Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altaria (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 252
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Fire Blast

Crawdaunt (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam
- Iron Head

Here it's one balanced core.

Ok I guess that everybody know how much powerful Crawdaunt is.

I picked Altaria because it can counter Keldeo and check Gyarados, both Crawdaunt counter and check, respectively. Also, it can counter other Crawdaunts too.

Jirachi is here to check Gardevoir, and checks Mega-Venusaur(another Crawdaunt counter) very well.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
May as well post this in the new cores thread

+

A really good stall-killing, offensive utility, trapping core. Gothitelle and Bisharp have a surprising amount of synergy in their roles and together can provide great support for any offensive team.
Bisharp lures in Steel Type walls that commonly run Shed Shell due to the recent popularity of Magnezone, like Ferrothorn and Skarmory, and Knocks Off the Shed Shell for Gothitelle to trap and finish off with an HP Fire. Bisharp also tends to lure in Scizor and a smart double to Gothitelle could also result in an easy KO. Gothitelle also traps eliminates other threats that could impede Bisharp, especially Fighting types like Keldeo and Conkeldurr, as well as Venusaur, Rotom-W, Alomomola, and Quagsire. In return, Bisharp Pursuit traps Gengar and Lati@s, which Gothitelle can't really handle 1v1, and can knock out Tyranitar and the occasional Weavile with Iron Head. Low Kick is also an option for opposing Bisharp and Heatran, but losing coverage on Fairies isn't too ideal imo. Both Pokemon also threaten Chansey with either Trick or the combination of Pursuit and Knock Off.

This core really works wonders for Pokemon who enjoy having the aforementioned threats sniped as well as having hazards stay up on the opponent's side, seeing as how Bisharp discourages Defog. Pokemon that can handle Heatran and Greninja well or set up hazards are also recommended.

Mega Gyarados would make excellent use of this core, seeing as it likes having hazards stay up, doesn't care much about Heatran or Greninja, and has almost every one of it's checks trapped and killed by this core. Azumarill also comes to mind when thinking of good partners for similar reasons. Belly Drum is usually seen as an inferior set nowadays but with the help of this core it works a lot better.

SD Garchomp also seems like a pretty solid teammate to this core, since it also likes having Fairies checked by Bisharp, it can set up Rocks, it beats Heatran, and really appreciates both Pokemon's trapping abilities so it can actually tear some holes into the opposing team instead of just setting up Rocks then dying like most Garchomp nowadays.

Usual Sets:
Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Last edited:
So, now that Serperior is finally getting access to its godly hidden ability, I decided to play around with a nice FWG wall-breaking core to mess up the meta.

@ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt/Substitute

@ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Glare/Taunt

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Rocks and priority are problems to this core, as is Mega Altaria. But it completely tears through the majority of defensive and balanced cores, on paper at least. Serperior is insanely difficult to switch into, as his ability and trolling speed makes it so that usual grass checks like the lati twins, mega metagross, ferrothorn, scizor, salamence, dragonite, etc are KO'd by the right coverage move. Mega Gyara is still an amazing mon and has great synergy with Serperior. Scarf Darmanitan rounds off the core nicely by acting as a revenge killer, scout, and late game cleaner if necessary with that stupidly powerful Flare Blitz. I'm not sure if these are the optimal movesets or EV spreads for these guys, but this is what I came up with. I'm sure someone can come in and tweak anything that needs adjusting. Victini could probably fill Darmanitan's role as well if the added bulk and longevity is preferred, although it doesn't hit quite as hard.

Last edited:
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 246-289 (72.1 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 270-318 (79.1 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Really there's little power difference between Victini and Darmanitan, not to mention Victini gets a secondary STAB and all-around better coverage thanks to those crazy-ass events. I'd just use it over Darm.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
+

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off / Pursuit
- Superpower

This is a core a came up with a friend when building an OU team for him. This is an offensive core with stallbreaker Gardevoir and choice band Scizor, both being able to do huge damage to opposing walls. Gardevoir is probably one of the best stallbreakers at the moment because Mega Sableye can't bounce the taunt back because it risks being killed by Hyper Voice. Scizor is a great teammate in my opinion because of many reasons. First of all its typing is awesome because it resists many types including the steel and poison weakness of Mega Gardevoir. The special bulk of Mega Gardevoir and the physical bulk of Scizor let them both take hits. Superpower on Scizor takes many steel types that often switch in on Gardevoir, but it is not very reliable because of the atk drop and the lack of STAB. U-Turn is an obvious choice because it hits like a truck (it hits harder than Garde's Psyshock) and let is grab momentum for Gardevoir. When choosing Pursuit you can defeat two of the most common switch ins to Mega Gardevoir on stall teams: Jirachi and Bronzong, while also trapping a Victini who is locked in a bolt strike or zen headbutt or a latios after a draco meteor SpD drop.

Other teammates:
Both have a fighting move, however they both struggle with steel types because all 4 combined STABs are resisted by steel types. Focus Blast has an unreliable accuracy and doesn't give you STAB, so pokemon like SpD Heatran can tank a Focus Blast. Scizor struggles with fire types and Mega Gardevoir's low physical bulk makes her impossible to switch into physical attacks. Pokemon that can tank strong physical attacks and fire moves like Hippowdon and Rotom-W (the latter also making a nice voltturn core) are good partners. The core also lacks speed to threaten faster teams so pokemon like Terrakion are nice for speed control and gives full control on steel types.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge / Toxic / Whirlwind

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / X-Scissor

Terrakion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Substitute [if swords dance]
- Stealth Rock / Swords Dance [if substitute]

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Not exactly sure why people are posting Contrary Serperior cores when it isn't even officially available but ok lol. Anyways here's a core I've been using for quite a bit.

+

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade / Sleep Talk

Landorus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave / Psychic / HP Ice
- Calm Mind

By default breaks stall pretty well, can rip apart various balanced cores, and offense has a hard time switching into these on a consistent basis. Heracross is able to break the checks and counters to Lando-I such as Bronzong, Cresselia, Chansey, and your average special defensive walls while Lando-I exploits the weak special side of various physically defensive walls and breaks those. Facade is nice since it's spammable on Heracross after a status but Sleep Talk is pretty hilarious as a Spore absorber on teams that need one. I use Sludge Wave Lando-I on most of my builds now a days cause it has really solid coverage for just about everything. Psychic can be put where Sludge Wave is though to help with Gengar and Conkeldurr, the former pretty much walling you at this point. I like the core on more bulky offense or balanced teams so that there is a defensive backbone for the two to ride off of as they aren't exactly bulky. Slowbro + Ferrothorn is the defensive backbone I've been using lately which has been nice to counteract stuff like Mega Metagross and M-Lopunny, Healing Wish Latias helps with giving them a second wind, and on offensive builds stuff like Bisharp, Mega Metagross, Rotom-W, and Gengar are pretty good team-mates. That's it.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So, now that Serperior is finally getting access to its godly hidden ability, I decided to play around with a nice FWG wall-breaking core to mess up the meta.

@ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt/Substitute

@ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Glare/Taunt

@ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Rocks and priority are problems to this core, as is Mega Altaria. But it completely tears through the majority of defensive and balanced cores, on paper at least. Serperior is insanely difficult to switch into, as his ability and trolling speed makes it so that usual grass checks like the lati twins, mega metagross, ferrothorn, scizor, salamence, dragonite, etc are KO'd by the right coverage move. Mega Gyara is still an amazing mon and has great synergy with Serperior. Scarf Darmanitan rounds off the core nicely by acting as a revenge killer, scout, and late game cleaner if necessary with that stupidly powerful Flare Blitz. I'm not sure if these are the optimal movesets or EV spreads for these guys, but this is what I came up with. I'm sure someone can come in and tweak anything that needs adjusting. Victini could probably fill Darmanitan's role as well if the added bulk and longevity is preferred, although it doesn't hit quite as hard.
Before I start going through the other cores when I have the time, rejecting this one because as Kurona stated, darmanitan is just bad in OU. It's even blacklisted on the viability rankings, if I'm not mistaken. Also, please, please, just wait until we can actually use contrary serperior before posting cores with it.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, sorry for the double post but I'm going to be looking through all the cores posted since the last update. Big post here :P

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute/ Taunt
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

*80 HP/ 252 Atk/ 176 Spe can also be used. However, 248 speed allows you to outspeed greninja at +1 but who knows what will happen after the suspect test.

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire]

*I can't remember specifically what the evs are for but I know you can outspeed clefable with it. Any suggestions are welcome :]

Anyway, I'm surprised this core hasn't been posted yet. Its really great and functions well on balanced teams with proper support. Dragalge serves a cool niche of being able to wallbreak pretty much anything. And dragon/poison coverage plus hp fire is unstoppable. Of course, this is prediction reliant but dragalge wil amost always force switches. Fun fact: dragalge's draco hits 8% harder than mega rayquazas with LO. Essentially, dragalge will either get a kill or severely dent something each time it comes in. When paired with mega gyarados, they have great defensive synergy with dragalge resisting bug, fighting, and electric and gyara resisting ground, ice, and being immune to dark. Mega gyara is also really dangerous right now because of access to mold breaker taunt. This shuts down mega sableye and juts reks stall in general. This core is great try it out guys ;]

EDIT: (Suggestion from yoyonerd)

Dragalge's best set is arguably the specs set since it'll mainly be throwing dracos and sludge waves/bombs. However, a toxic plate or draco plate set can also be used. Life orb shouldn't be used on dragalge since its low speed in tandem with its poor physical bulk will only wear it down even more. Dragalge is meant to tank a weak hit and hit back hard. Gyarados can deal with those steel types that dragalge has trouble with bar ferro (but we have HP fire for that). Sub dd gyara can beat ferro but its a pain because of iron barbs and leech seed. I'm more comfortable predicting a ferro switch and using hp fire. And draco does a ton anyway. This core works great with a wish passer and appreciates (though not necessary imo) defog support. A great partner is togekiss since she provides defog and wish support. I don't wanna add this to the actual core since these 2 can function well without togekiss.
Looks pretty good, please put the sets in hide tags and change Gyarados to Jolly because outspeeding Mega Lopunny / Sceptile / Beedrill is REALLY important.

Can we post a core that isn't necessarily ORAS (I think all of the mons and moves were available in XY)? I'll go ahead and post it, but I can delete it if necessary.

So this is something I've been working on:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Endeavor

Mamoswine is there to get rocks up and to smack Thundurus with Ice Shard allowing the other two better opportunity to sweep. The combination of Endeavor+Focus Sash+Ice Shard also can get a surprise KO or at least severely damage an opponents wall. Which brings us to the two set-up sweepers. Azumarill is here to threaten the rock and ground types that scare Charizard X and in many cases can use them as set-up bait. The combination of Belly Drum and Knock Off is astounding, letting Azu smash through it's previous counters with ease.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 344-405 (97.7 - 115%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 462-544 (106.9 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I've become pretty fond of the double boosting Zard. It lets you pick and choose how to best start smacking the opponents team. See a potential Scarfed Excadrill, Latios or Garchomp, or a Mega Sceptile or Beedrill? Use Tailwind. If you don't foresee speed being an issue, a +2 Adamant Charizard X is no laughing matter.Outrage and Flare Blitz for the sheer power of this mega. Here's an interesting calc:

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 345-406 (86.6 - 102%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Anyways let me know whatcha guys think. It's something I've been working on and I think it's pretty solid, but any ideas would be great. Obviously a Defog/Spinner is great for the team. I've been using Latias, which is a good Rotom-W and Keldeo switch in, provides Defog and can also use Healing Wish to revive Zard or Azu...but I didn't want to post up the whole team. Haha.
Looks good, crisp HO core. Will add.
So, I was trying to build around a mon who doesn't really get much love, M-Swampert without Politoed rain support. While searching for answers to the most common mons who wall Mega Pert, I found out that an offensive variant of Celebi was as good as unexpected.

Offensive Core: Mega Swampert and LO Celebi

+

Swampert (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover / Calm Mind

Mega Swampert is used as a late game cleaner, thanks to his great attack stat and the swift swim boost under his own rain. To weaken his most common switch-ins, a Life Orb Celebi seems like a great fit. Most Celebi are running defensive spreads, set up Calm Minds, Baton Pass here and there, rocks and what else. With Life Orb, dual STAB and HP Fire, Celebi can now weaken or outright KO's a lot of pokemon who easily stop Swampert, acting as a semi-lure. Ferrothorn, defensive Mega Scizor, Rotom-W, Slowbro, Mega Venusaur, Manaphy, Politoed, Amoonguss, Chestnaught are some of those mons. If you want you can forego Recover on Celebi for something like Calm Mind or Nasty Plot, if those CM sweepers really threaten you (even though without Recover this set might not be as effective). You can even complete a possible Water/Fire/Grass core adding something like Earth Power Heatran or Bulk Up Talonflame, in order to create the skeleton for a balanced team.
Nice job, will add in. Cant really comment on the celebis set since its so versatile and can fit it to your teams needs.
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split/Rest

A really strong FWG core that does a good job of having its bases covered. Rotom's Volt Switch can help get the other two in safely, and Talonflame and Sceptile demand respect.

I'm not a Pokemon mastermind, so I'll let somebody else elaborate on this if they want to.
Can you add some pictures and a lot more description to this core? Thanks.
Beedrill@Beedillite
252 atk 252 spe JOlly
Adaptability
-U turn
-Poison Jab
-Drill Run
Knock Off

The offensive part of the core, Adaptability attacks can rip even pokemon who resist it apart. U turn can Scout, Poison Jab is STAB Drill Run is all coverage and Knock off is 'I dont know what to do' button.

Magnezone@Leftovers
252 Sp.Atk 252 HP Modest
Substitute
Thunderbolt
HP Fire
Thunder Wave

The premier wall breaker, Magnezone, and the defensive part of the core. He is the part of the core that traps and kills steels, most notably Skarmory. Substitute is so that status cannot touch it, T bolt is STAB and hits Skarmory. Hidden Power Fire is for Scizor while T wave cripples steels it cant touch.

Starmie@leftovers
252 HP 252 spe Timid
Rapid Spin
Recover
Hydro Pump
Thunder

The supportive part of the core, Starmie keeps rocks away. Recover is for longevity so he can spin for the whole game and the attacking moves deal enough damage.
Rejecting this core, the sets are extremely sub optimal and there is little to no description.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch / Bullet Punch / Pursuit

Manaphy @ Leftovers / Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Energy Ball

Okay, this may look pretty similar to Gallade+Manaphy, and it is, but I personally think it's even better. My biggest problem with Gallade+Manaphy is that it's basically a pure wallbreaking core : you're pairing up two Pokemon that destroy bulkier builds but tend to struggle against faster-paced teams, so you need to pack good anwsers to offense too. However, by pairing MMetagross and Manaphy you have something which fares very well against offensive teams thanks to it great bulk, power, and speed enabling it to switch in a bunch of times and be very difficult for offense to properly switch into in return, as well as something which is very good against defensive teams thanks to its crazy setup and pseudo-status immunity, so this core doesn't really need much support and gives you more freedom when teambuilding.
MMetagross and Manaphy have almost perfect synergy together, given that MMeta's best switchins, (Slowbro, Sableye, Skarmory, Scizor, Hippowdon, Suicune, Mandibuzz, to some extent Jirachi) are all set up on and destroyed by Manaphy who also has no problems switching into any of them (besides I guess Scizor if offensive, but offensive Zor isn't a consistent answer to MMeta anyway). Manaphy also checks Talonflame (especially since Flare Blitz is the move you usually go for if you're facing a Metagross), Greninja, Scarf Lando-T, Sand Rush Excadrill, Scarf Heatran, Victini, really most answers to MMeta you find on offense decently. In return, MMetagross smashes Latis, Kyurem-B, MAltaria, MGardevoir, Unaware Clefable, MVenusaur, Celebi, Mega-Sceptile, Chansey, basically Dragon, Fairy and Grass types which can either wall or check Manaphy. Also, MMetagross can wear down/lure Ferrothorn for Manaphy to break past once it gets to +3 (one Hammer Arm does over 60% to the standard spread, and +3 Scald does 32%, so after one switch into MMeta's Hammer Arm after rocks it can no longer beat Manaphy). So yeah, this is a very solid and powerful bulky offense core. It does need some support, primarily a Mega-Manectric switchin and Electric switch in general, but for the most part it stands on its own legs very well.
Incredibly good core, I have a lot of experience with it - will add.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic
- Protect

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic
- Defog

This defensive core is actually way better than I expected it to be. These two pokemon cover each others weaknesses almost perfectly, and they handle each others checks very well also. Gliscor can handle big physical threats such as landorus-t, mega metagross, and excadrill. Empoleon can take care of special threats such as greninja (if it doesn't get banned), latios and clefable. Greninja can somewhat do something to this core, but gliscor can take a low kick from it. The lati twins are really irrelivant here as well, as Empoleon can take psyshocks from them because of it's steel typing. So, if greninja gets banned, I could see this core becoming more relevant in the ou metagame since there aren't many mixed attackers that carry types that hit both of these pokemon. Overall, this core is pretty decent in the OU suspect metagame because of the absence of Greninja, and I hope this core would get some more love since it is pretty powerful. :)

Calcs to show the bulk:
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 99-117 (26.6 - 31.5%) -- 17.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Empoleon: 94-110 (25.3 - 29.6%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 188+ Def Gliscor: 87-103 (24.5 - 29%) -- possible 6HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 188+ Def Gliscor: 77-91 (21.7 - 25.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 188+ Def Gliscor: 138-163 (38.9 - 46%) -- 75% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal
Not too keen on these sets, Gliscor should not be running protect and roost, as it leaves you very vulnerable to taunt users. Again, as others have said, defiant is pretty bad on empoleon. I'd remove Flash Cannon as well, as you are better off just roaring out clefable if that is your concern.

Mega Altaria is a fearsome sweeper that can rip apart unprepared teams. However, most teams are prepared; all they really have to do is carry a steel type on their team. And that's where Magnezone comes into play. Magnezone traps most Steel Types for Altaria, such as Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Skarmory. Furthermore, it provides a useful volt switch to bring Altaria in safely and allow it to get a free substitute of the Grass and Dragon types that it lures in. Overall, this offensive core is extremely effective against almost all team compositions, but falls apart when faced against a Heatran or a Metagross. For this reason, Pokemon such as Azumarill, Landorus and Dugtrio work well with this Core.
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Substitute
- Return

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Looks very good, can you put the sets into hide tags and make the text the same size as all the other cores? Thanks.

I'd reckon this core I'm gonna post offensive.

Alright, so what is this core? First, the core exists out of the following Pokemon: Lucario, Latias(-Mega) and Weavile. Lucario is a great offensive physical sweeper, Latias-Mega is a bulky Calm Mind user and Weavile is a trapper for Latias. As you can see, this core is offensively based. Lucario and Latias have great typing synergy, as Lucario beats up the Fairy-types that trouble Latias and Latias beats up Fighting-types that trouble Lucario in return, but also have other typing synergy. For example: Lucario double resists Bug and Dark, and Latias is immune to Ground, etc. After, I added Weavile, because it is a great partner here for Latias because it can trap and beat the Ghost-types (mainly Gengar and the rare Cofagrigus) that trouble Latias. However, Sableye, Lando-T and Scarf Excadrill are kinda threats to this core; I like to pair it up with Azumarill, as it can all beat those one by one, but that's your choice.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- ExtremeSpeed

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
EVs: 25 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Any suggestions would be cool, as this is the first core im posting.
You are missing EVs on Latias btw. You need ice shard on weavile, so get rid of pursuit. The thing I dont get about this core is that Latias needs dark types removed to sweep, which is why Weavile makes sense but Lucario doesnt. I honetly just dont see how lucario fits in here, but it is pretty cool how Weavile smacks most dark types that stop latias with low kick.
Not exactly sure why people are posting Contrary Serperior cores when it isn't even officially available but ok lol. Anyways here's a core I've been using for quite a bit.

+

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade / Sleep Talk

Landorus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave / Psychic / HP Ice
- Calm Mind

By default breaks stall pretty well, can rip apart various balanced cores, and offense has a hard time switching into these on a consistent basis. Heracross is able to break the checks and counters to Lando-I such as Bronzong, Cresselia, Chansey, and your average special defensive walls while Lando-I exploits the weak special side of various physically defensive walls and breaks those. Facade is nice since it's spammable on Heracross after a status but Sleep Talk is pretty hilarious as a Spore absorber on teams that need one. I use Sludge Wave Lando-I on most of my builds now a days cause it has really solid coverage for just about everything. Psychic can be put where Sludge Wave is though to help with Gengar and Conkeldurr, the former pretty much walling you at this point. I like the core on more bulky offense or balanced teams so that there is a defensive backbone for the two to ride off of as they aren't exactly bulky. Slowbro + Ferrothorn is the defensive backbone I've been using lately which has been nice to counteract stuff like Mega Metagross and M-Lopunny, Healing Wish Latias helps with giving them a second wind, and on offensive builds stuff like Bisharp, Mega Metagross, Rotom-W, and Gengar are pretty good team-mates. That's it.
Looks great, will add.
+

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off / Pursuit
- Superpower

This is a core a came up with a friend when building an OU team for him. This is an offensive core with stallbreaker Gardevoir and choice band Scizor, both being able to do huge damage to opposing walls. Gardevoir is probably one of the best stallbreakers at the moment because Mega Sableye can't bounce the taunt back because it risks being killed by Hyper Voice. Scizor is a great teammate in my opinion because of many reasons. First of all its typing is awesome because it resists many types including the steel and poison weakness of Mega Gardevoir. The special bulk of Mega Gardevoir and the physical bulk of Scizor let them both take hits. Superpower on Scizor takes many steel types that often switch in on Gardevoir, but it is not very reliable because of the atk drop and the lack of STAB. U-Turn is an obvious choice because it hits like a truck (it hits harder than Garde's Psyshock) and let is grab momentum for Gardevoir. When choosing Pursuit you can defeat two of the most common switch ins to Mega Gardevoir on stall teams: Jirachi and Bronzong, while also trapping a Victini who is locked in a bolt strike or zen headbutt or a latios after a draco meteor SpD drop.

Other teammates:
Both have a fighting move, however they both struggle with steel types because all 4 combined STABs are resisted by steel types. Focus Blast has an unreliable accuracy and doesn't give you STAB, so pokemon like SpD Heatran can tank a Focus Blast. Scizor struggles with fire types and Mega Gardevoir's low physical bulk makes her impossible to switch into physical attacks. Pokemon that can tank strong physical attacks and fire moves like Hippowdon and Rotom-W (the latter also making a nice voltturn core) are good partners. The core also lacks speed to threaten faster teams so pokemon like Terrakion are nice for speed control and gives full control on steel types.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge / Toxic / Whirlwind

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / X-Scissor

Terrakion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Substitute [if swords dance]
- Stealth Rock / Swords Dance [if substitute]
Nice job, adding.
May as well post this in the new cores thread

+

A really good stall-killing, offensive utility, trapping core. Gothitelle and Bisharp have a surprising amount of synergy in their roles and together can provide great support for any offensive team.
Bisharp lures in Steel Type walls that commonly run Shed Shell due to the recent popularity of Magnezone, like Ferrothorn and Skarmory, and Knocks Off the Shed Shell for Gothitelle to trap and finish off with an HP Fire. Bisharp also tends to lure in Scizor and a smart double to Gothitelle could also result in an easy KO. Gothitelle also traps eliminates other threats that could impede Bisharp, especially Fighting types like Keldeo and Conkeldurr, as well as Venusaur, Rotom-W, Alomomola, and Quagsire. In return, Bisharp Pursuit traps Gengar and Lati@s, which Gothitelle can't really handle 1v1, and can knock out Tyranitar and the occasional Weavile with Iron Head. Low Kick is also an option for opposing Bisharp and Heatran, but losing coverage on Fairies isn't too ideal imo. Both Pokemon also threaten Chansey with either Trick or the combination of Pursuit and Knock Off.

This core really works wonders for Pokemon who enjoy having the aforementioned threats sniped as well as having hazards stay up on the opponent's side, seeing as how Bisharp discourages Defog. Pokemon that can handle Heatran and Greninja well or set up hazards are also recommended.

Mega Gyarados would make excellent use of this core, seeing as it likes having hazards stay up, doesn't care much about Heatran or Greninja, and has almost every one of it's checks trapped and killed by this core. Azumarill also comes to mind when thinking of good partners for similar reasons. Belly Drum is usually seen as an inferior set nowadays but with the help of this core it works a lot better.

SD Garchomp also seems like a pretty solid teammate to this core, since it also likes having Fairies checked by Bisharp, it can set up Rocks, it beats Heatran, and really appreciates both Pokemon's trapping abilities so it can actually tear some holes into the opposing team instead of just setting up Rocks then dying like most Garchomp nowadays.

Usual Sets:

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head/Low Kick
- Pursuit/Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball
- Trick
Nice core, although you kinda need Knock Off / Sucker / Iron Head on all Bisharp sets so I would only have the last slot with slashes. Also, if you could put the sets in hide tags that would be great but not necessary.

Regenerator is an excellent ability to pair up with sableye and the trio certainly wouldn't mind being used together with amoongus or tangrowth. Gyarados sets up on and beats magic guard clefables that otherwise come in and calm mind on you (unless they have a life orb). He also beats some common things that try to force sableye out to get rocks up, like heatran. And he's a good scout for charizards; it beats char-y and intimidates char-x (then switch to a different mon) it basically just safely figures out which one it is without losing anything. The speed is to outspeed base 110s after one boost (not that you'll be that strong without any atk EVs). The point of the team I built was abusing sableye and using teammates to, usually, get gyarados boosted up to unmanageable levels. This is facilitated by sableye and tornadus knocking off items to turn things like landorus-I and greninja into weak setup fodder.

With all this in mind, I used a ground type pokemon that convincingly beats rotom (to prevent it from voltswitching out of gyarados and getting an advantage). You might consider a pokemon with dragon/ground or water/ground typing to handle the hydro pumps. I used seismitoad because with toxic on rotom it prepares a gyarados sweep in the future and it can also set up rocks. Furthermore I used some pokemon that can handle other dangerous fairies out there, like diancie and gardevoir, which otherwise come in on sableye and make switching difficult unless you have the right pokemon.

Tornadus-T is a great pokemon to use because the 108-110 speed tier is plenty crowded and knocking off life orbs or choice specs, freely switching into gengars, outspeeding metagrosses, and surviving +2 scizor bullet punches for a heatwave makes him a great check or counter to a great deal of dangerous threats that people try to spam. He also wins 1v1 vs offensive gardevoir with sludge wave and does enough damage to BD azumarill to prevent it from boosting.
Eh, not too sure on this one. With mega sableye, you need something to deal with fairies and this core doesnt really support that. And rest talk dd gyarados is a really sub optimal set, and your choice of moves on Tornadus are quite odd. Holding off on this for now.

To everyone that I asked to make changes to the cores, whether it be formatting or sets, tag me in a post / VM me / like this post to let me know that you have made the changes, or to ask any questions.
Again, great job everyone - really appreciate all the contributions!

Lucario with justified is meant to absorb dark hits in that Luc/Mlati/Weavile core. Good to see the OP actually being updated.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Fair enough, that's reasonable. Lucario really isn't that great in ORAS, but I see the logic behind that.
Isn't Cobalion better in this core for being able to retain momentum with volt switch and has the ability to set up rocks? Actually, isn't Cobalion (or Justified Steel/Fighting) + MLati a core already? It was the first few cores posted.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Isn't Cobalion better in this core for being able to retain momentum with volt switch and has the ability to set up rocks? Actually, isn't Cobalion (or Justified Steel/Fighting) + MLati a core already? It was the first few cores posted.
Yeah lol Cobalion fits much better, and that's already a core in the archive. So idk.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Considering that Latias set isn't the stored power one which means it doesn't have an over dependency on eliminating dark types I don't think it actually matters. I'd honestly prefer Cobalion > Lucario but removing Pursuit from Weavile kind of defeats the purpose of Cobalions ability to grab momentum and thus allow Weavile to Pursuit trap bulky Psychics that would normally switch into Cobalion and Latias. Whatever works really I just think M-Latias is dead-weight with partners that are primarily hyper offensive and although it's an offensive core to me that just seems more balanced than anything.

Pardon my inquiry, AM, but what's the purpose of running 224 Speed EVs on the Heracross in your submitted core? Surely running either max Speed to tie with opposing pre-Mega Heracross or a few EVs fewer to just beat neutral base 90s would be more optimal, would it not? Or am I missing something important that hits 287 Speed that Heracross needs to outpace by one point?

AM

LCPL Champion
Pardon my inquiry, AM, but what's the purpose of running 224 Speed EVs on the Heracross in your submitted core? Surely running either max Speed to tie with opposing pre-Mega Heracross or a few EVs fewer to just beat neutral base 90s would be more optimal, would it not? Or am I missing something important that hits 287 Speed that Heracross needs to outpace by one point?
Outpaces Gyarados (287) before a boost and more team dependent. You can bump it up to 232 for neutral Kyurem-B if you want but that's as much as I would personally go and I haven't seen a neutral speed natured Kyurem-B in forever to justify the change for my own personal reasons. Relying on a speed tie for something that has been pretty limited in usage and isn't too hard to handle these days, M-Heracross, isn't a huge concern for myself. Also relying on a speed tie isn't even a fantastic "strategy" to begin with and people should really stop trying to unless you're in dire need late-game. Everything else with the speed evs or the 232 I suggested you outpace before they M-Evolve such as Gardevoir and Gallade, or they outpace you in the case of stuff like Charizards and Manaphy. The only noticeable one you would speed tie with at Jolly nature full speed is Pinsir before it M-Evolves and you die with a Quick Attack so no point in in having a tie for stuff you'll either already beat or lose to.

Having this on a team with an M-Gross dictates the speed EVs somewhat as well so again, really just team dependent.

o sorry, its 252 HP evs. Also, lucario has great typing synergy and formes a sort of cobalias core, but this one is offensively-based instead of supportive.

Outpaces Gyarados (287) before a boost and more team dependent. You can bump it up to 232 for neutral Kyurem-B if you want but that's as much as I would personally go and I haven't seen a neutral speed natured Kyurem-B in forever to justify the change for my own personal reasons. Relying on a speed tie for something that has been pretty limited in usage and isn't too hard to handle these days, M-Heracross, isn't a huge concern for myself. Also relying on a speed tie isn't even a fantastic "strategy" to begin with and people should really stop trying to unless you're in dire need late-game. Everything else with the speed evs or the 232 I suggested you outpace before they M-Evolve such as Gardevoir and Gallade, or they outpace you in the case of stuff like Charizards and Manaphy. The only noticeable one you would speed tie with at Jolly nature full speed is Pinsir before it M-Evolves and you die with a Quick Attack so no point in in having a tie for stuff you'll either already beat or lose to.

Having this on a team with an M-Gross dictates the speed EVs somewhat as well so again, really just team dependent.
Ah! Jolly Gyarados! That makes sense. After all that looking through common Speed stats to figure it out on my own, I can't believe I missed that one, my bad. Thanks for the expanded advice, too! :)

Reactions: AM

This core is balanced.

So, I've been using this core of Talonflame + Gastrodon for quite a while, and it works out pretty well. While Gastrodon may not be so common in OU, it still manages to stop several attackers quite well. (Rotom-W, Magnezone/ton, Latios, Latias, and more stuff) I thought about using this along with Talonflame, because of its great typing synergy. Talonflame reliably takes on the Grass-types that trouble Gastrodon (Ferrothorn, Breloom, Mega Sceptile and Mega Venusaur, most imporatntly), and in advance, Gastrodon takes on Rock-types with Scald and Earth Power, as well as it can switch into Water-types and Electric-types attacks that bother Talonflame because of Gastrodon being immune to both moves, and it can beat them with a STAB attack or stall them out with Toxic.

So; Talonflame functions as a revengekiller against Grass-types among others, and Gastrodon stalls out several Pokemon that hinder Talonflame. That's what they basically do.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Roost

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover

Agreeing with the above post, it also hits heatran harder than earth power.
e: Actually it is balanced out because earth power hits zard x harder, it really depends on what type of team you're using.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

This core is balanced.

So, I've been using this core of Talonflame + Gastrodon for quite a while, and it works out pretty well. While Gastrodon may not be so common in OU, it still manages to stop several attackers quite well. (Rotom-W, Magnezone/ton, Latios, Latias, and more stuff) I thought about using this along with Talonflame, because of its great typing synergy. Talonflame reliably takes on the Grass-types that trouble Gastrodon (Ferrothorn, Breloom, Mega Sceptile and Mega Venusaur, most imporatntly), and in advance, Gastrodon takes on Rock-types with Scald and Earth Power, as well as it can switch into Water-types and Electric-types attacks that bother Talonflame because of Gastrodon being immune to both moves, and it can beat them with a STAB attack or stall them out with Toxic.

So; Talonflame functions as a revengekiller against Grass-types among others, and Gastrodon stalls out several Pokemon that hinder Talonflame. That's what they basically do.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Roost

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
If you want to use Talonflame as a revenge killer, just go all the way and use a Choice Band abe replace Roost with Steel Wing for Diancie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)