Iron Chef: Smogon UU Edition - Teambuilding Competition, R10 - Cantata! (See p#595)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Thread idea approved by Sam and Hikari.

Long ago, a man's fantasy became a reality in a form never seen before: Kitchen Coliseum, a giant arena where chefs can cook up new original Pokemon teams and see them tested. The motivation for spending his fortune to create Kitchen Coliseum was to encounter new original teams which could be called true artistic creations.

To realize his dream, he secretly started choosing the top chefs of various styles of battling, and he named his men the Iron Chefs: the invincible men of culinary skills. They are:

Iron Chef xMarth (st123) 17-8
Iron Chef Christo The Gr8 27-12

Iron Chef LilOuOn 12-5
Iron Chef Euphonos 12-6
Iron Chef Decision Makers

Former Iron Chefs:
Iron Chef YABO 3-4
Iron Chef Hairy Toenail 9-3

Kitchen Coliseum is the arena where Iron Chefs await the challenges of master chefs from around the world. Challengers must build around the theme ingredient of the round. Using all their senses, skill and creativity, they are to prepare artistic teams never tasted before.

Every battle, reputations are on the line in Kitchen Coliseum, where master chefs pit their artistic creations against each other. What inspiration does this round's challenger bring? And how will the Iron Chef fight back?

The heat will be on!

RULES
  • PART 1: Teambuilding. Each round, a theme ingredient will be revealed. Contestants have a week to build around this secret ingredient, which may be a core, team concept or theme. This team must be submitted to the Chairman by the end of the week via PM.
    • Teams should be submitted in a standardized format, including the six Pokemon and their sets, followed by a brief description of how the team works and an importable. This is not an RMT, so don't feel like you need to devote several lines of description for each Pokemon, but it is your responsibility to ensure that judges understand how your team functions.
  • PART 2: Challenge. Once your dish has been sent to the Chairman, it is time to put it to the test! To do this, challenge one of our four Iron Chefs here on the thread, and arrange for a battle. The Iron Chefs are NOT required to use the theme ingredient. Instead, they will push your team to its breaking point. Contestants have a week to complete their battles with an Iron Chef.
    • If a battle cannot be arranged between a contestant and the Iron Chef originally challenged, one of the other Iron Chefs may step in and battle in his or her stead.
    • Battles must be played using the team that was PM'd to the Chairman. Any discrepancies between teams may result in disqualification.
    • Losing this battle does not disqualify you from being judged. However, winners will receive 2 bonus points when going into judging, while losers will lose 1 point.
    • All challenges and replays must be posted on the thread.
  • PART 3: Judging. Once all battles are completed, the Chairman will reveal all of the teams, along with their battle replays. Judges will have one week to give each team a score based on three separate categories: Originality, Use of the Theme, and Effectiveness.
    • ORIGINALITY (0-5 POINTS): Is your finished dish a delight never before tasted by our judges, or is it the same standard fare? Your goal is not to merely reheat an existing team, but to break boundaries and challenge standards. A team that was copied from an RMT or tournament with a few minor changes should score poorly here, while a team full of new ideas could bring home as many as five points.
    • USE OF THE THEME (0-5 POINTS): How well does your team use this round's theme? Is it merely tacked on to satisfy the tournament's requirements, or is it a fundamental part of how the team works? A team that barely uses the round's theme could end up with nothing here, while a team that not only uses the theme but redefines might win it all.
    • EFFECTIVENESS (0-10 POINTS): And now we're down to the real meat of the dish. How good is the team? This category is worth twice as much as the other two, because in the end, it doesn't matter how original your dish is - if it doesn't taste good, then people won't eat it. A team that will struggle to succeed in the current metagame, even against mediocre teams, might receive a zero here. On the other hand, show the judges how great your team is, and you could take home a full ten points.
    • Final scores will be determined by averaging all of the judge's scores, giving each dish a final score between 0 and 20. Also, winning your Iron Chef battle gives you two bonus points, while losing costs you a point..
    • Anyone who does not currently have a dish entered this round may judge. This includes the Iron Chefs and the Chairman, but disqualifies any current contestants from judging.
    • Anyone who chooses to judge gets to pick the next round's ingredient!
  • PART 4: The Spoils of the Victor. All winners, along with their dishes, will be entered into our fabled Hall of Fame. These hallowed halls will show the best of the best, and be preserved for future rounds. In addition, anyone who has entered the Hall of Fame at least twice may choose to supplant one of our existing Iron Chefs, and take on the mantle themselves!
This round's theme is...

Cantata!

For round 10 on Iron Chef, get ready for a feast for the ears, as contestants show off their sound-based moves!

In order for your dish to qualify this round, you must have at least two pokemon on your team with sound-based moves. There are twenty-two sound-based moves this generation, including powerful attacks such as Bug Buzz or Hyper Voice and support moves like Perish Song and Roar. How can you bring these sounds together into harmonic resonance?

A full list of qualifying moves includes:
Boomburst, Bug Buzz, Chatter, Confide, Disarming Voice, Echoing Voice, Grass Whistle, Growl, Hyper Voice, Metal Sound, Noble Roar, Parting Shot, Perish Song, Relic Song, Roar, Round, Screech, Shadow Panic, Sing, Snarl, Snore, Supersonic, Uproar
Will our Iron Chefs be able to keep tempo with our contestants? Find out on this round of Iron Chef!

You have one and a half weeks to complete your dishes, PM them to the chairman, and challenge one of our five Iron Chefs on the thread. The deadline for teambuilding and challenges expires Saturday, October 10 at 11:59 PM GMT.

Allez cuisine!

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
~~ Hall of Fame ~~

ROUND 1: Healing Factor (All teams must have at least two pokemon with the Regenerator ability)

WINNER: teal6
Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Vine Whip (Chairman Edit: LOL gj teal6)
- Leech Seed
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Mienshao @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Endure
- Fake Out
- Reversal
- Knock Off

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Azelf @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Power-Up Punch
- Explosion

Well, seeing as this week was regenerator week, I had a relatively limited pool of mons to bring, though most of them had a decent amount of viability. My first thoughts were toward a stall team with Alomomola and Amoongus, because I used that during the last RU suspect very well, getting close to the top of the ladder for a tier I had never played beforehand. However, I also remembered how insanely bored I was during all of those games, so I said f it.

So this led me to my first choice:

The first thing you might notice about Tangrowth is that it has Vine Whip, which was obviously a huge mistake. Nothing I can do about that though. I liked Tangrowth because it functions as an offensive and defensive pivot, with HP investment it can take hits from almost any physical attacker and non SE special attackers without getting OHKO'd. It can leech seed and switch out to regenerate, obviously. Both of these are pretty great. I liked Swords Dance because I wanted to catch folks off guard, and potentially boost up to tear down a wall later on. I am not really a player that tries to make the biggest min/max plays all the time (as evidence in my battle submitted), but instead like to figure out the psychology of my opponent to make predictions that can give me momentum, even if they are big risk/moderate reward. For that reason, I put rock slide on Tangrowth to catch incoming Crobats, unfortunately I never got to show any of this in the game lol.

Aggron I thought was a good choice because a lot of regenerator mons don't have immediate threatening ability, which means something can boost up on them. Aggron can phaze and also carried rocks which I wanted a lot due to the nature in which I planned to play. He could bring them up a bunch of times in a match as well.

With a wish passer, in addition to regenerator, I could make sure that my Slowking/Tangrowth core was never really in danger. To me, this meant that I was able to boost up for a mid-game sweep, and if I fucked it up I would come back to life for a late game one as well. Provided utlity against dragons, specifically Mence, which I feared a lot if it DD'd on something and started looking for Moxie boosts. Finally, with a CM King on my team, I needed a way to get rid of statuses in case I wanted to boost up to sweep.

I liked a physical Azelf's surprise factor a lot. Explosion meant I had a little get out of jail free card, and used it on a Suicune that had potential to take me down. I really didn't want to face Krook too much as it had the ability to maim my team, sure Aroma, Growth and Mienshao beat it, but I really didn't want to lose my leftovers on the first and didn't want to deal with intimidate shuffling on the other two, so I thought a cool idea would be PUP which lets me ensure a kill with explosion by PUPing on the switch in, again while eating Colbur and then Exploding if need be. Alternatively, if Krook isn't there, I thought I could PUP on a switchin expecting special attacker, PUP again if I could live a hit and then go to town with Zens. Alas, didn't get to show this either.

Slowking I don't have a lot to write about, just an excellent win con that sets up on a bunch in the tier and wins 1v1, works really well with Aroma's heal bell and wish support and slack off meaning it is hard to kill unless I specifically want to sack it. Fully specially defensive so I knew I had a safe switchin to frankly any special attack.

This was meant to be a late game cleaner, but I couldn't get rid of Aromatisse or Krook in time to do so. Endure/Salac means you can get a scarf boost on one switch without worrying about rocks and you don't have to worry about ghosts like Chandy. I had this vague notion of using this early on, using the Salac boost to knock out something like a Chandy and get a big Reversal hit on, and then utilizing regenerator on appropriate switches to get him moderately healthy again but that wasn't a super great idea. If I had to remake this team I would probably give him whatever that third ability is, I think the one where you can't get taunted. But endure/salac/reversal is an awesome idea IMO, which eases one of the hardest parts of Shao attacking, the dreaded Chandy switchin.

IRON CHEF REPLAY: WON against Iron Chef YABO: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-224863307

ROUND 2: Kamikaze (all teams must have at least two self-KO moves)

WINNER: vexyyyy
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Memento
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Diglett @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Memento

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Cloyster @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Explosion
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast

Darmanitan @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Earthquake

Porygon-Z @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse

MY Iron Chef team :]

Iron Chef replays:

ROUND 3: It's a Trap! (At least two pokemon must have the ability to trap.)

WINNER: LilOuOn
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Whirlpool
- Curse
- Body Slam

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Mean Look
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Curse

Salamence @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Refresh
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Rest
- Scald
- Sleep Talk

Cobalion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

This team started with the idea of using Curse+MeanLook Dusclops, which looked cool, sponging every hit you can throw at it while slowly eating the opposing team's soul. Since I needed another trapper and something that could come in on Ghosts, Snorlax was the next choice. Nice and unexpected Whirlpool. This fatty has travelled all the way from Pokemon Silver to help me with this team, trapping walls and setting up on them. But so far I had to leave aside Sleep Talk on both of my initial mons to fulfill this week's theme, so, since I was pretty weak to Dark and Dragon type moves, Florges came to mind to be the so needed cleric, and what's a better way of doing this job than running both Aromatherapy and Heal Bell? (kill me please, I always mess up these Iron Chef teams :[ ) Since then, the team obviously took a stallish route, so defensive Mega Toise was added to take on Entei and spin away legos while Bulky Ddance Mence + SD Cobalion were the glue mons and win conditions to not just sit there all day taking hits until the Armaggedon or Victini's suspect (I think the first one will be sooner)

Iron Chef Replays:

ROUND 4: Sun is Shining (teams must use the move Sunny Day)

WINNER: LilOuOn

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Jump Kick
- Horn Leech
- Double-Edge

Uxie @ Heat Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Memento
- Sunny Day
- Stealth Rock

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 164 SpD / 28 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Growth
- Power Whip
- Sludge Bomb
- Weather Ball

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse

Whimsicott @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Sunny Day
- Memento
- Encore

I actually wanted to use Solar Power Charmeleon, but that sucks, so I decided to go with another almost never used mon on sun: Sawsbuck. I mean, that thing is amazing and differs from most Chlorophyll users on the fact that it actually beats Snorlax, which is one of the main things used to counter sun. After it I had to choose a sun setter, so Uxie was added because of its bulk, which let it setup sun more than once and because of the slow U-turn, allowing me to get a sun sweeper safely without sacking the setter. After that, Mixed Victreebel was added because it's hella cool and destroys Snorlax too, as well as special walls like Blissey and such. Then, the idea of using Rain too came to mind, as it benefits from the kills that sun sweepers get and vice-versa, so Kingdra was added as a late game sweeper because all of its counters/checks get obliterated by the combination of Sawsbuck + Mixed Victreebel. At this point, the team looked weak to things like Chandelure and Entei, as the sun buffed their powers and I had 0 things for banded Extreme Speed, so, after lurking for a while on the forums, I saw that neat bulky Taunt/Roost/Toxic/Quake Mega Aero set that omfuga posted and completely fall in love with it. It was all I needed, it served as an switchin to Entei, walled Chandelure, walled Mega Pidgeot and beat most priority mons. Perfect fit. Nevertheless, the squad was still weak to dragon attacks and I felt like I needed another sun setter just in case, so I went for the nice and clutch Whimsicott for emergency cases.

Thanks lord for the first team I don't mess up when teambuilding.

IRON CHEF BATTLES:

ROUND 5: Speed Control (all teams must have at least two moves that manipulate speed)

WINNER: Euphonos
Baou (Machamp) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam

Elma (Whimsicott) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 240 HP / 200 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Grarl (Aggron) (M) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Eatos (Salamence) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 40 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Defog
- Dragon Tail

Ceal (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Dreadscythe (Regigigas) @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Power-Up Punch
- Knock Off
- Return

Spreading paralysis is one of my most favorite plays since I started BW UU, and this round's Iron Chef challenge brought anew some of the tricks I wanted to use. First of all, this team is revolved on Regigigas (whose set I stole from Lucipurrr), in which my intention here is to use Substitute on a paralyzed victim until it is fully paralyzed or switched out, then use Power-Up Punch to raise its attack to astronomical levels once it eventually gets its act together. The key paralyzers of the team are Whimsicott and Mega Aggron, through the use of Stun Spore and Thunder Wave, respectively. Although they're standard at best, they're the best bets in taking down most of the biggest threats in the UU metagame.

What glues the key paralyzers together is the addition of Salamence; it is one of the underrated Wish passers, but it will never disappoint once it sets up (although the lack of Heal Bell in this team is very debilitating, as this is a really balanced team). Finally, there's Machamp to give a bonus of confusing opposing Pokemon, whether paralyzed or not, and there's the former MVP of the team, Choice Specs Rotom-Heat, which adds more firepower to the team (and the small chance of paralyzing through Thunderbolt is a good bonus, though).

Minor edit: from LilOuOn's battle onward - I nicknamed my team after the Guardians used by Rafael in Yu-Gi-Oh's Waking the Dragons arc.

ROUND 6: Every Day I'm Shufflin' (all teams must have at least two moves that force switches)

WINNER: Decision Makers

Poison Rituals (Qwilfish) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall

To Kill A Hooker (Krookodile) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Neighborhood Sniper (Heliolisk) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice

Brainworms (Granbull) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Roar
- Play Rough
- Heal Bell
- Fire Blast

Sacred Terror (Salamence) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Wish
- Flamethrower

Lethal Brain (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Defog

In order to phaze effectively I needed to use entry hazards as such I add Qwilfish here who other than setting up spikes it has intimidate which is also good in order to force switches.
Considering that I already had an intimidate user I decided to add another: krookodile, who also gives me insurance against 'mons such as Cresselia, Slowking and Reuniclus.
At thi spoint I decide to add Heliolisk who is an excellent choice in order to gain momentum, and also quite good at breaking balanced or hyper offense teams, dragon tail is useful due to the phazing effect and also against Suicune.
Granbull takes Florge's place here, though Florges is technically better Granbull has intimidate and I wanted to keep the original idea when I started building the team, it is still able to check stuff such as Hydreigon.
Adding Granbull I did a triple intimidate core, so I decided to finish things by adding a fourth Intimidate user, defensive protect toxic Salamence, and Defog Empoleon in order to help me against opposing hazards, wishmence was necessary since Granbull isn't Florges , Empoleon works wonders against powerful stuff such as Mega Pidgeot or Aerodactyl without Earthquake, I didn't limit myself with only phazing moves, thanks to the "quadruple intimidate" many players will be forced to switch out easeing racking up damage.

Iron Chef Replays:

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
REPLAYS

Round 1: Healing Factor

Round 2: Kamikaze
Round 3: It's a Trap!

Round 4: Sunny Day
Round 5: The Fast and the Furious
Round 6: Every Day I'm Shufflin'
Round 7: It's a Bird, it's a Plane!
Round 8: Heart of the Underdog
Round 9: Berry Festival
Round 10: Cantata

------------------------

What's this all about? Basically, it's a way to show off creative teambuilding and to test these teams against some of UU's top battlers and teambuilders. Each round I'll pick a theme to build around, and contestants will do their best to come up with an original, effective team around that theme.

Part of the goal here is to promote discussion about the theme, and teambuilding in general, as well, so feel free to talk about it!

Last edited:
I have a team that I made last week that meets all of the qualifications. May I still enter rhis team? And once I am done, do I post it in the thread?

PS Great idea hogg

Vapo

water me
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
this is actually a really cool idea
do i need to sign up or something? if so im in :^]

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
I have a team that I made last week that meets all of the qualifications. May I still enter rhis team? And once I am done, do I post it in the thread?
If you already have a team that works you're of course welcome to use it, although if the team is a known commodity you might not score all that well in Originality.

Just PM the team to me when you're done; I'll post all the teams in the thread after the battling portion is done. This way, the Iron Chef you battle won't have your team in advance.

Does Audino-Mega count as a regen mon for the purposes of fulfilling the secret ingredient requirement?
Audino-Mega is fine - as long as you've got two members of your team with Regenerator, then your team qualifies. That said, how well you use the theme is part of the scoring, so if a judge feels like your team doesn't take advantage of Regenerator in Audino's base form, you could theoretically get a lower score in Use of Theme.

this is actually a really cool idea
do i need to sign up or something? if so im in :^]
Just build a team, PM it to me before the teambuilding deadline, and challenge an Iron Chef.

Don't you mean Aron Chef?

Cool idea though, I don't know enough about UU to enter but I wish you luck on your endeavors against the mighty Aron Chefs

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
dont know if I have to say in or anything but w/e im in this looks pretty cool And an ez chance to bop YABO. (jk ily james dont slay me too hard.)

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I already have a strategy to slay any challengers this week btw. Take that as you will but be warned that I'll win ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)