VGC 2016 Rules - "Uber" legendaries are back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This wouldn't be such a bad idea had they just banned the primals + mega Rayquayquay. Despite not having Regenerator in ORAS, I would have loved to try out Ho-Oh + Regular Groudon on a sun team or something like that. Can't do that viably with all this primal bullshit running around :T

... Fuck. Just fuck. I'm done. I am not SRing this shit, I am not playing uber battles like fucking PBR all over again.
2015 was perfect. ;_;
Zygarde would be cool, yes, but against Mega Ray and PDon... no.

I dunno, maybe Primal Groudon would just be so much fun for a Drought legend like me that I could deal with MegaRay annihilating 2+ pokemon every game but I'm leaning towards "I probably have to find a new metagame".
And we STILL don't get Telepathy Dialga and Multiscale Lugia to play with.

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
I would honestly like to see how the person who wrote that description justifies any aspect of the description. It honestly sounds like they got someone that does not understand Pokemon in the slightest to write that and as such interjected a severely misinformed bias that basically holds little to no truth outside of "massive damage"...

Last edited:
This wouldn't be such a bad idea had they just banned the primals + mega Rayquayquay. Despite not having Regenerator in ORAS, I would have loved to try out Ho-Oh + Regular Groudon on a sun team or something like that. Can't do that viably with all this primal bullshit running around :T
Actually, yeah, I'd be fine with no Primals / MegaRay. Iffy on Mega Mewtwo though. Would be rapetastic, but on the good side it's fucking Freeza so I'd forgive it.
I'll give the meta a shot but it's an 80% chance I'm done with VGC for at least a year.

I was about to get into VGCs this year, until I saw this ruleset.

Yeah, I have a Shiny Penta Rayquaza with the most important IVs and Nature, but I never cared to use it competitively and I sure as heck don't want to fight other ones.

M-Rayquaza and P-Groudon will be on 99.99% of teams, and that's not fun for anyone

"...Rayquaza is something of a risky one-trick Ponyta. It's quick, it deals massive damage, and its mediocre defensive stats and myriad of weaknesses make it very easy to knock out. A Rayquaza that lasts long enough to attack a few times will often deliver its Trainer a victory, but failing to do so can lose the battle for its team just as easily."

I have a feeling that the guy who wrote this has no idea how much of a monster M-Ray is. Forget CHALK, forget M-Kanga, M-Ray is literally a requirement now.
myriad of weaknesses.
Guy forgot about Delta Stream and how that specifically gets rid of it.

Also "attack a few times"
This metagame IS a few attacks.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've got this funny feeling that Mega Rayquaza and P-Groudon being allowed will be abused like heck - and that some Japanese kids will find a way past them, making the counter-Rayquaza-team the most popular all over Top 32.

A successful team in this metagame is one which can utilize its non-Uber-Pokémon in a meaningful way. Like, for instance, KO-ing or weakening the opposing Ubers to pave the way for their own Ubers. That, or supporting the Ubers to become even more fearsome. Follow Me/Rage Powder + Power Herb Xerneas springs to mind immediately. Either way, relying solely on the Ubers sounds like a plan that will only take you so far.

Did they seriously not think about how absurdly powerful the Primals and MegaRay are? I mean that shit's okay in story mode but they obviously are beyond the limits of competitive battling and don't care what Smogon thinks about it... at least I thought they assumed that. If only vanilla Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza (and I'll even throw in Mewtwo to be consistent) were allowed, this could've been an acceptable ruleset, but it seems very little care went into this.
To think I wanted to be involved this year...

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Nice Xerneas check would be Wide Guard Gyro Ball Aegislash imo

E: also nice to deal with primals, Low Kick Mega Kang will be more popular now

Also, I have found one pokemon that I think with the right support could be interesting, being Kyurem-Black. Teravolt lets it smash Mega Rayquaza to bits, although Xerneas is a real problem. I'm currently trying to build it with tailwind as support, with this set (the EVs are pretty random though):

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Level: 50
EVs: 84 Atk / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect
- Earth Power

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
I remember with Generation Showdown this use to be a thing:

Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gravity
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Icy Wind

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance

Will be fun to use again :)

Last edited:
Well I bet the Wifi section (and my thread) will get a lot of traffic. Hopefully people will use genuine SR'd legends rather than genned ones. It's not likely getting them is hard.

Well I bet the Wifi section (and my thread) will get a lot of traffic. Hopefully people will use genuine SR'd legends rather than genned ones. It's not likely getting them is hard.
You can't deny the fact that it takes time though, so my dreams of getting a lot of time to chill and relax and do nothing this christmas just went out the window ;_;

You can't deny the fact that it takes time though, so my dreams of getting a lot of time to chill and relax and do nothing this christmas just went out the window ;_;
It takes time and a lot of prep and patience for sure but the knowledge to get flawless stuff is out there. I don't find it stressful as long as I think about the outcome.

I've still got to go back to Zapdos which remains at Sea Spirit Cavern.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Just like top japanese players used anti meta teams to counter Mega Kanga and friends in vgc 15?
oh wait haha
True that.

I guess my statement depends on what the meta will turn out to be like, though. If a reliable answer to Rayquaza and Groudon-P is found early on and becomes popular, that team might be metagame-defining on a higher level. Less experienced players may still just stick the "theoretically strongest" 'mons on their team, and those are powerful enough to be dangerous if left unchecked, so some way to take them down will probably be found on most teams. It all boils down, I guess, to whether the popular answer to Mega Rayquaza will involve another Mega Rayquaza or not.

If mega Ray doesn't have a mega stone can't I use Mega Kang and Mega Ray.
No, still counts as a Mega therefor consuming your Mega Slot for the battle once it opens the console and types "tgm" goes Mega.

Also, Rocky Helmet Cress will probably be even more of a thing. Eternal Sun for Moonlight healing? Check. Ground immune? Check. Mega Ray / Pdon relying on contact moves to hit it? Check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)