substitute every day since it provides a damaging move that is not Psychic. You could go for Stored Power instead of Psyshock if you feel like you can make opportunities for Latias to set up more Calm Minds. The only other option I really see is Hidden Power: Fighting if Bisharp is something your MegaLatias has to deal with (plus it gets you that unpredictability factor) but is more useful on a Life Orb set. Also, you're investing fully in Special Defense which will be further boosted by Calm Mind, leaving you very vulnerable to physical attackers. I recommend investing more in Defense like the set below runs.

I found this setup

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Substitute / Dragon Pulse
move 3: Stored Power / Psyshock
move 4: Roost
ability: Levitate
item: Latiasite
evs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
nature: Bold

Which looks fairly solid.

Edit: You said you feel like your set lacks coverage, you really won't be getting around this if you're running a Calm Mind set. You rely on the bulkiness and power you receive from the Calm Minds to dent the enemy and heal off with roost. If you want coverage then I'd recommend ditching the Mega forme and going for a Life Orb set. I LOVE Life Orb Latias even more than Latios and usually run

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 184 SpA / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Defog

Which I have on a team but I can't remember how I reached those stats lol

Or

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Psyshock

Which is similar to most sets you'll find here at Smogon.
Thank you for your help. I guess I will go with the Bold setup.

Small note, the Spd EVs were Speed, not SpDef. Sorry for the confusion.

To those who have good experience with mega altaria how would you use it in battles, specifically with the special set; when and how would you go about getting opportunities to mega evolve? I don't really see any switch-ins to mega evolve atm, as you don't get the dragon immunity off the bat. And what would be the best way to use it?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
To those who have good experience with mega altaria how would you use it in battles, specifically with the special set; when and how would you go about getting opportunities to mega evolve? I don't really see any switch-ins to mega evolve atm, as you don't get the dragon immunity off the bat. And what would be the best way to use it?
Even with Dragon Flying typing, it's still a reliable switch into Pokemon such as Keldeo, Landorus, mega charizard y to an extent, Rotom-w if you're the special set, etc. In general, it's best used as a revenge killer to threaten something out with a stab move, and take advantage of its unpredictability, to either set up a dd or fire off a strong hyper voice. Hope I helped.

I know this is for OU, but does anyone know when VGC '15 rules will be announced? Like, what Pokemon we can use?
i didn't know if there was a usual time every year when they announce that.
Thanks.

I know this is for OU, but does anyone know when VGC '15 rules will be announced? Like, what Pokemon we can use?
i didn't know if there was a usual time every year when they announce that.
Thanks.
There's a separate forum for VGC with its own SQSA thread, but I remember it being sometime around mid-december I think?
They should be announced before the 20th.

Btw, what's the effective attack stat of Pikachu with light ball?

Why is Charizard (the Pokemon but without any megastone) currently being considered to be OU according to the official Smogon Tierlist? Would not there be positive changes to the next lower tier metagame if Charizard himself moved down, his megastones however remained OU?

Thanks in advance.

Why is Charizard (the Pokemon but without any megastone) currently being considered to be OU according to the official Smogon Tierlist? Would not there be positive changes to the next lower tier metagame if Charizard himself moved down, his megastones however remained OU?

Thanks in advance.
It's because of usage. Charizard is used frequently in the OU tier, so it stays there, whereas less frequently used Megas like Altaria have only the stone banned, because their usage doesn't qualify them for OU, but are too powerful for lower tiers

It's because of usage. Charizard is used frequently in the OU tier, so it stays there, whereas less frequently used Megas like Altaria have only the stone banned, because their usage doesn't qualify them for OU, but are too powerful for lower tiers
Probably a question you weren't expecting and I'm not sure if you can answer it but here it is -
Do you personally believe moving charizard himself down to lower tiers (completely ignoring his usage & leaving his megastones untouched) would (theory) trigger positive changes to the lower tiers?

Probably a question you weren't expecting and I'm not sure if you can answer it but here it is -
Do you personally believe moving charizard himself down to lower tiers (completely ignoring his usage & leaving his megastones untouched) would (theory) trigger positive changes to the lower tiers?
I'm not familiar enough with the lower tier metagames, but it's simply a question of Smogon/Showdown policy, and there's no real reason to make an exception

Charizard would be fine since he was top 10 in BW NU, but him being OU along with his stones is just how policy works. Using a suboptimal set isn't a good reason to move down in tiers. No STAB Reshiram would be fine in OU, but we don't allow it there because you don't rate something per set, but rather by the pokemon's max potential.

Empress

Civil engineer by day, drunkard by night
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Besides not having enough experience with a suspect, why would one choose to vote "Abstain" in a suspect test?

I'm not familiar enough with the lower tier metagames, but it's simply a question of Smogon/Showdown policy, and there's no real reason to make an exception
Charizard would be fine since he was top 10 in BW NU, but him being OU along with his stones is just how policy works. Using a suboptimal set isn't a good reason to move down in tiers. No STAB Reshiram would be fine in OU, but we don't allow it there because you don't rate something per set, but rather by the pokemon's max potential.
Thank you for your answers! Lazyboy0337, Personally I am not a fan of your comparison because in charizard's case, mega stones are in play and those posses a tiering themselves [in my scenario]. In the end, the whole thing is a question of the Smogon policy.

No further answers needed, thank you guys.

Can someone please point me to where i could find a few cookie cutter teams that are good for the metagame now? Looking to shake off alot of rust....

Last edited:
What is the overall best Azumarill set for the current meta? I suppose AV > CB, but I'm not really sure. Also, are Azu's IV's on the strategy dex (240 HP/252 Atk/16 SpD for the AV set) up to date for the ORAS meta or should I be concerned about reaching another speed tier for a new threat?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What is the overall best Azumarill set for the current meta? I suppose AV > CB, but I'm not really sure. Also, are Azu's IV's on the strategy dex (240 HP/252 Atk/16 SpD for the AV set) up to date for the ORAS meta or should I be concerned about reaching another speed tier for a new threat?
In the current meta, choice band azumarill is the best set, as AV was used to check greninja which it no longer does due to gunk shot. AV azu certainly isn't bad, it just lost its main utility.
CB acts as a great wallbreaker, as it always has been.

Thank you guys for the answers. So I suppose the EV spread I'm looking for is 88 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/164 Spe (like in the strategy dex), right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)