Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

I am hoping to get some advice on TID/SID manipulation for Heart Gold. I have some experience with 5th gen RNG originally, and more recently have done 4th gen on my Platinum version. I was wondering specifically if it was realistic to search for a flawless pair of spreads with Timid and Bold as the natures. Other advice on doing this manipulation would be greatly appreciated as I am unsure what to expect. Thanks!

I am hoping to get some advice on TID/SID manipulation for Heart Gold. I have some experience with 5th gen RNG originally, and more recently have done 4th gen on my Platinum version. I was wondering specifically if it was realistic to search for a flawless pair of spreads with Timid and Bold as the natures. Other advice on doing this manipulation would be greatly appreciated as I am unsure what to expect. Thanks!
There is no hexaflawless Timid/Bold pairs, but there are pentaflawless pairs. Also note your mininum delay should be 5000+, 4000 is doable but pretty hard.

are you using lua script/pause/next frame/save states? pause the emulator using cntrl+p, advance the frame to the frame you have to hit using cntrl+n. hold down the 'a' button, unpause, and see what PID you got. Say I need to hit frame 100,000 and the PID i got is from 103,199. I'd do the 100,000-103,199=-3,199. Then, 100,000-3,199=96801. Then, I'd pause the emulator at frame ~96,000, then advance it to 96,801 using next frame. I'd hold 'a' while unpausing, and hit the correct frame every time.

Use VBA ReRecording ( https://code.google.com/p/vba-rerecording/ ) and you can view your frame
Usa Kaph's Lua scripts to view IVs/Nature/PID of encountered pkm ( http://projectpokemon.org/forums/sh...-3-Lua-Scripts&p=132145&viewfull=1#post132145 )

in theory, using an emulator you should only need to do it twice. Once to see how far off your target is from the frame you need to hit, and once more to hit it.
I've been using pause and next frame but even hitting the same frames isn't consistent.

So I get seed BA98 and my shiny frame is on 30561. Adding a delay of 325 I get 30886 so I hold A on 30885 and advance to the next frame and hit 30556.
Seed BA98 again. First attempt I was 5 frames behind so lets add 5 frames to the delay which is 30891. Hold A on 30890 and advance to the next frame and I hit 30556 again.

30886 gave frame 30556
30891 gave frame 30556

Something else is messing with this. This LUA script will make checking things a lot easier though.

Timey said:
There is no hexaflawless Timid/Bold pairs, but there are pentaflawless pairs. Also note your mininum delay should be 5000+, 4000 is doable but pretty hard.
Cool, thanks. The ones I had were 14 attack, but that works for me. I've ended up hitting delays of 5125 and 5129 multiple times, so it's hopefully only a matter of time until I hit 5127. What does the delay mean, by the way? Is it time in milliseconds? I was also wondering if eontimer accounts for every time you enter the delay you hit and press update. I've been inputting the delay each time and I have gotten pretty close, at least.

Cool, thanks. The ones I had were 14 attack, but that works for me. I've ended up hitting delays of 5125 and 5129 multiple times, so it's hopefully only a matter of time until I hit 5127. What does the delay mean, by the way? Is it time in milliseconds? I was also wondering if eontimer accounts for every time you enter the delay you hit and press update. I've been inputting the delay each time and I have gotten pretty close, at least.
The delay is a value that increases by 60 every second. When you're hitting delays -/+ 6 from your target delay, eontimer can't really get any closer when you update.

So the Mewtwos produced had the same IVs/nature/PID, yes?

EDIT: my guess is that youre being inconsistant at your last key press
I don't remember :/

I managed to get them to be shiny now on the emulator. The delay of around 327 seems to be how fast you get into the game. Getting into a battle seems to make the frames go crazy though, after catching a pokemon the delay changes based on how long you're in the battle so it grows to around 1000-3000 frames usually. Doing this on a GBA you have to catch a pokemon to find the seed of course and this delay is uncalculable so I guess my hopes of doing this on a GBA are pretty much gone.

RIP hopes and dreams.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I don't remember :/

I managed to get them to be shiny now on the emulator. The delay of around 327 seems to be how fast you get into the game. Getting into a battle seems to make the frames go crazy though, after catching a pokemon the delay changes based on how long you're in the battle so it grows to around 1000-3000 frames usually. Doing this on a GBA you have to catch a pokemon to find the seed of course and this delay is uncalculable so I guess my hopes of doing this on a GBA are pretty much gone.

RIP hopes and dreams.
I won't go into specifics (because it requires the use of...sketchy devices), but it's completely possible to write a save file from emulator to a retail cart, assuming you have access to an old prehistoric DS phat/Lite with a GBA slot.

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
in R/S/E wild captures with H-1/2/4, do I aim for the frame or the occidentary frame? there are several frames with the same spread but the same occidentary frame and im having trouble hitting any of them

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
in R/S/E wild captures with H-1/2/4, do I aim for the frame or the occidentary frame? there are several frames with the same spread but the same occidentary frame and im having trouble hitting any of them
You aim for the frame. The occidentary just provides extra info on what frame the IVs are drawn from/the same as.

Is there anywhere that has a list of the possible spreads for RNG in different generations/games (Emerald, Platinum, Soul Silver)?

For example, I'm wondering what the highest possible SpA IV would be for an Adamant 31/31/31/xx/31/31 spread in HGSS. Would also like a general reference for when I get into RNG.

Also, what is the absolute best Action Replay for Gen 3-5?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Not sure of a list other than this one of notable method 1 spreads. Not to say one doesn't exist, I just don't know of one :P All of the hexflawless ones for gen 3 are (much) higher than the ones tabulated, so someone else with emu experience might be able to direct you there (or to a more efficient way of searching for said spreads).

A quick search for method 1 and K spreads (delay 550-90000, frame 1-90000) shows 24 as the highest for Method 1 and 26 for Method K. The RNG Mechanics page has a large collection of guides that should help get you started :)

Last edited:
Not sure of a list other than this one of notable method 1 spreads. Not to say one doesn't exist, I just don't know of one :P All of the hexflawless ones for gen 3 are (much) higher than the ones tabulated, so someone else with emu experience might be able to direct you there (or to a more efficient way of searching for said spreads).

A quick search for method 1 and K spreads (delay 550-90000, frame 1-90000) shows 24 as the highest for Method 1 and 26 for Method K. The RNG Mechanics page has a large collection of guides that should help get you started :)
Interesting. Is 90000 frames the limit? Or is it possible to go higher if I was insane? lol

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Interesting. Is 90000 frames the limit? Or is it possible to go higher if I was insane? lol
Well, 99999 is the max I can type into the Time Finder :P Searched on that as well for the frames/delays and the results were the same.

You technically could go higher, but you would have to check each seed in the main window to see if the IVs are any different.

Well, 99999 is the max I can type into the Time Finder :P Searched on that as well for the frames/delays and the results were the same.

You technically could go higher, but you would have to check each seed in the main window to see if the IVs are any different.
And I bet that would take forever, haha.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
And I bet that would take forever, haha.
Yeah. Checking thousands of seeds one by one for a couple of IV points is not worth your time. Especially considering that advancing that many frames would take forever anyway (even on an emulator). Since the games were broken, it wouldn't surprise me if someone out there knows the max IVs technically possible.

Posted this on the 5th Gen RNG thread by mistake:

Somewhat random, but I'm curious:

What is the history of RNG in Pokemon? When did it first become a thing? Obviously it's possible to RNG in 3rd generation, but was it a 'thing' back then or did it not come until later?

Part of the reason I'm curious is because of the injected shiny Mew that people have from the Japanese event in Gen 3. Was wondering if it would even be possible for someone to have a legit RNG'd one because I have no idea when RNG became a thing.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
From what I can find on here, most of the guides/research threads were created back in 2009. That includes what looks to be an early-stage Emerald RNG thread, which was posted back in Jan '09. Of course, some of the research was probably done in 2008. Iirc mingot is the original creator of the RNG Reporter, and they joined Smogon in '08 (although it's possible they wrote the program before coming to Smogon...but I don't think that's the case). There's also an archived thread from December of 2008, supporting the 2008 or before date.

Just to give you an idea of timescale, it looks like Method H was supported in the reporter as of Dec 2011 (based on an update in this post).

It's certainly possible for someone to have a legit one since the event was back in 2005. The odds of finding one now though are pretty slim, especially if you allow for the 3-4 years for RNG.

On the other hand, all of this could be totally wrong and someone will come correct me...

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If your question is just about getting a shiny Mew, then it is entirely likely that there are several legitimate ones around; people knew about soft resetting (although that's not to say they haven't been carelessly overwritten, deleted, lost, damaged carts, etc.).

If you mean rng abused shiny Mew, then I suppose maybe just about covers it.
As well as what shiny finder said, there's also this thread which shows information that the exact LCRNG formula had already been found, so it probably wasn't too long after that. There's also the chance that other (likely Japanese) sites had figured it out before this point too, given they had had the game for 8 additional months (imports ignored).

But in any case, it's possible (although likelihood is questionable) that someone picked up Mew event, but never collected their copy (started soft resetting, and lost interest before getting one they wished to keep, for example)... So when they came back to it years later (when RNG abuse was a thing) they still were able to reset it.

Edit: This thread too.

Last edited:
From what I can find on here, most of the guides/research threads were created back in 2009. That includes what looks to be an early-stage Emerald RNG thread, which was posted back in Jan '09. Of course, some of the research was probably done in 2008. Iirc mingot is the original creator of the RNG Reporter, and they joined Smogon in '08 (although it's possible they wrote the program before coming to Smogon...but I don't think that's the case). There's also an archived thread from December of 2008, supporting the 2008 or before date.

Just to give you an idea of timescale, it looks like Method H was supported in the reporter as of Dec 2011 (based on an update in this post).

It's certainly possible for someone to have a legit one since the event was back in 2005. The odds of finding one now though are pretty slim, especially if you allow for the 3-4 years for RNG.

On the other hand, all of this could be totally wrong and someone will come correct me...
If your question is just about getting a shiny Mew, then it is entirely likely that there are several legitimate ones around; people knew about soft resetting (although that's not to say they haven't been carelessly overwritten, deleted, lost, damaged carts, etc.).

If you mean rng abused shiny Mew, then I suppose maybe just about covers it.
As well as what shiny finder said, there's also this thread which shows information that the exact LCRNG formula had already been found, so it probably wasn't too long after that. There's also the chance that other (likely Japanese) sites had figured it out before this point too, given they had had the game for 8 additional months (imports ignored).

But in any case, it's possible (although likelihood is questionable) that someone picked up Mew event, but never collected their copy (started soft resetting, and lost interest before getting one they wished to keep, for example)... So when they came back to it years later (when RNG abuse was a thing) they still were able to reset it.

Edit: This thread too.
Awesome! Thanks for that, I find all this very curious even if I don't really understand how RNG works, lol. So RNG has been around since at least mid-2007.

It's cool to think that it is entire possible there is a legit Shiny Mew out there with competitive IVs even if it's not too likely. :)

The IV-spread (plus the rest, like nature, etc) are determined by the frame.

The list of Dragon_ and Drakero is just the spreads they made shiny by finding a SID to match the PID and TID of that save file. I have a similar list.
Thomaz But see, that's where I get confused! :(

How do you do that? Because, again, the reason I'm confused is that on Dragon and Drakero's list of save files the TID of his two Japanese files is the same as his English ones. How do you do that without TID abuse?

"What you do is find a SID that makes the frame you wanna hit shiny with the TID you're using."

I don't get that either, sigh. Does that mean when you create the file you don't worry at all about the TID; then once you know what it is you can look for spreads that match it? /such a noob lol

edit: FYI, for what its worth, I'm really trying to learn about RNG! It's just when I read guides and shit I still don't really understand it. Would be so much easier if I knew someone IRL who could show me; or if there were some amazingly detailed videos that show every aspect of RNG for each generation from start to finish.

Thomaz But see, that's where I get confused! :(

How do you do that? Because, again, the reason I'm confused is that on Dragon and Drakero's list of save files the TID of his two Japanese files is the same as his English ones. How do you do that without TID abuse?

"What you do is find a SID that makes the frame you wanna hit shiny with the TID you're using."

I don't get that either, sigh. Does that mean when you create the file you don't worry at all about the TID; then once you know what it is you can look for spreads that match it? /such a noob lol

edit: FYI, for what its worth, I'm really trying to learn about RNG! It's just when I read guides and shit I still don't really understand it. Would be so much easier if I knew someone IRL who could show me; or if there were some amazingly detailed videos that show every aspect of RNG for each generation from start to finish.
It's exactly as you said. Don't worry about the TID at all. It's all about finding the right SID. The reason they have two files with the same TID is simple. They made a savestate after getting the TID, then used that savestate to make two SIDs match different IV-spreads. The gist of it is that when your character shrinks, the SID is set, which means waiting a couple of frames gives you the same TID (because it's already set) but a different SID.

My way is really old-fashioned (but it has worked for me so far). I'll send you a PM since I don't want create a giant post.

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
is there a link for an old version of reporter? i dont have any parameters to plug in to the configure menu so havent been able to use pandora's box on the newest version

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)