Project The Age of Offense: A Teambuilding Workshop [UPDATE PENDING]

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by Reverb

NOTE: This thread is currently undergoing an overhaul so if you see any incomplete edits etc. dw about them, i'm working on it. Once i've updated everything i have so far i will remove this message. - Edit: It will take a long time for this to happen, but eventually this thread will be restarted. In the meantime, enjoy my beautiful rain team!
Hey guys, FlamingVictini here. Recently, I've been building many new teams and have been looking for ways to get suggestions and share my work with others. I thought making a teambuilding workshop where I could share my current teams and build new ones would be a good way to do this.

In this thread, I want to focus not only on sharing offense teams I've already built, but improving the one's i've posted, and taking suggestions as I make new teams. As this a teambuilding workshop, I want to focus more on quality and explaining every team thoroughly so users get a good idea behind the team's use and its making. I recommend reading the descriptions for every team to better understand how to use it. As a primarily offense player, the teams here will obviously be more offensive: Generally HO or maybe bulky offense.

A good friend of mine from Pokebattle, ABR, as well as my boii flamz will be helping me out with this project. A special thanks goes to FullLifeGames for developing this tool so i can get sprites quickly. Finally, lets get to the teams!

U-Turn MSciz Rain

This is the team i used in cycle 4 when i qualified, and i used it exclusively to get a near 5-1 win ratio and having to play only 70 ish games.
I'm sure a lot of you are wondering how on earth I could qualify with such a match-up reliant playstyle with a lot of consistency. The key here is a simple tech that I love on rain: U-Turn Sciz. The team actually started with me wanting to use rain to smash any offense, while also having some unique stallbreakers to beat "bof stall." This was originally a sdef whirlpool perish song toed, but it is not legally possible to have those two moves together (and goth is annoying af). Instead i decided I would use u-turn less torn with Cane, Spower, Knock, and Taunt to just rip through stall. Its a little awkward to not have u-turn at first, but you'll eventually not miss it especially with sciz grabbing momentum. The rest of the team is really simple, against Elec leads i generally get up rocks as they break chomp's sash, switch to toad on a hp ice, switch back to chomp on tbolt, and then switch to a swift sweeper (if they lead thund, whichever sweeper u don't mind getting para'd as much). Its a risky process, but you gain a lot from it by already having rain to abuse for 6 turns and a sack in garchomp, so you can switch toad in to set up rain and then sack chomp immediately later on in the game. Ferrothorn is extremely annoying, but in most of my games against it, i have been able to win with a last mon scizor by just weakening / removing anything that can beat it and then setting up to sweep. Other than that, its function is generally to add some synergy and utilize u-turn to bring in the swift swim sweepers to spam their strong water attacks in the rain. I've found rain to be incredibly good for quick wins vs offense and having some good way to combat a lot of other teams.
You can use Hypnosis > Toxic on Toad if you're not afraid of missing or having a slightly worse stall matchup as this helps generate free switches and to handle ferrothorn. If you're not worried about Hazards Stack then Low Kick is useable over Rapid Spin on Kabutops.
Atlantis (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 12 SpD / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hypnosis / Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

High Tide (Kingdra) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Atonement (Tornadus-Therian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Guardians (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 60 Def / 124 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Break Loose (Kabutops) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin / Low Kick

Restless (Garchomp) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

I have deleted the rest of this thread, but I have saved it elsewhere and someday I will give this thread a new life with many more new, improved, and recent teams, hopefully at a time where I can maintain this much better. In the meantime, this thread will remain inactive until further notice.

Last edited:
ABR Teams

Hey it's ABR here to give a quick description of this team. Sash Excadrill is a very solid lead that I've been using lately, as it has rocks, spin, and rock tomb to be a great lead vs just about anything, although chomp can consistently get rocks against exca. Staraptor is a mon I've been wanting to try out as it hits super hard, acts as a revenge killer, and forms a nice VoltTurn core with Manectric. Doublade serves as a check to just about any physical attacker, hits fairies, and spinblocks. Gardevoir (not mega) is another pokemon I've been wanting to use because it can beat opposing weather teams and be a really effective wall breaker in general. Lastly we have Keldeo as another wall breaker, ground hitter, and Bisharp check. HP Bug is used to hit celebi. This is a pretty fun and innovative team that has been quite successful for me so enjoy.

Excadrill (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Rapid Spin

Staraptor (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Doublade (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head

Manectric (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Gardevoir (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Trace
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Bug]

This team is one built around Volcarona, and I decided to go with the coba + hp rock set to deal with its most common counter at the time, Talonflame. The sand core of ttar + drill helps volc because ttar checks talon and pursuit traps while exca spins and beating offense. The shuca ice beam set on ttar is great for luring common checks to sand exca such as Garchomp and Lando-T. Latios was added to switch in to waters which destroyed the rest of the team and it also lures in Heatran for Volcarona and for Scizor if Heatran is faster. Scizor wears down a lot of the common walls to excadrill such as Scizor and Rotom-W, and in general is a fantastic offensive sweeper. Volcarona and Scizor lure in and beat each other's counters with hp rock and Superpower respectively. Lastly, Azelf is there to be a nice lead that can hit the magic bouncers of the tier and can dgleam something like chomp.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpD
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Steel]

Volcarona (M) @ Coba Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 64 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Scizor-Mega (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tyranitar (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Last edited:
So first off, inconsistency is killing me.

So there ya go :]

Second off, I fucking adore seeing 'mon that usually would never work in OU being used to exploit what good - albeit niche - points they have. I apologize if this sounds like I'm questioning your team choices - far from it; I honestly doubt I'll be as good a player as you any time in the near future - but I would be very curious to have further insight into why you chose Durant as a sweeper over other options, for instance.

I chose to experiment with durant just to have fun and see how it would work in ou. Only reason that I have some inconsistent gifs is that a lot of the birds were screwing up the spacing which was driving me nuts and some mega gifs weren't loading, i'll give those a shot. Thanks.

Also, how did you manage to name the hide tags something other than "Show Hide" and "Hide Hide"? I'm also having trouble copying those gifs :[, and I need a regular aero not mega.

Last edited:
I chose to experiment with durant just to have fun and see how it would work in ou. Only reason that I have some inconsistent gifs is that a lot of the birds were screwing up the spacing which was driving me nuts and some mega gifs weren't loading, i'll give those a shot. Thanks.

Also, how did you manage to name the hide tags something other than "Show Hide" and "Hide Hide"? I'm also having trouble copying those gifs :[, and I need a regular aero not mega.
As FookMi said; that's how you do the show hide thing. Glad I could help.
Also whoops my bad

So is this how you decide to use all your... shall I say unconventional choices? All just on a whim; or are some chosen because of their specific place on a team rather than something fun to build around?

I generally just start with a mon / core I want to use or I think can do well in the meta with the proper support and build around it. Thanks for the technical help :]

One thing I really like that could work on your first team is trickscarf Latias over latios, w/ healing wish over psyshock. Other than that it's the same set. Anyways, it's a nice emergency, uh, redo button? Not sure how else to describe it. Healing wish is a great move that creates momentum as well as giving another sweeper a second chance. And it works well w/ choice scarf

That could be interesting, although without a life orb the damage output of latios is probably preferred over the extra bulk. I also don't want to be mono-attacking, so I would drop defog for HWish if I ran latias > latios since you can still support talon if its needed.

I updated the thread with new gifs and will be posting a new team or more soon, as well as whatever ABR sends me.
If anyone has a solution to the uneven spacing due to the talonflame and aero gifs, let me know.

Also I noticed a lot of your squads r the same or similar in team design
To expand on this, I've noticed that most of your offense is the same. You generally have a variant of hazard stack, 1-2 setup sweepers, a wallbreaker, and then the rest is generally either speed control or just more wallbreakers. This is not to say that this is a bad offense design by any means, I'm rather pointing out you generally use either scolipede or klefki for spikes and azelf for stealth rocks

Last edited:
Can you avoid double posting please, and can you expand on how some of my teams are similar in design so I have better insight into my teambuilding?

Ye not all of the teams were built at the same time and there was a period where I used scolipede quite a bit, I just like it for its versatality and speed boost ofc. Unfortunately there aren't too many good options if I want spikes support other than skarmory (which I usually dislike), scolipede, or klefki.

Added a build that was requested, would love it if you guys rolled in more suggestions! Hopefully ABR will give me some teams to post as well :]

Build around mega chomp

Cool teams btw =]
Thanks, and I have been thinking of building mega chomper, I actually have a lone chomp sitting in my teambuilder rn.

Mega chomp should appreciate the excessive scolipede
o_o I think i'm going to build two mega chomper teams now, was originally planning something a little different from my usual but i might try a scolipass chomp team

0_0 im surprised theres no mega metagross teams.. should be a team around it :].
Yeah I don't really use metagross that much and I personally believe PO got it right when they banned meta and lando-i (unfortunately their trash ladder doesn't have many good players and is full of aids stall that puts me into a teambuilding block where I can't build or use any of my teams well). I can definitely try building around it tho.

Sebberball

formerly BoXeD
You should build around mega-latios, it has power for sweeping. And it is underrated... It's in its friends shadow *cough*latias-m*cough* so it would be fun!

leremyju

Banned deucer.
PB squad.
Cool teams, I've always been in interested in a DD Latios, mega or not. What are your thoughts on its viability. A set like DD, EQ, dragon claw and zen headbutt

Nice teams man, it's great to see some competent creativity. Thank you for sharing with us all.

Quick question; have you ever stepped outside your comfort zone and made a more defensive team? Since you have so much experience with offense, I reckon you have the knowledge to make a bulky offense/semi-stall/balanced team that'd be well prepared for it. Just a thought.

Love the M-Aero use as well, I think you could possibly build something around M-Aero, Gengar and a stallbreaker for a core that shreds all three main play styles.

Nice teams man, it's great to see some competent creativity. Thank you for sharing with us all.

Quick question; have you ever stepped outside your comfort zone and made a more defensive team? Since you have so much experience with offense, I reckon you have the knowledge to make a bulky offense/semi-stall/balanced team that'd be well prepared for it. Just a thought.

Love the M-Aero use as well, I think you could possibly build something around M-Aero, Gengar and a stallbreaker for a core that shreds all three main play styles.
I don't actually have an M-Aero team here rn, but I can certianly build one. I'm probably gonna try a more balanced build with mega chomp soon, and I do build balance but primarily offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)