VoltTurn Mayhem

although I would like to find out if perish song switches you out. it wouldn't be useful very often but if a mon just keeps boosting defense and healing it can be useful.
I kind of doubt it, since Perish Song is sort of a field effect. It's possible, though.

Overall, this looks like a really interesting meta. I can see an increase in Pokemon that have immunities, since that's one of the only ways of taking away an opponent's momentum.

Personally, I think the move Protect will be really, really common in this meta. Lets you misdirect wishpassing or stop Fake Out spam.

Personally, I think the move Protect will be really, really common in this meta. Lets you misdirect wishpassing or stop Fake Out spam.
Megadrill is viable nao?

for real tho megadrill no longer has to run u-turn as its bug stab and can use x-scissor(lol) instead ontop of moveslot #4 being more viable in general.

Slaking @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Truant
Adamant / Jolly Nature
Item: Choice Band
Giga Impact
coverage to deal with Ghosts
w/e
w/e

This hits very hard, but loses to Protect / Fake Out / anything that keeps it from acting. If that happens, switch out. Otherwise, wreck stuff.

Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
Adamant / Jolly Nature
Item: Choice Band
Giga Impact
coverage to deal with Ghosts
w/e
w/e

This hits very hard, but loses to Protect / Fake Out / anything that keeps it from acting. If that happens, switch out. Otherwise, wreck stuff.
you should probably run hammer arm and sucker punch(mfw no feint) in slots 3/4

Special starters are all murderous. It's too bad Crustle and Rhyperior are so slow, though I suppose you could try running a Trick Room team for them to spam Rock Wrecker in. It would also incidentally screw with all the speedy sweepers that are liable to be the default, so there's that. Also, Dialga's signature move is no longer 100% terrible. And of course -ate Pokemon spamming Giga Impact/Hyper Beam is amazing stuff.

Also, Draco Meteor, Leaf Storm, Overheat, Superpower, and Psycho Boost are all way better moves now. (Except Contrary Superpower and Leaf storm, RIP Malamar and Serperior) Spam away.

V-Create is of course the stuff of nightmares. Screw Linked, this is the true V-Turn!

Metal Burst is a nifty move, able to retaliate for heavy damage on whatever switched in with not one care given for their typing (Barring Shedinja), and then switching out yourself to something better.

Thrash, Outrage, and Petal Dance are effectively no disadvantage. Outrage is the big one of note, but Petal Dance is the strongest general-access Grass move that isn't Sun dependent, so that's actually noteworthy too.

Inflicting major status is great stuff -Prankster Will O Wisp, Thunder Wave, Sleep Powder, etc, switch out, and the fact that they switch out afterward is only slightly helpful. Toxic is basically worthless though, stick to regular Poison or Burn.

Yes pls unban Mega Gengar. It'll still be good, being really fast and really hard hitting, but it won't be broken. (Other things will be broken instead)

Speaking of sun-dependent weather teams just got buffed considerably since answers tend to not cover every mon and you can switch to your abuser near-instantly with no cost.

Edit: just remembered I was gonna mention guts:pirate:

Guts is practically the stuff of nightmares now since toxic/flame(worse than toxic nao) orb now typically don't damage their holders so you can just come in, use protect/setup then destroy with your OP stab with no real cost and the added benefit of being immune to sleep, freeze(lol), and paralysis.

Swellow @ Toxic Orb.
Guts
-Giga Impact
-Brave Bird
-Endeavor/Quick Attack/Pursuit
-Protect

Last edited:
Special starters are all murderous. It's too bad Crustle and Rhyperior are so slow, though I suppose you could try running a Trick Room team for them to spam Rock Wrecker in. It would also incidentally screw with all the speedy sweepers that are liable to be the default, so there's that. Also, Dialga's signature move is no longer 100% terrible. And of course -ate Pokemon spamming Giga Impact/Hyper Beam is amazing stuff.

Also, Draco Meteor, Leaf Storm, Overheat, Superpower, and Psycho Boost are all way better moves now. (Except Contrary Superpower and Leaf storm, RIP Malamar and Serperior) Spam away.

V-Create is of course the stuff of nightmares. Screw Linked, this is the true V-Turn!

Metal Burst is a nifty move, able to retaliate for heavy damage on whatever switched in with not one care given for their typing (Barring Shedinja), and then switching out yourself to something better.

Thrash, Outrage, and Petal Dance are effectively no disadvantage. Outrage is the big one of note, but Petal Dance is the strongest general-access Grass move that isn't Sun dependent, so that's actually noteworthy too.

Inflicting major status is great stuff -Prankster Will O Wisp, Thunder Wave, Sleep Powder, etc, switch out, and the fact that they switch out afterward is only slightly helpful. Toxic is basically worthless though, stick to regular Poison or Burn.

Yes pls unban Mega Gengar. It'll still be good, being really fast and really hard hitting, but it won't be broken. (Other things will be broken instead)
I don't think we should unban mega gengar, at least not yet. It can still trap everything it ohkos, which is a significant number of mons, and considering every slow pokemon can psedo u-turn now, it is even easier to get it in safely.

Speaking of sun-dependent weather teams just got buffed considerably since answers tend to not cover every mon and you can switch to your abuser near-instantly with no cost.

Edit: just remembered I was gonna mention guts:pirate:

Guts is practically the stuff of nightmares now since toxic/flame(worse than toxic nao) orb now typically don't damage their holders so you can just come in, use protect/setup then destroy with your OP stab with no real cost and the added benefit of being immune to sleep, freeze(lol), and paralysis.

Swellow @ Toxic Orb.
Guts
-Giga Impact
-Brave Bird
-Endeavor/Quick Attack/Pursuit
-Protect
Facade is probably the better choice since the loss in power is minimal and Giga Impact can miss

Fake Out on EVERYTHING!

Neat idea, though. But I don't really see how this also favours Stall too, as the OP says. Things like Banded Slaking's Giga Impact and Victini's V-Create leave no room for Stall because Pivoting is an important Stall strategy. There's no scope for Pivoting here.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
I tested this code after fixing the problem with app.js
config/formats.js
Code:
	{
		name: "VoltTurn Mayhem",
		desc: [
			"All Pokémon automatically switch out upon using a move that affects the opponent.",
			"&bullet; <a href=\"https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3527847/\">VoltTurn Mayhem</a>",
		],
		section: "OM of the Month",

ruleset: ['OU'],
		banlist: [],
		onValidateTeam: function (team, format) {
			let fakeCount = 0;
			let move = {};
			for (let i = 0; i < team.length; i++) {
				if (team[i].moves) {
					for (let j = 0; j < team[i].moves.length; j++) {
						move = this.getMove(team[i].moves[j]);
						if (move.id === "fakeout" && fakeCount > 0) return ["You are limited to one user of Fake Out per team.", "(" + (team[i].name || team[i].species) + " has Fake Out)"];
						if (move.id === "fakeout") fakeCount += 1;
					}
				}
			}
		},
		onModifyMove: function (move) {
			let validTargets = {"normal":1, "any":1, "randomNormal":1, "allAdjacent":1, "allAdjacentFoes":1};
			if (move.target && !move.nonGhostTarget && (move.target in validTargets)) move.selfSwitch = true;
		},
	},
Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back to studying for my japanese test

Last edited:
Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper CUtter
EVs: 252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
Jolly nature
- Giga Impact
- Filler
- Filler
- Filler
Basically, this thing comes in, mega evolves, nukes stuff with aerilate giga impact, and switches. The same thing can be done with glalie as well
I can see birdspam becoming really good in this meta due to TFlame's priority brave birds and the fact that it gives a free switch in to whatever comes out.
Also, on starters, Hydro Cannon > Hydro Pump wherever possible, same goes for blast burn over generic special fire STAB.

Neat idea, though. But I don't really see how this also favours Stall too, as the OP says. Things like Banded Slaking's Giga Impact and Victini's V-Create leave no room for Stall because Pivoting is an important Stall strategy. There's no scope for Pivoting here.
Never really said it favors stall, I simply said Volturn (in standard) are handy moves for stall and offense.

As for stalling in this meta, hazards will likely be very potent. So, in theory, a stall player could build mons to take heavy hits from a wide variety of targets and abuse abilities like Intimidate and Regenerator. Mix in Wish, slow switches when the match-up is favorable and priority moves for quick switches against a bad match-up and you could, in theory, wear the opponent down with hazard damage. (This happened a lot to me against stall teams in Gen V UU with a HO Faketurn team.)

Though I'd really love to see the resident OM stall players take a crack at this to see what they come up with.

Never really said it favors stall, I simply said Volturn (in standard) are handy moves for stall and offense.

As for stalling in this meta, hazards will likely be very potent. So, in theory, a stall player could build mons to take heavy hits from a wide variety of targets and abuse abilities like Intimidate and Regenerator. Mix in Wish, slow switches when the match-up is favorable and priority moves for quick switches against a bad match-up and you could, in theory, wear the opponent down with hazard damage. (This happened a lot to me against stall teams in Gen V UU with a HO Faketurn team.)

Though I'd really love to see the resident OM stall players take a crack at this to see what they come up with.
I don't think stall teams will be very viable in this meta. While at first, it may seem good because you will possibly be able to keep up momentum thanks to you being slow, the first time you use a recovery move you will be locked into a cycle of the opponent spamming hyper beams and giga impacts or other powerful moves until something dies, as they can just continue to spam appropriate moves, you being forced to switch, and them u-turning out into a check. Stall teams would probably rely heavily on hazards to try stop this, as well as whirlwind/roar to regain momentum, if they do give the u-turn effect. Hazard removal is going to be very important in this meta.

Just played, and I really like this metagame. I'll be posting sets in this thread.

So firstly, I present this guy, the soon-to-be undisputed God of Volt-Turn Mayhem (no I am not being sarcastic, I am really, really serious.)

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 2
- Pain Split
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Bulldoze

Probopass is extremely broken in my opinion, as it badly harms the the opponent's HP, fully heals itself, and grants momentum to his teammates. There is nothing that can counter this set. The lack of Substitute and Taunt in this metagame allows Probopass to easily do its job. As we all know, providing momentum is extremely easy to do. You need to have great Anti-Hazard Pokemon to help support this set, as well as a slow and Bulky Pokemon such as Regenerator Assault Vest Tangrowth, since Probopass needs all the momentum he can get. Mold Breaker Pokemon, Pokemon with both Feint and Fake Out, and Multi-hitting Pokemon all need to be taken account of. His level gives him 15 HP, which is the highest it can go to minimise hazard damage. Bulldoze and Stealth Rock are filler moves: Bulldoze lowers the opponent's speed, so that could help some teammates if you can't use Pain Split for some reason, while Stealth Rock is a useful move that allows our moustache friend to support its teammates with hazard; however, both these options are generally very risky. Meanwhile, Protect is needed to scout and defeat Fake Out Pokemon. Even if it takes Stealth Rock damage on the free switch, it can easily use Protect to get back to its maximum HP.

I personally think this guy can easily get suspected in the future! Be sure to test him out and submit your thoughts.

Last edited:
I doubt that the Probopass set will be suspected. It would be quite powerful, but it is rendered useless by burn, fake out (which will probably be everywhere), multi-hit moves, mold breaker, as well as some other moves that might come about to counter it (include Substitute, since nearly everything gets that).

I didn't save the replays, but someone else did, but currently some moves aren't working. Outrage, Brave Bird, and Earthquake don't do any switches, and Dark Pulse wasn't switching after fainting things. I'll assume for the moment similar moves also don't switch. (So, Talonflame is a sad bird right now).

Also, I'm the first scrub to bring an OU team to VM. Woot!

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
I didn't save the replays, but someone else did, but currently some moves aren't working. Outrage, Brave Bird, and Earthquake don't do any switches, and Dark Pulse wasn't switching after fainting things. I'll assume for the moment similar moves also don't switch. (So, Talonflame is a sad bird right now).

Also, I'm the first scrub to bring an OU team to VM. Woot!
Earthquake is something I intentionally did due to there being no precedents for multi-hit moves switching, but Outrage and Brave Bird are bugs but those can easily be fixed. I've edited my code posts accordingly.

Pikachuun Thanks! Though since this is singles, I'd prefer if EQ and other spread moves to switch too to keep to the flavor of the meta and to avoid confusion among newer players.

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- Sludge Wave

Regenerator is going to be good...

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Giga Impact
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Sylveon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Baby-Doll Eyes

...and so is the rest moves...

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Talonflame @ Choice Band/Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- Roost

...and so is strong priority.

Also Fake Out is suuuper awesooome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)