Other Pokemon: Smogon OU Version 2 (Route Nine (After Ice Mountain))

Status
Not open for further replies.
That puts me in mind of something; what will we do if Greninja gets banned? Don't know if that will happen, or is likely to happen, but if that theoretically happens, should we replace it, or what?

That puts me in mind of something; what will we do if Greninja gets banned? Don't know if that will happen, or is likely to happen, but if that theoretically happens, should we replace it, or what?
Cross that bridge when we come to it. Or pick the most viable water starter

Not gonna lie, it's gonna be really annoying for us if Gren gets banned, because it's much harder to slap a mega blastoise on a team then it is to slap a zard form, and empolean is niche as frick (and will probably lose most of that niche the second Gren leaves). Maybe we go with mudkip? Gosh, all these water starters are so niche (though prolly still better then gen 5). I guess if we really wanted to play it loose, we can give the player a pollywag for eventual drizzle shenanigans.

Kingdra might be another option...it is really annoying that most of those viable water types are below A rank, aspecially all those with 2 evolutions.
Or just put Azurill but that would be pretty random

Ight so been a horrible week for me at this point (had a pig die this morning, one die Wednesday, a sheep die, my pig started getting sick (its fine though now), another sheep sick) and all within a few short days of each other... Not fun.

But back to Smogon where things are much simpler!

NPC/Building Proposal

A Bike store set near the entrance of the route (near where we saw the assistant and biker fighting). It's sorta cool like a car dealership except with bikes everywhere. There are people all staring in awe at the bikes and some guy in a big ol suit standing in the middle of the place several feet from the building (where you do all the purchasing). Once he is in screen, he spots you and has you come over to him. He recognizes you from the assistant, saying this is what he looks like in work clothes, and asks how you knew that poor sap. You tell, asking what exactly happened, and the seller points towards...a flaming pile of bikes. He says its long and complicated but it ended up like that.

He says since you had the unfortunate circumstances of messing with him, he wonders what you had to give him, and he finds out you paid his debt. Steaming, the owner says, "Come with me." and takes you to their top of the line bike that's the latest model and says all these fancy things bout it...and says you can get it for free if you do him a favor.

A slip of paper is handed to you, and it says hunt down his brother, cause he ended up getting lost in some cave with 'stars' or something. Find him and the bike is yours cause that place isn't ment for soft and squishy people like him and only his Luvdisc.

---

After brother is found, bike is giving and the seller says "Want anything else just bring that assistant back so he can finish paying off his debt!"

Anyway still need trainers for the route y'all with some pokes (not much more but some).

So, if I'm allowed to post a Pokemon suggestion and a Trainer Suggestion:

Triathlete Jim:
Too fast to move! Too fast to hit! In and out, that's the way I fight

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Modest Nature
Level 41
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-HP Fire

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
Level 41
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Knock Off
-Superpower

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Modest Nature
Level 41
-Hyper Voice
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Baton Pass

Pangoro @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
Level 41
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Knock Off
-Parting Shot

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Level 41
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-U-turn
-Tailwind

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
-Brave Bird
-Double Edge
-U-Turn
-Close Combat
Loss Quote: Out...Of...Breath

After the Battle: Wow, you switched with real skill! But I bet you could switch even better with moves like this *Gives the TMs for Volt Switch and U-Turn* Using switching moves can really turn the momentum of a match in your favor, while also hurting your opponents at the same time!

I could probably use some better win quotes

Last edited:
Must.... resist.... urge..... to.... shoehorn..... CB ninjask onto that team... hufff. huuffff..... hoooh

Ok, got that out of my system.

On a more serious note, how about we add forretress and staraptor onto the team? Voltturn's gonna want a spinner and raptor is just cool.

*edit*

just checked the viability rankings only to find forret's not even D rank anymore. Uhhh, lets go with Talonflame then, because #flyspam. Alternatively vullaby would work well.

Pokemon proposal for route 7:
Ivysaur (Common) LV 30-35

Reasoning: In case you didn't pick it as a starter, you can pick it here. As stated many times, Mega Venusaur is a huge threat to a lot of pokemon for the simple reason that it never dies. Ever.

Pokemon proposal for route 7:
Grovyle (uncommon) LV 30-35

Reasoning: Mega Sceptile on the other hand IS the lord of the jungle, so it would be no surprise that it'd be found here. A pretty good grass type in that it has dragon as a secondary typing and immunity to thunder wave. Additionally it learns one of the best self healing moves in the game with just enough coverage to get it by as a special sweeper. Or, physical sweeper if you want to go that route. With base 145 speed, there are many uses for it.

-----------------------

Sorry for not posting. School is kicking my ass, plus I have stuff to do on my Deviantart account... like a hack of Emerald XDTHEIRONY...

Alright, time for a rival battle! He's been MIA for awhile now, last seen waaay back in Ordland. When you first met him, he was basically running a FWG core + Honedge, nothing fancy. Well now it's time to introduce some fancy stuff, but first story stuff because frankly the player has probably forgotten who this guy was by now.

*Rival approaches the player as he leaves Sombre Town (just after he passes the first patch of grass)*

Rival: Hey mate, how've you been? I see you are getting badges at a nice rate, especially given all this garbage with Team Luck Sack that's been happening lately. Seriously, it seems like every time I leave a town, badge in hand, TLS attacks it or some nearby place. More importantly, it's been messing up my research! People have started running things that really make no sense on their team just to try and cope with TLS's uncompetitive bullshit, and it's skewing the rate in which people run phasing moves like roar, perish song, and even haze to counter evasion spam and the like, while their recent obsession with abusing sleep moves and the combination of paralysis and confusion has created an enormous spike in grass, ground and electric types. It's not even like these are bad things on their own, but when I can run an ice type move and hit most of my opponent's defensive core super effectively, that's not good. TLS is completely warping what people use in this region and therefore invalidating my entire purpose for coming here in the first place!

*Rival takes a pause and turns around*

Rival: Alright, deep breaths... in.... out...

*Rival turns back to you*

Rival: Sorry about that, needed to vent a bit, that's all. Anyway, I heard you gave them a good asskicking when they hit this town. Thanks for saving me the trouble of doing it myself. I'm curious though, how much did you need to change your team to defeat them? Is your team still able to keep up with the other trainers in the region? Don't bother answering that, as there really is only one way to find out isn't there?

*battle begins*

So given that the team can run one of three starters, so we need 3 teams. Here are three teams I've come up with, each built around each of the three starters.

Greninja Team

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Level: 47
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Level: 45
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Low Sweep
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Anticipation
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Return
- Stone Edge

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Foul Play

I basically made sure Gren had swap ins for common things that forced him out and then tried to make a balanced team.

Charizard Team

Charizard @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Taunt
- Toxic

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Rock Slide

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Used something resembling a zard-y set, added in some defoggers, and then added in a few ground types to make sure this team wasn't wrecked by the first electric type to show it's face. Sylveon is there because special attacker needed.

Venasaur Team

Venusaur @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Defog
- Roost

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Semi-stall stuff. Not much else worth saying.

I'm not super sure about the power levels of these teams, as we're hitting the point that everything is fully evolved and has access to most of their movesets. Feel free to discuss any and all of these teams.

Oh yeah, more quotes:

*3 of rival's mons die*

Rival: I see, you haven't lost any of your punch... but it's not over yet!

*you win*

Loss Quote: Very good game indeed [player]. I will look forward to the next time we do this.

*post-battle*

Rival: I see that I still have quite a bit to learn about teambuilding and such. Maybe I should try fighting some of those TLS people myself, just to experience the frustration and figure out what everyone is trying so hard to counterteam. By the way, I hear that a handful of the pokemon here have something called a "mega form". These pokemon are frequently mediocre or even outright awful but become may magnitudes stronger when they attain this "mega form". I will have to look further into this as I continue my travels in the region. I'll let you know if I find out anything... after battling you again of course!

*rival leaves*

*edit*

Changed rivals starter levels, because that makes too much sense. Also worth noting that Team Preview is in this game, so the rival will not necessarily start with his starter (I'm very curious as to what an AI can do with team preview, but we're assuming an AI as good as any player here).

Last edited:
Ight gonna wrap this up Thursday afternoon (two nights for me) cause i'll actually have time then (stupid cars breaking down). Any last minute suggestions are welcome (pokemon suggestions and what not).

Surf Section
Pokemon Proposal
Azumarrill Lvl 37-40

Azu is a great addition to any team due to its great defensive typing coupled with Huge Power. It can run AV, Band, or BellyJet sets that are all very viable.

Fishing Section
Pokemon Proposal
Good Rod Gyarados Lvl 40

Gyarados is another great water type that has the distinction of having both a viable regular form and Mega form. Regular form can put in work as a defensive tank, Restalker, stall breaker, or Dragon Dancer. It's Mega form is a fantastic Dragon Dancer, one of the best in OU.

Welp yall, its that time again: Smog OU Wrap Up time! (Route Seven Edition!)

Now just to get the list of catchable pokemon out of the way:

Grass
- Swablue (common) Lvl 27-34
- Ivysaur (common) Lvl 31-34
- Grovyle (common) Lvl 35-37
- Skarmory (rare) Lvl 40-43 (held items Metal Coat 25%)
- Scyther (uncommon) Lvl 39-41 (held item: Metal Coat 50%)
- Hawlucha (super rare) Lvl 40-43 (Held item Power Herd 30%)
- Hereracross (uncommon) Lvl 35-41

Surfing
- Azumarill (uncommon) Lvl 37-40
- Politoed (common) Lvl 34-38
- Quagsire (common) Lvl 30-39

Fishing (I cut it down cause I put a hell of a lot in there for fishing...)
- Gyarados (Good Rod) Lvl 40
- Magikarp (Old Rod) Lvl 5

Such a coy little route. It seems harmless at first (it really does!) but underneath all that it shows its dark under belly with, well, evil conmen/assistants destroying poor little bike racks. A thing or two here, and you end up gaining the the Hms from the assistant while assisting (hehe) him in escaping from a biker's vengeful wrath. He seems like a sorta smart guy, but it could really be nothing worth mentioning.

After that, you go towards the direction the lab man ran from, to see a bike depot (car dealership for bikes) and engage in conversation to get a small mission to help the owner out, which leads to this route's main attraction: Desire Cavern which would be silly for me to really try and put all in this one post, but lets just say it was a very nice touch by Phione which serves as the main entertainment of this route (which, true to its intention of pokes, is like an unkept jungle here) and can be read better here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ion-2-route-seven.3521552/page-7#post-5893789

While it is a sorta jungle route, you still get to meet a wide variety of characters. In the area surrounding the lake there, you get to meet a fishermen who bets can win in fishing contest with you...but sees you have no rods. He offers you his spare ones so you can start getting some valuable fishing expertise. You also get two see two trainers, one who doesn't know the meaning of too many Choice items and the other who shows a standard volt-turn team and gives you the two moves in return of defeating him.

And yet, under all of this, you meet your rival for the first time in a long good while. Frankly you don't honestly see the dang person all that well in this jungle brush, but they see you, and you know how these battles go. With the team being all that for being bout mid 40s, he does his job and after some fun, the two of yall part, imparting some sly information about hidden potential in your pokemon through mega evolving. This goes right over your head a bit, but they leave you with that much.

True it doesn't seem like all that much, but it was a big ass route, and should be fun as the next town a lot of our restrictions should be coming to an end soon (megas and legendaries).

Posts showing where we got some of it ( I did add the fishing guy for the joy of it)

Anyway, yah yall, this was a nice little route. Liked how it sorta accidently shaped into that of a jungle but I do enjoy how this stuff goes. Expect info on the next topic tomorrow (yall can still discuss away on what yall would like in meantime).

Last edited:
Uhhh, I was the one who suggested handing out the 2 switch tms, and used all the choiced items. Sorry about that, it was just most of the viable volt switching pokemon were choicers, and I'm not that confident deviating from the standard sets.

Uhhh, I was the one who suggested handing out the 2 switch tms, and used all the choiced items. Sorry about that, it was just most of the viable volt switching pokemon were choicers, and I'm not that confident deviating from the standard sets.
? that's fine man, I enjoyed the idea and it was nice aving something different there for a bit.

Phione yes a town. The one at the end of this route.

So we've got 3 major goals in this town (probably, give or take depending on where you guys stand)

1. Mega Evos: Our pokemon are about 50 by now, we have access to a lot of staple competitive items like LO and choice items, it's time for mega evolutions to be a thing. Obviously we need to give the initial giving of the mega ring a bit of narrative fanfare, but I have an idea to make giving out the rest of mega stones a bit easier.

2. Gym Leader: We need another gym.... yeah.

3. Legendaries(?): Maybe we introduce legendaries too. We're about the right level for it after all. We could even use it as the excuse to introduce your first megamon. Who should we introduce as our first legend? If any at all.

My idea for megamons is to have them patrol routes where their unevolved counterparts live in, but still appear on the overworld like your typical legendary. When you engage them, you will find your "opponent" already mega evolved and a solid 10 levels above the rest of the wild mons there (or in the case that it appears in a low level route, we'll bump it up to whatever the level needs to be to fully evolve). When you catch one, you'll find it in its un-mega'd form holding the mega stone. Unlike your typical legend though, these guys respawn, so you can fight them as many times as it takes (and get some sweet EV training while you're at it). Most mons that can mega evolve are really awful, so we could say that the only reason why these mons are even present in Smog Smog is that they have these badasses protecting them as the story justification for this.

So we've got 3 major goals in this town (probably, give or take depending on where you guys stand)

1. Mega Evos: Our pokemon are about 50 by now, we have access to a lot of staple competitive items like LO and choice items, it's time for mega evolutions to be a thing. Obviously we need to give the initial giving of the mega ring a bit of narrative fanfare, but I have an idea to make giving out the rest of mega stones a bit easier.

2. Gym Leader: We need another gym.... yeah.

3. Legendaries(?): Maybe we introduce legendaries too. We're about the right level for it after all. We could even use it as the excuse to introduce your first megamon. Who should we introduce as our first legend? If any at all.

My idea for megamons is to have them patrol routes where their unevolved counterparts live in, but still appear on the overworld like your typical legendary. When you engage them, you will find your "opponent" already mega evolved and a solid 10 levels above the rest of the wild mons there (or in the case that it appears in a low level route, we'll bump it up to whatever the level needs to be to fully evolve). When you catch one, you'll find it in its un-mega'd form holding the mega stone. Unlike your typical legend though, these guys respawn, so you can fight them as many times as it takes (and get some sweet EV training while you're at it). Most mons that can mega evolve are really awful, so we could say that the only reason why these mons are even present in Smog Smog is that they have these badasses protecting them as the story justification for this.

If I had recalled we had also had a miner in the Dogars City (or Town) that was giving some Mega Stones based on the advancement in the story (like Diancite I know for certainty). I like the idea of making em a boss, but idk. Could get really clogged up later down the line (we got a lot of potential megas lined all together on some routes).

In terms of getting the potential Megas (particularly the ones nonviable in their base form) was to have a Safari Zone area, with the explanation that one people found out about their Mega Stones, the owner began importing them, and keeps them in the Zone for their own safety, while allowing those who have the Mega Ring have the option of catching and using them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)