1v1 Resources Thread

Fake Melo

Banned deucer.
Jirachi

General Info: Jirachi is a very luck based Pokemon, he relies on his very high chance to flinch and paralyze the opposing Pokemon. Due to this, there are times when matches he should have easily won could go down the drain due to very bad luck.

Move Options: Jirachi has access to a few potent moves to increase his chances to stop the opposing Pokemon from moving, and some coverage options. A few notable moves Jirachi uses are: Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, Thunder Wave, Magic Coat, Substitute, and Fire Punch.

Item options: Jirachi has only 3 items I could really consider viable. These would be King's Rock, Occa Berry, and Rindo Berry.

Ability Options: Jirachi's only ability is Serene Grace.

My set

lellers (Jirachi) @ Occa Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Magic Coat

Move Details: Iron Head will be a must have with every set, this is his primary STAB with the highest flinch chance. Thunder Wave would be next in line, adding that 30 percent chance for the Pokemon not to move, if they get past the flinch. Magic Coat is a great option to avoid status inflicts, and Whimsicott seeds. Zen Headbutt would be his second flinching move, typically used in situations where Iron Head isn't acceptable. Zen Headbutt has a few notable flaws compared to Iron Head, things like a 10 percent chance to miss, and 10 percent less chance to flinch the opposing Pokemon. Substitute can be used in replace of Magic Coat if you play a fast variant of Jirachi, allowing you to predict status much safer, and gain momentum. Fire punch is a coverage option to handle things like Genesect, Scizor, and some random Ferrothorn's that I've been seeing more of lately.

Item Details: Personally, I feel like the Occa Berry is one of his best options, allowing him a far greater chance to win against Charizard-X | Y, and a slim chance to win against Victini. King's Rock is another great option, adding that 10 percent chance for Jirachi to land a flinch. Rindo Berry would be Jirachi's weakest option in my opinion, the only thing notable it helps against is Custap Rhypeior.

Ability Details: Serene Grace being his only ability he doesn't have options to anything else, though I couldn't see a more fitting ability for Jirachi's playstyle.

Threats
Type Resist: Pokemon that Jirachi can't hit for at least neutral damage are a huge threat to Jirachi. When Jirachi is able to set up Thunder Wave and start fishing for flinches, if the process of him kills the opposing Pokemon is slowed down, this reduces his chances of winning the match up.

Magic Bounce: Magic Bounce users disallows Jirachi from setting up his Thunder Wave. This is a huge disadvantage reducing Jirachi's chance to stop the opposing Pokemon from moving.

Custap Berry: The Custap Berry allows opposing Pokemon to bypass Jirachi's flinch and go for a kill move. This is especially dangerous on ground types that cannot be paralyzed by Jirachi.

Inner Focus: Though Inner Focus users are a rare sight in 1v1, if Jirachi was to run into them they completely bypass his flinch.

Mega-Mawile: Mega Mawile's access to Sucker Punch makes it so Jirachi can't land flinches. Jirachi winning would rely on him gaining an insane amount of full paralyses.

Victini: Victini resisting both Zen Headbutt, and Iron Head makes Jirachi's job of killing him very difficult.

Salamence-Mega: Though Zen Headbutt hits Salamence for neutral damage, the decreased chance to hit, and the bulk Jirachi needs to get over to kill Salamence makes it very hard for Jirachi to pull off.

Genesect: Genesect being another type resist, while also having access to flamethrower makes Genesect insanely hard to beat without fire punch.

Charizard-X | Y: If playing any other set than Occa Berry, Charizard-X & Charizard-Y can both OHKO Jirachi at ease. Even with Occa, you need to rely on every hit paralyzing Charizard.

Ferrothorn: The sheer amount of hits without Fire Punch it takes to KO Ferrothorn is insane, Its very fair to say that without Fire Punch, 9 times out of 10 Ferro will win.

Scizor: Another Pokemon that win against Jirachi without Fire Punch, Jirachi simply cannot KO this thing with a fair amount of hits, this gives Scizor lots of room to knock Jirachi out.

There are obviously many Pokemon that Jirachi loses against, these are just many common threats that Jirachi will run into.

Teammate Options
Depending on the set decides which teammates will work well with Jirachi. If you using a Jirachi without Fire Punch, you will need something to handle his Steel-type threats. If you are using a set without an Occa Berry, you will need a partner that can tank fire hits at ease. If you aren't using Magic Coat, you will need a supportive Pokemon, or one that can handle Spore and stall threats.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
Balanced stats, allowing the team builder to mold Jirachi's stats in any way they see fit.
High chances to flinch, paired with his ability and access to Thunder Wave.
Average Attack & Speed stat.
Access to support & coverage moves.

Cons:
Bad typing compared to high tier 1v1 Pokemon.
Relies on luck, even in match ups he is good against.
Set can completlely decide if Jirachi wins or loses the match up, making him even more reliant on luck.

Final Thoughts & Ranking
Though Jirachi can be very powerful, and almost unstoppable if an opponent is unprepared or unknowing of his power. Jirachi still has a great deal of notable flaws, Jirachi loses to the majority of the S tier, and a fair amount of the A tier. Jirachi is very luck based, and can lose matches he would normally win due to very bad luck. Jirachi isn't a very reliable Pokemon, and wouldn't be something used in high ladder or tournament games. I feel like Jirachi is very fairly placed being in the B tier, anything above that would be far too over ranked for Jirachi.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/1v1-viability-ranking.3536109/page-4#post-6212733 here's the link to the previous Terrakion analysis.

(Yes, I did recolor this sprite.)
My opinion is to upgrade this to at least a B in the viability rankings.
Moves: Stone Edge, Earthquake, Close Combat, Substitute, Iron Head, Poison Jab, Sacred Sword, Swords Dance, Zen Headbutt, X-Scissor, Taunt, Rock Slide, Bulldoze, Protect.
Items: Life Orb, Choice Band, Choice Scarf, Rock Helmet, Payapa Berry, Roseli Berry, Shuca Berry, Chople Berry, Babiri Berry, Expert Belt.
Abilities: Well, it's only ability is Justified.

Teriyaki (Terrakion) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Substitute

This is an example of a Terrakion set that is used in 1v1. Each of its moves has a good purpose of their usage.​
  • Stone Edge is a STAB move + it hits some of the biggest threats like Charizard Mega-X, Charizard Mega-Y, Kyurem-Black, and Gyarados hard as a result of rock being super effective to all of these Pokemon. It also has a good amount of power.
  • Close Combat is a better STAB move as it OHKOs or at least can KO a lot of Pokemon in the metagame including some of the biggest threats as well like Meloetta, Chansey, Kyurem-Black, and Gyarados-Mega.
  • Earthquake is a high powered move that is for opponents who are weak to ground, or resistant against rock or flying. This move can also hit hard on tons of Pokemon.
  • Substitute to have a chance of winning against Pokemon who use status or sometimes even endeavor to win.
The EVs the Terrakion uses are basically the suggested spread for this Terrakion set. The Life Orb is for making those deadly moves Terrakion has even deadlier.

Terrakion overall is a Pokemon that beats many 1v1 threats easily. Although Terrakion is very good in offense, it has 7 weaknesses and usually not enough bulk to handle those weaknesses.
Move Information
Terrakion's moves are mainly based on physical offense and set up. Moves like Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Close Combat are able to KO many Pokemon if not OHKO at times. Terrakion's set up moves like Substitute and Swords Dance are to support those physical attack moves as Swords Dance raises attack and Substitute makes Terrakion have protection against status moves.

Ability
Terrikion's only ability is Justified as it only raises Terrakion's attack by one stage when it gets hit by a Dark-type move. This ability is mostly useless since many people won't bother to hit it with a Dark-type move, but if your Terrakion does get hit by a Dark-type move, you're lucky as you have an easier chance of winning the match if it's not 100%.
Here is an example of Justified being activated in battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-260129218

Stat Information
Terrakion's stat spread is fairly decent for this metagame reaching 91/129/90/72/90/108. Terrakion's main stats required for Terrakion to succeed in the metagame are its attack and speed.

Checks and Counters

Mawile-Mega: Two of Mawile-Mega's main attacks in 1v1 are Iron Head and Play Rough. These two moves have a very high chance of OHKOing Terrakion as Mawile-Mega is also bulky enough to survive Terrakion's Earthquake at times.

Medicham-Mega and Lopunny-Mega: Medicham-Mega and Lopunny-Mega carry High Jump Kick which is easily able to OHKO Terrakion. Terrakion doesn't have enough attack to break through Medicham-Mega's defense and OHKO Medicham-Mega but it does against Lopunny-Mega. Lopunny-Mega is usually faster though so it has an easier chance of OHKOing. If you are having problems facing Medicham-Mega and/or Lopunny-Mega with Terrakion, give Terrakion protect. This should work until your opponent notices that you have protect and starts predicting when you would use it. Medicham-Mega's Pure Power ability and Lopunny-Mega's high attack also allows them to break substitutes that Terrakion makes. This causes Terrakion to be unable to do much if anything against the two.

Sturdy Pokemon: There are 3 main types of Sturdy Pokemon used in this metagame. There are the F.E.A.R. Sturdy Pokemon that are usually use endeavor and are very low leveled, there are counter Sturdy Pokemon that use moves like Counter and Metal Burst against Pokemon that do a lot of damage against it, and then there are the gimmicky sturdy Pokemon who carry weakness policy and custap berry and try to KO you after you do a lot of damage to them. In Terrakion's case, all 3 of these types may be a problem since Terrakion does a lot of damage naturally to the usual Sturdy carriers as they still survive and they take advantage of that survival by gaining stat boosts, priority, or using regeneration, status moves, and endeavor to take down Terrakion. The simple solution to most of these problems is using Substitute. Even though Substitute is an option, a lot of Sturdy Pokemon would tend to carry other things to try to take down that Substitute. Hax is the best option to beat these Sturdy Pokemon with Terrakion.

Alakazam-Mega: Alakazam-Mega is usually faster than Terrakion and OHKOs Terrakion with Psychic-type moves. Terrakion is able to OHKO Alakazam-Mega if it carries choice scarf and hits Stone Edge but be aware that Stone Edge has 80% accuracy.

Salamence-Mega: Salamence-Mega is also usually faster than Terrakion and is able to easily OHKO Terrakion with Giga Impact. Terrakion itself isn't really able to beat Salamence-Mega unless Salamence-Mega gets haxed or unless you oddly have higher speed than Salamence-Mega have Hidden Power [Ice] with max SpA EVs and Choice Specs.

Greninja: Greninja is another Pokemon that can outspeed Terrakion and OHKO with super effective moves. Greninja would basically be impossible to beat with Terrakion unless hax from a miss or Gredinja is not a high speed nature but Terrakion is and has max speed EVs.
progress is still being made.

Venusaur-Mega: Venusaur-Mega isn't faster than Terrakion usually unlike the 3 threats for Terrakion above but Venusaur is bulky. With its bulk, it can easily tank any of Terrakion's usual moves and KO with about 1-2 Giga Drains.
Other Options
Terrakion is able to taunt opponents letting you have the availability of setting up. Also, you can use bulldoze to slow down your opponents during time to also take advantage. You can also run Terrakion specially even though many Pokemon would play its role better at that point.

Good Teammates
Examples of good teammates for Terrakion are Mawile-Mega and Salamence-Mega. As a group, they would make opponents have a hard time on predicting and knowing what to choose. This is because the the individuals can take down different Pokemon that the other 2 can't KO along with many of the same Pokemon they can KO easily as all 3 have really high attack.

Advantages & Disadvantages

Advantages:
High Attack and Speed.
Good enough movepool to take down some of the biggest 1v1 threats a long with small ones as well.
Able to make opponents hesitate on their predictions on who the user would use.

Disadvantages:
Even though the main moves in the movepool are good, there are not a lot of good moves Terrakion could use in its movepool.
7 weaknesses.
No enough bulk to defend itself much against the 7 weaknesses it has.
Often mistaken for as teriyaki.

Viability ranking
In my opinion, I would put this on B rank rather than C. It has more viability than a lot of the Pokemon that are on the C rank list already as its few moves can tear teams down, but it's not good enough to be in the top ranks of A and S.

Last edited:

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • Updated the OP to reflect the drops that happened to Perish song users.
  • Need analyses for Pokemon that still doesn't have it.

Discussing:

Terrakion: C>B
Cresselia: Unranked>B/A
Manaphy: C>B/A
Archeops: C>B

Illusio

Bold and Brash
Mega Heracross for B rank

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed/Swords Dance

Mega Heracross is a Pokemon with a good typing, an amazing attack stat of 185, and a good ability in Skill Link, which helps it beat Sturdy Pokemon. With passable coverage in Rock Blast and Bullet Seed, Heracross is able to beat a sizable portion of the meta with its high attack and strong moves. However, the one thing preventing Mega Heracross from being really good in this meta is its speed stat. While in OU, Heracross's starting 85 speed is decent, it is pretty bad in 1v1, and its OK bulk doesn't support it either. Overall, Mega Heracross is a risk-and-reward kind of Pokemon. If it can outspeed, it can wreck havoc, but if it can't, it will be dead weight.

Mega Aggron, Uninvested speed Charizards (both X and Y), Chansey, Cloyster, Crustle, Deoxys-Defense, Dragonite, FEAR, Golem, Mega Gyarados, Heatran, Hoopa-Unbound, Uninvested speed Kyurem-Black, Magnezone, Uninvested Meloetta, Porygon2, Rhyperior, Mega Slowbro, Swampert, Terrakion

Aegislash, Mega Altaria, Archeops, Charizard (X and Y) invested in speed, Mega Gardevoir, Greninja, Jirachi, Kyurem-Black invested in speed, Mega Lopunny, Mega Mawile, Meloetta invested in speed, Porygon-Z, Mega Sableye, Mega Salamence, Sylveon, Talonflame, Togekiss, Victini

Last edited:

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
Agreeing with most of these. Might I ask why Swampert-Mega is below Swampert? Is it because of Rindo Berry?

Also, don't forget to add Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar :(
I'm testing Counter mega ttar now, it bulks an ass vest superpower from Azu and ohkoes with counter.

Also I made a manaphy set with BattleDragon a while back which is broken af and works really well in the meta, I won't psot it here cause he made the evs and they're secret, Unless he says I can :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Fake Melo

Banned deucer.
Terrakion C to B: Terrakion has a very high attack stat, paired with his high speed stat, and average bulk to take a hit he can be a real threat. His movepool is great, having access to coverage that handles the meta very well, and support moves like Sub, Taunt, Protect. Not much I can bring to the table that Ransei hasn't already, but having access to these moves allows him to scout, predict into a sub, and win. Other than that, he can run a full on attacking set, and cover a majority of the meta. Support

Cresselia Unranked to B: I've given my thoughts on this here:
I can agree with this, but I do feel as though its current set isn't really A rank material. You see, 1v1 isn't all about OHKO and setup, we have stall sets that are very potent as well. Things like Chansey & Whimsicott are very good examples of Pokemon that can stall this thing to death. Also with your current spread things like Specs Greninja & Specs Kyurem-B can knock this thing out at ease. It is also pretty weak after a taunt. I believe the set could be changed a bit, with a fair spread covering both physical & special attacks well I can see this thing stalling its way up to the A ranks. It has also received a great deal of viability with Perish Song now being ban. As this isn't my analysis, I'm not going to try and get a dedicated EV spread to cover most ground, but for moves I think the move set as follows would be satisfying: Substitute / Magic Bounce / Moonlight / MoonBlast
Support Cresselia to at least B Rank, possibly A
Manaphy C to B: I've been testing around with manaphy, and if you have your EVs set right, you can so some damage. The fact that it has access to at least 3 sets that I know of, all being viable and able to cover different Pokemon in the meta already suggest he should be placed higher. His EV spread offers the team builder much room to mold its set to their liking, able to throw the opponent off and leave them guessing. Support

Archeops C to B: Archeops has amazing attack, paired with an above average speed he can OHKO very easily. With his great speed paired with a choice item, he can be a deadly Trick Choice mon. Downsides to Archeops would be his poor defenses, and less than preferable typing allowing him to be killed easily if he doesn't OHKO, or trick choice properly. Even with this minor set back of his, he is still a scary mon to see in the team preview. Support

To avoid double posting, I'd like to reserve Mega-Lopunny while I do some test.

Physical Tyranitar

formerly Marquis of Blaze
Sableye From C-Rank To B-Rank
We all know it's use, which is to use it's ability Prankster to cripple physical attackers and get priority recovery. This means that it can stop threats such as Black Kyurem, Mega Salamence, Mega Mawile, and others, but it can be obliterated by others like Mega Charizard Y. That being said, it isn't that bad. If it comes into a Physical attacker, it is generally an auto-win, from my experience on the 1v1 Ladder, it completely ruins most Physical Attackers with the exception of Mega Mawile, who can probably still OHKO it regardless. While it does die to many special attacks, it also can halt and outstall many Physical Attackers with Will'O'Wisp + Recover. While it is far from perfect, overall it is a decent Pokemon that can check many Physical Threats.

Sableye From C-Rank To B-Rank
We all know it's use, which is to use it's ability Prankster to cripple physical attackers and get priority recovery. This means that it can stop threats such as Black Kyurem, Mega Salamence, Mega Mawile, and others, but it can be obliterated by others like Mega Charizard Y. That being said, it isn't that bad. If it comes into a Physical attacker, it is generally an auto-win, from my experience on the 1v1 Ladder, it completely ruins most Physical Attackers with the exception of Mega Mawile, who can probably still OHKO it regardless. While it does die to many special attacks, it also can halt and outstall many Physical Attackers with Will'O'Wisp + Recover. While it is far from perfect, overall it is a decent Pokemon that can check many Physical Threats.
The biggest problem with sableye is that it's almost completely eclipsed by Mega Sableye, which can do almost everything regular can do (you don't HAVE to mega evolve) but is also immune to trick and can choose to have more bulk and magic bounce if the circumstances call for it.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Deoxys-D to remain A rank

PP Stall set:
Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD
Calm or Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Amnesia
- Taunt
- Recover

This set aims to use Pressure alongside high defenses in order to make the opponent struggle, with Iron Defense and Amnesia allowing it to boost to the point that the opposing pokemon can't harm it outside of a crit, Recover healing off damage and Taunt both stopping opposing setup and allowing it to beat many stall mons such as Chansey.
The given EVs with a Calm nature allow it to beat Fire Blast Zard Y, while also letting it beat Zard X the majority of the time (possibly 100% of the time after leftovers), and also beat Scarf Kyu-B. The EVs with a Bold nature allow it to live a Zard Y Blast Burn while also beating a large number of physical attackers. More investment can be put into Physical Defense to beat more threats (the current set only beats BandNite and Crunch Mega Gyara about 50% of the time, for example) however it should be noted that Banded Kyu-B will always beat this mon however much investment is used.

CounterCoat set:
Deoxys-Defense @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Taunt
- Protect / Recover

This set's aim is rather obvious: live a hit, then KO back with Counter or Mirror Coat. It has competition from Aggron and Wobbuffet, however its ability to run other sets (making this less predictable), alongside good bulk and access to relatively fast Taunt make it a strong choice in terms of CounterCoat users. The first spread allows this mon to beat Zard Y, the second spread allows it to tank a +1 mega gyara crunch.
There are a number of options regarding item and last move: Recover allows this mon to beat Chansey and some other stall mons, protect is useful for scouting the opponent's move, while things like resistance berries have their uses. Holding a mega stone can allow this pokemon to easily beat trick + choice mons.

Overall, this mon is a big threat, and with two very different sets that have different counters it can be hard to play around. Because of this, I'd nominate A rank as a good choice for it.
Counters: Sableye (and other faster taunts), Smeargle that outspeed, some mew sets, Whimsicott, FEAR. Different sets have different counters, such as physical Aegislash beating the CounterCoat set while the pp stall set loses to Banded Kyu-B.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK
ayy I'd like to go and put Riolu up there for C rank! (with those Aron) Yes, Riolu. Since many of you might be having a hard time getting your mind around this, let me show you the set:

Riolu @ Custap Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Substitute
- Rest/Endure/Swords Dance/Magnet Rise
- Dig
- Copycat

The idea of this set is to keep on using Substitute/Endure untill you're 25% HP and lower, then use Custap Berry Dig to avoid whatever attack they throw at us. The next turn, we don't have Custap Berry priority anymore, so if we're slower, we go second, and the opponent manages to hit empty air again. Next comes in a key part of this set, Copycat. Copycat allows you to copy the last move used, but with Prankster, it becomes much more useful. Priorities are determined at the beginning of the turn, and since Riolu used Copycat, a status move, and has prankster, the dig you just copied has priority on the first turn just like the Custap Berry! Since the second turn is just plain Dig again, the process continues :)
Still don't get the set? Here's a simple replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-260977417

Dig. If you can somehow manage to Dig underground before the opponent attacks, and let them attack before you damage them, you can render the opponent almost completely useless! But wait, can't we just protect or endure and make the whole set useless? Nope! Copycat has 32 pp, and both Protect and Endure only have 16 :) Also, Flying types under 70 PP die to the set with rest, as you can get them to struggle with CopycatDig spam, then rest off their Struggles. This includes stuff like Specs Levitate Latios. However, there are many counters that a certain variety of Pokemon tend to run, such as Counter (situationally beat by Swords Dance and Earthquake (beat by Magnet Rise), but that doesn't stop Riolu from beating loads more pokemon!

I see, you want proof this Riolu can really take down Kyurem-Black, Porygon-Z, Heracross, Gardevoir, some Charizards, Choice Flying pokes, and much more, so here it is:

Charizard-Mega-X: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-262422147
Porygon-Z: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-262429767
Jirachi: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-260977417
Kyurem-Black: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-262430842
Victini: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-262432774
Latios: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-262436432
Gardevoir-Mega: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-262438744
Heracross-Mega: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-262440725
Lopunny-Mega: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/1v1-263710536
And many more...

Last edited:

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Counter
- Focus Blast​

Ampharos and Mega Ampharos have long been disrespected. These two in combination have the power to blow through the tier. An Ampharos with the ability to mega evolve has enough bulk and coverage to beat most of the tier. With this Ampharos spread Ampharos, or Fabio as one Pokeaimmd would say, has the power to take almost any physical hit.

Checks and Counters
A choice specs Meloetta with hyper beam can OHKO amphy.
Specs Latios can also give Ampharos a problem
Heatran with earth power can give Amphy a lot of problems
Chansey can wall this to the end
Mega Venu can also wall this thing
Victini has a 12 percent chance to ohko with V-create if it's banded and adamant- which is rare with speed being such a priority they usually run jolly
Also if any physical attackers goes for DD over an attack right away you could have a problem if you went for counter

Things It Beats
This set allows amphy to live a CB kyurem-b's outrage 100% of the time if u don't mega evolve.
Dragonite is also an easy KO with counter unless your opponent goes for DD
Fear strategies thanks to mold breaker
If you predict what zard your opponent is using you can win unless your opponent is a Zard X that starts going for DD when you counter
Rhyperior
Mega Lopunny
Sawk
Crustle
Greninja (if you predict its first move correctly)
Mega Slowbro
TTar (mega and non mega)
Manaphy
Mega Pinsir
Mega Metagross
Mega Mawile if it doesn't SD right of the bat
and the list goes on

Teammates
On my current team I use a specs greninja and scarf Victini and have been tearing through the ladder with a GXE of around 70

Conclusion
Mega Ampharos has been a great Mon for me that doesn't deserve a C rank. With this set mentioned I believe Amphy deserves at least a B rank. (My biased rating is S since he's my favorite, but I'm keeping it realistic with B).

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
Welp thought Id do a proper anylsis for the first time:

Aggron for A rank

Aggron is a sometimes overlooked threat in the 1v1 metagame, as it seems very weak to status abusers such as Zard x and other prominent threats in the meta. But do not let that fool you as it has both the power and bulk to get round these problems.

Set

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic
- Heavy Slam
- Head Smash
- Metal Burst

Set details

Toxic- against set up sweepers such as non sub Zard and non taunt gyarados this can allow it to toxic and spam metal burst, as even with non defensive evs it takes a lot of DDs for a gyarados to ohko with eq, and nobody runs eq anymore tbh ;_;. Also allows it to beat some of the stalliest mons such as Chansey and pory2

Heavy slam- a good way to consistently beat mawile as with even the bulkiest mawiles this will do 30 percent, against the non defense invested sets it rolls from 55 to 45, but a plus 2 brick break from mawile won't ohko so low rolls don't really matter either tbh.

Head smash- to tell you the power of this, after a will-o-wisp from offensive sub willo Zard x, Zard x isn't able to sub after its hit by this even with a burn on Aggron, as long as Aggron doesn't mega to abuse the stab. This also 2hkoes mega mence, and even in mega form ohkoes Kyurem black. It also ohkoes Zard y with a will-o-wisp on it.

Metal burst- this is the move that makes the set. Against all the attackers it can't ohko, this allows it to ohko back, like landorus and other special attackers. It allows it to solidly beat some things it could ohko, liek greninja, but without having to rely on a shaky accuracy move, head smash. It also allows it to stop set up sweepers in their tracks.

Checks and counters

1. Shadow ball specs meloetta.
This can do enough damage with shadow ball to 2hko Aggron but Aggron can't kill back with metal burst.
2. Mega ampharos
3. Arm thrust heracross
4. Rachi, if it flinches enough, if it is twave it usually haxes it's way thru me.
5. Counter will-o-wisp zard
6. Max hp Mence
7. Other Aggron with eq or not mon speed aggrons
8. slowbro, but if u predict right it can be beaten
9. Taunt mega gyarados.
10. Speed based strats like Breloom and smeargle
11. Non sandstorm aron
Common sets it beats

too many to do in number sooo...

Mega Mence, non bulky Zard, rhyperior, Kyurem black, meloetta (dependent on set, usually loses tho most run shadow ball), Porygon-z, porygon2,Avalugg,Zard y, talonflame, latios, gyarados(non taunt), whimsicott. There are quite a few more but I don't have time to post them rn so basaically...

Conclusion

Aggron is a very strong mon in the current metagame with very few checks and counters, but unfortunately most of them are quite prominent in this metagame and they always beat Aggron, no matter what, save for smeargle. But don't let that hold you back from using Aggron as it as a very strong albeit very underrated mon in 1v1, and definetly my favourite mon rn.

Edit: will add calcs later gotta run :p

Last edited:
Durant for C rank

No one suspects that a little ant with a 4x weakness to fire is any help at all. Despite that and having a small SpD, it packs quite a punch.

SET EXAMPLE
(Durant) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

This is my personal set. Durant has a pretty decent attack stat on its own at 109, but the hustle ability boosts it by 1.5x. Add a Choice Band and the boost goes up to 2x. Durant also has a great speed with a jolly nature letting out speed the likes of keldeo, charizard, and most other common annoyances. Giga Impact hits most everything hard, OHKOing frail opponents. Iron Head and X-Scissor are great stab attacks that hit anything weak to them hard(I am looking at you gardevoir). Rock Slide is a great counter to an unbulky charizard X. Stone edge can be replaced for this, but with hustle(which by the way also lowers Accuracy by 20%) can be quite risky. Superpower can provide cover a counter for heatran and Porygon2 but that is it. Aerial Ace also can provide cover for keldeo, but you are probably better off using giga impact despite the perfect accuracy. You can also use a Choice Scarf and a adamant nature for a speed increase with a bit of a power loss. Unfortunatly, hustle is that double edged sword that lowers the accuracy keeping it from B rank.

COUNTERS
Missing: It will happen. Against most physical attacks it doesn't matter if durant can take it. Against a special attacker it can cost you the match
Greninja: With durant's terrible SpD, Greninja easily OHKO's the banded durant's, but can be stopped with the scarf.
Special Scarves: Against durant most special scarves outspeed and OHKO durant.
Bulky Charizard X: It can survive a giga impact or rock slide, and proceed to KO it with fire attacks.
Fire Attacks: If they touch durant, it is over.
Aron: Due to Durant being a physical attacker only. It makes it hard for durant to win.
Intimidate: It can hinder durant's attack and make it less able to do its job letting the opponent beat it.
Sableye: Its will-o-wisp makes it hard for durant to sweep it. It can then stall durant out.
Steel Types: The ones without superpower can't hit the bulky defenses of these pokemon. Therefore, durant will probably be out powered.
Metal Burst/Counter: With its very physical nature it will be easily dispatched.

If it can land hits it can beat.
Non- Bulky charizard X
Charizard and Charizard Y
Mega Gyarados
Kyurem-B
Deoxys-D
Non fire attack Dragonite
Mega and non mega Gardevoir
Mega and non mega Metagross
Fairy types in general
most things B rank and below

CALCS!!!

offense
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 352-415 (108.9 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 169-199 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
what happens when multiscale dissapears?
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 296-350 (99.6 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO non bulky version
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 183-216 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 186-219 (54 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 124-147 (36 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

defense

252+ Atk Mega Metagross Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Durant: 118-139 (45.9 - 54%) -- 48.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Durant: 166-196 (64.5 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I know it might have fire punch, but.....
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Durant: 148-175 (57.5 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Durant: 129-153 (50.1 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Overall, Durant is a pretty good pokemon, but with some of those weaknesses it can not ascend above C rank. If it can hit your opponent it will hurt them a lot. Dont let that little ant fool you into lowering your defenses or else:P

Last edited:
Reactions: 1vI
Nice post Bronze0re... I do feel Durant deserves some sort of promotion, as it can beat lots of threats such as Meloetta, Gardevoir, Charizard-Mega-Y, and much more easily.
I personally love the Scarf set, but in my opinion running Metagross Clear Body Scarf with Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, and many more coverage moves, is just as helpful.

OK, I've recently started a pretty big project that I think will be useful for all of us... and quite fun to participate in making!
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=w1vCYTzG
Like this comment if you want to participate making it, and if you like I can post the pastebin here as a comment and leave it easy to edit and available to all of us!

Last edited:

Illusio

Bold and Brash
  1. I, in my entire 1v1 history, have never seen Banded Dragonite, Conkeldurr, Keldeo, or Regular Kyurem in 1v1, which shows that you may have an apparent lack of knowledge about 1v1. You also mention that the set beats Deoxys, which is banned. I would recommend getting more used to the 1v1 community before posting in the viability rankings.
  2. I honestly have never seen that set on Durant, which isn't a bad thing, but if you're going to have Durant, at least mention its more common niche of PP stalling with Entrainment Truant.

1. I, in my entire 1v1 history, have never seen Banded Dragonite, Conkeldurr, Keldeo, or Regular Kyurem in 1v1, which shows that you may have an apparent lack of knowledge about 1v1. You also mention that the set beats Deoxys, which is banned. I would recommend getting more used to the 1v1 community before posting in the viability rankings.
  2. I honestly have never seen that set on Durant, which isn't a bad thing, but if you're going to have Durant, at least mention its more common niche of PP stalling with Entrainment Truant.
Deoxys-Defense and Deoxys-Speed are not banned, which might be what they were talking about. Also, I've used both Banded Dragonite and Banded Kyurem in 1v1, as well as both Band and Scarf Durant, and they where very useful... so I don't think the guy it totally clueless, but yea, maybe a bit more experience in 1v1 would be good. Also, Entrainment Traunt is more of a gimmick set, while the Durant set mentioned was an entirely different Durant built for attacking, but should still be mentioned in a Durant post.

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
Illusio, what do u mean u have never seen banded dragonite. That's the most common Dragonite set...

I see Band Dragonite and Keldeo all the time. I was also talking about kyurem-B not regular(will change to avoid confusion ,and I have never even heard of that PP stall version of durant. I think I will try it.
Deoxys S and D are not banned(will clarify). And I do 1v1 constantly, whether with fam or friends or on showdown.

Deoxys-Defense and Deoxys-Speed are not banned, which might be what they were talking about. Also, I've used both Banded Dragonite and Banded Kyurem in 1v1, as well as both Band and Scarf Durant, and they where very useful... so I don't think the guy it totally clueless, but yea, maybe a bit more experience in 1v1 would be good. Also, Entrainment Traunt is more of a gimmick set, while the Durant set mentioned was an entirely different Durant built for attacking, but should still be mentioned in a Durant post.
Like I have said before, I have never even heard of truant durant up till now. It is not that I have not much experience with 1v1. I am sorta new to the forums. I am pretty good with 1v1(still trying to find a really good team for me though.).

Last edited by a moderator:

Illusio

Bold and Brash
You've used Banded Kyurem? Kyurem is outclassed in pretty much every way to Kyurem-Black. I agree with you that Entrainment Truant is a gimmick set, but at the same time, it's also the more common set (or it was, at least. I haven't seen it that much recently).

Illusio, what do u mean u have never seen banded dragonite. That's the most common Dragonite set...
It's also not even close to being the best set. Lum Berry/Weakness Policy Dragonite with Dragon Dance instantly gets the Banded boost in one turn, and isn't forced to use one move. Using a Band serves absolutely no purpose.

I see Band Dragonite and Keldeo all the time. I was also talking about kyurem-B not regular(will change to avoid confusion ,and I have never even heard of that PP stall version of durant. I think I will try it.
Deoxys S and D are not banned(will clarify). And I do 1v1 constantly, whether with fam or friends or on showdown.
If you see Keldeo "all the time", you must be pretty low on the 1v1 ladder. Here's what TIBot has to say about Keldeo:

Less than 1%? By this figure you should almost never see Keldeo, even on the low ladder. Keldeo still is not a good 1v1 Pokemon and is never used in 1v1, so the fact that you added Keldeo to your calc is a bit mind-boggling.

If you see Keldeo "all the time", you must be pretty low on the 1v1 ladder. Here's what TIBot has to say about Keldeo:

Less than 1%? By this figure you should almost never see Keldeo, even on the low ladder. Keldeo still is not a good 1v1 Pokemon and is never used in 1v1, so the fact that you added Keldeo to your calc is a bit mind-boggling.
OK. I see. I made a mistake. Though, If keldeo goes up in rank and gets used more then that calc wont be useless. Tips for other calcs or such i should add?
Also, I am pretty sure no one uses that truant durant set anymore.

You've used Banded Kyurem? Kyurem is outclassed in pretty much every way to Kyurem-Black. I agree with you that Entrainment Truant is a gimmick set, but at the same time, it's also the more common set (or it was, at least. I haven't seen it that much recently).

It's also not even close to being the best set. Lum Berry/Weakness Policy Dragonite with Dragon Dance instantly gets the Banded boost in one turn, and isn't forced to use one move. Using a Band serves absolutely no purpose.

lol I mean Banded Black Kyurem... and Banded Dragonite offers straight out power on turn one, rather than needing dragon dance to hit harder, but i see more dragon dance dragonites with lum berry anyways o-o... I also don't see Keldeo all the time, but it's almost one out of every 100 pokemon, so not that bad.

Otherwise, I'd like to complain about those hax abusing pokemon with mud slap, thunder wave, teeter dance, sleep abuse, and...... SERENE HAX ;_;
Serene Grace Thunderwave can make a battle, starting from turn two, just a flip of a coin. This makes strategy in pokemon lotsa useless... I'd just like to let you guys give your thoughts on this subject of HAX

Finally, Manaphy should get viability promo imo
Quite a few nominations in this post, so I'll make them short.
Manaphy from C to B or maybe A

Been using the acid armor/rain dance/scald/rest w/ Sitrus set for the past few months now, and I have to say that this thing is insane. It beats much of S Rank as long as your luck isn't completely terrible with scald and burns. Gyara/Mawile/Charizard Y/Charizard X/Megamence sometimes all lose to this, as well as much of A and B.

Then there's the Tail Glow + Custap Hyper Beam set, which is just as potent and gets kills on tons of things, I haven't tried it out yet, but I've seen it used.

Seriously, if you haven't tried this, it really is worth a shot.

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No Peers were pressured this time, updated alone :D
Updated the viability ranking to reflect raimon's newest analysis.

Rank changes:
Manaphy from C to B
Banette Mega from D to C.

Discussing:
Durant from Unranked to D or C
Keldeo from C to B
Cresselia from D to C

What do you all think about this?
Also I've talked with TI and I will add Hackmons 1v1 viability ranking after the meta is settled (Bans etc...)

EDIT: We need analysis for 5 A ranked Pokemon if anyone interested reserve or post right away (Togekiss, Metagross Mega, Garchomp, Dragonite and Aegislash)

Last edited:

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
I feel durant should def be moved from D to C, because it can ohko a shit-ton with band set, inc,using bulk Zard and bulk Kyub, which isn't something to be taken lightly.

In practice Keldeo is actually pretty bleh, just missing out on many key kills. I feel it should stay C.

Cress is Rly good, it's bulk allows it to overcome so many things. I'm going to go as far to suggest a B rank for this, it is rly good and bulky.

Ok I'll elaborate more but don't have much time now, hope I helped.

Reactions: DoW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)