Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: August 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Why does everyone hate on Typhlosion? I mean it is outclassed by other fire types in RU like Mega Camerupt and Emboar, but doesn't its Choice Scarf or Choice Specs Eruption spam sets give it any merit. Plus it has an immunity to fire moves with Flash Fire.

Klefki up to OU, is it a consequence to the release of Hoopa-Unbound ?
I wouldn't say Hoopa is completely responsible for Klefki's increasing usage as Klefki is a poor Hoopa check (like most things) and it was already increasing in popularity before Hoopa came, but Hoopa's influence doesn't hurt it either as offense has gotten more popular with Hoopa around and Klefki loves playing against offense. Imo Klefki had it coming as it is one of the best support mons you can use on offense.

Why does everyone hate on Typhlosion? I mean it is outclassed by other fire types in RU like Mega Camerupt and Emboar, but doesn't its Choice Scarf or Choice Specs Eruption spam sets give it any merit. Plus it has an immunity to fire moves with Flash Fire.
I'm going to give a detailed answer to this, even though the right thread would be the Simple Questions one in the RU subforum.

While Eruption may seem appealing, the reality is that this move loses its power fast because of Typhlosion's tendency to lose HP quickly because of direct and indirect damage, most notably Stealth Rocks(but any entry hazard really) and priority moves. Now, it wouldn't be that bad if Typhlosion had something else to offer over other RU Fire types besides Eruption, or some versatility under its sleeve, but the cold reality is that it doesn't. Its movepool is as dire as the top of a volcano, lacking any kind of viable set-up or utility move and having only Focus Blast and Hidden Power as meaningful coverage moves. On the other hand, Delphox has superior stats, Psychic STAB and a deeper movepool, including Grass Knot, Calm Mind and Trick, while Houndoom has neat tricks like Pursuit, Sucker Punch and Nasty Plot, obviously with Dark STAB. They even have the same abilities.

Tl;dr: Typhlosion doesn't have anything to offer over other Fire types, stop using it for Christ's sake.

>Aurorus moved from PU to NU

my boy moving up in the ranks
Next stop: OU! :P But really, Aurorus is getting better in NU.

I'm going to give a detailed answer to this, even though the right thread would be the Simple Questions one in the RU subforum.

While Eruption may seem appealing, the reality is that this move loses its power fast because of Typhlosion's tendency to lose HP quickly because of direct and indirect damage, most notably Stealth Rocks(but any entry hazard really) and priority moves. Now, it wouldn't be that bad if Typhlosion had something else to offer over other RU Fire types besides Eruption, or some versatility under its sleeve, but the cold reality is that it doesn't. Its movepool is as dire as the top of a volcano, lacking any kind of viable set-up or utility move and having only Focus Blast and Hidden Power as meaningful coverage moves. On the other hand, Delphox has superior stats, Psychic STAB and a deeper movepool, including Grass Knot, Calm Mind and Trick, while Houndoom has neat tricks like Pursuit, Sucker Punch and Nasty Plot, obviously with Dark STAB. They even have the same abilities.

Tl;dr: Typhlosion doesn't have anything to offer over other Fire types, stop using it for Christ's sake.
People probably use it because they want to, not because they need to since Typhlosion cannot be used in NU. I agree though, Delphox and Houndoom are so much better and it's just not good in RU.

Last edited:
People probably use it because they want to, not because they need to since Typhlosion is cannot be used in NU. I agree though, Delphox and Houndoom are so much better and is just not good in RU.
I know, but the fact that non-competitive players have an influence on the ladder so big that a complete garbagemon rises through usages is really worrying to say the least.

Illusio

Bold and Brash
Antar If I'm correct, wouldn't regular Hoopa move to UU due to lack of usage? Hoopa has been used 0.187% of the time in OU, which is clearly enough to drop it. I don't recall any precedent where a Pokemon added mid-way through a tier shift didn't lower (Diancie lowered to UU when it was introduced), so what's the special case with Hoopa?

Illusio, Diancie IIRC had at least a full month of usage. If not, then allowing it to drop to UU was an oversight. Hoopa will be eligible for a quick-drop in September.

Hitmonchan is NU.

YES. It barely missed the 3.41 cutoff (in the May tier shift), and it was so bad in RU (imo, even though it missed the cutoff it shloud have moved down) but I don't care. Wow that's good.

Ambipom is still RU? Are you fucking kidding me? For fuck's sake RU stop using this piece of shit.
It's not that. The deal is that Ambipom is one of the first pokemon players see when they check out the teambuilding section, hence why newer players tend to pick Ambipom. To be fair, the only merit I could give to Ambipom is threating Hyper Offense. Other than that, it's quite subpar. Also you can't blame a tier, moreso their players...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)