Hidden Type

-Electric typing lets it push past Flying Heatran using Hidden Power Electric. (Not Grass Heatran, alas) It has the additional bonus of rendering it immune to Paralysis, which is actually huge since it's so badly crippled by being Paralyzed normally and Prankster Thunder Wave is absolutely a thing.

-Conversely, Dragon Clefable completely walls most variations, being resistant to Fire, Bug, Grass, Electric... all while Unaware.
Not to sure on the electric typing though. For one thing it would have to lose Giga Drain(Fiery Dance and Bug Buzz are too important to not use). Which means it has access to zero recovery, so it'll die quickly. That doesn't really matter though, I suppose. And it is killed by Water Gliscor and has some trouble with Quagsire I guess. But in both cases, I think it can handle them. So it's still a good typing though, because as you said immunity to paralysis is good.

Ah right. I hadn't thought of Dragon Clefable to be honest. Though outside of Flamethrower, I don't think there's anyway for it to anything to Steel Volcarona.

... Keldeo is not S-rank. It's S-rank in Standard primarily because Secret Sword gives it the distinction of being the only Special attacker that can simply shove Chansey aside. Ghost Chansey is the default in Hidden Type, taking away its greatest strength. Not only that, but its painfully limited movepool means it's ability to get offensive utility out of an added type is almost literally restricted to Hidden Power STAB, and its typing is in an awkward position where there's just not any really amazing add from a defensive perspective. It also doesn't heavily value any specific utility of any type, especially since the Substitute-Calm mind set is protected from Prankster Thunder Wave and the like by the Substitute itself and it's not really scared of trappers, so it just gets very little out of this meta.

Not only that, but Unaware Water Clefable defeats it completely, resisting Fighting and Water (And Icy Wind while it's at it) and ignoring all those Calm Minds, all while knowing for a fact that Moon Blast will be at least neutral against it. (Dragon Clefable also walls its STABs)

Ghost Ferrothorn is also unimpressed with its STABs, being only really bothered by the Burn chance on Scald.

Etc.

Keldeo is certainly still relevant to the Hidden Type meta, but compared to Standard it's almost all downside, and, again, its single greatest advantage is taken away from it. I'd place it at B+, maybe somewhere in A. The hit it takes from Hidden Type is just so huge, and attempting to compensate will tend to make things worse. (If you have Ghost typing to protect it from Chansey's Seismic Toss, that's pretty much the only utility you're getting out of that typing)

I'd like to add two points.

-Electric typing lets it push past Flying Heatran using Hidden Power Electric. (Not Grass Heatran, alas) It has the additional bonus of rendering it immune to Paralysis, which is actually huge since it's so badly crippled by being Paralyzed normally and Prankster Thunder Wave is absolutely a thing.

-Conversely, Dragon Clefable completely walls most variations, being resistant to Fire, Bug, Grass, Electric... all while Unaware.

It hits brutally hard against a wide variety of (Relevant) targets, its Speed of 100 is actually quite good in the overall slower Hidden Type meta, it has a wide variety of support tools for messing with things that expect to be able to tank its straight firepower (Will O Wisp, Thunder Wave, Taunt...), the Paralysis immunity actually ensures that it will hold that Speed tier... it's a really good Pokemon, and even its fragility is surprisingly manageable. Banded Brave Bird off Talonflame is not a OHKO, where it is in Standard, for instance.

I doubt + to - is going to be implemented for S rank. And, again, Keldeo isn't S, I disagree that Mega Altaria is S (And so do a bunch of other people!), and Heatran is most certainly not S. Heatran is held back by its lack of recovery and poor Speed, when the main value it brings to the table is walling a lot of things -that's a lot harder when it's totally reliant on Leftovers and Wish passing to have staying power.

The only thing I see as plausible for moving up to S out of current nominations is Mew, which could potentially be ridiculously amazing if people really start trying to exploit its immense versatility, rather than just running OU Stallbreaker Mew and slapping on Dark for STAB Knock Off. Maybe Dark Death Diggersby if it proves to be even more amazing at this extremely narrow role than it's already proven. And I'm skeptical of even those.

Yes, and prepared teams are reliably prepared for any variation of Mega Altaria. Part of why Dragonite is S rank is that pretty much any check or counter is only to a specific build -add the right coverage and it dies. Landorus-Incarnate has a similar dynamic ("I brought my special wall, and WAIT KNOCK OFF WHAT" "I brought my Pokemon that walls Knock Off, Sludge Wave, and Earth Power WAIT GRAVITY WHAT"), while Manaphy doesn't but it's fine because it can 6-0 even prepared teams with good prediction or team support. (Back when Hidden Type had a ladder the first time, Old_Gregg had Zapdos passing Agility to it, and this could wreck teams reliant on revengers that are faster than Manaphy)

Nice!

But I already hit a bug: I input Fighting/Water/Steel and it claims Dark is neutrally effective against it.

---

Nominating Dark or Ground Mega Beedrill for C+. Dark Mega Beedrill has an insanely hard-hitting Knock Off that almost nothing wants to switch in on, while Ground Mega Beedrill's Drill Run is amazing support to its U-Turn and, crucially, renders it neutral to Stealth Rock, offering far more endurance over the course of a match when U-Turning out constantly. Even its fragility is manageable, because priority is surprisingly uncommon, and with Hidden Type running on the slow side it has more potential to simply Mega Evolve and attack, rather than having to Protect on the first. (Though in practice it usually will have to do so anyway, but it helps) Its biggest problem is that it competes with other Megas (Most notably Mega Altaria), and its other biggest problem is that there are other, arguably better Pokemon for the hit-and-run role. Also, U-Turn is far more commonly resisted, double resisted, or even merely neutral where it would be super effective -Ghost Ferrothorn resists, Ghost and Flying Tyranitar are neutral, Steel Dragonite is doubly resistant, etc. It helps that Grass is an add on some crucial Pokemon, such as Manaphy, but while Mega Beedrill definitely does some cool things, it just isn't a defining threat. More's the pity. :(
First of all, yes to Mew. I support it being S out of sheer unpredictability
Secondly, fine Heatran's not S and I'll let MAltaria nominations rest for awhile until the ladder has settled.
Thirdly, Keldeo...
There are pokemon Keldeo loses to in standard 100% of the, there's zero chance of Keldeo is going to win (Latias, Mega Slowbro) that doesn't mean it's one of the most centralising threads in the metagame. It's immensely powerful being able to destroy cores, offensive or defensive alike. Keldeo doesn't lose out on that in this metagame.

Chansey loses to Sub CM Ghost Keldeo which is very common as it again checks Keldeo, Keldeo can set up to +6 without any worries and then kill it off with a burn.
+6 252 SpA Keldeo Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 331-391 (47 - 55.5%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO

Keldeos specs set also doesn't particularly lose anything. It now has a stab Hidden power to beat everyone of the threats you mentioned, it's uncounterable.

A+

/
|

Water Gliscor is one of the best defensive pivots in Hidden Type. Water typing removes its crippling 4x weakness to Ice, replacing it with just a 2x Ice weakness and substituting the Water weakness for 2x to Grass instead. Meanwhile, it gains resists to both Fire and Steel. Not only that, but Gliscor gets a nice new STAB in Aqua Tail which is surprisingly useful to nail things like Landorus and Heatran hard. Poison Heal, great bulk, and access to reliable recovery and Taunt makes Gliscor annoying for both Offense and Stall.

A-

|

Ghost Chansey is like regular Chansey except it's only weak to Dark, rather than Fighting. With 3 immunities, it's a full stop to threats like Ground/Steel Keldeo, Ghost Porygon-Z, and Grass Manaphy while still being a great Wish passer. Beware of Knock Off.

A-

|

Ghost Chansey is like regular Chansey except it's only weak to Dark, rather than Fighting. With 3 immunities, it's a full stop to threats like Ground/Steel Keldeo, Ghost Porygon-Z, and Grass Manaphy while still being a great Wish passer. Beware of Knock Off.
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 417-492 (59.2 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Bulky Manaphy wins)

+6 252 SpA Keldeo Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 331-391 (47 - 55.5%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO (Ghost Keldeo sets up on Chansey w/ sub)

I'm not disagreeing with A-, that I agree with. But just pointing out that you shouldn't use Chansey as your Keldeo & Manaphy answer.

Just spectated the most hilarious Hidden Type game.
I was too hyped to save the replay or remember the alts but just check out this guys team xD

Ambipom + Mega Hercross + Kyurem Black + Rampardos + Slaking + Regigigas.

The niche: Dark type Ambipom with Beat Up.
For those who don't know; Beat Up attacks once for each non fainted pokemon without a status. Each strike has a base power of the pokemon's base Atk stat divided by 10, and then +5.
So for the hit using Mega Heracross' Atk stat, it will deal 185 divided by 10 and then +5. This = 23.5, then Technician boosts it too 35.25.

So with all pokemon alive and without status, the equation looks something like:
35.25 + 33 + 32.25 + 31.5 + 31.5 + 22.5 = 186 base power
Then when you add in STAB and a Choice Band you get your Ambipom doing stuff like this:

252+ Atk Choice Band Ambipom Crunch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 178-211 (51.7 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I also just so happened to be watching the guy win too, which I'd imagine doesn't happen very often when you have an Ambipom, Slaking, Regigigas and Rampardos.

Heracross led to Mega evolve and hit Gliscor as it switched in.
Gliscor set up SR as Ambipom came in.
Ambipom proceeded to KO 4 pokemon. The opponent was very surprised to see his Physically defensive Gliscor KOed so easily, as well as his Max speed Jolly Victini falling short of out speeding the Adamant Monkey, and his Breloom killed through its sash, even his sashed Alakazam fell thinking it could KO with Psychic!
LO Timid Latios finally put an end to the Monkey's slaughter, but only to be cleaned up Scarf Kyub.

Easily the greatest thing I've seen in months. Kudos to that guy.

I was too hyped to save the replay or remember the alts but just check out this guys team xD

For those who don't know; Beat Up attacks once for each non fainted pokemon without a status. Each strike has a base power of the pokemon's base Atk stat divided by 10, and then +5.
So for the hit using Mega Heracross' Atk stat, it will deal 185 divided by 10 and then +5. This = 23.5, then Technician boosts it too 35.25.

So with all pokemon alive and without status, the equation looks something like:
Then when you add in STAB and a Choice Band you get your Ambipom doing stuff like this:

252+ Atk Choice Band Ambipom Crunch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 178-211 (51.7 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I also just so happened to be watching the guy win too, which I'd imagine doesn't happen very often when you have an Ambipom, Slaking, Regigigas and Rampardos.

Ambipom proceeded to KO 4 pokemon. The opponent was very surprised to see his Physically defensive Gliscor KOed so easily, as well as his Max speed Jolly Victini falling short of out speeding the Adamant Monkey, and his Breloom killed through its sash, even his sashed Alakazam fell thinking it could KO with Psychic!
LO Timid Latios finally put an end to the Monkey's slaughter, but only to be cleaned up Scarf Kyub.

Beat up uses only the users attack stat in calculation which means he basically used 6 hit dark type arm thrust which adds up to 135 before stab

252+ Atk Choice Band Ambipom Crunch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 130-154 (37.7 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Beat up uses only the users attack stat in calculation which means he basically used 6 hit dark type arm thrust which adds up to 135 before stab

252+ Atk Choice Band Ambipom Crunch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 130-154 (37.7 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Bulbapedia said:
Instead of using each party member's Attack stat, the user's Attack alone is used to calculate the damage of each strike. Furthermore, the base power per strike is no longer 10, but instead individually based on the Attack base stats of the party Pokémon:

Base power = (party member's base Attack) / 10 + 5

Thus, the damage dealt by each strike still depends on the other party members, but is now determined by base Attack instead of the Attack stat. Beat Up now receives STAB fromDark-type users and no longer deals typeless damage. Beat Up ignores changes to stat levels such as Swords Dance, but each strike does increase in power from Attack-boosting items like the Choice Band if held by the user.
Isa Simple is correct concerning Beat Up's mechanics.

Isa Simple is correct concerning Beat Up's mechanics.
He is in fact not and you would know that if you could lern2read. I'm astonished that someone would post supporting evidence while thinking that it opposes. What it means by "attack depends on other party members" is that if a party member is unhealthy they can't "put in an attack". In fact bulbapedias page seems to be subject to bad wording in the latter half assuming the quote is incorrupted.

Although this guy's team is clearly a gimmick and would probably not do very well at higher levels, it might be worth trying Ambipom with more viable teammates which still have high attack stats such as Landorus-T, Dragonite, and Excadrill. If I understand Beat Up correctly, a drop of 10 base attack on one of the teammates corresponds to a drop of 1 base power on Beat Up, so I don't think you would really need to resort to Slaking, etc. to still get a powerful Beat Up. Granted, the strategy depends on keeping the teammates alive and free of status, but Ambipom has other options to fall back on such as STAB Knock Off, STAB Technician Pursuit to trap Ghost types, and Switcheroo.

Edit: I can't find a source which clearly describes how Beat Up works.

Last edited:
Although this guy's team is clearly a gimmick and would probably not do very well at higher levels, it might be worth trying Ambipom with more viable teammates which still have high attack stats such as Landorus-T, Dragonite, and Excadrill. If I understand Beat Up correctly, a drop of 10 base attack on one of the teammates corresponds to a drop of 1 base power on Beat Up, so I don't think you would really need to resort to Slaking, etc. to still get a powerful Beat Up. Granted, the strategy depends on keeping the teammates alive and free of status, but Ambipom has other options to fall back on such as STAB Knock Off, STAB Technician Pursuit to trap Ghost types, and Switcheroo.

Edit: I can't find a source which clearly describes how Beat Up works.
http://pokemondb.net/move/beat-up
You're welcome fren

He is in fact not and you would know that if you could lern2read. I'm astonished that someone would post supporting evidence while thinking that it opposes. What it means by "attack depends on other party members" is that if a party member is unhealthy they can't "put in an attack". In fact bulbapedias page seems to be subject to bad wording in the latter half assuming the quote is incorrupted.
What he calculated is exactly what the mechanics on both the Bulbapedia page and the link you shared in your previous post state the mechanics are. Take a long look at both of them:

Your link said:
Let's say we have the ultimate team of 1 Weavile and 5 Magikarps. One of the Magikarps is paralyzed, so only 4 can attack withBeat Up. Weavile's base Attack is 120, while Magikarp's is an incredible 10. Beat Up would attack 5 times, first with 17 base power (120 ÷ 10 + 5) and then 4 times with 6 base power (10 ÷ 10 + 5). The result would be as if Weavile had attacked with a Dark type move of 41 base power.

Your base 135 power value seems to come out of nowhere, and the only thing I could conclude is you seem to be under the assumption that it uses Ambipom's base attack stat 6 times using 22.5 x 6 = 135. His calculation according to the link you provided is correct and the base power is 186 since it uses the base attack of other Pokemon for the other 5 hits. Just take a look at that Magikarp example and what his calculation was (And I'm not sure what status even has to do with it, since the Ambipom will be sweeping while the rest of the team is unharmed).

I'm astonished that someone would post supporting evidence while thinking that it opposes.

Last edited:

What he calculated is exactly what the mechanics on both the Bulbapedia page and the link you shared in your previous post state the mechanics are. Take a long look at both of them:

Your base 135 power value seems to come out of nowhere, and the only thing I could conclude is you seem to be under the assumption that it uses Ambipom's base attack stat 6 times using 22.5 x 6 = 135. His calculation according to the link you provided is correct and the base power is 186 since it uses the base attack of other Pokemon for the other 5 hits. Just take a look at that Magikarp example and what his calculation was (And I'm not sure what status even has to do with it, since the Ambipom will be sweeping while the rest of the team is unharmed).
Well, it must've changed from its gen5 mechanics at some point in time.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
A

/
|

Dark Type Diggersby, affectionately nicknamed "Dark Death Diggersby", is an unexpected threat in the meta that is all about spamming insanely powerful Dark STABs (and I'm not talking about Knock Off). There's not much to talk about here except that Huge Power and STAB Foul Play obliterates everything in sight, and not just limited to physical attackers either. It can run a Scarf set for immediate speed or an Agility set. For the most part it only does one thing in this meta, but it does it so well and so few things in the meta resist Dark type attacks that Diggersby can shine.
I don't understand the Foul Play over Knock Off?

I don't understand the Foul Play over Knock Off?
Just quoting I like donkeys here as it's easier to explain.
Holy shit, dark-type Diggersby with foul play. Slap on a scarf and watch things die: (fyi huge power doubles the power of foul play)

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Steel Dragonite: 363-427 (112.3 - 132.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (assuming max attack + adamant)
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Ghost Bisharp: 331-391 (121.6 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (a type that doesnt resist dark) Mega Heracross: 357-421 (118.6 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(holy fuck, thats not even adamant)

Who cares if it's 4x weak to mach punch and basically every form of priority amirite?

Add that to the fact that you can invest all EVs in Defense and HP, because your opponent has invested in Attack for you.

And you can be Mono-Attacking and not give a shit. But I recommend a set of Sub / Foul Play / Earthquake / Agility.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Doesn't it effect your opponents attack not yours. So why does Huge Power play a factor if it is your ability?

Doesn't it effect your opponents attack not yours. So why does Huge Power play a factor if it is your ability?
because HP technically doesn't double your attack but actually doubles your effective attack(which in this case is your opponent's) or something similar to that.

Without huge power:
252 Atk Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 264-312 (87.7 - 103.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

With huge power:
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Metagross: 524-620 (174 - 205.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The calcs say it all. As you can see, foul play does a ridiculous amount of damage when foul play is factoring in huge power, allowing Diggersby to easily KO physical attackers that don't resist foul play. To top it off, it has a powerful STAB earthquake and a decently powerful u-turn.

Also lets not deny the wall breaking potential of Choice Band Dark Death Diggersby. Scarf is generally a better option for revenge killing, but Choice Band hits so hard and you can still bluff a scarf.
Just let me provide some calcs of my own:

(All these defensive pokemon have 0 Atk investment)
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 195-231 (55.3 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 237-279 (56.4 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 177-208 (51.4 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 286-337 (68 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Gliscor: 210-247 (59.3 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 214-253 (54.3 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And that's just Foul Play, anything not KOed by that is KOed by Earthquake or Wild Charge.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 216-256 (64.6 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 279-328 (70.8 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 195-231 (64.1 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even special attackers aren't safe if they have 50+ Atk

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (Dark) Gengar: 292-345 (112.7 - 133.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I personally prefer Scarf DDD, but my friend has obliterated many opponents with this monster, the Bunny of Death knows no limits.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD (Ground)
- Smack Down
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Substitute

A set to punish HP Flying mons and Levitate mons. Takes advantage of Aero's great speed tier. Not as versatile as Lando-I, but much quicker and has recovery. Since Ground/Rock moves have good synergy you can count on one of the attacks hitting 99% of things you see in the meta for at least neutral damage. It isn't the greatest thing ever but it can easily punish the switches that Mega-Aero in known to force. Also worth noting that this set is a very reliable bird spam check.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)